The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms

+6
Standulstermen
Gibson
Dougie
Shifty
Montague Withnail
Portnoy
10 posters

Go down

Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms Empty Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms

Post by Portnoy Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

I love England. Well done the U20s.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms Empty Re: Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms

Post by Portnoy Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

That was a huge win under considerable pressure.

A couple of 6Ns and the odd Triple Crown and maybe a GS on the way. That's all conceivable on the road to 2015.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms Empty Re: Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms

Post by Montague Withnail Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

Dreadful game I thought. Ireland offered practically nothing in attack or defence, England's game was fine but that's irrelevant because the discipline was an utter disgrace.

I'm glad we got the 5 points because I really want to see England get a chance against the big teams later, but at the same time this is the exact same problem the lads had in the 6Ns, domination in every phase of the game except the all-important breakdown, you will always give other teams a chance if you play that way. South Africa are going to roast us I think which is a real shame because there is huge talent in this side. Everard has to go but he was only the worst offender, they were all at fault,

Montague Withnail

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

Looks as though the Irish need to do another trawl through Wales to get some decent young talent Rolling Eyes
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

It's a big tournament for the young lads and although the Irish pegged them back well in the second half ,we got the result .
Well done Engalnd Smile

Dougie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

No Portnoy, we love England.. its just you we have a problem with... Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms 769663 <Tigerale>

England were too strong. You breed them younger and stronger. But the Irish played above themselves in the 2nd-half and I can see some future stars coming from it all. From both sides.

Hoi Mr. Withnail. How's Camberwell these days? Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Montague Withnail Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

We've bugged out. Not sure Godalming Carrot has quite the same ring, but on the other hand, a lot fewer teenage murders, so... swings and roundabouts. It's nice out here though and my oldest boy starts micro rugby this September. He can't wait and neither can I.

Sorry about myearlier outburst, was a bit harsh on Ireland, but I was cross with England. Andy Farrell said they were "schooled" at the breakdown. If that's true then these boys are a bit thick because Wales, Scotland and France all gave the England lads exactly the same lesson and they don't seem to have learnt a thing.

Last edited by Montague Withnail on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Montague Withnail

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:05 pm

Gibson wrote:No Portnoy, we love England.. its just you we have a problem with... Nobody loves us. Everybody hates us. I'm going down the garden to eat worms 769663 <Tigerale>

England were too strong. You breed them younger and stronger. But the Irish played above themselves in the 2nd-half and I can see some future stars coming from it all. From both sides.

Hoi Mr. Withnail. How's Camberwell these days? Ale

Don't go getting inclusive on me Gibs,

What the English thrive on is having having their backs to the wall. We've earned our hatred over the centuries. So there's no point wasting all that effort/inactivity.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:45 pm

Montague,
Never apologise. Its a sign of weakness. I read that somewhere, but yet, I still say sorry to people I respect. What's that all about then? Good to hear about your son, btw. Its essential.

England should have put us away easily. You and Portnoy are right to be pished off. You let us in. And we started to believe we could beat you in the 2nd half.

OK at Senior level. That's normal. But, at that level - it's not. I was pleased that a few of our future stars shined and stood up. Don't really care about the comp, per se. Just care about one or 2 gems to feed the 1st Team.

Don't know what ye 2 feel about that. Who looks like breaking through?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

Portnoy Man,
I thought that when we met, understood each other and laughed together - at Welford Road... that would never be the case. I am so fussy with the humanoids I mix and spend my precious time with. And I treasured that day, ya bollix.I live on mutual-respect. Bit old-fashioned, but its how I am.

Your move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4vUaNQKHk

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Looks as though the Irish need to do another trawl through Wales to get some decent young talent Rolling Eyes

I cant find the emoticon for hilarious laughter Alan. But I found this one. guinness

Thanks for the ex-Welsh, SLAM-winning, National coach, for our U-20's btw. That was a nice thing to do. He's moved on up. Which is nice. So has his son.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Montague Withnail Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm

Funily enough Gibson, I do kind of care about the competition itself. A lot of those lads will never play for England, some of them might not even make it as professionals. Others will probably go on to be huge stars, and the the U20s will seem stupid to them, but I still want them all to be successful in their own right. They are English blokes (sort of) and for now winning this will mean the world to them. I want to see them be successful, but if they do themselves proud and leave with no regrets, then it's all good.

Future stars can be difficult to call. Hugo Ellis captained England to a grand slam and JWC final and was man of the match once or twice, but he couldn't even make it at the Dragons. Having said that it would he a pretty big surprise if George Ford didn't make something of himself, and I think Daly, Vunipola, Gray, Thomas, Launchberry and Kvesic are in a similar place. They've all played enough senior club rugby to show they probably have what it takes.

What about your side, you must be pretty satisfied with the talent conveyor at Leinster?

Montague Withnail

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

Gibson wrote:Portnoy Man,
I thought that when we met, understood each other and cried together - at Welford Road... that would never be the case. I am so fussy with the humanoids I mix and spend my precious time with. And I treasured that day, ya bollix.I live on mutual-respect. Bit old-fashioned, but its how I am.

Your move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4vUaNQKHk

Gibbo, mate. Rarely have I met a geezer as personable as you.

Don't confuse my acerbic comments on 606 with me.

I love you man. (that's a quote from a bloke I once met - can't remember who Smile )
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:04 am

Yes Montague. England just looked a whole level higher and stronger to me, tbh. At all times during the game. As a team and as a setup, the future is bright for you. You should fully expect the highest standards than the rest of the NH, including France.

For our boys: I see Marshall, Gilroy, Conway, Jackson (he looks like a younger Sexton to me - raw but trying too hard to impress) and Macken break through.

I believe they will all make the full Irish squad.
I like your attitude of seeing this as a comp in its' own right too. Success breeds success. Maybe I was too dismissive of it. Ireland won the Churchil Cup back 2 years ago, vs the Saxons. Nearly every player involved in that, is in the mix for the RWC now. Ergo - it works.

We made a big mistake in not competing in that this year. England did.As well the U20's. Such is the depth that you have at your disposal. MJ & Co are doing their job well. Give them time and space.

When it comes to the RWC, I see England seriously competing for the whole thing. I would be happy just to make a SF for the 1st time in our long, decrepit, history in it.

Not being nice. Just being real.

If, Declan Kidney, played 12 Leinstermen in the RWC - we would make the SF. And maybe go further. But, dont spread that around roysh. Munster & Ulster fans can be a wee bit sensitive about that kind of thing. Ale

Portnoy. We go back - virtually and in real-time. We are cool man. Just touching base and the next beer's on you mate. Ale

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:08 am

I think it might be hard for Macken to get chances at Leinster Gibbo. EOM will have the 13 slot during the RWC (with McFadden potentially also left behind) and then when BOD returns he is further down the pecking order. I hope he does see gametime at ML level soon though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:21 am

Stand,
Fair comment.Except for Mcfadden - who will travel. But, believe me, Leinster wont let Macken go. If all things go to plan, I see him by-passing O Malley - who I think - will be shifted to another province. Macken has more latent talent than O Malley.

I may be wrong. There's always a 1st time.

Who knows man, but it's just the way I see it now.

Loving Marshall & Gilroy btw. They Shone.

It was an Ulster/Leinster combo out there. And they done good. Shusssh.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:29 am

I hope McFadden does travel too Gibbo. Just not sure how deccie will go on that one.

I was wondering where you thought Macken stood regarding O'Malley. He has a few years on him anyway. Marshall will be a world star imo.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 1:47 am

Only caught the second half. It wasn't a great game, but the thing I really liked seeing was that although we did let Ireland back in, as soon as they went in front we stepped it up again and immediately got the penalty, which Ford slotted. Then, after the 22 drop out when Ireland had gone down to 14, we span it wide, went for the try and got the bonus point.

I thought we'd lose it when Ireland went ahead, but to turn it back round and win 5 match-points to 0 was a great acheivement, even if the performance was poor.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:05 am

Exactly Robbo,
England just looked a step above and did what they had to do - when they needed to do it.

Montague is right. I missed the essence of his point earlier.Some of these lads, on both sides, will never play at this level again. So, let them enjoy the memory of it and relish it all. His son has a good mentor.

I hope they - England, go on to win it and find some future stars, in doing so. They will up their game for the Saffers and beyond.

I hope Ireland find a few gems out of it too. There are 5 I'm banking on. 3 from Ulster(Gilroy, Marshall & Jackson).And 2 from Leinster (Conway & Macken).
Some, will fall by the international wayside. We'll see.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:25 am

Gibson wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:Looks as though the Irish need to do another trawl through Wales to get some decent young talent Rolling Eyes

I cant find the emoticon for hilarious laughter Alan. But I found this one. guinness

Thanks for the ex-Welsh, SLAM-winning, National coach, for our U-20's btw. That was a nice thing to do. He's moved on up. Which is nice. So has his son.

Oooooooooooooooooops. Nibble nibble Gibson. Good biting pal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

Gibson wrote:

Yup I think you had both his sons from the Ospreys. Then Connaght went hoovering up another couple of Welsh boys with Irish grannies, then you were sniffing round Prydie. and we wont mention the stuff you did in Neath in the 90's with Matthew McCarthy and Patrick Horgan... laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 12 Jun 2011, 12:30 am

If you keep an eye on one U20 outside centre from Leinster... make it Alex Kelly.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

Gibson wrote:

If, Declan Kidney, played 12 Leinstermen in the RWC - we would make the SF. And maybe go further. But, dont spread that around roysh. Munster & Ulster fans can be a wee bit sensitive about that kind of thing. Ale

I agree but it won't happen.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun 12 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

roddersm wrote:
Gibson wrote:

I agree but it won't happen.

It could be argued that a similar proposition could be put forward from the English East Midlands. But that would whiff of arrogance. So I for one wouldn't propose it. Wink
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 12 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

Worked for Wales in the 2008 six nations Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down