The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacquiao v Matthysse

3 posters

Go down

Pacquiao v Matthysse Empty Pacquiao v Matthysse

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 20 Jul 2018, 4:15 am

Didn't anyone watch the fight between Pac man and Matthysse last weekend? Whilst claiming the belt at his eighth different weight class he did it in style, knocking his younger opponent down three times and causing the Ref to call enough in the seventh round. If Pac man feels it's time to retire, now would be a good time to do it,with a good win over a reasonable foe.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Pacquiao v Matthysse Empty Re: Pacquiao v Matthysse

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 20 Jul 2018, 10:26 am

Matthysse was a shot fighter - he had nothing to offer anymore othr than a lucky big punch and I don't think that was ever going to happen. Well done and props to Manny - he did turn back the clock a bit, but it's easy to suggest that someone's got their mojo back when the opposition wasn't actually that good.

Nathaniel Jacobs said it best on the 2018 Boxing Chat thread - Matthysse may have beaten Provodnikov but Provodnikov took his soul that night. He certainly hasn't been the same fighter since. Don't get me wrong - I love a fighter with one-punch lights out power, but Matthysse has been done for a while and it is for the secondary WBA title. Against Matthysse, any of the other welter titleholders would have also had a field day. Manny has nothing to prove and he did what he needed to, but we shouldn't give him much more praise than that. They're both faded fighters, just one more faded than the other.

I also agree that it would be a good time to retire. I really don't want to see Manny become another Roy Jones.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 20 Jul 2018, 1:05 pm

Manny needs to hang them up now or I suppose he could go out on his shield against one of the younger fighters. Think if he's not careful he's going to ruin his reputation (for now). Done well and was the solid no2 for a long time, should be proud and follow his other desires.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down