The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nepotism in Pro Wrestling.....

+2
pauline1981
Brady12
6 posters

Go down

Nepotism in Pro Wrestling..... Empty Nepotism in Pro Wrestling.....

Post by Brady12 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

Just finished watching Lengends of wrestling roundtable discussion on rivaliries & the subject of Nepotism came up as Michael Haynes discussed The Freebirds & The Von Erichs & Bret Hart talked about his dad Stu's teritory.

Hart confessed his brothers were pushed but claimed it was out of neccessity due to the fact his family would remain loyal to the family business, rather than seek big bucks in the US. Hayes agreed saying The Von Erichs were legit 'rock star type figures' in Dallas during the early 80's....

Fast forward to the present day & i read an article where Road Warrior Animal said he couldn't get a job in WWE BECAUSE of nepotism, despite his brother being high up in the company. Di Biase, Husky Harris, Migillicutty all struggling, but on the other hand Orton & 'The Son-in-Laws' jobs look pretty safe! How do you think nepotism is seen in wrestling today?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Nepotism in Pro Wrestling..... Empty Re: Nepotism in Pro Wrestling.....

Post by pauline1981 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

i agree

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:35 pm

It's only nepotism if a family member is in power. For example Orton's position is not nepotism and his dad is hardly an all-time great (although I'm sure having a famous name helped).

I don't think Triple H or Jeff Jarrett count either. They are in power themselves. It's a different kind of abuse of power.

It's always existed in wrestling and I believe always will.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

Not sure what your saying Crips? If it's only on regards to those in power are you saying it has decreased since McMahon bought the territories? Then you say it's always gonna be around?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

Yeah crips is right its only nepotism if the person in question (ie the first generation superstar) is the one in power, and its not as if the likes of Bob Orton, Dusty Rhodes or Ted DiBiase have any power or influence in the WWE.

I see the point you are trying to make though Brady but nepotism is the wrong word. I definately dont think 2nd/3rd generation superstars get automatic rub because of their name, it has to be earnt, there are plenty of guys who havent made the grade or matched the achievements of their parents. I dont think Vince cares less who you are.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

Brady, what I meant is that while there are very few examples of nepotism taking place at present, it's something that will always exist in the right circumstances. For example Shane McMahon would never, ever, in a million years, have ever main evented a wrestling PPV if his dad wasn't Vince.

My other point was that nepotism, like H says, is different to being second or third generation.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Thanks guys enjoy your comments as ever

I maybe wrong but wasn't Jerry Jarrett the head booker in the Nashville Terriotory where Jeff made his name. I don't consider Jarrett's current standing in TNA as Nepotism but do you not consider he's benefitted from it in the past?

Would you guys agree it was much more rife in the territory era?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

Yeah Jerry Jarrett pushed Jeff when he was booking in Tennessee. It would make sense that it happened more in the territories, as bookers knew their own children were more reliable and more likely to stay in the territory (or, if they did leave, to do it the right way).

It happened everywhere - The Harts in Stampede, The Von Erichs in Texas, the Grahams in Florida, the Lawlers in Memphis, and so on. It also happened with Erik Watts in WCW and Shane and Stephanie McMahon in the WWE.

I think it did happen more often during the territory days, but that makes perfect sense, because there was so much more wrestling around. In the last 25 years there have been substantially less wrestling promotions, so there are less promoters, there are less children of promoters, and there are less children of promoters who ended up as wrestlers.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

Davieswasacrippledtart wrote:Brady, what I meant is that while there are very few examples of nepotism taking place at present, it's something that will always exist in the right circumstances. For example Shane McMahon would never, ever, in a million years, have ever main evented a wrestling PPV if his dad wasn't Vince.

My other point was that nepotism, like H says, is different to being second or third generation.

Vert true but McMahon became a legitimate character due to circumstances, not because he thought I'm the owner I fancy a shot at this. The fans demanded the Mr McMahon charcater got in the ring with Stone Cold.... Subsequently his sibblings became on screen talent by association.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:17 pm

Mr H wrote: I definately dont think 2nd/3rd generation superstars get automatic rub because of their name
I can't agree with this at all H, there are many many guys clogging up the WWE and FCW and getting opportunities they otherwise wouldn't have got if they didn't have that second name, for every Orton there is 10 Manu's

Last edited by the-gaffer on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

But their name only takes them so far as well.

I think sometimes having a famous name can actually harm people, I think it has hurt Ted Dibiase, although that might just because he's incredibly boring, and I still see people complaning about Cody Rhodes for "leaching off his father's legacy" despite the fact he has done well without really using his dad's name.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:32 pm

Yes Leak but how far they go isn't the point, the point is that the get the initial push over often better talent because of who their Daddy is, Cody Rhodes is doing brilliantly well just now but even he was a pale, bland, skinny shambles when he debuted, he only debuted because his old man was in a feud with Orton, he was far to green to be used and its to his credit he turned it around

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:34 pm

Fair enough. OK

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

Thats not factual tho to be fair thats just my opinion

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm

I'm siding with Gaffer really, it helps get yourself initially on the map, but then again I agree that it only takes you so far....

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Sat 11 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Well yeah that's basically what I meant it might help you get an opportunity but it doesn't give you an automatic main event push. if you are as wooden as a door andhave less charisma than a dead goat it doesn't matter if your surname is DiBiase you won't be as succesful as your more talented father.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down