The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids

+8
yappysnap
RDW
Sgt_Pooly
eirebilly
geoff999rugby
Golden
rodders
SecretFly
12 posters

Go down

Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids Empty Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 am

Maybe it's because there is only a 'skeleton crew' of contributors left in this rugby section of 606, and maybe it's just that everybody is more concerned with the nitty gritty of the present (either Pro12 League form, European Cup hopes or the coming 6N)  Anyway, I got a little annoyed when I read through some posts this morning.... bickering but no dedicated thread to the leaving of Tommy Bowe...as all players of a certain vintage used to get on these pages.

So I'm not going to say much myself because I have no time to do an official sounding tribute justice and there are quite a few Ulster boys in here that will have more knowledge of the nitty gritty of the man's contribution to their Province.  But here it is.... his name on it's own thread.  

Thank you Tommy for the memories of your big lopping strides cutting up the field like a strong steeple chaser going for the Brook.  
Thanks from all the gushing female admirers you once had in your youthful prime with the big teethed smiles and shy but open personality.... a big baby that the girls all loved.  
Thanks for the pleasantness of your disposition the whole way through your career.  You always seemed ready to take it all in your stride, you could balance it all out in your head.  Disappointment sometimes yes, but you always seemed to know that rugby was only part of the journey through life for everyone...and a small part too when all the chips are down.

I wish you well in whatever you do next...it very much seems like it's going to be TEEVEEE following your little stint on some holiday show I saw you on.
Enjoy your retirement.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids Empty Re: Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids

Post by rodders Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 am

End of an era.

I think it has been on the cards for a while, his body clearly has given up the ghost but hopefully he can recover and go out on a high.

For sure Tommy is one of Ireland best ever wingers and for a 4-5 year  period from 2008 - 2013 one of the words best wingers.

From an Ulster perspective I hate to say but the Ospreys probably got the best of him.

He was phenomenal in 2008, after being left out of the 07 RWC but by the time he returned he'd probably started to wane a bit and struggled to maintain consistency and fitness the way he did in Wales, where he stood out in a stellar Ospreys team.

I think for Ireland the try against Wales on 09 was a real highlight but there were so many, especially in the big games where he was a real go to player for many seasons.

For the Lions he was top scorer in 09 and a test starter on 2 tours, so definitely is one of the best Irish players of his generation but I think he's right to call time as clearly he can't keep up with the new crop anymore.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids Empty Re: Tommy Bowe says it's time to leave the glory to the kids

Post by Golden Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am

He had a great set of lungs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8GnX_mjzGk

Tommy was one of our best players in my lifetime. One of the all too few genuinely world class players to play for us. What's more its wasn't down to freakish size or pace but hard work and intelligent lines.

Not only does he have an extensive highlight reel himself, he will also forever be in Ryle Nugents Very Happy

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am

Laugh

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am

Tommy Bowe is one of the nicest people in the game you could meet
In truth injury has meant he cant play at the level he was - rather than age
He was facing a huge pay cut and will earn more elsewhere
He will be a natural on the box
I don't blame him for leaving Ulster - given the circumstances so would have I

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 am

Sad to see him retire but when the time is right, the time is right.

I always (maybe incorrectly) credit him for being the player that started the tap back from kicks.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 am

Incorrectly, I'd have to say..... as he....................em..................... God, how can I do this on a tribute thread.................. he kinda got too enthusiastic about them for a while and made a hash of some of them in really good try scoring positions that he might have been wiser just grabbing and running for himself.
Never liked those tap backs.... they were much too prone to mistakes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Cracking player.....one of the best wingers in the planet for a number of years.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Sad to see him retire - he's up there with one of my favourite wingers of the professional era. He was outstanding on the 09 Lions tour and a great character on tour as well. His problems on the 2013 tour were well documented and to be fair he was never the same player after that.

Hopefully he recovers from injury and gets a swansong at the end of the season at Ulster.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Great winger, seemed to always find his way to the line even though he looked like he was running in mud. Seems like a genuine nice bloke too

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Nottswasp Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 am

Tommy Bowe.....class player and a top bloke

Nottswasp

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 am

Great player. Sad that so many have left 606v2 too.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 am

A great player in his day and someone I have a lot of respect for. Good luck for the future Tommy!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 am

He's old enough and expensive enough to play for Toulon now...

But seriously, one of the classiest wingers of the pro era. Not a blaster by any means but wonderful hands and an amazing feel for the right supporting line. I met him twice and he was a gent on both occasions. Ireland wouldn't have won so many without him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down