The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In

+24
king_carlos
Rugby Fan
marty2086
TheMildlyFranticLlama
No 7&1/2
robbo277
TJ
carpet baboon
kingelderfield
WELL-PAST-IT
B91212
Welly
propdavid_london
TightHEAD
Scottrf
formerly known as Sam
yappysnap
LondonTiger
beshocked
mid_gen
Geordie
HongKongCherry
Gooseberry
ChequeredJersey
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In - Page 3 Empty Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

League Positions

1) Wasps (74pts)
2) Exeter (69)
3) Saracens (68)
4) Leicester (52)
5) Bath (52)
6) Harlequins (47)
7) Northampton (47)
8) Gloucester (41)
9) Newcastle (40)
10) Sale (35)
11) Worcester (27)
12 Bristol (19)

Fixtures

Wasps - Bristol (a), Quins (a), Sarries (h)
Exeter - Quins (a), Saints (h), Glaws (a)
Saracens - Saints (a**), Bristol (h), Wasps (a)
Leicester - Falcons (h), Sale (h), Worcester (a)
Bath - Worcester (a), Gloucester (h), Sale (a)
Harlequins - Exeter (h), Wasps (h), Saints (a)
Northampton - Sarries (h**), Exeter (a), Quins (h)
Gloucester - Sale (h), Bath (a), Exeter (h)
Newcastle - Tigers (a), Worcester (h), Bristol (a)
Sale - Glaws (a), Tigers (a), Bath (h)
Worcester - Bath (h), Falcons (a), Tigers (h)
Bristol - Wasps (h), Sarries (a), Falcons (h)

** MK Bowl

Preview

With Bristol all but relegated, realistically we have three main areas of interest as the end of the season rapidly approaches:

The battle for a home semi.
All three sides at the top of the table will believe they can secure a home semi, but also fear they are the side who will miss out. Interestingly the first three rounds see them play the same three opponents (Bristol, Saints and Quin). While all of the pace setters will expect to win those games, Saints and Quins have their own fight for points and will not make things easy. That Wasps and Sarries have to meet in round 22 should favour Chiefs.

The battle for 4th
With the way that the fixtures end, the chances of anyone other than Leicester or Bath securing the final semi final spot are remote. Leicester currently sit in 4th, and a win at Twickenham against Bath in round 19 would see them planting one foot firmly into that semi-final. A Bath win opens things up and means that Leicester would require their rivals to drop points in the last 3 rounds.

Battle for 6th
The fight for the last automatic qualifying spot (7th will enter playoffs I think) in the main Euro competition sees Quins and Saints start with a head-start over 8th placed Gloucester, but with a much harder run in. Falcons would need to win all 4 remaining matches to have any chance of sneaking in.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 May 2017, 4:50 pm

It wasn't dangerous either way so no pen.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - End of Season Run-In

Post by TightHEAD Sat 20 May 2017, 5:03 pm

It was if he landed on his head, shouldn't have been a try.

I've played in games when things like that have been pinged by the Ref
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 20 May 2017, 5:26 pm

If anything it was a dangerous tackle, it was just one of those things that happen though. Ellery was tackled low and tried to make the line still as the tackler came up so bodyweight sent him over the back of the tackler

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 20 May 2017, 5:28 pm

Very good start by Wasps and a very nice team try, finished by Beale.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 20 May 2017, 5:29 pm

Fitzgerald gives away the penalty at the maul so Wasps have advantage and then Tait flies out the line and gets nowhere near the ball. Great controversial selections there Matt. Fecking stupid.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 20 May 2017, 6:10 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Fitzgerald gives away the penalty at the maul so Wasps have advantage and then Tait flies out the line and gets nowhere near the ball. Great controversial selections there Matt. Fecking stupid.

Give a rest.

Roberts got destroyed against Wuss the other week.
Fitzgerald does give away stupid penalties but he has handled a very dangerous back row so far.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 20 May 2017, 7:10 pm

Welly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Fitzgerald gives away the penalty at the maul so Wasps have advantage and then Tait flies out the line and gets nowhere near the ball. Great controversial selections there Matt. Fecking stupid.

Give a rest.

Roberts got destroyed against Wuss the other week.
Fitzgerald does give away stupid penalties but he has handled a very dangerous back row so far.

We've done brilliantly to come back into it. I feared that try would have opened the floodgates. Still think that Fitz and Tait were the wrong decisions. Nobody turned up at Wuss including Tait who gifted Wus a try.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 20 May 2017, 7:13 pm

What a day of rugby! Congratulations to all 4 sides, 2 cracking games and commiserations to Saracens and Tigers who were both within minutes of reaching the final

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 20 May 2017, 7:15 pm

Two great games.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 20 May 2017, 7:16 pm

Echo the sentiments, two very good games of rugby.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 20 May 2017, 7:23 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:What a day of rugby! Congratulations to all 4 sides, 2 cracking games and commiserations to Saracens and Tigers who were both within minutes of reaching the final

Very happy with that performance from Tigers. Hopefully use that as a springboard for next season. Much improved defence and our set piece was still good.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 May 2017, 7:38 pm

Gutted for the forwards, a monumental effort that provided a good platform for the backs but they just couldn't make it count.

Ahh well, never mind. Another semi final loss but nothing like the last 3. That forward performance with Youngs, Ford, JPP, Toomua, Manu, Thompstone, Veainu could be incredible. The amount of phases in the 22 was really reassuring, Manu alone could've made a massive difference to the scoreline.

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 20 May 2017, 8:09 pm

Needed Mulipola over Balmain really aswell.

That scrum penalty late in the second half really hurt us.

TBH Tigers need to make space to sign 2 top players to help the bench impact.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 20 May 2017, 8:41 pm

Welly wrote: Needed Mulipola over Balmain really aswell.

Rumour coming from various people is that 4 players, a couple very unexpected apparently, will be making way to make room for a big signing. Apparently one of those released has recently signed an extension as well.

It might be codswallop but it's been a very similar story coming from various directions so I reckon there might be a big announcement coming fairly soon.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 20 May 2017, 8:46 pm

I had to listen to the games on the radio for the first time in years as I've been at work. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and the far better standard of commentary!

I think seeing the number 1 and 2 in the table make the final is a fair reflection of what's been an odd premiership season in several ways.

Obviously gut wrenching to see/hear Tigers lose at the death. It was closer than I thought we would come with JPP and Mermoz unavailable - not to mention the other big players who have been out long term.

Our pack has been on a steady upward curve since midway through the season and it's very promising to see.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 21 May 2017, 7:16 am

king_carlos wrote:

Rumour coming from various people is that 4 players, a couple very unexpected apparently, will be making way to make room for a big signing. Apparently one of those released has recently signed an extension as well.

It might be codswallop but it's been a very similar story coming from various directions so I reckon there might be a big announcement coming fairly soon.

It's not codswallop.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 21 May 2017, 8:26 am

Classy comments from McCall post match saying that Slades kick was 'one of the best of all time'.

2 superb games of rugby & the both winners just about deserved to go through. Should be a great day next weekend.
COYW.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 21 May 2017, 8:46 am

For the first time ever, I felt pleased for both winners yesterday, and genuinely sad for both losers. Not sure who I want to win the title. I would have said Exeter before but Wasps have played good rugby, and I wouldn't mind seeing Wade, Cipriani and Launchbury etc get reward for their season.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 21 May 2017, 8:55 am

Didn't see either game yesterday but can someone tell me how Farrell played? After the Pro-12 semi finals, neither Biggar or Sexton covered themselves in glory.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 21 May 2017, 9:04 am

Sexton was injured for most of the game so not surprising he struggled

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 21 May 2017, 9:07 am

Why was he not replaced then Geoff? Don't get me wrong, I think Sexton is a great player but I feel is not as good as he once was. That may be down to injuries or age but he is no longer the best 10 in the NH in my opinion.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 May 2017, 9:11 am

eirebilly wrote:Didn't see either game yesterday but can someone tell me how Farrell played? After the Pro-12 semi finals, neither Biggar or Sexton covered themselves in glory.

The opposite to how he looked in the European final. He looked rattled, threw a couple of interceptions, twice took treatment to his face/head because of poor tackle technique and failed to make the most of the massive wind advantage in the frat half. He did come back well in the second as Sarries came back to take the lead but it was an uncharacteristic display from the normally reliable Farrell. Not what Gats would want to see.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 21 May 2017, 9:14 am

Cheers Sam. So that means neither of the Lions 10's had good games this weekend. I would still have Farrell starting at 10 ahead of Sexton and Biggar myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 21 May 2017, 9:25 am

eirebilly wrote:Why was he not replaced then Geoff? Don't get me wrong, I think Sexton is a great player but I feel is not as good as he once was. That may be down to injuries or age but he is no longer the best 10 in the NH in my opinion.

Obviously don't trust Bryne.
Sextons injury was the reason Nacewa took the place kicks
Why Carbery didn't move to 10 and Nacewa to 15 I have no idea - Cullen dropped the ball there

I also agree with Sam - Farrell was not at his best either

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 21 May 2017, 11:06 pm

Welly wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

It's not codswallop.

Welly - From what you've heard is it just one player being released having signed an extension this season? That's where the various talk that I've heard has varied slightly. Some are saying it's one player being released who has a signed and announced contract, others say it's more than one.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 May 2017, 9:00 am

Firstly congratulations on Exeter, well deserved win for that going for broke at the end.

Impressive stuff from Slade. clap From a poor performance in the final last year to a match winning intervention - quite a turn around.

Is it just me who thinks that Wigglesworth looked ponderous? The speed of service in the last 2 games hasn't been good enough IMO. The young Exeter 9 outplayed him.

When comparing the ball, Exeter, Wasps and Leicester got on the weekend seemed to be a big difference.

Much harder to break down the opposition with slow ball. Even against Clermont this was a problem.

Don't know why Saracens didn't use the bench more, Spencer and Lozowski I think in particular could have added much more needed tempo.

Also I don't know why Saracens constantly keep the ball in the forwards off the lineout, I like the ball to be spread quickly off the top of the lineout - Saracens have been effective when doing it so don't know why they did it very sparingly.

Two exciting games, good advertisement for the AP.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 22 May 2017, 9:06 am

That kick by Slade was something else.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 May 2017, 9:52 am

eirebilly wrote:Cheers Sam. So that means neither of the Lions 10's had good games this weekend. I would still have Farrell starting at 10 ahead of Sexton and Biggar myself.

Farrell at 12 for me. His passing is limited, both interceptions at weekend came from poor attempts at spreading the ball wide and he threw some other poor long passes. His passing close to the line and short range has come on very well and was a threat. Because Farrell has a limited assign range you need some serious power in the midfield to work his game and the Lions don't have that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3