The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thick grips

+2
Roller_Coaster
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
6 posters

Go down

Thick grips Empty Thick grips

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 16 Jan 2017, 8:20 pm

Just testing out a thicker grip on my clubs, after reading an article in Golf Monthly from Simon Dyson.

I have a terrible tendency to flick at the ball with my wrists, and pull it left.

Hopefully this change will stop this ?

Has anyone else tried some drastic changes to fix out there game ??
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Thick grips Empty Re: Thick grips

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

I have 1 extra layer of tape on mine. No idea if it helps anything really! Certainly not as good as practising and hitting it properly, but does feel better than the occasional standard ones I try.

I have a bit thicker putter grip (Superstroke 2) which I like as it takes a bit of wrist out, but is still small enough for me to grip comfortably. Feels much better than the "standard" putter grips to me. Tried a couple of mates who have the really fat (5.0) ones and it's just like (I imagine how) putting with a sausage dog (feels) and is awful, but does work for them (the grips, not the sausage dogs).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:24 am

Not tried any drastic changes but I use two layers of grip tape under my standard width golf pride tour velvet grips. Used to use multi compound but they are pretty pricey now and I am not actually sure they feel all that good.

Anyway, as for grip diameter I put the extra layers of tape on for comfort as the club seems to sit in my grip better with the extra layer of tape. I once got a set of clubs of ebay that came with oversize grips, and before changing the grips I gave them a spin and pulled everything miles left. (I bought them as travel clubs so that my own irons didn't have to run the risk of getting minced by half arsed airline employees or getting sent to the wrong part of the globe. Does anyone else have a back up set for travelling?)

So maybe I played really badly that day, there was some alignment stuff to get used to on the new clubs or there is something in the idea that grip diameter can effect shot direction.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:54 am

Not tried anything really drastic - it's always me after all and I'd rather understand the swing problem than, maybe, find an equipment fix. I do use mid-size (Lamkin) grips though, although really only because they feel more comfortable in my hands - didn't see any performance difference when I switched to them 5-6 years back.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 18 Jan 2017, 6:59 am

I did toy with the idea of a thicker grip on my driver last year when I was struggling with it but never did in the end. I have the proverbial sausage dog on my putter and it works for me.

With regard to "travel clubs" Mac I got a 2nd set when I was working up in Edinburgh in '08. I'll probably get another set this year if my current contract in Sweden extends past April.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun 22 Jan 2017, 10:01 pm

Thicker grips tend to reduce your hand action. If your tendency is to hit hooks when trying to hit it hard then a thicker grip may help.

A push may be the result of too thick grips. If you think it might help I'd advise trying a different grip size on one club to start with. A 3 or 5 wood grip change might be a good indication. Don't do all of your clubs until you are sure.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:41 am

George

Do you really believe that grip thickness causes pulls or pushes? Seems like old wifes tales to me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 Jan 2017, 9:21 am

McLaren wrote:George

Do you really believe that grip thickness causes pulls or pushes?  Seems like old wifes tales to me.
Grip thickness and its effect isn't an old wives tale, but it's not going to make a huge difference towards fixing a large swing flaw. Diagnose and fix the flaw.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:01 am

McLaren wrote:George

Do you really believe that grip thickness causes pulls or pushes?  Seems like old wifes tales to me.

I'm pretty sure it is the case. In the 1990s I changed my old Ping irons for a new set because the shafts were breaking one by one. I was fitted at the Ping factory in Gainsborough and the fella suggested I should have thicker grips because my hands are a bit bigger than average, so I did. And for the first few months I was missing greens to the right, constantly chipping from the side or playing out of the right bunker. I checked my alignment, swing, even the lie of the clubs. In the end a pro suggested it might be the grips, so I had the 5 iron changed and worked fine, so I did the rest and - bingo - back on the green again.

But as stated above, grips - and indeed clubs - are not a solution to a serious swing fault.

Lessons and a good technique are fundamental, clubs and grips are only going to be marginal improvements

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down