The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 12 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Sep 2019, 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 09 Dec 2019, 2:40 pm

It's potentially (if it happens) a big name signing, but probably not the most pressing position glasgow need to address. Feels like a signing for the fans, rather than for the team.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Dec 2019, 3:02 pm

The fans will take it, beleive me!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 09 Dec 2019, 3:11 pm

Oh no doubt, but it has the feel of a sticking plaster over the actual issue.

Don't get me wrong, great for the fans and he's a quality player, but it doesn't seem like an issue that needed to be prioritised

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Dec 2019, 5:21 pm

There is clearly a lot more to do to get Glasgow back up to the level we are at last season and previously., some new back three players would be very welcome for a start as after running teams ragged for many years, we now seem very blunt back there with Hoggy gone and Seymour and DTH starting to show their age.

Still I do think another decent (and Naka is better than decent) second row will help. The difference it made having Gray and Cummings on the pitch was huge and suddenly we were not getting pushed around and were winning 5m mauls to stop tries. They put a back bone into our team that we have not seen a lot of this season.

Trouble is that they are both likely to be off to play for Scotland again soon, I think there is a good case that they are our top pairing now and are both certainly going to be in the squad. Having a player like Naka to be available in the international windows would make an enormous difference to us.

There is also the option of playing Naka further back, with his ball skills there has always been an option of putting him into the back row as well.

With the change of coach coming up it would also give out the right message that Glasgow are still an ambitious club that are in the market for good players and that is important.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 09 Dec 2019, 7:37 pm

I see that Nick Abandonment-Issues is being touted as a short term signing at full-back. A class player and probably a better 15 than TS has been so far this season. Whistle

That would be a pragmatic signing and would allow Nairn and Tagive a little breathing space to get over injury and lack of game time.

Uncle Nak Naks is a no brainer. He is an excellent player and his return would really lift the club. we could field a back five of Jonny-Cummings, Jale -Naka-Matt F. Erm That could be interesting.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 09 Dec 2019, 8:20 pm

Jeez he's about 43 !

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 Dec 2019, 9:41 pm

Quite a few teams benefit from putting a lock at 6, especially one as good Nakarawa. Good signing for Glasgow if it goes through. Not sure where else would need a signature other than that. Cover or marquee's at hooker and 10 maybe? I've also noticed that they struggled against the likes of Sarries with Kebble and Cummings missing. Kebble looks like a really good player but seems injured quite often. If they could offload him and get an as good but less injured replacement...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 8:45 am

Glasgow's shopping list, in priority order:

- Big ball carrying back row
- A fullback
- Back up 10 to Hastings
- Electric winger

And the squad in general could do with better props and openside.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:15 am

RDW wrote:Glasgow's shopping list, in priority order:

- Big ball carrying back row
- A fullback
- Back up 10 to Hastings
- Electric winger

And the squad in general could do with better props and openside.

That's longer than my daughter's Santa list!!

The first one, a big back row carrier, is a must for me. If they did sign Naka he might well be an option at 8 for them.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:30 am

Naka at 8 would make almost as much sense as one of Jim's posts with the quote function abused.

Quick question before I arrive back in God's county. What is the best place to find a range of Scotland, Glasgow and Edinburgh clothing (training and leisure range)? Is it the Murrayfield shop itself? Or is there a better place in Edinburgh city centre?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:33 am

First XV at Haymarket is good but a small shop, so for the biggest selection Murrayfield shop is best.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:38 am

Excellent - thanks.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Dec 2019, 12:34 pm

George Carlin wrote:Naka at 8 would make almost as much sense as one of Jim's posts with the quote function abused.

Quick question before I arrive back in God's county. What is the best place to find a range of Scotland, Glasgow and Edinburgh clothing (training and leisure range)? Is it the Murrayfield shop itself? Or is there a better place in Edinburgh city centre?

I think I know what the Carlin family are getting for Christmas....

Naka at 8 is inspired. He plays above the ground....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Dec 2019, 12:36 pm

Darcy Rae could be in a bit of trouble here.

Has had an arrest warrant issued against him in Aberdeenshire for not turning up in court for a speeding offence.

Allegedly was doing 111mph on a rural B Road up there befind the wheel of a powerful Audi. Pleeaded not guilty then did not show for the hearing and his solicitor, who was there, could give no explanation.

All seems a bit odd and no doubt the SRU and Glasgow will take a pretty dim view if true!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Dec 2019, 12:50 pm

If true I can't imagine the SRU being lenient. Hogg has obviously led a pretty high profile campaign against that sort of behaviour so I would not imagine the SRU being kind. That he can't scrummage will make a harsh punishment less impactful to Glasgow, albeit an area of weakness.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm

BigGee wrote:Darcy Rae could be in a bit of trouble here.

Has had an arrest warrant issued against him in Aberdeenshire for not turning up in court for a speeding offence.

Allegedly was doing 111mph on a rural B Road up there befind the wheel of a powerful Audi. Pleeaded not guilty then did not show for the hearing and his solicitor, who was there, could give no explanation.

All seems a bit odd and no doubt the SRU and Glasgow will take a pretty dim view if true!

I really hope he has a good explanation - such a stupid thing to do.

The SRU for all their sins are actually pretty good at dealing with these things. They have had plenty practice sadly!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 1:16 pm

In the least surprising news of the year, Marfo has left Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Dec 2019, 1:20 pm

RDW wrote:In the least surprising news of the year, Marfo has left Edinburgh!

Did he not win a Scotland cap at one stage? Astonishing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 1:40 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW wrote:In the least surprising news of the year, Marfo has left Edinburgh!

Did he not win a Scotland cap at one stage? Astonishing.
Yes, and actually looked really comfortable at that level. He then injured his back very soon after and was out for a long time, and also seemed to contract an attitude problem.

The latter point is a shame as I remember him saying in interviews that he acknowledges he had AP in the past and that had held him back in his career. He said he was determined to not let it happen again after his Scotland caps.

That went well....!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Dec 2019, 1:51 pm

I remember him being handy at the breakdown (for a prop). Still, not much of a loss. We really need Sutherland to have a development leap. He looked promising initially, but seems to be a penalty and knock on magnet these days.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 10 Dec 2019, 3:01 pm

What a shame that Scotland’s only non white player has been let go. I can only speculate but I mean, 21 mins against Munster in 2018 was his last Pro14 involvement?? I think it’s embarrassing personally. I wish I knew what persuaded Cockerill to never play him but even if Marfo did have an attitude problem, surely giving a player a chance to play and improve is the way to help them combat that?!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 3:03 pm

bsando wrote:What a shame that Scotland’s only non white player has been let go. I can only speculate but I mean, 21 mins against Munster in 2018 was his last Pro14 involvement?? I think it’s embarrassing personally. I wish I knew what persuaded Cockerill to never play him but even if Marfo did have an attitude problem, surely giving a player a chance to play and improve is the way to help them combat that?!
And that was the game where we literally sent out the dregs of the squad and we got pumped

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 10 Dec 2019, 5:15 pm

bsando wrote:What a shame that Scotland’s only non white player has been let go. I can only speculate but I mean, 21 mins against Munster in 2018 was his last Pro14 involvement?? I think it’s embarrassing personally. I wish I knew what persuaded Cockerill to never play him but even if Marfo did have an attitude problem, surely giving a player a chance to play and improve is the way to help them combat that?!

He couldn't force his way onto Boroughmuir's bench, pre super6. If he's not deemed good enough for amatuer club rugby he wasn't going to get into the Edinburgh team. It's just the reality of the career he's chosen, and from various people at Edinburgh, he came back from the Scotland games full of himself thinking he'd made it, and didn't bother his arse in training. If he wasn't willing to put the effort in (which both Edinburgh and Boroughmuir folk have confirmed) then he wasn't going to play.

Rewarding him with gametime would seem massively counterproductive.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/glasgow-warriors-nakarawa-latest/

Still conflicting reports on where this is going with Glasgow above, sounding quite confident that he will sign. However reports from France are suggesting that he is flying in to Bayonne to sign there.

I guess it will play out soon enough.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:37 pm

Would be really bizarre of he signed for a French club!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 11 Dec 2019, 7:05 am

Bayonne is a lot warmer than Glasgow that's for sure

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 Dec 2019, 7:56 am

Kenny Murray seems confident they'll get their man, although strangely he says he might not join up with Glasgow until late in the season. What's he doing with himself in the meantime??

Sounds like Ryan Wilson has been a key player given his relationship with nakarawa - turns out he does have uses after all!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 11 Dec 2019, 8:13 am

RDW wrote:Kenny Murray seems confident they'll get their man, although strangely he says he might not join up with Glasgow until late in the season. What's he doing with himself in the meantime??

Sounds like Ryan Wilson has been a key player given his relationship with nakarawa - turns out he does have uses after all!

Get him in the Scotland team! Chief Fijian negotiator.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 11 Dec 2019, 11:17 am

RDW wrote:Kenny Murray seems confident they'll get their man, although strangely he says he might not join up with Glasgow until late in the season. What's he doing with himself in the meantime??

Sounds like Ryan Wilson has been a key player given his relationship with nakarawa
- turns out he does have uses after all!

They're all coming out of the closet lately. Laugh
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:33 pm

Hey, if that's what it takes to get Big Naknaks back. Whistle
batman can take one for the team. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:36 pm

[quote="George Carlin"]Naka at 8 would make almost as much sense as one of Jim's posts with the quote function abused.

quote]

Once Brexit is done Jimbo's posts will make as much sense as the rest of my governments economic and social policies.

At least that's what I think he would say if you asked him. warning

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 11 Dec 2019, 6:59 pm

jimbopip wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Naka at 8 would make almost as much sense as one of Jim's posts with the quote function abused.

quote]

Once Brexit is done Jimbo's posts will make as much sense as the rest of my governments economic and social policies.

At least that's what I think he would say if you asked him. warning

Touché sure. Touché.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:05 pm

It is becomming a right old see saw this one, latest reports from France are now saying that Naka has turned down Bayonne and is coming home to Glasgow!

I wish they would just put us out of our misery!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:48 pm

latest latest is that it's just for 6 months in a short term deal, before he moves on to somewhere else.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:50 pm

Has there been any chat about why he's actually left Racing? I just assumed he wanted to be closer to family given he was out in Fiji, but if Bayonne was an option....

That's like going from Liverpool to Crystal Palace, to use a football analogy.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:55 pm

He was sacked

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm

He 'allegedy'* didn't return from the WC when he was supposed to, instead staying on in Fiji to build a house.  Racing didn't take kindly and gave him the heave.

So it wasn't really his choice to leave Racing. Unless this was some masterplan to force them to get rid of him

*I say allegedly as his agent/he claims he was given dispensation to the time off.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:He was sacked
I know that, but that's because he hadn't returned from the world cup having stayed in Fiji. Most people assumed it's because he wanted to be closer to home, but the fact that he's still looking for deals in France implies he had other issues with Racing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 12 Dec 2019, 1:05 pm

RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:He was sacked
I know that, but that's because he hadn't returned from the world cup having stayed in Fiji. Most people assumed it's because he wanted to be closer to home, but the fact that he's still looking for deals in France implies he had other issues with Racing.

There might be underlying issues with him and Racing, I've not seen anyone suggest it'e because he wanted to be closer to home (not saying folk haven't, I just haven't seen it). All I've heard is that he was given dispensation from the club to stay on in Fiji for a bit to rest and build this house. Now that's coming from his agent, so could be Love sacks, and if it was provable then I would assume Naka and his agent would be taking Racing to court.

Perhaps it just wasn't a good fit and Naka missed the casual muggings, buckfast and salt and vinegar on chips nonsense of Glasgow

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 12 Dec 2019, 3:20 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:

Perhaps it just wasn't a good fit and Naka missed the casual muggings, buckfast and salt and vinegar on chips nonsense of Glasgow

And what's not to like, a bit of gritty realism in life, who wants to live on a shortbread tin box lid?

Anyway the latest rumours are saying that he was seen flying off back to Fiji this afternoon. He clearly wants to get his house finnished in time for xmas and have the family round for a big lunch!

Then it is back to Glasgow for a contract until the end of the season, after that the big boys with deep pockets, Bath, Quins and Touon are circling!

Anyway, still all speculation and nothing official yet. I would take him for 6 months if that is what is on offer, we will be light during the 6N and that could be the difference between the playoffs or not for us. If he comes and settles in again, who knows, he may decide to stay for longer.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Dec 2019, 3:21 pm

Given that he's not played since the WC and can't imagine he's been doing much professional conditioning, is he going to be in any fit shape without needing to basically go through a pre-season?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 12 Dec 2019, 4:45 pm

RDW wrote:Given that he's not played since the WC and can't imagine he's been doing much professional conditioning, is he going to be in any fit shape without needing to basically go through a pre-season?

To be honest, we should not really be needing him straight away even if he was to come over on the 1st January, it is more during the 6N period and onwards that we are going to be getting a bit light in our pack again.

I would also be very surprised if he was not doing some kind of conditioning regime to keep him ticking over in the meantime, even if he is just working as the hod carrier for the guys building his house!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 12 Dec 2019, 6:27 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/leone-nakarawa-re-signs-for-glasgow-warriors-for-rest-of-season/

Well The Offside Line are confident enough to put it out there, so I guess that means it is happening.

Hope he does not eat to much over the festive period!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 12 Dec 2019, 7:36 pm

And the BBC now. What a crazy turn of events. Just goes to show the spirit and camaraderie at Glasgow must be exceptional to bring back 3 ex stars over a couple of years time. I just hope he can get up to speed and fitness and make a real difference. It would be surreal if Glasgow kicked on and won the Pro14 title again with DTH, Matawalu and Nakarawa. What a story that would be!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 13 Dec 2019, 1:35 am

bsando wrote:And the BBC now. What a crazy turn of events. Just goes to show the spirit and camaraderie at Glasgow must be exceptional to bring back 3 ex stars over a couple of years time. I just hope he can get up to speed and fitness and make a real difference. It would be surreal if Glasgow kicked on and won the Pro14 title again with DTH, Matawalu and Nakarawa. What a story that would be!

They’d make a film out if that.

Better than the one about japan getting knocked out of a World Cup by a pish poor Scotland side with the boy that played jango fett in star wars playing Eddie Jones.

We could have Ryan Reynolds playing DTH and Lenny Henry as Naka
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 13 Dec 2019, 9:48 am

bsando wrote:And the BBC now. What a crazy turn of events. Just goes to show the spirit and camaraderie at Glasgow must be exceptional to bring back 3 ex stars over a couple of years time. I just hope he can get up to speed and fitness and make a real difference. It would be surreal if Glasgow kicked on and won the Pro14 title again with DTH, Matawalu and Nakarawa. What a story that would be!

They’d make a film out if that.

Better than the one about japan getting knocked out of a World Cup by a pish poor Scotland side with the boy that played jango fett in star wars playing Eddie Jones.

We could have Ryan Reynolds playing DTH and Lenny Henry as Naka
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 13 Dec 2019, 12:52 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50764943

Sounds like less of a done deal than some have made out.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 15 Dec 2019, 11:57 pm

To be blunt, Glasgow would be better without him. They aren’t too bad at 2nd row even with Gray regressing as he gets older. Cummings seems to be stepping up to No 1 lock.

What Glasgow really need is a loosehead than can play 2 games in a row, a ball carrier in the back row, a back up 10, a new winger and a solution at 15.

Part of their problem could have been solved if they simply gave Edinburgh wee George in place of Bradbury or Ritchie.

They are sorely lacking leaders, especially in the pack and Bradbury could really have thrived in the Glasgow pack and could be a ready made captain for them.

That’s assuming he’d be happy playing in that “pack”
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Dec 2019, 8:13 am

With Jamie Dobie coming up fast on the rails and both Price and Hornito going to be demanding top dollar on their next contracts, we are going to have to lose a SH at some point in the future.

A bit of swapping around may not be such a bad idea, it would certainly be good for Scotland. Both Price and Horne are good enough to be starting regularly.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 16 Dec 2019, 8:32 am

Yup, it'll be Frisby I suspect (or hope). He's acheived the square root of f all when he's started for Glasgow. Also probably quite expensive. Thank god his contract ends soon.

It seems to be more difficult to break into a squad as a scrum half, I'd be happy if they hung around glasgow from a Scotland perspective. Rather that than another case of SHC. I think Horne Jr would fare better at another club than Price because he's got more to him but I hope it's just Frisby leaving tbh. If Price ends up moving in future, I'd rather see him go to Edinburgh where he'd definitely be used.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next