The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+21
TM2K
EmmDee57
JDizzle
Beer
incontinentia
LadyPutt
Davie
dynamark
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
JAS
pedro
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
Plunky
super_realist
beninho
McLaren
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 3 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2019, 9:37 am

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 3 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 04 Oct 2019, 6:44 am

First off today in a two ball friendly. Round in 2 hours 30 mins. 36 stableford points. Hope my form keeps up for Monday's qualifier.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 3 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 04 Oct 2019, 7:30 am

Careful INW - Super got roasted for a 2:20 2 ball...

Hope Monday goes well.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 07 Oct 2019, 11:23 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:Hope Monday goes well.
Thanks Roller, but it didn't. Only 30 points.But I think I still top the list of the Old Codgers best 6 qualifying rounds. Improved by 1 point. Lead by 1 point.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 Oct 2019, 7:03 am

Thomas Cook was pretty much the chav airline. More for the all inclusive types and not your sophisticated travellers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2019, 7:52 am

McLaren wrote:Thomas Cook was pretty much the chav airline. More for the all inclusive types and not your sophisticated travellers.

Oh the irony of typing that on the bus :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Oct 2019, 7:58 am

McLaren wrote:Thomas Cook was pretty much the chav airline. More for the all inclusive types and not your sophisticated travellers.

What would you know about sophistication Mac? You buy your clubs and balls from jumble sales, you live in a tenement, you ride a bus, you play at a muni, you've got a crap job. Need I go on?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:23 am

What do you mean anyway Mac, are you talking about the kind of people that book their flights and car hire separately and go for a private villa like mine and spend their week driving around exploring local culture?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:36 am

Jas

Yes, if you arrived via Thomas Cook. But at least you are aiming to be upwardly mobile on the class ladder.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:02 am

McLaren wrote:Jas

Yes, if you arrived via Thomas Cook. But at least you are aiming to be upwardly mobile on the class ladder.

Funny you should say that as my October half term guests had booked their flights via Thomas Cook so they won’t be arriving at all now. Alternative flight prices were through the roof, but never mind the TC executives still got their bonus eh?

Also I have no desire to keep it long term, it’s a bit of a millstone and a drain to be fair

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:04 am

Are you trying to tell us that if you take a package holiday then you are a chav? I don't believe you've never been on a package holiday.
I thought you were a class warrior who didn't distinguish between chav and any other class?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 08 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm

This is the only class ladder mac will ever climb.
Tell us about your game today... - Page 3 F067b210

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 09 Oct 2019, 3:59 am

super_realist wrote:Are you trying to tell us that if you take a package holiday then you are a chav? I don't believe you've never been on a package holiday.
I thought you were a class warrior who didn't distinguish between chav and any other class?

Given the posting persona I’d suggest holidays involve hiking/cycling, tent on back to a field somewhere outside North Berwick.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 09 Oct 2019, 6:01 am

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:Are you trying to tell us that if you take a package holiday then you are a chav? I don't believe you've never been on a package holiday.

Given the posting persona I’d suggest holidays involve hiking/cycling, tent on back to a field somewhere outside North Berwick.

I thought it might be a charabanc to Blackpool for donkey rides, 60 woodbines a day on a deckchair in rolled up trousers and nightly promenades for the wonderful illuminations.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Oct 2019, 7:56 am

JAS wrote:

That's weird because I wouldn't camp or hike if you paid me never mind go on holiday to do it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Oct 2019, 8:15 am

Where was your last holiday to Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:57 am

Sweden.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:28 am

McLaren wrote:Sweden.

Pop over to see the revolting Greta?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:13 am

super_realist wrote:

I thought she was Norwegian?

Whereabouts Mac?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 Oct 2019, 1:11 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I thought she was Norwegian?

Whereabouts Mac?

Nah, Norwegians are less smug than the Swedes.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 10 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm

It’ll be an interesting learning experience for mac to see how the self-proclaimed epicentre of humanism has turned into a crime infested ratnest. Try Malmo or the Stockholm suburbs.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 10 Oct 2019, 2:10 pm

Btw, is Greta back in Sweden? We didn’t hear how she came back.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm

pedro wrote:Btw, is Greta back in Sweden? We didn’t hear how she came back.

She flew back in an Sr71, afterburners all the way.

I went to Stockholm and just outside it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Oct 2019, 2:49 am

pedro wrote:Btw, is Greta back in Sweden? We didn’t hear how she came back.

Hilariously they flew a crew over to sail the boat made from oil products back to where it sailed from and flew back her parents too. Rank hypocrisy of the highest order.

I think she's still scowling,  talking nonsense and being a spoiled brat in South America somewhere, presumably she went from New York to South America on the back of a donkey.

Apparently she's been nominated for a Nobel Prize. Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Oct 2019, 5:15 am

If Greta was a hypocrite would it make the argument that co2 levels need reduced invalid?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 11 Oct 2019, 5:25 am

Luckily she's Swedish. I think that saved the world from seeing her getting the Nobel Peace Prize.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Oct 2019, 5:42 am

McLaren wrote:If Greta was a hypocrite would it make the argument that co2 levels need reduced invalid?

She IS a hypocrite Mac, and if you'd ever followed the discussion about planks like Greta and the extinction rebellion rent a mob of ne'er do wells it is the inconsistency in their argument, selective targets, hypocrisy, absurdly unattainable demands and baseless alarmist claims about an impending end to the world and preposterous assertions that they come out with.
This is separate from the claims that we should reduce our carbon dioxide output, which is obvious.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Oct 2019, 7:08 am

Super

Do you favor bigger co2 emissions reductions now and lower co2 removal in the future or limited co2 emissions reductions now and massive co2 removal in the future?

Because all Greta is arguing for is the first option above.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Oct 2019, 7:50 am

That is not all she is arguing for at all.
A massive reduction of CO2 in the near future is simply not attainable. The demand for energy is growing at a massive rate and shows no sign of stopping, coincidently the level of renewable energy in terms of a % of energy produced has remained pretty stable in the UK.
Morons like Greta need to accept that the transition to a low CO2 climate/environment/economy is going to be slow and gradual.

Her shrieking, scowling, self indulgent speeches with calamitous language and poorly inforned and selective rhetoric do not help her argument.
She's made her point, now can she please piss off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 11 Oct 2019, 7:59 am

My game today was quite good too.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Oct 2019, 9:14 am

How much "winter" golf do you people play? I always think about keeping things going after the summer season but already I haven't touched a club since the end of September.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2019, 9:33 am

Depends on the weather Mac, had plenty winter seasons where 10 weeks in a row were off due to frost, (St Andrews are over cautious) but then again have had sleeveless days in February.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 17 Oct 2019, 10:24 am

McLaren wrote:How much "winter" golf do you people play? I always think about keeping things going after the summer season but already I haven't touched a club since the end of September.

I stop playing medals when the white Tees come in (next week) I make 2 exceptions (Captains end of year invitational and the Turkey shoot), no more until the Captains Farewell Cup in late March, I’ll play bounce rounds and maybe the odd outing but there’s a much higher focus on range work over the winter.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 17 Oct 2019, 10:32 am

The Seniors at my club still play competitions every Monday. There is a schedule there till Xmas, but with only 2 qualifying stablefords left in the season. All other Monday comps are team games. Weather permitting I will try and play 2 other times in the week, as per summer. Greenstaff have this week put in rope fences to "guide" us around the course to protect it as much as possible. Like sticking to cart paths on other courses.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 23 Oct 2019, 3:44 am

Winter league pairs matchplay - if it's open it's on.

Not a huge amount of use, but keeps you ticking over.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 23 Oct 2019, 4:00 am

Just back from Belek, Turkey.

I was Poopie.

Played Carya (twice), National, Sultan and Montgomerie. All were really nice but with the exception of the Montgomerie all the greens were really slow (Monty were medium). I think the Sultan could be my favourite course - although it had ball stealing jackdaws all over the place.

Weather was mostly great for golf, 24 - 28c light breeze. Set up of the place is fantastic, no courses further than about 20 minutes away from the hotels. Excellent golf break fodder, all in all better than the trips I'd previously done to Spain, Portugal or Majorca - just further away.

Iron play was cataclysmically bad. Fat, thin, pull, push, you name it. All the rest was sketchy or passable, with a few world class efforts extricating myself from cr@p I'd put myself in.

Recommend it if you haven't been.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 28 Oct 2019, 6:53 pm

I won the Division 1 Senior Stableford competition today. (Div 1 for us is up to 21.4 handicap). 39 points, no blobs. £25 in the kitty plus £5.60 for a birdie 2. I’m now 6 points clear in the Old Codgers Trophy - best 6 Qualifying scores over the year. Nearest opponent needs to score 38 points plus whatever I score over 34 points to tie. 1 more Comp to go. Handicap reduction 1.2 takes me down 2 strokes.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Tue 29 Oct 2019, 5:58 pm

Sounds nice Roller, well done INW nearly home and dry!

So I've bitten the bullet and signed up with a swing coach, first task is to shorten my swing. I'm going past parallel at the top and it's causing inconsistencies. Working on winding the shoulders against my right side. Already seeing a difference, but it feels like I'm just punching it with a quarter swing.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Oct 2019, 4:01 am

Lessons make a massive difference if you find a good teacher and go regularly and if they aren't filling your head with too much nonsense at a time.

I've found that my good shots are a lot more accurate and consistent, but crucially, my bad shots are less harmful.

GIR which was my achilles heel has gone right up, which means more birdie putts. Taken a long time, but worth the effort.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 07 Nov 2019, 4:30 am

So lesson 2 last night of project 'single figures'. I've managed to get to the range a couple of times since my first lesson and work on the initial tasks. Very much alignment and setup. That's worked big time in simplifying everything for me. My swing has become naturally shorter and more controlled and I'm hitting it well. Worked on ball position last night as I had a tendency to have it too far forward which meant I had to rely on my hips moving forward so I could hit it from the inside. So I'm working on moving the ball closer to center especially for utility/3 wood. So working on ingraining all that on the range for the moment and will then try bring it to the course. I haven't entered the winter league this year as I would not want to inflict my learning process on a partner  Laugh Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 18 Nov 2019, 7:17 am

Be_the_ball wrote:Sounds nice Roller, well done INW nearly home and dry!
Well now I AM home and dry. The last qualifying competition was today, and had to be cancelled because some of the holes on the front 9 of my course were too wet to play. Committee apparently don't reschedule so I am officially "The Old Codger" for 2019. Best 6 stableford scores 34, 35, 36, 37, 39, 39. Won by 6 points. Unfortunately, this doesn't get me on a winners board in the clubhouse. Try for that next season. We played a 9 hole comp today and I had a good half round of 20 points.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 18 Nov 2019, 4:44 pm

Great stuff INW, well done!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Nov 2019, 6:58 am

Squeezed my last game of the year in last Sunday. 85 and 39 points off 18. Was my first game since the Troon monsoon in august. A couple of good rounds in the past year with an 83. And a trip to Turnberry so not a bad year even though it waz only 9 or 10 rounds.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Nov 2019, 7:19 am

Ben

There is plenty time to play again this year.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Nov 2019, 7:47 am

Well tge 2 guys I play with have no free weekends, and then I have kids to deal with and my mum has liver cancer, so unfortunately life fets in the way of golf. And its cold and wet!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:02 am

Use contraception.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:53 am

Mate, I've two kids, I don't even have sex.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 25 Nov 2019, 6:26 am

beninho wrote:Well tge 2 guys I play with have no free weekends, and then I have kids to deal with and my mum has liver cancer, so unfortunately life fets in the way of golf. And its cold and wet!

Tough times then Ben, sorry to hear. Hard to concentrate on anything in those circumstances. If it helps take your mind off things for a few hours then sometimes it’s good to get out.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 01 Dec 2019, 5:52 am

Super

I saw some photos of people playing TOC in reverse yesterday, did you play in the event?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 01 Dec 2019, 6:16 am

McLaren wrote:Super

I saw some photos of people playing TOC in reverse yesterday, did you play in the event?

It was a competition Mac, only one space available for my club. It was also run on Friday as a free for all, but curiously the majority of those who got in through the ballot had connections to the Links Trust. Transparent as ever Rolling Eyes

During a summer evening we got held up at one point and played about 6 holes in reverse. It really is a much better course if you play it in the reverse to the current direction.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 31 Dec 2019, 7:27 am

Got emailed my golfshake stats for the year. 9 rounds average score 92.56. Handicap now 18. Par 5 ave 6.6 so thats an issue. 39% fairways 20% greens.

Hopefully I can squeeze some more games in next year. So if anyone isnt far of nw london let me know!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next