The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach

+10
PhilBB
Gooseberry
mikey_dragon
Taylorman
hugehandoff
Luckless Pedestrian
SecretFly
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
Noble-Surfer
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach - Page 2 Empty Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach

Post by Noble-Surfer Mon 09 Jul 2018, 2:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wayne Pivac is to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach on a four year deal after the World Cup in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44757428

As a Wales fan, I think this is a very good appointment, and probably what most of us were hoping for. I expect (hope) he will also freshen up the back room staff- and would hope Stephen Jones is in with a good shout for backs coach... Though this would also be a big blow for the Scarlets...

As a Scarlets fan, I'm less pleased, as he has done a great job for us over the last few years- but I think he has helped to build a good culture there, which will hopefully continue & improve with the appointment of the next coach.

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm

According to New Zealand people it's ok to mess with Jake the Muss's daughter. Or was it just OK according to Uncle Bully?!

Back to top Go down

Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Wayne Pivac to succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2018, 12:20 pm

The Oracle wrote:According to New Zealand people it's ok to mess with Jake the Muss's daughter.  Or was it just OK according to Uncle Bully?!
Weirdo, are you hiding something mate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm

ebop wrote:
The Oracle wrote:According to New Zealand people it's ok to mess with Jake the Muss's daughter.  Or was it just OK according to Uncle Bully?!

One voice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2018, 12:42 pm

The Oracle wrote:
ebop wrote:

One voice!
One voice? Think you should keep your weirdo analogies to yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 14 Jul 2018, 12:50 am

Taylorman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Taylorman, not sure where you've been but these Welsh coaches simply aren't there. Cardiff tried to bring on a few welsh coaches and it backfired... It took a decent Welsh coach a long time to undo all that and he's since moved on to pastures new (Scotland) - Wilson is one for the future though. There's also Dai Young who has a lot of relevant experience but he seems to take 10 years to do anything of note. Then there's Howley, a Welsh coach who Gatland has been 'bringing on' without success. I mean Gats even tried improving him by taking him on multiple Lions tours to improve him and that didn't work either, in fact... Howley actually lost more credibility! These Welsh coaches just aren't there right now and might not be for another decade. I think we need a good kiwi coach at every team in Wales for our teams and hopefully coaches to improve, that's the reality of the situation.

All the more reason to bleed the ones you're paying the big bucks to I guess, and if Gatland's been trying guess its a hopeless venture. Its as though there's a secret formula, a Colonels recipe that only some have access to. I can understand churning players out of a well run system but with coaching there's a much more tenuous link to a teams performance. Its more about communication, organisation, planning, having a vision than skills, speed, strength.

But fair enough, I wish Pivac well when he starts, and to Gats with whatever he decides to do.

Coaching the All Blacks Smile.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 16 Jul 2018, 7:35 am

PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Wales will not have decent coaches until the current crop of professional players retire and decide to take up coaching, lets not forget, we only became properly pro in Wales when the regions were set-up, and they were filled with players from the old clubs, where professionalism was a joke.

What we have seen here in Wales, is players from a ropy pro background becoming coaches, who, themselves were coached by amateurs. The players we have today, AWJ, Warburton, Biggar, until most of these senior players hang up their boots and become coaches, only then will we start seeing a fully professional outfit.

We need to weed out all the amateurism in the game, we need professional coaches for professional players. Until this happens, then there will not be any decent coaches in Wales. We are still playing catch up in this regard.

Coaches like Howley & Young were brought up in a time where we did not have a clue about being pro. When Graham Henry came up here he could not believe the approach we took to the game, even Hansen was bewildered, and we have heard Gatland saying as much as well, the players we have today, are all being taken under the wing of foreign coaches at their regions, coaches who know all about professionalism.

We will not see any decent Welsh head coaches until this generation of players decide to become coaches, they will then take on board what they have been coached and pass it on to the players they are coaching, not what they have read, or been told, but what they have witnessed first hand.

This is my view on it anyway.

I was with you all the way until you mentioned Young. And why I disagree with you on him is because of the time he spent in League.

I agree with LD. young did see a level of quality professionalism but nothing compared to the Southern Hemisphere, even during the amateur era the All Blacks had a professional attitude to rugby, sports scientists, analyst, analysis and statistics. Players diet and welfare were managed training and coaching was on a much higher standard.

Read Jonathan Davies biog years ago and it talks at great length about the first RWC and the difference between the North and South and their adoption of modern attitudes to sport

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 Jul 2018, 3:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Read Jonathan Davies biog years ago and it talks at great length about the first RWC and the difference between the North and South and their adoption of modern attitudes to sport

The first Rugby World Cup was in 1997.

Dai Young went to Leeds in 1990. He'd had 6 years as a proper full time professional before the Union game went open
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon 16 Jul 2018, 4:35 pm

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 16 Jul 2018, 4:55 pm

Scarpia wrote:1987

Yeah, typo, sorry.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2