The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers

5 posters

Go down

Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers Empty Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:14 am

What did people think of the event?

I really enjoyed it - some thoughts below;

Pre show - really enjoyed the KO/Zayn segment, and thought the Revival match was good. Not sure about having Mojo be the challenger for the US Title open challenge but guess it was the pre show so was never gonna be someone big

WWE title match - thought it was a good match, the KO/Zayn team is just great to watch - think it was hurt a little bit the inevitability of the end result. Not sure what the pay off for KO/Zayn against Shane is going to be at Wrestlemania...

Smackdown tag title match - thought it was a good match, was nice to see a 2 out of 3 falls match finish in two falls and it made the Usos continue to look strong. I have a feeling they might be coming up against new call ups the Authors of Pain at Wrestlemania...

Mens rumble - loved it from start to finish. Enjoyed the early silliness of some of the entries, Elias is great! Then it kind of built and built to the crescendo really nicely with some good spots along the way (Roman eliminating Seth, Hurricane return etc). The final 6 show off between old/new was a great idea, and the final four literally had me on the edge of my seat as all four could've won and I wouldn't have had a complaint. Great showing for Balor, even if vince doesn't rate him there are clearly many backstage who do, and for Nakamura to finally get the win was the right result - Styles vs Nakamura in the Wrestlemania main event is phwoar!

Raw tag title match - was a decent match, obviously killed by being after the rumble. Enjoying Jason Jordan more and more, and think it was right to get the title back on the Bar

Universal title match - as with the WWE title match, kind of hurt by the inevitability of the finish and outcome, but still an enjoyable match I thought. Was never going to be a wrestling clinic, but enjoyed some of the spots. Legit thought Brock/Braun were going to get into a proper brawl after that knee and then punch (included a bleep out of something Brock said) - that brought some intensity, even though I don't think it was deliberate. Also Cole stunk on comms this match

Womens rumble - was a tad surprised it went on last, but with the finish I think it had too. Steph was a bit annoying on comms but not as bad as feared. The match itself was again really well booked, and was good to see some of the returnees, in particular Vickie and Trish (who was great). Enjoyed the face offs towards the end, with Trish/Mickie, Sasha/Trish and Sasha/Asuka - and Nikki eliminating Brie was a nice twist too. Right result with Asuka winning, and then Ronda debuting at the end, although slightly weird (I'm not sure she was given great direction), was the right way to bring her in imo and really builds up hype for the mania season on the womens side. Also seems like we'll be getting a much needed Sasha heel turn after her antics and Bailey elimination...

Really enjoyed it overall - thought it was one of the best Rumble PPVs in the past decade easily

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers Empty Re: Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers

Post by Beer Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:23 pm

Hi Olly,

Thanks for your question.

I also enjoyed it. I didn't watch the Pre-Show, as at this point i wasn't sure if I was going to stay up, however, I decided to stay up after incorrectly thinking the Women's Rumble was opening.

Styles vs. Kami was very good. Slow burning start and then a typical handicap match. I didn't realise until mid match that they would Co-op the World Title. AJ really is incredible. Had he been around earlier he'd be headlining Mania year after year. Finish keeps the feud going with Shane which is cool, though i'm starting to wonder what the pay off is?

Usos vs. Gable was disappointing. I thought they would've done more with this. The SDLive tag scene needs freshening up.

I was genuinely surprised that the Men's Rumble match was going on early, and at this point, I knew someone from Smackers was winning, and it wasn't going to be Bryan. From then on it was thoroughly enjoyable, though I disagree with the ending, I felt it dragged somewhat, and Cena having to coach Reigns and Finn through spots was ridiculously obvious. The Heath Slater thing was brilliant. I just wish he'd stayed out until nearer the end, would've made it funny. The standard Kofi spot was funny. I do think they wasted a few entrants. Ziggler at #30 and then not even making the last 4. Goldust at #29. Rey, Rey the murderous midget didn't look fat for a change. I think i would've used Aleister Black over Adam Cole, and maybe a few other legends. But overall, really enjoyable Rumble.

Wasn't fussed over the Raw Tag match, the Jordan thing at the end was funny. Right team won.

The Universal title match was just a car crash brawl, and really enjoyable. Braun kneeing Brock square in the head and then getting smacked in the jaw was quality. Felt for Kane, he was gassing early doors and really just took most of the punishment. Braun looked legit throughout, how they haven't pulled the trigger on him yet still annoys me.

Women's Rumble was also really enjoyable. Steph wasn't irritating, but she constantly needed to be prompted. Graves was superb on commentary, especially for his treatment of Sasha. The cameos in this were much better than the Men's match. Lita was superb, and McCool clearly using her backstage pull as Mrs Taker to rack up some eliminations. Thought Kairi looked very good, shame they didn't have her face off with Asuka. The Ember/Asuka bit was quality. Ember is going to be a top addition to the main roster. The ending sequences were really cool, even if all the women eliminating the Big Show was obvious. Was desperate for Ronda to appear, but alas, i got a refund for her not winning/appearing, but coming out at the end was awesome, marked out a little, even if she was kinda awkward.

Biggest gripe is Michael Cole. Such a pr|ck on commentary. Laughing at spots, hardly selling, and constantly repeating the rules for the Women's rumble despite there having been 30 previous Rumble matches. I was waiting for him to say 'No Woman has ever entered #1 and gone on to win'. Helmet.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers Empty Re: Royal Rumble discussion - obviously spoilers

Post by Samo Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:40 pm

I dont have a problem with the women Main Eventing out of principle, but the crowd were almost dead after the Mens match, and there were too many returns and nostalgia spots it didnt feel like a real main event. Even with Rousey coming out after this still could have opened. Maria Meneneneneounsousnous as the announcer was dreadful, and Steph added nothing to commentary, I would have opened with this and book ended the PPV with the Rumbles.

The mens Rumble was excellent, one of the best Rumbles in recent years and booked brilliantly. Loved the Heath bits and hoped it could have gone on longer, and when it came to the final four there was a real feeling any of the four could win. Nakkers last eliminated Reigns was the icing on the cake because it guaranteed the crowd would go ape.

I enjoyed the opening two matches and thought they were paced really well. Uso's in particular looked brilliant, but the RAW side definitely suffered from a worn out crowd. The Universal title match was fun but very by the numbers. Agreed with Olly, Coles - and the rest of the commentary - was awful during this match.

It could have been a very good PPV, but I feel it was its own worst enemy with the placement of the matches.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:56 pm

I think the issue is, Samo, that if you always planned the Rousey debut, you couldn't have that open the show. Mainstream media, and social media would've been hot with all the talk of her and no focus on the other matches. Crowd probably would've been dead and most would assume Reigns was winning and dumped all over it.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Jan 2018, 5:20 pm

Can see why the women went last but yeah, if you're doing 2 rumble matches one probably needs to open so there's a decent gap between the two.

Steph putting himself front and centre of the entire thing is rather grating if I'm honest. Smacks of her wanting this to be her legacy.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:08 pm

Women’s was the better Rumble but I still think it should have opened. Political decision.

Having returns that mean something made the novelty worth t.

Both good Runbles but the men’s felt a bit tame because you knew nothing huge could happen

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:10 pm

Favourite moment of the night:

Ronda very clearly points at the WrestleMania sign

“Ronda is pointing at the WrestleMania sign!”

It’s the subtle touches that make commentary epic

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:11 pm

Also, Ronda just shines charisma

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 30 Jan 2018, 9:52 am

Absolutely.

Her facial expressions, from smiley 'OMG i'm in the WWE' waving at fans to 'I'm gonna rip your head of at Mania'.

She's going to be huge.

I do wish she'd come out to Brock's music.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:52 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Women’s was the better Rumble but I still think it should have opened.

Bold statement. I think it relied to heavy on the nostalgia call-ups which lost alot of their power because we’ve just seen them all on RAW 25. I’d have opened it to NXT aswell, and given spots to the likes of Nikki Cross and the Iconic Duo before giving spots to Jaqueline and Kelly Kelly. Also, some of the women are from a time where women didnt take bumps over the top rope and it showed. Some of those eliminations were ugly.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:59 am

Samo wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Women’s was the better Rumble but I still think it should have opened.

Bold statement. I think it relied to heavy on the nostalgia call-ups which lost alot of their power because we’ve just seen them all on RAW 25. I’d have opened it to NXT aswell, and given spots to the likes of Nikki Cross and the Iconic Duo before giving spots to Jaqueline and Kelly Kelly. Also, some of the women are from a time where women didnt take bumps over the top rope and it showed. Some of those eliminations were ugly.

Some of them were awful, and it really highlighted the gulf in class between the era of Divas and the Womens era. However, the Women's Rumble is testament to just how far things have come. I think had you focused on the WWE's new, current and upcoming talent it would be a big middle finger to everyone past who; regardless of ability, helped create this. The likes of Moolah, Mae Young, led the way for the Alundra Blayze, Medusa, Terri Runnels', the Debra's, the Jacqui's, the Kieblers, Wilson's and Lita's to where we are now. You had to celebrate them. And i thought it was done well. Better than watching Kevin Nash hobble to the ring.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:15 pm

I think the nostalgia worked. That Raw 25 thing was about quick pops, but we got to see some of them properly have a go and be in the ring again. It’s easier for them to get those nostalgia pops cos it’s not 10
Years of cheap Rimble moments like the men have done, but they did it well.

The men’s was decent but I didn’t really feel like anyone did anything. And it was poor on stories, whereas usually I feel like they make things happen for the future. Whilst I liked the new and old face off, or the Indy vs wwe face off, it was otherwise weak outside of Slater’s joke

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down