Tell us about your game today...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by I'm never wrong on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am

First game in ages due to weather. So I wasn't used to it. It was "carry only" so that was new (for me since I rejoined the club last May). The rough was very muddy (which is where I play from). And I carried a full set. But I had an enjoyable game with "my group". If conditions are the same Monday I will thin my bag out and lose a few items.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by JAS on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:02 am

Is the weather having an effect on this thread? Or is winter golf something to be endured and not discussed? Had my first outing on the course in 2 months on Sat. Was what we call the 4nations (don’t ask why it’s not 6, I have no idea) 4bbb matchplay and it’s all about holes won, we got spanked 8-3. I was around handicap/buffer but our opponents were -5 gross (off 7&9) one of the best examples of dovetailing I’ve seen.

Was good to get out and now looking forward to the first trip of the year, team open at Royal Porthcawl a week on Tues, making a good couple of days of it by travelling down to play Tenby on the Monday.

Will be interesting to see how the season unfolds. Probably the lightest winter I’ve had in terms of range time, no lessons since Oct either so very different from previous seasons where I’ve hammered the range and been coached regularly then spent the first half of the season tearing my hair out.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am

JAS wrote:Is the weather having an effect on this thread?
Yes. I usually play 3 times a week. Probably played only a couple of dozen rounds from December. Part of my course is susceptible to remaining wet/soggy so the front 9 is often closed. rain again last night, so closed today, and likely again tomorrow. More rain expected over the weekend, so not looking good for the start of next week.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 am

I'm never wrong wrote:
JAS wrote:Is the weather having an effect on this thread?
Yes. I usually play 3 times a week. Probably played only a couple of dozen rounds from December. Part of my course is susceptible to remaining wet/soggy so the front 9 is often closed. rain again last night, so closed today, and likely again tomorrow. More rain expected over the weekend, so not looking good for the start of next week.

Ours is quite susceptible as well INW, although not as bad as it used to be as a fair bit of drainage work has been done. Quite fortunate where I am really as I don’t have to travel that far for some decent links courses that are obviously much more resilient to wetter weather, after the Porthcawl trip we’ve got Saunton a couple of weeks later. Those are good options as well if the weather turns to snowy or frosty (just wonder if we’re actually going to get a decent cold snap here before the end of winter).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm

As I said somewhere earlier on in this thread I was going to try and play more winter golf this winter, and I have actually played a fair bit. Probably managed about 10 rounds since October. But I have found scoring almost impossible. The short game is a mess and I have been unable to do much better than +5 or so most rounds. I had one +1 round when I felt more in the swing of things and warmed up after playing the day before, but on the whole it has been a horror show of duffed chips and 3 putts.

I have had days where I know my swing should be producing a decent score because the ball striking is good but I just can't score in winter conditions. 36 putts/round has been about the norm.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum