The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

+43
LeinsterFan4life
Hazel Sapling
Ozzy3213
chris_501
Maddogflanker
Welshmushroom
Irish Londoner
Cumbrian
maestegmafia
carpet baboon
whocares
Collapse2005
stnick88
bsando
Gooseberry
sensisball
tigertattie
RiscaGame
Sgt_Pooly
bathmad
TightHEAD
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
yappysnap
Welly
Rugby Fan
Rinsure
bluestonevedder
Bathite
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
propdavid_london
George Carlin
BamBam
Fluxy
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
SirBurger
Geordie
king_carlos
47 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 12 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not a great position for Saints, captain and international level hooker looks likely so they've resorted to signing what is at best squad filler. Presumably Haywood and Fish will carry the bulk of the playing time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 12 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by king_carlos Sun 02 Feb 2020, 2:54 am

Tigers are in talks with Ross Moriarty apparently. He's had offers from Exeter, Saints, Bristol and a handful of Top 14 clubs.

He's a fantastic number 8 but his wage at Dragons is rumoured to be gigantic currently given he signed outwith the NDC system for Dragons to meet his wage demands. I'd wonder if many clubs outside France will be able to meet what he's currently on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 12 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 02 Feb 2020, 8:49 am

king_carlos wrote:Tigers are in talks with Ross Moriarty apparently. He's had offers from Exeter, Saints, Bristol and a handful of Top 14 clubs.

He's a fantastic number 8 but his wage at Dragons is rumoured to be gigantic currently given he signed outwith the NDC system for Dragons to meet his wage demands. I'd wonder if many clubs outside France will be able to meet what he's currently on.

Well he'd take up the purchased marquee player spot which I presume is currently Lavanini or Taufua neither of which are thought to be on particularly large contracts. We signed Kalamafoni at a time we were desperate for an 8 so if his contract weren't to be renewed that would free up space for one of L & T to come under the cap and Moriarty to join as the marquee.

Moriarty is good at the physical stuff, mobile and has cut out the majority of the brain farts from his early career where he'd concede penalties regularly. However, he'll miss a third of every season. I was assuming given McGinty has a history of connections with the Islands we'd be looking that way again, particularly after the success of signing Taufua. Even with repeated the raid on the Bulls from last summer and managed to get van Staden. We'd get more value for money.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 02 Feb 2020, 12:19 pm

Scarlets now emerging as favourites to sign Tompkins.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 02 Feb 2020, 1:39 pm

Singleton
Alemanno
Moriarty
Henry
Nadolo

A lot of cap in that

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 02 Feb 2020, 1:52 pm

Welly wrote:
Singleton
Alemanno
Moriarty
Henry
Nadolo

A lot of cap in that

My thoughts exactly.

Youngs, Polota-Nau, Spencer ---> Singleton, Alemanno, Moriarty (If that makes sense then Youngs and TPN are being overpaid by even more than previously thought)

McPhillips ---> Henry (Should make sense)

Thompstone, Thomas ---> Nadolo (The dream breaks down...)

If Cortes goes and is replaced by Dimen as squad cover that might represent a slight saving.

Then there's Ford and Genge re-signing to fit into the equation. Ford will be first marquee next season but that means Manu goes into the cap. Ford is rumoured to be on £450k currently, Manu on circa £550k. So that's an extra £100k in the cap. Lenny and May have apparently been offered lower contracts to eat some of the Genge and Ford increases.

I'm over the moon that the rumours suggest Tigers are looking at the right areas. First XV quality hooker, lock, number 8 and wing. Either the rumours are hugely optimistic though or Tigers are currently overpaying for certain players even more than most fans have assumed.

Last edited by king_carlos on Sun 02 Feb 2020, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 02 Feb 2020, 1:58 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but rumours that Aaron Hinkley has signed with Exeter.

That would make sense for both parties. Chiefs were after Moriarty but have seemingly spent that cash on Jonny Gray instead. With Kvesic rumoured to Bristol, Chiefs will need a versatile back rower and Hinkley is very talented. Sounds like another shrewd signing by Baxter. Put Hinkley in their systems and he will improve rapidly given the potential there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 02 Feb 2020, 2:56 pm

Hinckley looked a star for the future when he played age grade. It's not happened for him at Glaws but Chiefs could take him too the next level like they did with Kvesic. Chiefs have got an aging backrow so some additional fresh blood is a good idea and Hinckley won't be costly.

For Tigers I think the Crossdale rumour is more likely than Naldolo sadly. Crossdale fits the profile of previous recruits like SAR, former age grade star that hasn't stepped up yet because of injury and so is an inexpensive punt that could pay big dividends. If Naldolo is coming I'd assume May is heading out.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 02 Feb 2020, 5:33 pm

Nadolo more likely than Crossdale currently.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 02 Feb 2020, 5:50 pm

Welly wrote: Nadolo more likely than Crossdale currently.

Big upside to Nadolo is offering power in the backs when Manu isn't available. It will cost a lot though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 02 Feb 2020, 6:25 pm

king_carlos wrote:

Big upside to Nadolo is offering power in the backs when Manu isn't available. It will cost a lot though!

Isn't that what Jaco Taute's for?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 02 Feb 2020, 6:34 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Taute hardly offers what Manu does though. If he stays fit he will offer plenty at centre but he wont break tackles with regularity. In a back line with few powerful ball carriers Nadolo would add plenty that Tigers are missing.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 02 Feb 2020, 6:39 pm

king_carlos wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Taute hardly offers what Manu does though. If he stays fit he will offer plenty at centre but he wont break tackles with regularity. In a back line with few powerful ball carriers Nadolo would add plenty that Tigers are missing.

Undeniably but Naldolo would add a lot to virtually every backline. I've long held the belief that a PI utility back would be a very handy addition but they are tough to get hold of these days. Oh for a Seru Rabeni.

I'd imagine they'd be a massive queue of Naldolo was heading off as he's an absolute beast.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 02 Feb 2020, 9:13 pm

How much are the English clubs offering Moriarty? It would probably have to be 500K to lure him away, or maybe the same as what he is on now. He would be available all year. I imagine if he stays put then his wages will go down to 300K, which he can top up with international appearances for Wales and the Lions, whilst enjoying the international career with a good group of guys.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 03 Feb 2020, 4:24 am

I wouldn't put Moriarty in the 500k player bracket (not to say he's not getting that at Dragons now), so if that's his required wage, I can't see many Prem clubs being in for him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Feb 2020, 9:33 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I wouldn't put Moriarty in the 500k player bracket (not to say he's not getting that at Dragons now), so if that's his required wage, I can't see many Prem clubs being in for him.

I doubt Tigers could afford to offer him that. We just aren't in a position where that is likely. He could be the external marquee player but even so we are still a business and with Ford also a marquee player we'd be paying over a million on the two marquee players on top of the normal cap. I'm not sure we have the turnover to do that whilst outside the premier European competition.

I assume he's had a meeting with us and we've offered him closer to the £300/£350k mark and his agent is making sure that is known to try and negotiate up a deal with the WRU/Dragons. That or Tigers are using the rumour to try and get a deal done over the line for somebody else. You get a lot of games being played at this time of year.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 03 Feb 2020, 9:54 am

I don't see nadolo being worth as much as you're making him out to be like Sam.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 03 Feb 2020, 10:01 am

Robshaw is leaving Quins after 16yrs....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51355515

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 03 Feb 2020, 10:02 am

Robshaw announces that he is leaving Quins at the end of the season, whilst not giving any indication of retirement.

Is he off somewhere else?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 03 Feb 2020, 10:43 am

BigGee wrote:Robshaw announces that he is leaving Quins at the end of the season, whilst not giving any indication of retirement.

Is he off somewhere else?

Probably. Quins would have been unwilling to offer him a contract at the same level of the expiring one - so rather than take a reduced sum, Robshaw is putting himself rather publicly on the market. We shall see if anyone bites.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 03 Feb 2020, 10:55 am

Rumour is New York are interested in him....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 03 Feb 2020, 11:02 am

Kriel has left Gloucester with immediate effect and signed for Lions.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Feb 2020, 11:18 am

Welly wrote: I don't see nadolo being worth as much as you're making him out to be like Sam.

Well he is getting on a bit. When you have someone of that size you know the opposition defence will be looking at him all the time giving you space elsewhere. Not to mention he's got a good boot and loves a crossfield kick aimed at him. There's not that many big winners left in the league at the minute and those there are, are being effective.

With Robshaw, Quins need to offload or lessen the burden from the likes of Brown and Robshaw. Sure they are club legends but they are on seriously large contracts from their glory days and the rest of the Quins squad needs strengthening. Quins have already lost Sinckler because Bristol outbid them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 03 Feb 2020, 12:19 pm

The thing is no one else in the Premiership are looking for pricey wingers. ( May is having the same problem in this aspect).
And with Nadolo being the wrong side of 30 the French clubs are not too keen to use one of their Jiff spots on him.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Feb 2020, 1:30 pm

I think a lot of the Prem are looking for pacey wingers, they just don't want to pay big money for them which is what is hampering May. Naldolo at 20 odd stone doesn't need masses of pace so being the wrong side of 30 isn't the end of the world. In France I suspect using the exception spots for wingers might not be that popular, it's an attritional league and they'll want those spots on forwards mostly.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 03 Feb 2020, 1:57 pm

If there were many Prem clubs looking a rapid wingers then I reckon they would have taken a punt on Adam Radwan before he re-signed with Falcons.

Radwan and Rees-Zammit next year might be the quickest wings the Premiership has seen? Certainly must be up there with guys like Varndell and May.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm

Well known Italian Callum Braley to Benetton at the end of the season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51398927

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm

lostinwales wrote:Well known Italian Callum Braley to Benetton at the end of the season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51398927

Good move for both parties, he gets the game time he needs to develop and Italy and Benetton get preferential access to a good SH going forward.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Feb 2020, 3:32 pm

I think Braley has improved his game significantly since international exposure. A good example of the higher standard of opposition exposing a players weaknesses and forcing them to improve in a short space of time. Mike Catt is meant to be at his best working with individual players on key skills so perhaps he had a good impact there.

It's a good move for both player and club.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 07 Feb 2020, 2:38 pm

Rumours that Peceli Yato (Clermont) and Rynhardt Elstadt (Toulouse) might be moving on with the Top 14 tightening up quotas for non-FQP players in matchday squads.

Elstadt would be top signing for most European clubs. He's just below Bok selection but is a class act at lock and flanker.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Feb 2020, 4:29 pm

If Yato is hitting the market a lot of clubs will be interested. Personally I'd take him in a heartbeat for Tigers but I'm guessing we won't have the funds to make that happen. With the rules changing for French clubs I guess there'll be a few players available that otherwise wouldn't have left France.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 07 Feb 2020, 4:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:If Yato is hitting the market a lot of clubs will be interested. Personally I'd take him in a heartbeat for Tigers but I'm guessing we won't have the funds to make that happen. With the rules changing for French clubs I guess there'll be a few players available that otherwise wouldn't have left France.

If Tigers can compete with what Moriarty is wanting then they could compete for Yato.

If Yato does move on he will sign for another Top 14 club who more urgently need back rowers I think. Even by Top 14 standards Clermont currently have a lot of non-FQP players in their squad.

As a completely irrelevant side note, I can't believe that Isaia Toeava is still playing at Clermont. He was good enough in 2007 to be a well ranked player in EA Sports Rugby 08. Sure the likes of Brown, Care and Robshaw were on Rugby 08 but they had a rating of about 60/100. Danny Care had a speed and acceleration stats of about 62 because the programmers didn't know who he was. Toeava was a good player in Rugby 08. That game had Jonah Lomu and Oz du Randt in it. Stuart Abbot was one of the top defenders in the game. I read Toeava's name in their squad list and thought he was a time traveler. I accept I've got off topic.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Feb 2020, 5:42 pm

Toeava did have a spell in Japan which may well have helped lengthen his playing career. Clermont do like a powerful and very SH looking backline. I wonder if NZ would like to get George Moala back and eligible for the national team again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 09 Feb 2020, 4:30 pm

Toulouse has given Ben Youngs an alternative to a Tigers pay cut. Could mean an overall pay cut though with no England appearance fees.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 10 Feb 2020, 8:49 am

Would that be for next season sam? That would make Jones HAVE to look at new scrum halves.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:38 am

Yep it would. Can't see it happening though. Benny doesn't seem the bilingual type and is very close to his family.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:20 am

Lenny probably thinks being bilingual means liking both men and women Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:22 am

Seen suggestions that Quins are in discussions with Pieter-Steph du Toit. Would highlight again a major issue with the cap mechanism if they are unable to keep Sinckler due to the cap yet could bring in du Toit.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:33 am

LondonTiger wrote:Lenny probably thinks being bilingual means liking both men and women Run

I too remember the old "Things that Ben said" Twitter account. Very funny.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 10 Feb 2020, 1:53 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Seen suggestions that Quins are in discussions with Pieter-Steph du Toit. Would highlight again a major issue with the cap mechanism if they are unable to keep Sinckler due to the cap yet could bring in du Toit.
Presumably a Pieter SdT could be a marquee player and not count towards the cap.
Sinks being English qualified cant be signed as a marquee!
Correct me if I am wrong, you have to be a foreign player and been internationally capped (not by England) to qualify. Or, have the rules changed?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm

Two marquee spots - one for players new to the league and one that can be used on existing players at the club. Just feels wrong that Quins were unable to match Bristols offer.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Feb 2020, 6:26 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Two marquee spots - one for players new to the league and one that can be used on existing players at the club. Just feels wrong that Quins were unable to match Bristols offer.

- 50% cap exemption for academy grads salaries until the season they reach 24-years old
- 50% cap exemption for EPS players who have been at a club for more than two seasons*
- Ditch the marquee system
- Lower the overall cap to hopefully (shutting stable door after...) reduce wage inflation

Obvious issue there is planning for players falling out of England reckoning. The first season they aren't in the EPS there is still a 50% cap exemption. The second season not in the EPS it falls to a 25% cap exemption. The third season they aren't in the EPS their whole salary falls under the cap.

With a system like that players who's entire salaries fall under the cap would be senior club pros and overseas signing. Hence encouraging clubs to have strong academies and nurture England players.

At the minute each academy effectively has two big investors. The RFU though the Elite Player Agreement and the club in question. The RFU want to produce England players. The clubs want to produce excellent club players. Currently those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

Stop that's far too reasonable we can't possibly do that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:18 am

Is Kvesic being lined up by Bristol? How are they affording all these players?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:34 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is Kvesic being lined up by Bristol? How are they affording all these players?

There was some vague talk of him coming to Glasgow as well. He won't be on megabucks wherever he goes.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:52 am

Bristol get linked with a lot of players. The Tipuric rumours have seemingly died now Sinckler has joined. Jordan Crane was signed on a good three year deal that expires this season. Ian Maddigan was also on a princely sum and he's out of contract this summer as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Feb 2020, 1:07 pm

Madigan is one of the highest paid players in the premiership picard

I suspect that a lot of clubs are reducing offers at the moment to all and sundry with Sarries no longer a major cause of wage inflation.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Feb 2020, 1:39 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Madigan is one of the highest paid players in the premiership picard

I suspect that a lot of clubs are reducing offers at the moment to all and sundry with Sarries no longer a major cause of wage inflation.

I'm sure Maddigan's three year contract seemed a really good idea at the time...

Yeah I'm sure wage inflation has been halted dead in its tracks with the Sarries saga.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Feb 2020, 4:20 pm

Rumour has it that the funding for the championship is being reduced by almost half!

Ring fencing is imminent people!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 12 Feb 2020, 1:09 am

Thistle podcast said Saracens offered Maitland & Jones to the SRU but their current dealts are too rich. Podcast says it's likely both players are happy to move if they can get the same compensation, but would rather see out their contracts than take a cut.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 12 Feb 2020, 4:49 pm

Apparently Dean Richards has offered Jonny May the £325k he is currently on at Tigers for a 2 year deal at Falcons.

Tigers are rumoured to be offering him a £100k pay cut to fit Ford and Genge's increased salaries into the cap.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next