The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The AWJ Appreciation Thread

+16
LondonTiger
bluestonevedder
Afro
No 7&1/2
Gooseberry
LordDowlais
robbo277
BamBam
Pie
yappysnap
mikey_dragon
R!skysports
Eejit
tigertattie
SecretFly
TightHEAD
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The AWJ Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty The AWJ Appreciation Thread

Post by TightHEAD Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

The man is a legend.

Lets big him up.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/lovely-thing-alun-wyn-jones-15985854

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

The AWJ Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The AWJ Appreciation Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019, 1:44 pm

I don't watch Pro14' I think it a sub standard competition with dodgy refs...so I meant the Farrell one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019, 1:46 pm

Yeah, that's the game. Pity he had to go off for a concussion injury rather than a red for dangerous play. But that's refs for you - blind when they want to be.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019, 1:51 pm

I think you'll find that he gave his shoulder concussion, Owen obviously didn't need to leave the field

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 19 Mar 2019, 1:53 pm

SecretFly wrote:Yeah, that's the game.  Pity he had to go off for a concussion injury rather than a red for dangerous play.  But that's refs for you - blind when they want to be.

The good thing was that AWJ helped Farrell off the pitch and then when Farrell got to the changing rooms, AWJ was already in there waiting to do the HIA.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 19 Mar 2019, 1:58 pm

Laugh brilliant

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019, 2:10 pm

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Mar 2019, 2:11 pm

Damn smiley no show again

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 19 Mar 2019, 9:39 pm

Laugh Laugh

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 20 Mar 2019, 12:05 pm

Is there any news on the ACL he tore during the game or has he still got the tape on?

Most players are out of the game for two to six months, yet he just got up and played on, legend.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 20 Mar 2019, 2:23 pm

Saw an article in the telegraph. Opta have credited Jones with the most effective defensive ruck involvements in the tournament. Probably means more than the Grand Slam, that one.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 20 Mar 2019, 2:25 pm

Out of interest what does that mean?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 20 Mar 2019, 3:28 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Out of interest what does that mean?

To be effective at a defensive ruck, you either need to turn the ball over, slow the ball down or force the opposition to commit more numbers. You can have a ruck involvement by just attending, but for an effective involvement you need to disrupt the opposition team.

I think in attack, effective involvements are basically securing quick ball. Again, if the ball is secure and you attend, you get an involvement stat but not an affective involvement stat. I think Kruis led effective involvements at attacking rucks, if memory serves. It was only this morning so I'd hope I could remember.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 20 Mar 2019, 3:36 pm

Cheers. A little subjective then but the only attempt I've heard of in trying to do. Hopefully it becomes more widely available and used. Tv analysis for rugby is a bit behind in using stats beyond tackles and possession.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 20 Mar 2019, 4:26 pm

Interesting. AWJ certainly makes a pain of himself at ruck time so no a huge surprise to see him top the stat.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 Mar 2019, 9:28 am

I do think there should be yellow cards for 'nuisance' behaviour. It sometimes gets far too messy in those ruck, and the main culprit should get ten on the sidelines. It slows down the game, annoys rugby league fans and reduces the spectacle! More yellows for AWJ please.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 21 Mar 2019, 9:48 am

It is easy to state what AWJ is not. He is not a big tackler, he is not a noted ball carrier, he does not dominate lineouts. He does not threaten the most commonly used stats charts. It is easy for people from the outside to criticise him. I know this upsets some and has caused massive arguments - yet there is some truth in all the naysayers comments, even as they completely miss the point.

Thing is exactly the same accusations thrown at AWJ could also have been thrown at Martin Johnson in his pomp. The simple fact though is their countries were better with them in the side than they were without. By a long way. In a team game that is what matters.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:29 am

I may have been too young to remember Johnson in his pomp, but I'd like to think I have a decent ish recollection of him from 2000-2003, and even though you are a Tigers fan, I disagree with your assessment!

Ball carrying - he was a massive lump, he may not have had the speed on to the ball of today's locks, but he would very rarely get hit backwards, and my abiding memory of him is that carry to set up the drop goal in Sydney

Line outs - again, he wasn't the athletic middle jumper type, but other than Justin Harrison, I don't remember many beating him on those short throws to the front that so many of our mauls were built around

Jonno defined the white Orc aura around England at the time, if forums existed then, I can't imagine Welsh/Irish/Scottish fans being as vocal in thinking that he didn't deserve a starting spot on that Lions tour as everyone bar Wales fans were about AWJ last time out

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 21 Mar 2019, 11:08 am

Disagreements are allowed.

Johnson was very effective, he usually made the right decisions (temper not withstanding) and made few mistakes. He was however a man for working in the tight but some revisionists (Stephen Jones) are already downplaying him and pushing Simon Shaw as the greatest English lock ever.

Guess what I am saying is that Johnno was not a highlights reel player, nor is AWJ, but there are many ways to be effective. For me I can pay no greater compliment to AWJ to state that his effect on Welsh performances is comparable to Johnno's for England.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 21 Mar 2019, 11:20 am

I don't actually disagree with anyone who says how good he is for Wales morale, leadership, and is likely still the best lock they have

I have just always disagreed with any notion that he is any better a lock than various others that he is compared to.

Now that you've mentioned Shaw, if I could only have him or AWJ, Shaw would be in the team faster than you could say Simon

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2019, 11:27 am

Johnson is a legend and probably the only English player to gain that status. The guy had mana. Can’t think of any others. AWJ doesn’t really register to be honest. Bit of a toiler toiling away.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 Mar 2019, 11:43 am

Toiling away and winning. It ain't bad. Rugby is a lovely game. Anyone can turn up and have a go. High speed sprinters, little lads, giants, fat boys ( yes they are still about) skinny kids...and AWJ. Anyone can have a go. And if they have enough fire in the blood and warrior attitude of never giving up or giving way... then they can be part of a winning team.

Don't knock the word 'ordinary' in rugby. The game is beautiful for the very reason that often some ordinary fellas can play one of the very toughest sports in the world and sometimes win.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2019, 11:57 am

Oh, I’m not knocking AWJs’ ordinariness, just say that he is just that. Good on him battling away and winning a 6Ns.

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 21 Mar 2019, 12:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:I do think there should be yellow cards for 'nuisance' behaviour.  It sometimes gets far too messy in those ruck, and the main culprit should get ten on the sidelines.  It slows down the game, annoys rugby league fans and reduces the spectacle!  More yellows for AWJ please.

AWJ has contracted the same super powers McCaw had at the breakdown, Refs just can't see the foul play and attempts to slow down the game. Only a matter of time before someone else is infected with this super power, Lets hope its Curry.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2019, 1:01 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:I do think there should be yellow cards for 'nuisance' behaviour.  It sometimes gets far too messy in those ruck, and the main culprit should get ten on the sidelines.  It slows down the game, annoys rugby league fans and reduces the spectacle!  More yellows for AWJ please.

AWJ has contracted the same super powers McCaw had at the breakdown, Refs just can't see the foul play and attempts to slow down the game. Only a matter of time before someone else is infected with this super power, Lets hope its Curry.
When you’re a good buggar like McCaw and AWJ it’s only fair and righteous the referee turns a blind eye. McCaw worked part time in soup kitchens and the referees knew this. What I don’t get, is uptight goobers like Farrell tackle with their shoulders at heads and somehow get the same treatment as Saints McCaw and AWJ. It’s not how the universe works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu 21 Mar 2019, 1:58 pm

May I remind people, some especially, that this thread is set up for contributions that praise AWJ. Perhaps the criticism belongs elsewhere.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 21 Mar 2019, 2:24 pm

Scarpia wrote:May I remind people, some especially, that this thread is set up for contributions that praise AWJ. Perhaps the criticism belongs elsewhere.

AWJ is just doing what we all what we all did whilst playing the game, but he never gets caught like we did. That is praise.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 22 Mar 2019, 10:29 am

Good to see the great man win the 6 Nations Player of the Tournament, and then deflect his award to his team mates. Says it all really.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 22 Mar 2019, 10:50 am

He's not going to sleep with you wayne, let it go

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 22 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

It's normally going to go to a player from the winning team. Think it's only when England win it doesn't! They don't seem to have released a breakdown of the vote.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 22 Mar 2019, 11:07 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:It's normally going to go to a player from the winning team. Think it's only when England win it doesn't! They don't seem to have released a breakdown of the vote.

Stuart Hogg is an honoury Englishman.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 22 Mar 2019, 11:09 am

God I wish he was in our team.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 22 Mar 2019, 11:23 am

God bless AWJ.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

Is there a change.org petition to install AWJ the patron saint of Welsh rugby? I’d sign it, god bless that blessed guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 22 Mar 2019, 12:50 pm

Sir AWJ

?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:07 pm

In ten years time, we will have AWJ as PM and The Rock as POTUS and all the problems in the world will go away. You've read it here first.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:26 pm

RiscaGame wrote:In ten years time, we will have AWJ as PM and The Rock as POTUS and all the problems in the world will go away. You've read it here first.

If Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is POTUS could we bring back a Celebrity Death Match just for politicians. Meybe a Hell in a Cell format?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:31 pm

I think that's the plan.

So King Alun Wyn is out for the majority of the season now, thanks to the injury he sustained against Ireland. Just makes his super human efforts all the more noteworthy.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:God I wish he was in our team.

Then we could move all the locks to the back row.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:36 pm

Ha. Hogg. We're sorted for locks.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 22 Mar 2019, 1:50 pm

Gooseberry wrote:

Part of the problem with 7.5 being unable to quote people, sometimes you have to second guess which post he is replying to Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 22 Mar 2019, 3:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

Part of the problem with 7.5 being unable to quote people, sometimes you have to second guess which post he is replying to Very Happy

The one about Itoje being in our team Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed 27 Mar 2019, 3:14 pm

AWJ is demonstrating his true worth as a skipper. I am not sure that we would have achieved this with Warburton as Capt who, whilst he has his own definite strengths, does not have that enigmatic talisman quality AWJ brings. he now needs to be cryogenically frozen until RWC and then asked to do two more 6 Nations and then lead the 2021 Lions prior to retirement. However I think his sitting in the stand soaking in the post game atmosphere on his jack suggests he will go post RWC

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2019, 3:54 pm

Hard to say. Lost a parent relatively recently, didn't he? First 6Ns as 'proper' captain with Warburton still provisionally coming back when the 2018 tournament was played. And obviously he's just skippered his country to a GS at home - big achievement. All sorts of reasons he might stop and contemplate from the top of that 'mountain' so to speak.

Get the sense he's on his last legs, and this is his Indian Summer. There have been times since 2013 where he's looked out of it, only to then come flying back either mid-game or the game after. He obviously has his detractors but it's hard to say how match fitness/injuries affect his effectiveness, or whether it is time catching up with him. I thought he might have been done during the Lions tour two years ago but he's looking in much better shape this season (apart from the hairline...) so who knows?

Would make sense to retire after Japan but then when stay in Wales with the Ospreys? Surely take the big money abroad?

I can see him staying on for the 2020 6Ns and then calling time on Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 27 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm

I think it's going to go on Wales' performance at the WC.

If they get to the semi or the final or win it, Jones will retire having done all he can for his country.

If Wales get put out in the group or the Q/F I think he'll not want to go out on that and will limp on to look at retaining the 6Ns title.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2019, 5:11 pm

Yep, fair point - which is why I think a QF exit is most likely outcome and him staying on til end of season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 28 Mar 2019, 8:26 pm

I think one of the biggest compliments I can give him as an England fan is that I hate it whenever he's named in the Welsh team. You just know he will do superhuman things to drag his team over the finish line in front on the scoreboard and show ALL the leadership qualities of a top captain. This is something England lack and in spades. If we had a couple of leaders of AWJ's quality in the squad, it would likely have been a very different 6 nations for us. But we haven't.

Well played big man - and good luck in the RWC too.

There is a downside to him though. His combover is almost as distracting as Tomas Francis' mullet Laugh

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 28 Mar 2019, 8:50 pm

As an England fan all I can say is that id take him in a heart beat.

Him and Itoje at lock would be excellent, Itoje would just spend the whole game clapping, he'd be so happy.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 28 Mar 2019, 9:25 pm

AWJ and Itoje was a really good pairing for the Lions, with Lawes coming on to make some big hits in the 2nd half. Itoje was in some stellar form back then too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2