The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon

+4
djlovesyou
trickstat
alfie
lsabre
8 posters

Go down

Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon Empty Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon

Post by lsabre Sat 4 Jun - 7:44

I guess I'm lost for words to describe what Mo Farah did a few hours earlier round the track in Oregon. Overwhelming or sensational maybe? I don't know, that sounds too little for me.... That was the very definition of an astonishing performance! And to think that there had been so much talking over whether he could take over from Jon Brown as UK record holder over 10000m, having set 27:18.14 in Brussels 1998. As it turned out, he just needed to turn up in a race over the distance as he literally obliterated that milestone on his way and scattered its ashes in the winds of Oregon!

There had been plenty of argument over whether he could draw inside 27 minutes; he did answer that in imperious style as well! But to reign supreme in a race of such immense depth against a host of top Africans, shattering Mohammed Mourhit's (BEL) European record of 26:52.30 in the process, was beyond everyone's wildest dreams and expectations. That was surreal, phenomenal! I feel it's going to take some time to sink in, but what has been laid down without a doubt is a massive new European record of 26:46.57 by this great man, Mo Farah. Hail the new king!

I sense that a mere look at the results offers a measure of the magnitude of his feat, so here they are:
http://www.diamondleague-eugene.com/Live-StartlistsResults/Overview/10000m-Men/

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun - 14:51; edited 4 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon Empty Re: Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon

Post by lsabre Sat 4 Jun - 8:08

In the wake of Mo Farah's sensational victory and European record, I feel that Britain's golden hopes for either Daegu or London no longer rest heavily on Jessica Ennis and Phillips Idowu's shoulders alone as the double European champion comes to take a substantial share in the burden of expectation and offers hope that more will step up to the plate and rise as gold medal contenders now the way is shown. It only takes a few to break through into new territories to inspire many others to follow.

Incidentally, that makes the third UK record to have been laid down this season, a very promising number so far, following those of Sophie Hitchon with 69.43m in the hammer and Tiffany Porter's 12.77 secs over 100m hurdles in Hengelo last Sunday, but that one carries special weight as pure world class material. Mo is now standing on top of the world and few could argue against him being a genuine gold medal contender heading to Daegu.

On top of that, one should mention that Farah remains unbeaten over the distance since 2008 having won all three of his races since which is no mean feat at all in itself. As for scalps collected today round the track of Eugene, Imane Merga, Zersenay Tadesse, Sileshi Sihine, Moses Masai and Geoffrey Kipsang are a few massive names to mention that speak volumes for the size of the Brit's greatest ever victory yet.

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun - 14:51; edited 3 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon Empty Re: Farah smashes European 10000m record in Oregon

Post by Guest Sat 4 Jun - 12:20

One wonders what the true potential of other British athletes are given motivation, commitment and coaching. He beat his personal best by nearly three-quarters of a minute at the age of 28!

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 4 Jun - 13:08

Wow !

I thought after last year's Europeans that Farah was capable of something even better over 10,000 but I never dreamed of that time.

Got to take him seriously as a medal - even possible gold? - chance for Daegu/London now...

And (eventually) one wonders what he might do at the marathon?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Sat 4 Jun - 13:21

lsabre - Mo Farah was actually 5th on his 10000 debut in 2008. He is unbeaten in his 3 races since then.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 4 Jun - 13:32

Yeah, I'm sorry Trickstat, I've left this race at Stanford a bit behind me *laugh*. So he's unbeaten since his debut back in 2008 over the past three years!

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun - 14:52; edited 1 time in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 4 Jun - 14:03

It was pretty funny how he ran the race too.

Always at the very back of the back (until about the last mile) and every couple of laps or so losing a few metres to the pack as another athlete in front of him started to struggle and drop off the back.

If I'd known just what great shape he was in, it wouldn't have been so nervy but it always looked like he was perhaps suffering a bit and he might not get back on. That was soon alleviated as soon as he made his move to the front. He looked impervious.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Sat 4 Jun - 14:08

wow wow wow! Astonishing. Look at how many of the guys got PBs behind him too so no one was off their game! By my reckoning this result makes Mo the 14th fastest man ever over the distance on the track. Superb.

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 4 Jun - 15:24

I've got to say, having seen the whole race now, that I've been impressed with the way and confidence Mo dealt with the challenge laid before him last night. I guess that when he checked out that starting-list and saw the names thereon and the SB/PBs attached to he must have figured out he was lying in the bottom half of the starters on paper!

Yet, he was neither daunted by whom were there lined up alongside him on the starting line nor by his relatively 'slow' PB or inexperience going into the race. He was always looking assured, composed and in control of things even if he looked like drifting towards the back and well off the main pace through the first 5000m. In fact, he may have set out with Jon Brown's record more in mind so held off the early pace but as the race wore on he grew in confindence and started feeling that he had a lot more in the tank.

At that point, I've got to say that I'm most surprised to have seen Chris Solinsky depart hardly past 3000m into the race, which coupled with Galen Rupp's non-start completed a miserable evening for the hosts who were holding high hopes of a new national record over the distance.

Beyond the halfway mark, Mo kept slightly off the pace but started working his way steadily through the field, obviously sensing that the leading pack wasn't beyond him, and did not really show into the race until the eighth km when he moved into the leading nine - yet was looking amazingly comfortable, not rushing into anything and always with a hold on what was going on at the top of the race.

From there on, he looked to me that he more of moved to the head of the race to control matters from there, looking very happy, rather than force the pace into a long finish and only opted to wind it up after the bell. Where I guess to the amazement of most, rather than Merga to stick with him and surge past in the late stages it was Mo who opened up a gap to stretch him up the back straight and when he moved up another gear past the 200m the Ethiopian had no reply, pulling away to a comprehensive victory in that new European record of 26:46.57. I am so impressed the way he handled the race in those last stages and the timing of his pace turns was superb, showing someone brimming with confidence, tactically astute and well aware of his own position and strength.

Yesterday, he made history in so many ways; a new European record, a new British record and won the race with the most impressive depth ever in history with no less than nine runners dipping under 27 mins. And judging by the names behind him and the manner he saw off that field, many of whom set PBs of their own, he will be heading as a genuine gold medal contender in three months in Daegu with a finishing kick that is going to be tough for anyone to deal with.

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun - 14:52; edited 8 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by UN03 Sat 4 Jun - 16:14

Great perofrmance by Mo, he beat Sileshi Sihine too - the world and olympic silver medalist.

UN03

Back to top Go down

Post by Soreshins Sat 4 Jun - 16:45

Race video here: http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?do=videos&event_id=120

Mo doesn't get a mention until 20:40 into the race, not even in the pre-race chat! He ran an excellent race though, and some serious speed at the end. 14th fastest of all time.

Soreshins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 4 Jun - 20:01

Thanks for the race video link - an amazing breakthrough performance from Mo Farah clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzymiyagh1 Sun 5 Jun - 0:32

Regarding Farah's performance and record over the 10, 000, I'm lost for words ( well nearly )...

We all know Farah's gutsy; we all know he has some solid talent. But seemed there there would always be an enormous gulf between him and the world's absolute elite. Expectations will now be different...this is a major milestone and game-changer!

Well done Mo ... Very Happy

Izzymiyagh1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down