The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

+22
monty junior
kwinigolfer
I'm never wrong
Snap Hook
LadyPutt
AlciG
navyblueshorts
sportform
EmmDee57
1GrumpyGolfer
owen10ozzy
Shotrock
Davie
SmithersJones
sirbenson
super_realist
wiretapper
McLaren
GPB
GJ AUSSIE MAN
Be_the_ball
pedro
26 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jul 2016, 5:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Hey, Didn't we just have a Major?
Here we go again, the PGA Championship on Tillinghast's Baltusrol in Northern New Jersey. The PGA used to be known as Glory's Last Shot until the PGA Tour interfered and suggested the PGA Of America change their slogan as the FedEx Cup was really the pros' last chance at "Glory".
Yeah, yeah.
But we're in New Jersey, Springsteen's manor, so let's just celebrate four Glory Days, even though the "speedball" will be rocketing off the face of a golf club rather than from the hand of a baseball pitcher.

2).It's perhaps unrealistic to expect a repeat of the thrilling duel between Stenson and Mickelson but a great field should produce its own thrills and spills as most of the players compete in the USA for the first time in a month.
As for Henrik's and Phil's reactions to Troon:
Henrik: "It's a boyhood dream come true, and something I wanted to achieve all my life, and then it finally happened."
Phil: "It's the first time in my career that I have played that level of golf and not had it be enough to win a tournament."

3).Half a dozen golfers left Glen Abbey thinking they gifted Jhonny Vegas the Canadian Open win - happy to see Martin Laird secure his card and fleetingly stick his nose in front before treading water for his final few holes; and Kuchar & Snedeker will feel they squandered golden opportunities to wrap up their automatic Ryder Cup Team place. Kuchar, Fowler and Reed are all headed to Rio (for eleven days according to Rickie) so the guess here is that Davis Love has tipped all three the wink that their RC participation is assured.

4).After this week, the Tour visits Hartford, the Quad Cities and Greensboro and anyone out of the FedEx Top 125 points placings after that lot loses their chance at a Barclays tee-time, and possibly their Tour card for next season as well.
Including Jamie Donaldson and it's looking increasingly as if he's given up on his PGA Tour membership - whether it's his schedule, his game or both, things don't seem to have worked out for him, professionally at least, so for him this possibly really his "last shot".

5).Phil has history on his side as he looks to get right back on his horse to "defend" the PGA Championship he won at Baltusrol in 2005; he then went on to win the very next Major, at Augusta in April, 2006, so he should relish the chance to go from disappointment to a relative comfort zone.

6).Top 50 finishers among the 24 playing tomorrow who finished behind Phil that week include:
T10: Vijay, Toms
T17: Zach, Westwood
T23: Sergio
T28: Vaughn Taylor
T34: Bohn, Furyk, Freddie Jac
T40: Scott, KJ Choi
T47: Ryan Palmer, Stenson, Yang
Not much course form to go by there.

7).Baltusrol has the reputation as a bit of a tree-lined snoozer, all Par-3's and 4's except the Par-5's 17th and 18th: The 18th was the easiest hole in 2005, a reachable Par-5 but it has now been lengthened with a narrow driving area dominated by water alongside the fairway. Unless there's a following wind, only the longest/most reckless will go for the green in two, so effectively making it a lay-up off the tee, lay-up second shot, wedge, putt putt. Not guaranteed to stir too much excitement but perhaps the PGA can liven it up a tad?

8).I'm interested to see how the nouveau British contingent fares, Hatton and Johnston, Fitzpatrick (lousy form since Sweden) and Sullivan (has promised more than he's delivered this summer). And what about Willett (quiet summer for him) and Wood (beware the injured golfer?)?
Of the continental Europeans, my each-way choice is Molinari, quietly having a fine summer and perhaps the sort of golfer that will play within himself, fairways and greens, and suddenly find himself in contention.

9).It's been hot and muggy in the New York area but temps are forecast to moderate to the mid-80's most of the week, with thunderstorms possible especially on Friday and Sunday. Hopefully the modest rainfall recently has been enough to ensure we won't have a repeat of Glen Abbey's brown out.
Day, McIlroy and Spieth are Major-less this year; sounds like Day has had his practice restricted by family health concerns, but that change could be as good as a rest for him. Can't fancy Spieth but hopefully Rory will be somewhere close to his best.

10).Willett, Dustin Johnson, Stenson. Who's next in line as we seem to be enjoying a near epidemic of first-time Major winners? Answers please.
The PGA Championship may be the Fourth Major in almost every respect, but it's still more important in our review of a golfer's legacy than the FedEx and WGC action. Hope the golfers feel the same.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by wiretapper Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

So let's say Padraig keeps up this form, worth a wildcard?

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

Being a Paddy fan WT, even I don't think he'll get a pick but who knows if he were to win before the picks are made you never know haha!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

That was some miss from McGirt

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

Henrik needs to work out the speed of the greens

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:57 pm

Day needs to work out where the fairway is.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:00 pm

Sure hope Clarke picks Westwood!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

With the soft conditions and that the top 4 at the start of the day all being big hitters I was expecting better scoring from them.

Final day major nerves?

It's more open than I thought it would be.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:07 pm

GPB wrote:Sure hope Clarke picks Westwood!

Not exactly a top player these days but who would you pick from those just outside the Euro qualifying positions?

VDub, Soren, big shane?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:08 pm

I'd pick Lee

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:09 pm

wiretapper wrote:With the soft conditions and that the top 4 at the start of the day all being big hitters I was expecting better scoring from them.

Final day major nerves?

It's more open than I thought it would be.

Day has done a lot of his scoring on the back nine so maybe just warming up at the moment.

In general players are struggle to judge the pace of the greens, maybe more will drop towards the end of the round when they work out the pace.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:16 pm

Sky just showed a little montage of Matsuyama's putting. Is he McIlroy light? Very good long game (but not quite as good as Rory) and slightly dodgy putting (but not as dodgy as Rory)?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:23 pm

Casey & Hatton should definitely be playing the PGA at Quail Hollow next year.
But who will win this? Surely someone's got to catch fire.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:27 pm

McLaren wrote:
GPB wrote:Sure hope Clarke picks Westwood!

Not exactly a top player these days but who would you pick from those just outside the Euro qualifying positions?

VDub, Soren, big shane?

Kaymer is going to be a pick.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:28 pm

Matsuyama 134th in strokes gained putting

Rory is 61st

Not sure how that happened

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:30 pm

I'm sure it's just an optical illusion but it seems to me that quite often when they show the flight of the ball it will start out with a draw but then straighten as it passes the apex. Is that a thing?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:39 pm

Jimmy Walker catches fire Kwini

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 10:42 pm

Kwini

You said first man to -14 wins it, Walker now only one away from that. I Think you are probably right, if he gets another birdie it will be tough for the others to catch him.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:13 pm

Now that Stenson's stunk up 15, I hope Walker wins this - steadiest all day long. (Kiss of death.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:17 pm

I reckon if one of us had putted for Matsuyama we would have seen a major 59. What a joke.

kwini, now a two man race that I would like to see Walker win.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:34 pm

Day has hit so many double crosses on the back 9. Pretty disappointing with the course this easy that nobody's put any kind of a charge on.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:38 pm

monty junior wrote:Day has hit so many double crosses on the back 9. Pretty disappointing with the course this easy that nobody's put any kind of a charge on.

If the course was that easy surely it wouldn't be the case that nobody put in a really low round?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:43 pm

SmithersJones wrote:I'm sure it's just an optical illusion but it seems to me that quite often when they show the flight of the ball it will start out with a draw but then straighten as it passes the apex. Is that a thing?

Maybe the computer program accounts for the modern golf ball.

I would like to see what Bubba would do with one of the old "thin-skin" Balatas.

The ball would probably explode!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:45 pm

True but mid to high 60s everywhere, really thought someone would have gone low today!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm

Jimmy probably going to shoot at least -3, that is pretty low for being in the final group of a major. Especially if you haven't won one before.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:11 am

He's played great and deserves to win, a lot of very good breaks. He took advantage though, well played.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:17 am

Got to wonder if Day would have had a better chance if they had used proper teeing off order and he could have forced the issue in the same group as Walker. Day with a Tiger like attitude to winning.

You have to think Jimmy can flop it somewhere on the green and two putt. I don't think he hit his iron on the tee properly as he was a long way back, don't think he planned to have to hit a 3 wood in there. Lets just hope he can do better than Rory did from down there.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:22 am

Erm a little meat on the bone there.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:26 am

thumbsup

Probably pretty uncomfortable viewing for Goosen.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:35 am

Lee Westwood fifth in the list of players to play all rounds in a major this year. Jason Day blew the rest of them away despite not winning any of them.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roderick Slyme Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:46 am

Hi, Kwini, glad to see you're still producing these excellent articles. Although, your selections for this week are as fruitless as mine, I've lost money on Kaymer (one painful shot short of finishing in the money) and D Johnson (less said about him the better).

Great final day performance by Walker, no real mistakes and the odd bit of genius thrown in. Very worthy winner.

Roderick Slyme

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:52 am

DL-III is going to text Jimmy tonight

"Welcome to the 2016 RC Team"

I think it moves him up to 4th place, Koepka to 5th,

Joining DJ, Spieth, Mickelson

Zach, Holmes, Sneds, are 6th 7th and 8th.

==========

No big changes in the Euro Ryder Cup Standings.

Almost guaranteed that their team will

Rory, Willett, Stenson, Sergio, Rose, Cabrera-Bello, Fitzpatrick, Wood & Sullivan.

(That is until Clarke tries to disqualify Chris Wood)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Aug 2016, 12:57 am

Rodders,
How are you?!?!

Chris Stroud still taking it to the limit . . . . . . . . . . . Looking forward to following him this week in Hartford.

Yup,
Was very happy w/Molinari though,

You were mentioned in dispatches in the old BBC 606 gang, Worth a read!!

Hope all is good and excellent to see your sense of humour is intact!

Send us Back To Walker!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Aug 2016, 1:01 am

Of those who might not have expected to be there anyway:
Summerhays goes to The Masters.

And:
Summerhays, Streb, Hatton, Casey, McGirt and Grillo come back to the PGA, at Quail Hollow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 01 Aug 2016, 1:05 am

German Stephan Jaeger wins the Webbie event with an incredible score of 250. Minus 30.

58-65-64-63

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Aug 2016, 1:09 am

And Seamus Power goes to Rio on the back of another decent (16th) finish. Gonzo still has it all to do to make it to the web.com Finals.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roderick Slyme Mon 01 Aug 2016, 1:18 am

I'm jolly good thanks, Kwini, glad to be back on here and hope all is well with your good self.

Ah, good old Chris Stroud. He could be the Michael Allen of his generation, not necessarily a bad thing, just means he'll have to wait until he's fifty before he starts winning things!!

Yeah, Franny Molinari had a brilliant weekend. He's another one I've lost a few shillings on over the years!

I saw the thread on all the old legends of 606, and I thank you for the mention. Smile

Roderick Slyme

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Aug 2016, 2:37 am

US Ryder Cup Team automatic qualifying positions now:
DJ
Spieth
Phil
Walker
these four look dead certs. Then:
Koepka, Zach (both committed for Hartford)
Holmes
Sneds

Bubba, Reed, Kuchar (all playing Hartford)
Fowler - not playing Hartford, but playing Rio

Piercy, Haas (neither playing Hartford).

I'd bet that, if this status remains quo, those Top 12 will be the Team, regardless of Fowler's abject record of no wins in two RC's. Koepka the only "rookie".
Good set of players but only three RC Team wins between them, Phil has 2, JB has 1. The rest are something like 0 for 15 or 16.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 01 Aug 2016, 3:36 am

Just as long there is No FUR-WRECK on the team.

Good thing Westy played today or Furyk would have had the worst score today.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:31 am

GPB wrote:Just as long there is No FUR-WRECK on the team.

Good thing Westy played today or Furyk would have had the worst score today.

Sunday singles match in the Ryder Cup just for you GP

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:53 am

Davie wrote:Bet Victor still offering 14/1 on Jimmy Walker

Well that was worth taking after day 1!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:23 am

The screamers were quite a bit more prominent this week, which seemed to get under the collars of the Sky commentators. can't say I really care if people want to shout out like morons but I would obviously like to see some more witty remarks made.

Butch thought that the authorities should be kicking the screamers out of the event, is that too harsh or do you hate the sound of "mashed potato?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:28 am

It's moronic Mac rather than anything. I don't think golf needs to be quiet, but it shows a real lack of wit as you point out to constantly shout "mashed potatoes", but then again, it's only as bad as "get in the hole" and it is slightly better than the tragically unimaginative YOUESSAYY that' we'll hear next month.

Good to see Mcdool give the shouts the proper treatment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:38 am

Super

The origins of the mashed potato call; http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/unmasking-golfs-screamers-can-they-be-stopped/

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:46 am

McLaren wrote:Super

The origins of the mashed potato call; http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/unmasking-golfs-screamers-can-they-be-stopped/

the origins don't really matter, it's just plain stupid. I'm not sure why anyone wants to scream anything at a golf tournament. It isn't as if anything especially deserving of a shout ever happens. It's a bit like shouting during a game of chess.

Judging by what the "article" says most of the protagonists do so because they want their "mom" to hear them back at home. How pathetic is that. You were on tv, so bloody what.

Last edited by super_realist on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:49 am

Days approach to the 72nd and then his putt for eagle were especially deserving of a shout.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:51 am

McLaren wrote:Days approach to the 72nd and then his putt for eagle were especially deserving of a shout.

Why? Couldn't you control yourself? I thought you were an adult Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:55 am

The guys shouting nonsense like Mashed Potato are pretty stupid, but I find the commentators taking such exception to the shouting just as stupid. OK its daft and not really worth it, but what does it actually matter?? Why throw anyone off the course for shouting out something stupid. The course sells beer to people that are at a venue from 8am until 8pm, and then blame the people for being drunk!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:08 am

It would be wrong to chuck them out, but I don't think pouring a glass of beer or coke over their heads would do any harm, and would certainly get more of a cheer and laugh than their witless shouts.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Aug 2016, 1:43 pm

I bet Butch Harman was thrilled with the Walker win.

Very surprising, his first Top 12 since early March and no sign such excellent golf was in his future; can't remember as much of an out-of-the-blue shock result from a good player, at least since Harrington's Honda win.

Almost certainly a Ryder Cup Team place for Walker and doubt that DLIII saw that coming. He's going to be squeezed now for his four picks, especially as popular demand would seem to mean a spot will be reserved for an undeserving Fowler who may not be playing for the next three weeks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 01 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

Not getting picked for the RC team might be the kick in the posterior that Fowler needs

Unless he plays Wyndham (doubtful) he will probably drop a couple more spots before the Barclays. There are about 10-12 players that are within a win of passing him in the next three weeks. A few of them are playing this week like Berger, Furyk, Hoffman, McGirt, Chappell and Summerhays.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next