The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane

+15
Haito
Lance
Steffan
dangerous_mouse
Hammersmith harrier
BoxingFan88
catchweight
Baby faced assassin
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
Dipper Brown
AdamT
Coxy001
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane Empty Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 May 2016, 7:36 am

Late August. Surely we can get affordable tickets to this one?

They'll need to flood the undercard to fill a ground. I imagine the McDonnells will feature.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane Empty Re: Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 21 May 2016, 7:50 am

Quality businessman is Eddie....Fact it's a unification will sell it...Plus a draw with an off form Bradley.....

Don't rate Vargas.....Won't be buying it..

But plenty will....and that's all that counts..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane Empty Re: Brook vs Vargas - Unification Bramall Lane

Post by Coxy001 Sat 21 May 2016, 8:12 am

Truss, in all fairness I've never known you to buy a PPV. Father in law cut off your £20 a week? Wink

Like this fight. Not a big name but a level up from Jo jo etc.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 21 May 2016, 8:15 am

If it was Khan v Vargas you'd me moaning..

You know you would.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 May 2016, 8:23 am

Report into ticket touting suggests secondary selling sites could be criminalised. Needs to happen. If I can get a £40-60 ticket for this I'll attend.

Fury tickets were astronomical.

Good move for Kell. Needs big fights all the way from here on in. Bradley, Garcia, Spence etc.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 21 May 2016, 8:34 am

This fight is probably a big enough fight for Kell to take on two stiffs after....."People shouldn't forget Kell unified the title in his last fight"..

Hearn is a top class operator...He knows how much leeway he has with the fans..

Happy to be proved wrong though.....

I'll buy Wlad 2 but not this.......

Enjoy the weekend.. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 21 May 2016, 8:36 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:This fight is probably a big enough fight for Kell to take on two stiffs after....."People shouldn't forget Kell unified the title in his last fight"..

Hearn is a top class operator...He knows how much leeway he has with the fans..

Happy to be proved wrong though.....

I'll buy Wlad 2 but not this.......

Enjoy the weekend.. Wink

Always looking to bash the kid? Isn't that your words, when anybody dares challenge poor little Amir. Vargas is no Floyd Mayweather, but he is a good fighter and a step in the right direction.

So give the kid a break!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sat 21 May 2016, 8:40 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If it was Khan v Vargas you'd me moaning..

You know you would.

He's a damn sight more appealing than Algieiri/Alexander. At least he's a current player in the division and not a journeyman/gatekeeper.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 May 2016, 8:57 am

It's a good fight and would set Brook in the right direction. His next mandatory is Spence so we could see Vargas, Bradley, Spence.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 21 May 2016, 8:59 am

hazharrison wrote:It's a good fight and would set Brook in the right direction. His next mandatory is Spence so we could see Vargas, Bradley, Spence.

If he wins all three, he would have definitely turned a huge corner. I think he beats the first two.

I like what I see in Spence. Time will tell, but I think he has too much ability for Brook and every other Welter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 May 2016, 9:26 am

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:It's a good fight and would set Brook in the right direction. His next mandatory is Spence so we could see Vargas, Bradley, Spence.

If he wins all three, he would have definitely turned a huge corner. I think he beats the first two.

I like what I see in Spence. Time will tell, but I think he has too much ability for Brook and every other Welter.

I'd take Brook in that one. Home advantage would be crucial.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 21 May 2016, 9:27 am

Oh I'm not sure. I like Spence. Be a good fight though.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 21 May 2016, 9:40 am

Step in the right direction, definitely. Hopefully the names around welter will start fighting each other.

Never really meant much to me Brook holding that IBF title. 3rd man behind Floyd and Manny at the time, belt was a token.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 21 May 2016, 10:57 am

Won't be buying it. Good step in the right direction finally though which is a good thing, but having seen him against Bradley, I'm expecting Brook to seriously hurt this guy and stop him mid rounds. Bradley tagged him hard and clean and isn't a renown power puncher, Brook has some to hurt you with.

Vargas did well against Ali which was unexpected. But don't expect that here. Brook stops him.

Hopefully after this he can chase the real pack at Welter.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 21 May 2016, 11:29 am

Think we knew this one was coming. A 'unification' against the weakest (on paper at least) of the other belt holders. Hey Vargas is a step in the right direction so no complaints here... It's sensible matchmaking.

If he can't beat the guy Bradley out classed then he's not beating the others. Like truss I fear this cuts him slack for a couple of jojo defences but fingers crossed it opens up some really big fights.

And coxy, Vargas has fought one top quality fighter and lost. Other than that it's a lot of mediocrity and he has a number of flattering 'house fighter' cards in his record. The future might tell us differently but on current evidence it's not really a step up from Algieri and Alexander. It's about on a level.

For the record I think brook wins this but Vargas is game, so it will be a decent fight. Brook beats Garcia too. Bit early to say on spence. Thurman? At the moment I'd err to brook but be interesting to see Thurman porter next month as its a step up for Thurman.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 21 May 2016, 11:44 am

Definitely a good fight for Brook and a step in the right direction but only that because while I like Vargas and think he's a very good fighter he isn't among the elite

Pressures on Brook to perform, like I said Vargas isn't in the elite bracket and while he didn't embarrass himself or get exposed as a fraud, baring the last 30 seconds when he almost KOed Bradley, he was well beaten in that fight and Brook will have to perform at least as good as Bradley for people in america to take him serious

Vargas' problem is that he doesn't hit very hard for a welterweight, but will come into the fight full of confidence in the way he almost KOed Bradley and he got a very good KO win over Ali who the americans had high hope for

Good fight, hope it isn't PPV

Brook needs to win adn make it a good win if he's going to get the fights he want
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 21 May 2016, 12:06 pm

Its a fight that is shy of being in amongst the top welters but given whats avaliable its a good option. Accumlating a second title will hopefully make Brook a more attractive option for other fighters in the division. I really hope this is a step towards consistently fighting top names and contenders rather than a fight purely to take the heat off them and then going back to defending against a supply of santioning body ranked mediocrity. I dont think Vargas is a particularly good fighter from what I have seen so Brook should win, but the fight should open up more doors and options for Brook afterwards.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 21 May 2016, 2:26 pm

Good fight

Vargas had a good win last time out and he is the best available opponent

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 21 May 2016, 9:06 pm

It's a good fight but one Brook should win quite easily, I haven't seen anything in Vargas to suggest he troubles him, it does however set him up for bigger fights against the rest of the Americans. Hopefully Bradley follows which should be a formality at this point in setting up the fight with Spence Jnr nicely which is too close to call, fully expect however someone like Bundu followed by vacating the IBF.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Sun 22 May 2016, 8:21 pm

Easy fight for Brook and a nice little fan please-er so he can fight 3 more nobodies after.

Eddie is a slippery little snake.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 23 May 2016, 4:12 pm

Brook is a good prospect and having been a professional for only 12 years this will be a good step up

Khan the ducker will continue to take easy fights like Canelo to avoid Brook

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 4:19 pm

Steffan wrote:Brook is a good prospect and having been a professional for only 12 years this will be a good step up

Tocker Pudwill

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 23 May 2016, 4:21 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Steffan wrote:Brook is a good prospect and having been a professional for only 12 years this will be a good step up

Tocker Pudwill
Not really what this has to do with Kell Brook but there we go

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 4:28 pm

Steffan wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Tocker Pudwill
Yet again I have to point out that you're happy to tar Brook with the "ducking/soft defences" brush but fail spectacularly to see the comparisons with Calzaghe which, to be frank, makes you a hypocrite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 23 May 2016, 4:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Steffan wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Tocker Pudwill
Yet again I have to point out that you're happy to tar Brook with the "ducking/soft defences" brush but fail spectacularly to see the comparisons with Calzaghe which, to be frank, makes you a hypocrite.
Why just mention Calzaghe then? Why not other fighters with "questionable records"?

I find it strange you just seem to target one fighter to compare with Brook. And hypocrite or not...I can say what I like about Brook on here. If you don't like it then just don't come on this forum or STFU

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 23 May 2016, 5:06 pm

Hard not to be cynical with Brooks career. I think after he wins this he gives up one of the belts to avoid his mandatory spence. Says hes unified world champ and the governing body cant force him into a timeframe that doesnt suit him. After that we will see 3 defences in Sheffield against overmatched opponents

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 5:12 pm

Lance wrote:Hard not to be cynical with Brooks career. I think after he wins this he gives up one of the belts to avoid his mandatory spence. Says hes unified world champ and the governing body cant force him into a timeframe that doesnt suit him. After that we will see 3 defences in Sheffield against overmatched opponents
What is there about Spence to suggest Brook should look to avoid him? It's exactly the kind of fight he needs to shut people like you (no disrespect obviously) up. If there's any ducking, the chances are it's on the part of Eddie which would strongly suggest that whilst he's claiming Brook is a top WW, he clearly doesn't fancy his chances against one of them. I blame Eddie because as much as I like Brook, something tells me he's not at the forefront when it comes to being involved in negotiations surrounding his career. Eddie's obviously said, "Leave it all to me, Kell. I'll sort out the opponents and finances. I'll also sort out promotional taglines by waiting until that DAVE667 comes up with something brilliant then I'll steal his f*cking idea and not credit him with a f*cking thing despite the fact it wouldn't kill me to f*cking mention it once in a f*cking while!"

Sorry, went off track a bit there

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 23 May 2016, 5:15 pm

Its not just about ducking. These overmatched guys come to a sold out Sheffield arena for peanuts. Spence wouldnt. Eddie loves to milk the belts. Having a second for Brook is not a good sign for those wanting to see him forced into putting Brook in big fights

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Mon 23 May 2016, 9:44 pm

I think Brook will be the forgotten man of British boxing when he retires if he continues down this path and given the guys obvious talent thst would be a shame.

He hasnt been involved in any epic fights that fans will reminisce about and his cv is very bare on top level opponents.

My hope is he has a Frochesque finish to his career and we get to see him in 3,4 top fights fairly close together where he can really showcase the ability he has and boost a very average youtube highlights reel and cv to boot.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 24 May 2016, 8:52 am

Bit of a stretch comparing Brook to Calzaghe. Calzaghe a clearly fantastic fighter who took his sweet time proving it. At the moment Brook looks like he could be something but until he gets in there with someone at a higher level, we don't know.
I said a while back Brook fans could look at Calzaghe's career and hope that Brook can get on that path, but it's far from certain 1) he will 2) he's capable even if he gets the opportunity.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 24 May 2016, 2:37 pm

I've got a feeling that Vargas knocks Brook out. I reckon his powers improved at Welter as shown in the Ali and 12th against Bradley. Be nice to be right for thrice too.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 25 May 2016, 11:38 pm

Never happening. Ali was a prospect expecting to win and certainly wasn't a proper KO. Never really had him in trouble much,

The only spiteful punchers at WW seem to be Thurman, Brook and Spence.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 26 May 2016, 1:57 pm

When did a bum like Brook become a PPV and stadium fighter? BeatImg stiffs like Dan, Gavin and Bizier makes a star now does it?

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 26 May 2016, 1:58 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:When did a bum like Brook become a PPV and stadium fighter? BeatImg stiffs like Dan, Gavin and Bizier makes a star now does it?

No but beating Porter away from home was good. Granted his record hasn't been great since, but Vargas is a step in the right direction.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2016, 2:04 pm

AdamT wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:When did a bum like Brook become a PPV and stadium fighter? BeatImg stiffs like Dan, Gavin and Bizier makes a star now does it?

No but beating Porter away from home was good. Granted his record hasn't been great since, but Vargas is a step in the right direction.
Don't bother Adam, thought I'd heard from Jermaine before and he's no fan of Kell

Brook vs another bum
Post by Jermaine2015 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 26 May 2016, 2:07 pm

AdamT wrote:

So beating one decent world level opposition offset by 35 stiffs makes Brook a PPV and stadium fighter? Brook is the biggest chump going ahead.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2016, 2:08 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

So beating one decent world level opposition offset by 35 stiffs makes Brook a PPV and stadium fighter? Brook is the biggest chump going ahead.
Told you, Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 26 May 2016, 2:14 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

How many boxers in a division do you not consider to be chumps then Gerry?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 26 May 2016, 2:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Told you, Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did indeed!!!!

BUM!!!!!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 26 May 2016, 8:25 pm

I know we hate excuses in boxing, but for me Brooks excuses are rather legitimate, the guy got stabbed and injured and therefore his last three opponents since winning the belt haven't been great, one was a keep busy and the other two mandatories. We do love to slate Kell Brook though, who I'm pretty confident does want to face the other tops fighters. It seems he finally has a clear run at them and starting with Vargas is very good. I also do not believe for a second once Spence becomes mandatory they'll fold the belt. As Hearn said he is more than happy to take a 75/25 split on that fight, which will obviously be PPV here, if Kell progresses to that stage and is still holding the belt of course. Say I'm gullible but I have believed in Brook from yonks back, when everyone was ripping him in the Matthew Hatton days. Brooks the real deal to me and have quite firmly believed that from day one.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2016, 11:45 am

I'm with Alex on this. Brook can say he wants to fight whomever he wants but it's Eddie's job to get it signed. Would also like to believe that if Kell was genuinely turning down risky fights, Eddie would get rid of him in a hot minute. I also genuinely feel Kell is one of the best WW around and has a genuine desire to prove himself. I sincerely hope he gets the chance to prove it and, if he loses, I won't think any the worse of him for trying.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 27 May 2016, 1:32 pm

Thurman and possibly Spence are his toughest competition. I believe he beats the rest for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2016, 2:26 pm

Not even sure Thurman is that great to be honest and at this stage, Spence is little more than a WW Jeff Lacy. Granted he may turn out to be a special fighter like Crawford is proving himself to be but I'm wary of the hype surrounding this kid (especially from the bandwagon jumpers on here)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 27 May 2016, 2:32 pm

Even Crawford i'm too sure about, the Postol fight is massive for him as his three fights at 140lbs have been gimmes to be honest, not too sure he has the power people think, anyone with a good chin has taken him the distance so far.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2016, 2:47 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Even Crawford i'm too sure about, the Postol fight is massive for him as his three fights at 140lbs have been gimmes to be honest, not too sure he has the power people think, anyone with a good chin has taken him the distance so far.
Never stopped Mayweather did it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 27 May 2016, 2:51 pm

The Dulorme fight was an eye opener for that, he was getting outboxed for the first five rounds before one big punch changed it all, against someone with a better chin he'd have been in big trouble that night.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 27 May 2016, 4:20 pm

I just like what I see In Spence. Early yet of course, but he has a good all round game.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 28 May 2016, 3:32 pm

I think Spence is pretty special. He is very high on the suspect list of people on PEDs for most people it seems though. Not saying he is of course.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 28 May 2016, 3:42 pm

Most people? ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 28 May 2016, 5:03 pm

Most people in the know on PEDs in the game, guys who openly suspect people

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next