The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa - test series thread

+33
Hibbz
Jetty
LionsV2
NickisBHAFC
GSC
eirebilly
compelling and rich
VTR
LondonTiger
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
Galted
Mad for Chelsea
LivinginItaly
Dolphin Ziggler
sirfredperry
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
dummy_half
wisden
Mat
KP_fan
JDizzle
Nathaniel Jacobs
msp83
king_carlos
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
James100
alfie
Hammersmith harrier
Gooseberry
Good Golly I'm Olly
37 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 15 Empty England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

First topic message reminder :

In the fast paced nature of international cricket, we are just over a week away from the first of four test matches between SA and England - should be a good one.

South Africa have named their squad...missing some big names in Steyn, ABDV - also no Dane Piedt, Stephen Cook either.

South Africa squad: Faf du Plessis (captain), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Dean Elgar, Heino Kuhn, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Duanne Olivier, Andile Phehlukwayo, Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada.

Still a very strong team - especially in the seam bowling ranks. Although with Faf missing the first test, the batting is reliant on Amla and De Kock I feel

England have a few injury concerns - particularly Stuart Broad - any thoughts on the SA squad, and potential England one?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 15 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 9:47 am

LionsV2 wrote:Probably because he knew it hadn't carried, from playing the game you know when the ball bounces into your hands.

Sorry but in that case why did he waste a review for his team if he did not genuinely believe he had caught it? The replays will always show what happened and the fielder in question would have known this and told his captain to not bother if he truly knew it never carried.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 15 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 9:50 am

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 10:45 am

I didn't see it (sleep break !) but from reports I am given to understand it was initially given not out for lbw...but then reviewed and , because of the edge , then checked "upstairs" for the catch...
Umpire said he thought it carried : TV said no.

I always think I know when I've taken a catch...except once : when I took the gloves (just for fun ) in a practice match and scooped one up off the turf and just wasn't quite certain if it had kissed the grass first. Think it is possible for a fielder to be uncertain for a very low one , especially if gathering it diving forward ...but I suspect a lot of claimed catches in the international game stem from a liberal helping of wishful thinking...and the moral safety net of the all seeing TV eye...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 10:48 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:For me Day One was shared. Another innings from Jennings where he just never looked settled or comfortable but I feel it may be too late to look elsewhere for an opener prior to the Ashes tour. Malan looks an attacking sort which is good but still gave his wicket away too easily - perhaps his last chance in the second innings? Westley again looked the best of the newcomers to the side mentally but do wish he'd learn to play more three dimensional shots.

For today England will look to bat well into the day. They'd want to reach lunch no worse than 330 for 7 and perhaps reach 400 before being bowled out at tea. In the final session of the day they'd feel on top if they could reduce South Africa to around 60 for 2. South Africa will have other ideas. They will look to have polished the tail off by lunch with England scoring around 300 or less. They'd want to reach tea no worse than 75 for 1 and end the day around 160 for 3.

So you're saying both teams would like to do well? Big, if true
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 10:54 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:For me Day One was shared. Another innings from Jennings where he just never looked settled or comfortable but I feel it may be too late to look elsewhere for an opener prior to the Ashes tour. Malan looks an attacking sort which is good but still gave his wicket away too easily - perhaps his last chance in the second innings? Westley again looked the best of the newcomers to the side mentally but do wish he'd learn to play more three dimensional shots.

For today England will look to bat well into the day. They'd want to reach lunch no worse than 330 for 7 and perhaps reach 400 before being bowled out at tea. In the final session of the day they'd feel on top if they could reduce South Africa to around 60 for 2. South Africa will have other ideas. They will look to have polished the tail off by lunch with England scoring around 300 or less. They'd want to reach tea no worse than 75 for 1 and end the day around 160 for 3.

So you're saying both teams would like to do well? Big, if true

No that is a roadmap if you will of what I think both teams would strive for as a minimum.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:05 am

Looks a good morning for the bowlers. SA could wrap up the England innings very quickly in these conditions.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

There is the first wicket for Rabada, TRJ for 4.

Morkel must wonder what it must take to get a wicket here, he has been excellent this morning for very little luck.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If someone can explain why the heck they've sent Roland Jones out ahead of Moeen here I'd love to hear it

This was one of the stupidest things England have done in a long time - forgetting that the idea of a nightwatchman is ludicrous anyways, to bring one in who wouldn't face a ball last night for a number 8....to be honest England deserve to lose just for this ridiculousness
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

Is it really that significant?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

That is 50 up for Bairstow and 300 up for England.

They seem to want to push on England.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If someone can explain why the heck they've sent Roland Jones out ahead of Moeen here I'd love to hear it

This was one of the stupidest things England have done in a long time - forgetting that the idea of a nightwatchman is ludicrous anyways, to bring one in who wouldn't face a ball last night for a number 8....to be honest England deserve to lose just for this ridiculousness

Ah...take it easy , Olly zen

I agree it was a silly move ; but all it really means is they won't have TRJ available to throw the bat after the stand comes to an end...not as disaster.

Fifty for YJB clap

Boundaries are flowing...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

50 for Bairstow and 300 up for England.

SA need more inroads or they risk England pulling away to a decent total
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:39 am

Strangely, both sides say they would jave batted girst but in hindsight I would say that today looks a far better day to bat. Good toss to lose perhaps? Ali caught in slips with England 303 for 8.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:40 am

And Moeen gone...rather tame poke at Rabada gives catching practice...

303/8... Need Broad to have a cameo ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:40 am

Such a fan of Bairstow.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:44 am

And the night watchman debate is rendered rather pointless this morning as Moeens cameo ends.

SA have bowled well this morning. England will have to match them
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Strangely, both sides say they would jave batted girst but in hindsight I would say that today looks a far better day to bat. Good toss to lose perhaps? Ali caught in slips with England 303 for 8.

Ball is deviating off the pitch, there was spin for Maharaj yesterday - definitely the right choice to bat first
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:46 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Strangely, both sides say they would jave batted girst but in hindsight I would say that today looks a far better day to bat. Good toss to lose perhaps? Ali caught in slips with England 303 for 8.

It does look better for batting. But runs on the board mean a lot ...batting last remains a problem unless you can take a big first innings advantage. You really need to skittle your opponent if you send them in ; and I'm not sure this pitch was quite that bowler friendly.

As Dr Grace said : win the toss and bat ; or think about it - and then bat.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

Broad gone. Morkel strikes at last...312/9

Bairstow running out of partners... Time to tee off ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

alfie wrote:

It does look better for batting.  But runs on the board mean a lot ...batting last remains a problem unless you can take a big first innings advantage.  You really need to skittle your opponent if you send them in ; and I'm not sure this pitch was quite that bowler friendly.

As Dr Grace said : win the toss and bat ; or think about it - and then bat.

Yes that is a fair point.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

Plenty there for the bowlers if you bowl well, England will also be happier not batting last.

320 around par I think, England marginally short of that atm.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

De Kocks been really good this series, but this won't be an innings he'll look back on fondly
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:04 pm

Ali and Broad have let the team down there, much better to hang around and leave Bairstow to open up than throwing your wicket away.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:05 pm

Possibly, but the way Morkel and Rabada bowled first up, you might just get a magic ball anyway
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

You have to give the recognised batsmen a chance to accumulate runs at the other end, it just highlights that Bayliss needs to go.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm

That seems a slight overreaction.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:13 pm

It's not just today, it's every single innings and it's exactly what Bayliss wants and it's not conducive with consistent success at Test level.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm

I agree they need more grit at the top of the order, but the lower order is what it is.

Broads never been a blocker, asking him to play that way is just liable to see him out in short order so he may as well hit a few boundaries batting at 10.

Ali is a batsman in his own right.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:20 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/12231/scorecard/569245/New-Zealand-vs-England-3rd-Test

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:22 pm

350 up...

SA negative plan of spreading the field and hoping to clean up the number eleven getting what it deserves thumbsup

Bairstow to 94 . Can Jimmy stay with him ? Survives a review...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:23 pm

Bairstow has batted superbly with the tail clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:23 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10718/scorecard/1031437/England-vs-South-Africa-1st-Test
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

I await the demands for Bayliss' resignation for Jimmy playing that shot Whistle
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:27 pm

This must be very frustrating for SA.

Should've finished this off this morning for probably slightly under par.

Now England are edging towards a good score.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm

GSC wrote:I agree they need more grit at the top of the order, but the lower order is what it is.

Broads never been a blocker, asking him to play that way is just liable to see him out in short order so he may as well hit a few boundaries batting at 10.

Ali is a batsman in his own right.

Agree with this. Perhaps Broad could be a little more careful at times ; but generally true.

Bairstow to 99 but off strike... Fingers Crossed

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

Gets the strike back...but Maharaj is his nemesis in this series...

. . . And out lbw !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

Oh no, out on 99
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm

Excellent innings from Bairstow but slightly short of his ton.

England would have taken 330+ last night I suspect, so they'll be very happy with that outcome.

Tricky period before lunch for SA.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:34 pm

Excellent effort from Bairstow though. Really dug England to a very good score clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:35 pm

Painful. I'm happy it's half 9 here so my day can't be ruined by that

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:35 pm

Out for 99 ...umpires call on impact Sad

In truth it was a poorly judged shot : Maharaj has his number it seems.

Still he did a great job to see England to an over par 362 clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

Think that Bairstow's last 50 made the batting conditions look a lot better than they are, feel that there is definitely something in the pitch for England's bowlers.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:39 pm

Wonderful play, really was a joy to watch Bairstow till then. His record lately is incredible and his selflessness may have cost him his century but was so very fantastic to see

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm

Got him 3rd ball Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

Jimmy gets Elgar plumb lbw for 0 Yahoo

And from the Anderson end too Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

James Anderson in his first over at the James Anderson end
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm

I tell you what, I would get TRJ on ahead of Broad in these conditions...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

Happy out at Lunch for England. Good early wicket, 40min break and then back at them with the ball still new.

Excellent position to be in. Would still team up Jimmy with TRJ and have Broad at first change. Think TRJ is slightly better when the ball is swinging and is definitely the one with momentum after last test.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 1:40 pm

England now with the upper hand but a good session here for South Africa and it will ne back in the balance. I agree eirebilly I'd get Toby Roland -Jones on now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 05 Aug 2017, 1:41 pm

Should expect South Africa will now look to score runs without losing wickets, preferring to outscore England

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next