The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open 2011

+9
socal1976
Simple_Analyst
invisiblecoolers
Haddie-nuff
Tenez
lydian
Tom_____
wow
legendkillar
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

French Open 2011  - Page 2 Empty French Open 2011

Post by legendkillar Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Another Grand Slam over....Well there have been so many highlights. I have put what I thought have the been the moments of the tournament.

Best male player of the tournament - Roger Federer - Played the best tennis of the field of players right from round 1 up until the final. So pleased to him playing his best tennis again.

Best unseeded male player of the tournament - Michael Berrer - Ranked 95 in the world. Even though other unseeded players progressed further, I think the fact he beat Raonic and a home favourite in Clement and faced Murray in the 3rd round, I think the quality of players he came through was higher than that of Chela, Ljubicic or Falla.

Best male singles match of the tournament - Roger Federer v Novak Djokovic - Both players produced some brilliant tennis and it was of high quality for 4 sets.

Best female player of the tournament - Li Na - Made history in becoming the first chinese grand slam winner and also playing the better tennis over the tournament. Played some a great match against Sharapova and even more so against Schiavone.

Best unseeded female player of the tournament - Caroline Garcia - at 17 playing both the juniors and reaching the semi finals and the main tournament and winning her first match in a grand slam and also nearly defeating Maria Sharapova is deserved of this worthy mention.

Best female match of the tournament - Jelena Jankovic v Francesca Schiavone - This match was brilliant. Was 3 sets of high class tennis and Schiavone playing like a true champion.

Top 5 moments of the tournament

1 - Li Na winning the Womens Singles - Winning her first slam and also making history and the presentation was brilliant as you could see the emotion in Li Na, but also Schiavone was so gracious in defeat.

2 - Roger Federer defeating Novak Djokovic - Roger had come into this tournament under the radar and all talk was of Novak making tennis history. Sadly for the Serb he ran into a resurgent Federer who played brilliant all tournament.

3 - Heather Watson and Elena Baltacha - Both progressed into the second round of the womens draw for the first time since 1992. Sadly both were beaten, but an achievement none the less.

4 - Lukasz Kubot - Became the first male player from Poland to reach the 3rd round of Grand Slam event.

5 - Andy Murray re-discovers his form - By far played the best tennis on clay that he ever has. Even a minor ankle injury could not prevent him reaching the semi-finals for the first time at Roland Garros.

Worst moment of the tournament

I have selected 2

1 - Fabio Fognini pulls out of his quarter final clash with Novak Djokovic - This by far was one of the biggest crimes in tennis since Serena Williams threatened that poor line judge at the US Open in 2009. He did it with a smile that he could've only learnt from Cristiano Ronaldo and the fact he said he didn't have a chance against Novak was a insult to the players, tournament and the fans.

2 - French Open Organisers refuse people entry to Djokovic v Del Potro - Because of the crazy schedule, this match was originally due to be played on Philippe Chartier and was moved to Suzanne Lenglen and people that had tickets for Philippe Chartier were refused entry. Total madness and nearly spoiled this much look forward to encounter.

What were your favourite moments?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

French Open 2011  - Page 2 Empty Re: French Open 2011

Post by Tenez Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:33 am

When he played well he lead 5/2 today and even 61 in 2006.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:28 am

Excellent review legendkillar, i won't mention a certain italian not so fabulous personage. Roger did have a good tournament showing that he will be a big threat come wimbeldon. I actually picked Roger to win wimby this year at the start of the season. So far my preseason picks of Novak winning at AO, Rafa winning at french, have come to pass. Now if Roger wins wimby and Andy wins the USO I will certify myself a genius. (as I can't find anyone else to certify me as such). But the player of the tournament for me is still Nadal, he won it after a shakey start to tie the all time record. Roger gave him a good run but again he just doesn't have the answers for Nadal especially in a Roland Garros final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:32 am

lydian wrote:
Tenez wrote:Why would you? It woudl spoil your day...Djoko knew that his biggest rival for the title was Federer, not Nadal. He owns Nadal. Nadal played four sets against a very tired injured Djoko and he coudl not win a single set. Even one-legged Murray was close to beat him.

Even old Fed almost did beat Nada on clay!

Tenez, just what is your problem? I mean, really what is your problem? Do you think I care about these flawed and childish posts? I like to watch all these players, they are all great talented players and the close rivalries we now have are good for tennis.

By all means keep up your rabid hate of Nadal but I really couldnt care less Very Happy

Lydian we KNOW what Tenez´s problem is.. the same as it has always been he hates Nadal with intensity and even if you could prove that Rafa walked on water he would deny he had any talent.Rafa will go down in the history books as we all know. He makes him sound like a five minute wonder simply because he has made Roger his puppet. And do you know what Tenez bite the bullet gird your loins because Nadal hasn´t finished yet French Open 2011  - Page 2 3497602689 Lydian you are too intelligent to get embroiled with pointless arguments against a person who has only come to this forum for one thing to denegrate Rafa. he is not interested in your opinion only his own

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:39 am

From the horse's mouth:

"In the third I had 4-2 but I think he played very, very well from that moment to the beginning of the fourth. When Roger plays like this, the opponent cannot do anything sometimes." Nadal

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rogerfederer/8558464/French-Open-2011-Roger-Federers-aura-dimmed-by-an-indestructible-nemesis-that-is-Rafa-Nadal.html

A little humbleness would reach far and wide.

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:45 am

And to echo that

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/06/SPBP1JPDN6.DTL

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:48 am

Tenez, isn't it getting harder and harder to argue that Rafa has no talent now that he has reached double digit in slams? You do realize that the higher and higher his slam count goes the more untenable your position becomes.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:05 am

Look peeps, I know that a belligerent opinion is frustrating, but really, we all have to learn to live with them. If we really can't understand or comprehend a persons opinion, then ignore them.

If it doesn't contribute anything to an article, complain about it to me, and I'll judge whether it deserves a place on any particular article, but there has to be solid grounds for any complaint, not just differing or opposite opinion.

My advice is to ignore them and converse with posters who you think have a legitimate and worthwhile point of view and can contribute to a conversation in a healthy and constructive manner.

Just my tuppence worth. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:17 am

My favourite moment of the tournament never happened, Nole didn't play the final against Rafa and lift the trophy.

Still, a better trophy is lurking around the corner and i he lifts THAT one, I think I may go insane Yahoo

I am glad Andy is enjoying clay and rekindling his passion. I hope that ankle recovers for Wimbledon, no reason not to, I suppose.

Happy for Rafa winning, he rally laboured and fought for it this year, it's gotta be his sweetest RG.

Federer, well...ehem...

Li Na...I must say her win leaves me utterly cold. I don't like her tennis at all, a bit robotic for my taste, but am happy for her achievement, not because she's from China and there'll be zillion inspired children playing tennis now, but because having been in Wuhan where she's from, I can really appreciate her effort.

I utterly disliked French crowd. They were below low during that Nole Federer match: to give standing ovations after average points:the experience will have sadly aged and hardened Nole's young heart a little, but, we've all been trough the same, haven't we...

I was also quite impressed with Gasquet's resurgence, I'm glad he's "come back", too young not to show that bakchand off for a few more years Wink

I thoroughly enjoyed Francesca's run this year, the way she wills wins with her heart, stunning!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:21 am

I thought that the tournement was a huge success. Nadal again showing us all that he is the master on clay. Federer certainly played some great tennis and must be very happy with his form coming into Wimbledon.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:46 am

socal1976 wrote:Tenez, isn't it getting harder and harder to argue that Rafa has no talent now that he has reached double digit in slams?

That's wumming!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:53 pm

Tenez, I think you have a problem and therefore this forum does. From what I've seen you are the prime WUM on this new forum. You got banned from 606 due to anti-Nadalism so you come here to start afresh and its a shame because it taints the forum with your continued one-sided diatribe against one player.

Personally I think you're bringing this forum down, you show no balance or willingness to listen to opposing opinions and you also seek to deliberately wind others up by discussions of moonballing, etc.

If I was the moderator I'd be worried the impact you have on others and on this new forum as a whole...its hardly a great advertisement for new members to hear you slating Nadal every post. I dont like posting like this but quite frankly I think it needs saying.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

French Open 2011  - Page 2 1710857839 French Open 2011  - Page 2 1710857839 French Open 2011  - Page 2 1710857839 French Open 2011  - Page 2 1710857839 I agree with you Lydian

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon 06 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

I think Rafael and Roger both tie for the best players of the tournament. Rafa first had to comeback from a tough 5 setter and tbh even in the final didn't feel like himself but still won it- a true testament to his tennis abilities. Federer also did very good as people were doubting if he's even be able to make it past the first round lol.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

How is my comment wumming, your position is that Rafa is a limited talent, and merely pointed out that with every major trophy he lifts your position becomes ever increasingly untenable. That is wumming? In what way?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

socal1976 wrote:How is my comment wumming, your position is that Rafa is a limited talent, and merely pointed out that with every major trophy he lifts your position becomes ever increasingly untenable. That is wumming? In what way?

I didn't know Fognini had so many fans!! laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

Legendkillar, did Fabio sign up for Queens is he playing? Anyway I don't know how my comment could be called wummery from Tenez of all people but oh well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

It isn't wummery in my book socal. thumbsup

No sign of Fognini in doubles or singles at Queens.

Wimbledon will be interesting Whistle

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2