The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead

+45
des
Anglobraveheart
nickj
demosthenes
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
Barney McGrew did it
No 7&1/2
Gooseberry
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mikey_dragon
beshocked
aucklandlaurie
Chainsaw Laney
True Raven
munkian
SecretFly
Scottrf
Mad for Chelsea
The Great Aukster
Majestic83
highland_scot
EST
George Carlin
alive555
Cyril
Gwlad
IanBru
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
GLove39
EWT Spoons
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
bsando
BigGee
Shifty
MacKnocked-on
tigertattie
TheMildlyFranticLlama
TJ
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
49 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead - Page 9 Empty Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead

Post by RDW Mon 20 Mar 2017, 10:02 am

First topic message reminder :

Results

Scotland 27 - Ireland 22 Yahoo
France 22 - Scotland 16  Crying or Very sad
Scotland 29 - Wales 13  Yahoo
England 61 - Scotland 21  Shocked
Scotland 29 - Italy 0  Yahoo

Some stats:

- First time with 3 wins since 2006
- First opening round win and win over Wales in over a decade
- 14 tries scored - our best ever
- Our highest points tally (in 2014 we scored 45 points  Shocked )
- Up to 5th in the World Rankings

Verdict

Bar Twickenham this was a fantastic 6N where we won our games playing great rugby.  It was a huge monkey off our back to beat Wales and the Ireland game was a huge result for us.  The Twickenham game was a complete embarrassment but I'd like to think that was a freak result for this team as opposed to a sign that our wins over Wales and Ireland were 'lucky'.  It should keep the players grounded going forward, which is no bad thing.

All in all I'll give our 6N a 8/10

Lions hopefuls?

Pr - can't see any travelling
H Fraser Brown stands an outside chance, and could be injury cover
L - Jonny or Richie Gray stand a chance in the most competitive position
BR - I don't see any of our backrows going
SH - Laidlaw is down the list in terms of ability at 9 but may be picked as a good tourist/leader for the squad
FH - Finn Russell certainly divides opinion but personally I don't think he will travel
C - Dunbar and Jones are outside bets in what isn't actually a great position of depth for the Lions, but again may find themselves as injury cover
FR - Hogg is a near certainty and I can see another winger getting picked, probably Seymour

My prediction:

J Gray, Hogg, Seymour in the squad, Brown, Laidlaw and Jones as first choice injury cover.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 May 2017, 4:09 pm

During my finals, spread over a couple of weeks as I was Joint Honours, I decided that it would be "a good thing" to swear off alcohol for the duration.
The night before my last paper, Early 20th Century Writers in case you were wondering, my best friend came round to see how I was faring. I decided that since all the previous papers had been "alright, y'know" and the following day was my "banker" then one, maybe two shandies, wouldn't hurt.
I may not remember too much about Wilfred Owen's use of para-rhyme and assonance but I do know that that first night after a dry spell will lead to a hangover of Rab C Nesbit proportions. vomit

Rugby; Peter Murchie wins the Al Kellock Leadership Award. Provide your own punchline. Mine is; Toonie only did it to upset the Luvvies.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland 2017 6N debrief and Lions/Summer Tour lookahead

Post by IanBru Thu 11 May 2017, 4:45 pm

jimbopip wrote:
The night before my last paper, Early 20th Century Writers in case you were wondering, my best friend came round to see how I was faring. I decided that since all the previous papers had been "alright, y'know" and the following day was my "banker" then one, maybe two shandies, wouldn't hurt.
Did you study Conrad? Heart of Darkness is a real favourite, particularly as it describes a man from a far away land going mad with the power to shape the world as he desires. Not like Gatland. In no way like Gatland. Stop thinking about Gatland.

"The horror... the horror."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 May 2017, 4:54 pm

IanBru wrote:
jimbopip wrote:
Did you study Conrad? Heart of Darkness is a real favourite, particularly as it describes a man from a far away land going mad with the power to shape the world as he desires. Not like Gatland. In no way like Gatland. Stop thinking about Gatland.

We used the phrase "going a bit Colonel Kurtz" a lot in my second law firm job to describe other lawyers, mainly partners, going slightly mad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 May 2017, 5:44 pm

IanBru wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Yes Brubro. Unfortunately MrsPip spoiled Conrad for me by pointing out his "horrible misogyny". There are very few female characters in his stories and those that play any part generally come to a very nasty end.

However it would seem that Fitzgerald was a keen observer of Toonie's playing, and team selecting, style,

An idea ran back and forward in his head like a blind man knocking over the solid furniture

Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/f/fitzgerald_f_scott_ii.html#I7YjDflJU4TRIky5.99

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 12 May 2017, 6:28 am

Having structured a years' worth of revision around only having 4 honours papers plus a dissertation in my final year of law school, we were told a week before the date that actually we needed to sit a fifth paper on corporate governance too. Our honours exams all took pace in one week, so this ruined everything and we all just sat in disbelief looking at the tutor.

We came out of the room. Time was very tight and a lot had to be done.
There was only one thing that any self respecting group of law students would do.

We all went to the union bar and got absolutely battered.

Could not spell my own face by next morning when we realised the problem would still be there.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 May 2017, 7:41 am

George Carlin wrote:Having structured a years' worth of revision around only having 4 honours papers plus a dissertation in my final year of law school, we were told a week before the date that actually we needed to sit a fifth paper on corporate governance too. Our honours exams all took pace in one week, so this ruined everything and we all just sat in disbelief looking at the tutor.

We came out of the room. Time was very tight and a lot had to be done.
There was only one thing that any self respecting group of law students would do.

We all went to the union bar and got absolutely battered. And billed the client for "additional unexpected planning conference". oh yeah

Could not spell my own face by next morning when we realised the problem would still be there.

I think you missed a bit out, but I fixed it for you. No charge. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 12 May 2017, 9:31 am

I'm not sure why... but this all reminds me of the brilliant section in the original Red Dwarf book about Rimmer's revision technique:
In fact, it was now possible for Rimmer to revise solidly for three months and not learn anything at all.

The first week of study, he would always devote to the construction of a revision timetable. Weeks of patient effort would be spent planning, designing and creating a revision schedule which, when finished, were minor works of art.

Every hour of every day was subdivided into different study periods, each labelled in his lovely, tiny copperplate hand; then painted over in watercolours, a different colour for each subject, the colours gradually becoming bolder and more urgent shades as the exam time approached. The effect was as if a myriad tiny rainbows had splintered and sprinkled across the poster-sized sheet of creamwove card.

The only problem was this: because the timetables often took seven or eight weeks, and sometimes more, to complete, by the time Rimmer had finished them the exam was almost on him. He'd then have to cram three months of astronavigation revision into a single week. Gripped by an almost deranging panic, he'd then decide to sacrifice the first two days of that final week to the making of another timetable. This time for someone who had to pack three months of revision into five days.

Because five days now had to accommodate three months' work, the first thing that had to go was sleep. To prepare for an unrelenting twenty-four hours a day sleep-free schedule, Rimmer would spend the whole of the first remaining day in bed - to be extra, ultra fresh, so he would be able to squeeze three whole months of revision into four short days.

Within an hour of getting up the next morning, he would feel inexplicably exhausted, and start early on his supply of Go-Double-Plus caffeine tablets. By lunchtime he'd overdose, and have to make the journey down to the ship's medical unit for a sedative to help him calm down. The sedative usually sent him off to sleep, and he'd wake up the following morning with only three days left, and an anxiety that was so crippling he could scarcely move. A month of revision to be crammed into each day.

At this point he would start smoking. A lifelong nonsmoker, he'd become a forty-a-day man. He'd spend the whole day pacing up and down his room, smoking three or four cigarettes at a time, stopping occasionally to stare at the titles in his bookcase, not knowing which one to read first, and popping twice the recommended dosage of dogworming tablets, which he erroneously believed to contain amphetamine.

Realising he was getting nowhere, he'd try to get rid of his soul-bending tension by treating himself to an evening in one of Red Dwarf's quieter bars. There he would sit, in the plastic oak-beamed 'Happy Astro' pub, nursing a small beer, grimly trying to be light-hearted and totally relaxed. Two small beers and three hours of stomach-knotting relaxation later, he would go back to his bunk and spend half the night awake, praying to a God he didn't believe in for a miracle that couldn't happen.

Two days to go, and ravaged by the combination of anxiety, nicotine, caffeine tablets, alcohol he wasn't used to, dog-worming pills, and overall exhaustion, he would sleep in till mid-afternoon.

After a long scream, he would rationalize that the day was a total write-off, and the rest of the afternoon would be spent shopping for the three best alarm clocks money could buy. This would often take five or six hours, and he would arrive back at his sleeping quarters exhausted, but knowing he was fully prepared for the final day's revision before his exam.

Waking at four-thirty in the morning, after exercising, showering and breakfasting, he would sit down to prepare a final, final revision timetable, which would condense three months of revision into twelve short hours. This done, he would give up and go back to bed. Maybe he didn't know a single thing about astronavigation, but at least he'd be fresh for the exam the next day.

Which is why Rimmer failed exams.

Which is why he'd received nine 'F's for fail and two 'X's for unclassified. The first 'X' he'd achieved when he'd actually managed to get hold of some real amphetamines, gone into spasm and collapsed two minutes into the exam; and the second when anxiety got so much the better of him his subconscious forced him to deny his own existence, and he had written 'I am a fish' five hundred times on every single answer sheet. He'd even gone out for extra paper. What was more shocking than anything was that he'd thought he'd done quite well.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 May 2017, 10:37 am

Ian, from the lofty heights of namechecking Heart Of Darkness and lassoing the megalomania that is Gatland's Lions you then drag us all into your own personal Big Bang Theory/Inbetweeners hybrid by quoting Red Dwarf at length.
Being inside your head must be like being on the Hollywood Hotel Tower Of Terror where you never know how far or how fast you're going to plummet. And it would be Groundhog Day, every day. And it would be Groundhog Day, every day.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by des Mon 15 May 2017, 11:35 am

jimbo, can you leave the wordsmith stuff to the lawyers?

They're much better at it.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 16 May 2017, 12:11 pm

Six Nations schedule for 2018 and 2019 just out:

2018 CHAMPIONSHIP

3/4 February
Wales v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
France v Ireland, Saturday 4.45pm
Italy v England, Sunday 3.00pm

10/11 February
Ireland v Italy, Saturday 2.15pm
England v Wales, Saturday 4.45pm
Scotland v France, Sunday 3.00pm

23/24 February
France v Italy, Friday 8.00pm
Ireland v Wales, Saturday 2.15pm
Scotland v England, Saturday 4.45pm

10/11 March
Ireland v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
France v England, Saturday 4.45pm
Wales v Italy, Sunday 3.00pm

17 March
Italy v Scotland, Saturday 12.30pm
England v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm
Wales v France, Saturday 5.00pm

2019 CHAMPIONSHIP

1/2 February
France v Wales, Friday 8.00pm
Scotland v Italy, Saturday 2.15pm
Ireland v England, Saturday 4.45pm

9/10 February
Scotland v Ireland, Saturday 2.15pm
Italy v Wales, Saturday 4.45pm
England v France, Sunday 3.00pm

23/24 February
France v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
Wales v England, Saturday 4.45pm
Italy v Ireland, Sunday 3.00pm

9/10 March
Scotland v Wales, Saturday 2.15pm
England v Italy, Saturday 4.45pm
Ireland v France, Sunday 3.00pm

16 March
Italy v France, Saturday 12.30pm
Wales v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm
England v Scotland, Saturday 5.00pm

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 16 May 2017, 12:13 pm

IanBru wrote:I'm not sure why... but this all reminds me of the brilliant section in the original Red Dwarf book about Rimmer's revision technique:
In fact, it was now possible for Rimmer to revise solidly for three months and not learn anything at all.

The first week of study, he would always devote to the construction of a revision timetable. Weeks of patient effort would be spent planning, designing and creating a revision schedule which, when finished, were minor works of art.

Every hour of every day was subdivided into different study periods, each labelled in his lovely, tiny copperplate hand; then painted over in watercolours, a different colour for each subject, the colours gradually becoming bolder and more urgent shades as the exam time approached. The effect was as if a myriad tiny rainbows had splintered and sprinkled across the poster-sized sheet of creamwove card.

The only problem was this: because the timetables often took seven or eight weeks, and sometimes more, to complete, by the time Rimmer had finished them the exam was almost on him. He'd then have to cram three months of astronavigation revision into a single week. Gripped by an almost deranging panic, he'd then decide to sacrifice the first two days of that final week to the making of another timetable. This time for someone who had to pack three months of revision into five days.

Because five days now had to accommodate three months' work, the first thing that had to go was sleep. To prepare for an unrelenting twenty-four hours a day sleep-free schedule, Rimmer would spend the whole of the first remaining day in bed - to be extra, ultra fresh, so he would be able to squeeze three whole months of revision into four short days.

Within an hour of getting up the next morning, he would feel inexplicably exhausted, and start early on his supply of Go-Double-Plus caffeine tablets. By lunchtime he'd overdose, and have to make the journey down to the ship's medical unit for a sedative to help him calm down. The sedative usually sent him off to sleep, and he'd wake up the following morning with only three days left, and an anxiety that was so crippling he could scarcely move. A month of revision to be crammed into each day.

At this point he would start smoking. A lifelong nonsmoker, he'd become a forty-a-day man. He'd spend the whole day pacing up and down his room, smoking three or four cigarettes at a time, stopping occasionally to stare at the titles in his bookcase, not knowing which one to read first, and popping twice the recommended dosage of dogworming tablets, which he erroneously believed to contain amphetamine.

Realising he was getting nowhere, he'd try to get rid of his soul-bending tension by treating himself to an evening in one of Red Dwarf's quieter bars. There he would sit, in the plastic oak-beamed 'Happy Astro' pub, nursing a small beer, grimly trying to be light-hearted and totally relaxed. Two small beers and three hours of stomach-knotting relaxation later, he would go back to his bunk and spend half the night awake, praying to a God he didn't believe in for a miracle that couldn't happen.

Two days to go, and ravaged by the combination of anxiety, nicotine, caffeine tablets, alcohol he wasn't used to, dog-worming pills, and overall exhaustion, he would sleep in till mid-afternoon.

After a long scream, he would rationalize that the day was a total write-off, and the rest of the afternoon would be spent shopping for the three best alarm clocks money could buy. This would often take five or six hours, and he would arrive back at his sleeping quarters exhausted, but knowing he was fully prepared for the final day's revision before his exam.

Waking at four-thirty in the morning, after exercising, showering and breakfasting, he would sit down to prepare a final, final revision timetable, which would condense three months of revision into twelve short hours. This done, he would give up and go back to bed. Maybe he didn't know a single thing about astronavigation, but at least he'd be fresh for the exam the next day.

Which is why Rimmer failed exams.

Which is why he'd received nine 'F's for fail and two 'X's for unclassified. The first 'X' he'd achieved when he'd actually managed to get hold of some real amphetamines, gone into spasm and collapsed two minutes into the exam; and the second when anxiety got so much the better of him his subconscious forced him to deny his own existence, and he had written 'I am a fish' five hundred times on every single answer sheet. He'd even gone out for extra paper. What was more shocking than anything was that he'd thought he'd done quite well.
I have read this about 5 times and laughed every time. I love Grant Naylor.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 16 May 2017, 12:35 pm

and the second when anxiety got so much the better of him his subconscious forced him to deny his own existence, and he had written 'I am a fish' five hundred times on every single answer sheet. He'd even gone out for extra paper. What was more shocking than anything was that he'd thought he'd done quite well.

laughing

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 16 May 2017, 12:37 pm

nickj wrote:Six Nations schedule for 2018 and 2019 just out:

2018 CHAMPIONSHIP

3/4 February
Wales v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
France v Ireland, Saturday 4.45pm
Italy v England, Sunday 3.00pm

10/11 February
Ireland v Italy, Saturday 2.15pm
England v Wales, Saturday 4.45pm
Scotland v France, Sunday 3.00pm

23/24 February
France v Italy, Friday 8.00pm
Ireland v Wales, Saturday 2.15pm
Scotland v England, Saturday 4.45pm

10/11 March
Ireland v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
France v England, Saturday 4.45pm
Wales v Italy, Sunday 3.00pm

17 March
Italy v Scotland, Saturday 12.30pm
England v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm
Wales v France, Saturday 5.00pm

2019 CHAMPIONSHIP

1/2 February
France v Wales, Friday 8.00pm
Scotland v Italy, Saturday 2.15pm
Ireland v England, Saturday 4.45pm

9/10 February
Scotland v Ireland, Saturday 2.15pm
Italy v Wales, Saturday 4.45pm
England v France, Sunday 3.00pm

23/24 February
France v Scotland, Saturday 2.15pm
Wales v England, Saturday 4.45pm
Italy v Ireland, Sunday 3.00pm

9/10 March
Scotland v Wales, Saturday 2.15pm
England v Italy, Saturday 4.45pm
Ireland v France, Sunday 3.00pm

16 March
Italy v France, Saturday 12.30pm
Wales v Ireland, Saturday 2.45pm
England v Scotland, Saturday 5.00pm

Good work. Nice that we start with easy games in both 2018 and 2019.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 12:40 pm

The 2019 schedule is really good - 2 winnable games to start with and a week off after the France game where we will no doubt get beaten up as usual!

The inevitable pumping at Twickenham will at least be at the end this time when it doesn't matter so much.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 16 May 2017, 5:30 pm

Flights & accommodation booked for Rome next year. Delighted we've got the last game, should see some sun.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 18 May 2017, 3:26 pm

Sean Maitland out of the summer tour through injury - no possible lions cover call up for him then!

Hughes and Tonks called up to the touring squad.

Meatball at 10, tonks at 15. Thats a bit of a regression to yesteryear!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 18 May 2017, 3:39 pm

I'm pleased that Hughes has been called-up. I suspect Tonks will mainly be cover, given that he hasn't really nailed down a spot at LI.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 18 May 2017, 3:45 pm

Maitland would have been an unlikely call up.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 18 May 2017, 3:52 pm

tigertattie wrote:Sean Maitland out of the summer tour through injury - no possible lions cover call up for him then!

Hughes and Tonks called up to the touring squad.

Meatball at 10, tonks at 15. Thats a bit of a regression to yesteryear!  

You should see it as a blessing in disguise. Means Maitland should be fresh for the 6 nations.

Scotland have an opportunity to catch sides battered by the Lions tour off guard. France have done it regularly.

Generally is a Lions tour hangover.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 18 May 2017, 4:39 pm

Gwlad wrote:Maitland would have been an unlikely call up.

based on???

He's a previous tourist, he was fit and on form and playing for the most dominant club team in NH rugby at the moment
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Thu 18 May 2017, 5:02 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Maitland would have been an unlikely call up.

based on???
Not being Welsh?

He's a previous tourist, he was fit and on form and playing for the most dominant club team in NH rugby at the moment
But not Welsh, so being fit and on form, and playing for a good team don't matter

The fact he has a slightly inferior try scoring record to WP Nel, a tighthead prop who has been injured for 10 of the last 18 months Wink

Presumably

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 18 May 2017, 5:07 pm

Tattie you dont need me to answer as you already have the answer anyway right.Rolling Eyes
Scots never have understood the Lions. Perhaps its the performance of the midweekers in 1993 that has left a disturbing legacy of embittered entitlement I don't know, but this massive chip and inferiority complex does them no good.

Maitland is a solid player who hasn't performed particularly well (see above) and is not IMO an excellent choice for a replacement, his being Scottish is irrelevant, as is his not being Welsh.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunderthighs Thu 18 May 2017, 10:11 pm

Gwlad wrote:Tattie you dont need me to answer as you already have the answer anyway right.Rolling Eyes
Scots never have understood the Lions. Perhaps its the performance of the midweekers in 1993 that has left a disturbing legacy of embittered entitlement I don't know, but this massive chip and inferiority complex does them no good.

Maitland is a solid player who hasn't performed particularly well (see above) and is not IMO an excellent choice for a replacement, his being Scottish is irrelevant, as is his not being Welsh.

I know I shouldn't rise to a WUM, but I'm going to.  Gwlad, I don't know what's wrong with you, but I bet it's really difficult to spell.  You seem to feel the need to pour vitriol and bile over anyone's opinion if it's not exactly aligned with yours.  Disagreeing is fine, but being unpleasant about it is not.  Scots never understood the Lions?  McGeechan and Telfer prove you wrong.  The midweekers in 1993?  Congratulations, you've read the Hastings interview on the BBC website today, and extracted the one line you could use to bash the Scots with.  A massive chip and inferiority complex does nobody any good, so take your own advice and deal with it.  I'm sure you're not inferior, you just have to believe it yourself.

We understand that you're Welsh, you think Gatland is a good coach, and you've taken it upon yourself to defend both against perceived slights.  That's really sweet, but don't get so het up.  This is a democracy, and we're allowed to hold different views.  Presumably you watch a lot of Welsh rugby, so you know the players very well.  Likewise the Scots, Irish and English posters, who probably know more about their players than you.   A Scottish poster who thinks that Maitland would be an excellent choice is basing that opinion on a bit more than watching the Scotland-Wales game in the 6N, so their assessment, even allowing for a touch of bias, is probably sound.  Maitland didn't even play against Wales, so how often have you seen him play this season?  Like I said, it's fine to disagree, but try to back your position up with some evidence.

Since this post is now approaching Miaow-esque proportions, I'm going to shut up.  First and potentially last post, wonder if the mods will leave it in?

Thunderthighs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 18 May 2017, 10:16 pm

An eloquent, reasoned post that hasn't resorted to name calling or petty bickering - no reason to remove the post and you really should stick around!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunderthighs Thu 18 May 2017, 10:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:An eloquent, reasoned post that hasn't resorted to name calling or petty bickering - no reason to remove the post and you really should stick around!

Thank you, I might just do that.  I've been stalking this site for years, but been put off posting by people like Greyghost and Gwlad.  However, it's got to the point where practically every thread is infested by Gwlad's paranoia, and I want to join in the fun  steam

Brief biog - I was born in England to a Scottish army family, was brought up Scottish, and never felt anything else (my folks came from Dollar and Cowdenbeath).  I've lived in England most of my life (apart from the usual forces' globe-trotting as a child), and only get up North a couple of times a year to visit friends and family, and watch the autumn internationals and 6N games.  So I have no horse in the East-West race, although I may have inherited my parents' mistrust of anything west of Stirling.

If I'm going to stay, may I ask a question?  I get the impression that Jimbopip is a Weege - so why does does he refer to Edinburgh beating Glasgow every year as the Annual Slaughter of the Effeminates?  Does he not like his team?

PS I'm not a lawyer - am I still allowed in?

Thunderthighs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 18 May 2017, 11:40 pm

Thunderthighs wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:An eloquent, reasoned post that hasn't resorted to name calling or petty bickering - no reason to remove the post and you really should stick around!

Thank you, I might just do that.  I've been stalking this site for years, but been put off posting by people like Greyghost and Gwlad.  However, it's got to the point where practically every thread is infested by Gwlad's paranoia, and I want to join in the fun  steam

Brief biog - I was born in England to a Scottish army family, was brought up Scottish, and never felt anything else (my folks came from Dollar and Cowdenbeath).  I've lived in England most of my life (apart from the usual forces' globe-trotting as a child), and only get up North a couple of times a year to visit friends and family, and watch the autumn internationals and 6N games.  So I have no horse in the East-West race, although I may have inherited my parents' mistrust of anything west of Stirling.

If I'm going to stay, may I ask a question?  I get the impression that Jimbopip is a Weege - so why does does he refer to Edinburgh beating Glasgow every year as the Annual Slaughter of the Effeminates?  Does he not like his team?

Neither am I, and despite being a fifer my interaction with lawyers is surprisingly limited to this forum.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 19 May 2017, 12:15 am

Thunderthighs wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Tattie you dont need me to answer as you already have the answer anyway right.Rolling Eyes

I know I shouldn't rise to a WUM, but I'm going to.  Gwlad, I don't know what's wrong with you, but I bet it's really difficult to spell.  You seem to feel the need to pour vitriol and bile over anyone's opinion if it's not exactly aligned with yours.  Disagreeing is fine, but being unpleasant about it is not.  Scots never understood the Lions?  McGeechan and Telfer prove you wrong.  The midweekers in 1993?  Congratulations, you've read the Hastings interview on the BBC website today, and extracted the one line you could use to bash the Scots with.  A massive chip and inferiority complex does nobody any good, so take your own advice and deal with it.  I'm sure you're not inferior, you just have to believe it yourself.

We understand that you're Welsh, you think Gatland is a good coach, and you've taken it upon yourself to defend both against perceived slights.  That's really sweet, but don't get so het up.  This is a democracy, and we're allowed to hold different views.  Presumably you watch a lot of Welsh rugby, so you know the players very well.  Likewise the Scots, Irish and English posters, who probably know more about their players than you.   A Scottish poster who thinks that Maitland would be an excellent choice is basing that opinion on a bit more than watching the Scotland-Wales game in the 6N, so their assessment, even allowing for a touch of bias, is probably sound.  Maitland didn't even play against Wales, so how often have you seen him play this season?  Like I said, it's fine to disagree, but try to back your position up with some evidence.

Since this post is now approaching Miaow-esque proportions, I'm going to shut up.  First and potentially last post, wonder if the mods will leave it in?

As usual when some posters read things they just dont like they call it a WUM. And who, by his own admission, is doing the biting?

Ok,lets get this clear you can pour vitriol and bile and I mustn't, roger wilco.  laughing....your remark about me having a something wrong that you can't spell is obviously a personal attack but you'll get used to those that are allowed to do that on here - yourself apparently, and those that aren't. And I advise you to use the half-baked pop psychology skills on yourself thanks, I'm only inferior to the wife.

I always find these people that suggest they've been reading the site for a while - long enough to know about Greyghost and that miaow writes an essay every post - but only now seem compelled to post very very odd, just wonder which iteration of which character they are? Anyway Gwlad is glad you finally found the courage to be the man in the arena and not just a bored spectator with too much time on his hands, bravo!  thumbsup

The behavior of the 1993 Scottish Lions is well documented, clearly it is you spotted it this morning, I've known about it for years as has anyone who knows anything about the 1993 tour. Geech and Telfer are Lions legends as coaches but the Scottish entitlement being displayed at the moment does them no credit, I just hope the selection of Laidlaw calms everyone down a bit.

My remark about Maitland stands, and as someone else posted, as a winger and therefore supposed to be a finisher, he's scored less than Nel. There are better options. Nel for one!

Last edited by Gwlad on Fri 19 May 2017, 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 19 May 2017, 12:16 am

no petty bickering? picard

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 19 May 2017, 12:22 am

Thunderthighs wrote:

not bile or vitriol or in anyway personal right? Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 6:51 am

Thunderthighs wrote:

In Jimbo's world Edinburgh are the effeminate's - coined in the Dave Denton, early Hidalgo-Clyne era when we would regularly lose the 1872 (6 years in a row?). Doesn't work so well now we've recently won 2 in a row and spoiled their Townsend farewell party by giving them a pumping!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 6:59 am

Gwlad wrote:
Thunderthighs wrote:

My remark about Maitland stands, and as someone else posted, as a winger and therefore supposed to be a finisher, he's scored less than Nel. There are better options. Nel for one!

Give that we live in s world with Donald Trump in power it is worth clearing up some facts - Nel hasn't scored more tries for Scotland.

While we're at it it's worth pointing out that Maitland has a very similar strike rate at international level to Liam Williams (18%)!

And before all the arguments start up again Williams has started all but 5 of his tests (some people use him coming off the bench a lot as a reason for his terrible strike rate).

This isn't a 'Maitland is better than Williams' post - they are very different types of wingers - it is just clearing up a few facts Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 19 May 2017, 9:27 am

I actually think Maitland being injured is a bit of a blessing in disguise, we despertely need to create some depth out wide, and this will let us see how Hoyland/Hughes fair at this level - what do we think about something like this?

Price
Russell
Hoyland
Dunbar
Scott
Visser
Taylor

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 19 May 2017, 9:46 am

Thunderthighs, welcome to the house of fun (except when Gwlad is pissing on the sandwiches).
Yes I am a proud product of Cowcaddens and yes Glasgow Warriors are the 1872 Cup holders.
Apart from a recent blip, mainly due to over confidence/contempt, it has been an annual slaughter. I love the way AdminBoy didn't even try to deny that The MFL are over so slightly effeminate but rather attempted an Orwellian "Denton, early SHC era" whitewash. warning He's fooling no-one. Least of all big Agnes on the Men's Grooming counter at Jenners who's on first name terms with most of the first team squad.
Not that it counts for anything, but I like the way you express yourself and it would be a shame if you don't become a regular here. I'm sure Bru would love to hear your opinion on Moneyball versus Last Of The Mohicans as the best film of all time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 May 2017, 9:46 am

EST wrote:I actually think Maitland being injured is a bit of a blessing in disguise, we despertely need to create some  depth out wide, and this will let us see how Hoyland/Hughes fair at this level - what do we think about something like this?

Price
Russell
Hoyland
Dunbar
Scott
Visser
Taylor

I would have been perfectly happy for Taylor to play at FB, but the fact that he has brought two more players into the squad to replace Maitland, one of whom is a FB, suggests that is not where Toonie sees him playing.

It looks as if we will see Jacko starting at FB with Taylor probably providing cover either as a starter or from the bench. Tonks will be the next cab off the rank to cover injuries.

Backline probably along the lines of:

Price
Russell
Hoyland
Dunbar/Horne
Scott/Taylor
Visser
Jackson

I would be surprised if Grigg does not get a bench run at some stage and in fact I can see a bit of mix and matching as is Toonie's want. This is a bit od a chance to try out a few combos with different games in different places.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 9:49 am

Without being too pedantic Tim Visser is very much a left winger and you'd both put him on the right...(yes there is a difference!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 May 2017, 9:51 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Without being too pedantic Tim Visser is very much a left winger and you'd both put him on the right...(yes there is a difference!)

When you play in the forwards as long as I did, a winger is a winger, they all drop it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 19 May 2017, 10:04 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Thunderthighs wrote:

Give that we live in s world with Donald Trump in power it is worth clearing up some facts - Nel hasn't scored more tries for Scotland.

While we're at it it's worth pointing out that Maitland has a very similar strike rate at international level to Liam Williams (18%)!

And before all the arguments start up again Williams has started all but 5 of his tests (some people use him coming off the bench a lot as a reason for his terrible strike rate).

This isn't a 'Maitland is better than Williams' post - they are very different types of wingers - it is just clearing up a few facts Hug

RDW Scotland the funny thing is L.Williams and Maitland will basically go H2H when it comes to trying to score tries next season as both will be club mates.

Both will need to step up that area.

Are Maitland/ Williams really that different players? Both have pretty poor try scoring records as you say. Both like to act as wing/full backs.

I think Maitland will need to find a way to increase his try count if he's going to challenge for Scotland honours again. Visser who is a more potent finisher, is more favoured.

It's not just about finishing it's about creating opportunities - being in the right place at the right time.

I'd like to see Maitland working on that side of his game, same with L.Williams to be honest.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 19 May 2017, 10:05 am

jimbopip wrote:Thunderthighs, welcome to the house of fun (except when Gwlad is pissing on the sandwiches).
Yes I am a proud product of Cowcaddens and yes Glasgow Warriors are the 1872 Cup holders.
Apart from a recent blip, mainly due to over confidence/contempt, it has been an annual slaughter. I love the way AdminBoy didn't even try to deny that The MFL are over so slightly effeminate but rather  attempted an Orwellian "Denton, early SHC era" whitewash. warning He's fooling no-one. Least of all big Agnes on the Men's Grooming counter at Jenners who's on first name terms with most of the first team squad.
Not that it counts for anything, but I like the way you express yourself and it would be a shame if you don't become a regular here. I'm sure Bru would love to hear your opinion on Moneyball versus Last Of The Mohicans as the best film of all time.

Is there not a certain amount of irony here, you're calling out the Edinburgh players for being on first name terms with a lady who you know the first name of..... Very Happy

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 19 May 2017, 10:06 am

I actually did think I might have got them the wrong way round, and then couldn't be bothered to check.

I think you are probably right BigGee, but the fact that we are relying on Tonks and Rhubarb to cover 15 shows just how paper thin our cover is in some positions.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing a midfield including Russell and two from Dunbar, Taylor and Scott - all good strike runners who have a bit of size and pace.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 10:12 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Thunderthighs, welcome to the house of fun (except when Gwlad is pissing on the sandwiches).
Apart from a recent blip, mainly due to over confidence/contempt, it has been an annual slaughter. I love the way AdminBoy didn't even try to deny that The MFL are over so slightly effeminate but rather  attempted an Orwellian "Denton, early SHC era" whitewash. warning He's fooling no-one. Least of all big Agnes on the Men's Grooming counter at Jenners who's on first name terms with most of the first team squad.

Is there not a certain amount of irony here, you're calling out the Edinburgh players for being on first name terms with a lady who you know the first name of..... Very Happy

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:19 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Without being too pedantic Tim Visser is very much a left winger and you'd both put him on the right...(yes there is a difference!)

I'm waiting for the laymans terms explaination.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 10:21 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I'm waiting for the laymans terms explaination.

I'll keep it simple for your props - hold up your hands in front of you with palms facing away and look at the shape formed by your thumb and the finger next to it.  If it looks like an L then that is your left, if it looks like a back to front L then that is your right! OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 19 May 2017, 10:30 am

EWT Spoons wrote:

EWT, Laugh Laugh

Actually I was at a "meeting" the other day and Big Agnes stood up and said,
"My name is Agnes and I am an alcoholic. As some of you know I used to be called Roger, back when I was in the Scots Guards. Back then I drank because I couldn't face the fact that I was Agnes trapped in a Regimental Sergeant Major's body. Since the surgery I have been sober for seven years and have even formed a long distance relationship with a Welsh pen-pal. He says when I go down in the valleys I'll be "feeling Gwlad all over" as the old song has it. But I digress. I have found that my job advising scruffy straight men with their grooming problems has helped keep me off the sauce,my sense of self-worth rockets every time I see my blonde locks and perma- tanned complexion beside their peely-wally pusses. However, recently a group of Chippendale, gym bunny types have started frequenting my counter. I feel like Nicola Sturgeon's body double stood beside them. In no time at all my sense of my own femininity was destroyed and I was back pouring Kahlua on my Cornflakes (thanks Schiz). "

There was more, but that's how come I'm on first name terms with the woman who's on first name terms with...You get it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 19 May 2017, 12:01 pm

Round of applause Jimbo
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 12:02 pm

Sorry tattie I couldn't leave that on here!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 19 May 2017, 12:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Sorry tattie I couldn't leave that on here!

I reduce myself to his level and I'm modded! warning

hangs head in shame
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2017, 12:13 pm

It's all about preventing arguments before they happen OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 19 May 2017, 12:19 pm

Tattie, why were you modded by Admin Boy?
Can you enlighten us by using anatomically correct dolls?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 19 May 2017, 12:44 pm

jimbopip wrote:Tattie, why were you modded by Admin Boy?

Dolls? I'm not a contracted player to Edinburgh Rugby ya know!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 19 May 2017, 1:18 pm

jimbopip wrote:Tattie, why were you modded by Admin Boy?

or sock puppets
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next