The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher

+8
Shotrock
super_realist
robopz
beninho
GPB
McLaren
pedro
kwinigolfer
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jan 2020, 7:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).American Express, with their host Phil Mickelson, are hoping to restore the "Desert" stop to, if not former glory as the "Bob Hope", at least to a semblance of significance, but it's a comparitively weak field that is underway now under ideal Californian conditions. Expect low scores this week!

2).Ironic that this event takes place during the week the Tour revealed its new pace of play rules. But not all golfers are slow, relatively few in fact, but who are the real Expresses, not necessarily American, on Tour? Who gets the ball in the air before the TV director has a chance to switch to him following the previous shot?
I need some help here, who are the really quick players? In previous generations Lanny Wadkins was legendary for the speed of his play, though I'd suggest John Huston was at least as quick.

We know who the real dawdlers are, and have been. So let's think of some who may be the exception who might prove the rule?
More help please: One of the young Italians is a real speed merchant - is it Pavan or Parratore?

3).Some real quickies:
Tommy Gainey won the first Korn Ferry tournament, in the Bahamas, this week - some good news for Two Gloves.
One or two stalwarts of years gone by played under the "rehab" clause - Villegas missed the cut badly, whilst Sean O'Hair finished in the top ten. Both golfers who are too young not to bounce back if they have the good health and will to do it.

4).Ernie Els plays his first tournament on the Champions Tour this week, in Hawaii - he seems pretty committed to playing a full schedule.

5).Last week we mentioned pros who have played most tournaments in the 2010-decade.
We learned that Charlie Howell (282) and JJ Henry (275) led the way, with Chris Stroud (269) close behind. But you still haven't come up with the other two (also at 269) who make up the Top five. (I believe Hoffman was 6th at 265.)
Clue: They're both playing this week!

6).Mickelson (621) and Furyk 615) are the only under-50 active players on Tour with 600 events played in their career with not many still playing who are likely to reach that mark. Stewart Cink (584) and Brian Gay (585) are the most likely, but younger guys like Howell (559) and Sabbatini (531) will surely get there.
Of those under 40, I believe Baddeley (428) and Na (401) lead the way.

7).Excellent T4 result for McDowell at the SONY Open last week in Hawaii. Europeans in this week's field include Casey & Molinari, and also Bjerregard, Knox, Laird, Noren and Norlander.

8).And next week they're off to San Diego for the Farmers Insurance action at Torrey Pines - Rory, Koepka and Woods lead that field.
Next stop Phoenix, followed by Pebble Beach, Riviera and then Mexico City for the next WGC

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Wed 22 Jan 2020, 9:36 pm

And why not have a year where Tiger is given all the attention. He is after all the greatest player of all time. It would be strange if he had to share the day with Furyk or whoever.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm

McLaren wrote:And why not have a year where Tiger is given all the attention.
That year is every year...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:11 pm

pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:And why not have a year where Tiger is given all the attention.
That year is every year...

Despite the efforts of the WGHOF which now inducts their worthies every other year.

Would you rather share the stage with TDub for your big moment, knowing he'll get all the attention, but coverage will be universe-wide?

or:

Would you rather get your fair share but at a ceremony that receives no attention?

Just another poser for golf's "What Would Padraig Do" column . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:12 pm

McLaren wrote:And why not have a year where Tiger is given all the attention. He is after all the greatest player of all time. It would be strange if he had to share the day with Furyk or whoever.
WGHoF is still on a 2-year cycle, and the new rules say there's a max of four inductions each cycle. So no way they do one of those cycles for just one person. My guess for the 2021 class, Tiger, Harrington, 1 Female player, 1 contributor

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Jan 2020, 12:16 am

There should really be a special category just for Tiger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Jan 2020, 1:06 am

McLaren wrote:There should really be a special category just for Tiger.

There is, in Mississippi.

I really think he should go in to the HOF by himself, for better or for worse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jan 2020, 6:28 am

Don't see the point in awards for awards sake. Who cares about HOF?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 23 Jan 2020, 7:57 am

super_realist wrote:

Don't see the point in awards for awards sake. Who cares about HOF?

Obviously, you don't care about the hof. I would guess, everyone on this board would have assumed this to be the case.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jan 2020, 8:17 am

Why does anyone else? What difference does it make to you if some player you've never met is inducted into some roll of sycophancy?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 23 Jan 2020, 8:53 am

I have little knowledge or interest in the golf hof. I I just don't  feel the need to Express that. It doesn't  really bother me to get involved.

But  you want to stress your opinion, whether you need to or not. Maybe I don't understand the constant need to say something or be different.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jan 2020, 9:42 am

beninho wrote:I have little knowledge or interest in the golf hof. I I just don't  feel the need to Express that. It doesn't  really bother me to get involved.

But  you want to stress your opinion, whether you need to or not. Maybe I don't understand  the constant  need to say something  or be different.

Yet you comment all the time on stuff, so you clearly do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Jan 2020, 10:16 am

kwinigolfer wrote:

There is, in Mississippi.

I really think he should go in to the HOF by himself, for better or for worse.

I don't really get the Mississippi reference?

Like super I couldn't really care less about the HOF but I just hope golf properly honors Tiger at some point by acknowledging his GOAT status, whether that be a special HOF ceremony or something else.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Jan 2020, 12:09 pm

NSFW

https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/1220138630292873222
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 23 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Just another poser for golf's "What Would Padraig Do" column . . . . . . . .
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 23 Jan 2020, 2:11 pm

Why do I care about the World Golf Hall of Fame?

Because I'm a golf fan, that's why. I don't see the need to explain it further nor do I understand why some people seem to want to look down their nose at it. Its a helluva honor for those guys. Awesome for them.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Jan 2020, 4:55 pm

robopz wrote:Why do I care about the World Golf Hall of Fame?

Because I'm a golf fan, that's why. I don't see the need to explain it further nor do I understand why some people seem to want to look down their nose at it. Its a helluva honor for those guys. Awesome for them.

Agree with all that but, for some context at least, HOF's really struggle in Britain and receive next to no recognition. The Football Hall Of Fame, for instance, largely recognises players from the Premier League (last 30 years) and Internet ages, all the better if they've connived themselves a niche in the public eye. Nothing like Cooperstown to be sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 23 Jan 2020, 11:51 pm

Yes I think the concept of a HOF is an American thing.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jan 2020, 1:35 am

pedro wrote:Yes I think the concept of a HOF is an American thing.

Interestingly, the best HOF induction speech I heard was by Peter Alliss, a soliloquy built around a teacher who thought he'd never amount to anything, and his father, one of whose golf lesson students was so disagreeable he taught him a slice that he was absolutely convinced the pupil would never be able to rectify.
He ended, pretty much, with a g-rated Eff You to his old teacher, to great amusement. Nice to see some irreverence at what is a pretty stiff, conservative event.

On the other hand, with regard to the tosspots who run the Football League Hall Of Fame, they have yet to induct my boyhood "hero" (not really) who, after his last international cap, had played more times for England than anyone except Wright & Finney, had captained his only club to two League titles, retired with the record number of League appearances and never a booking. Sometimes, just being the best at what you do is not good enough. Apparently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 24 Jan 2020, 3:33 am

Jimmy Dickinson.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jan 2020, 6:57 am

robopz wrote:Why do I care about the World Golf Hall of Fame?

I'm sure it's an honour for the players involved. The question is why you give the slightest toss about it. Does it actually give you satisfaction to have players inducted into it? That's a bit odd.
Do you give a little fist pump when your favourite player is let in?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 24 Jan 2020, 8:12 am

Golf fan being interested in golf related things. Not really hard to understand is it?

I think, as mentioned hof are not really a British thing. But it's pretty clear why people may be interested in it. It's not hard to understand.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jan 2020, 8:39 am

Are the criteria for HOF entry and voting regulations in the public domain?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jan 2020, 9:25 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Are the criteria for HOF entry and voting regulations in the public domain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Golf_Hall_of_Fame

Not exactly on my bucket list but it's definitely something I'd go to if in the neighbourhood.

The Baseball HOF in Upstate NY is wonderful.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jan 2020, 10:55 am

beninho wrote:Golf fan being interested in golf related things. Not really hard to understand  is it?

I think, as mentioned  hof are not really a British  thing.  But it's pretty clear why people may be interested  in it.  It's not hard to understand.  

It just seems to be what we call a "Buggins Turn"
If you've had a good career you'll get in. So what.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jan 2020, 11:10 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Are the criteria for HOF entry and voting regulations in the public domain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Golf_Hall_of_Fame

Not exactly on my bucket list but it's definitely something I'd go to if in the neighbourhood.

The Baseball HOF in Upstate NY is wonderful.
Thanks, Kwini. Am I missing something or is it simply that if you hit one of those qualifying standards, you're in automatically?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jan 2020, 12:30 pm

navy, supes,
Both right to a large extent; tho' self promoters tend to get in earlier than they might otherwise do.

So there are inconsistencies and there was much tut-tutting when, for instance, Couples & Montgomerie waltzed straight in.

Whilst it seems that curmudgeonly Weiskopf must have p1ssed off even more people than I'd imagined for him not to be "honoured".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jan 2020, 4:28 pm

I'm getting Malware alerts when I open my Torrey Pines thread so have to post here.

Best week of his young career for Cappelen yesterday, and now tied for the lead.
Might have expected that from compatriot Bjerregard but he seems to be struggling. And what about Molinari?? Rose not that much better in defence of his title.

Looking forward to more Rory today on the longer, harder South Course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jan 2020, 4:56 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:navy, supes,
Both right to a large extent; tho' self promoters tend to get in earlier than they might otherwise do.

So there are inconsistencies and there was much tut-tutting when, for instance, Couples & Montgomerie waltzed straight in.

Whilst it seems that curmudgeonly Weiskopf must have p1ssed off even more people than I'd imagined for him not to be "honoured".
Yeah, which is where the problems arise. If Weiskopf satisfies criteria, then should be in. Otherwise, it's a bit of a joke. Not like he's a mass murderer or anything. Kind of supports idea it's all a bit pointless, but guess it satisfies people's need to categorise anything and everything.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jan 2020, 5:31 pm

Think there's a bit more nuance than that, certainly don't think "it's a joke".

Sometimes it's good to be able to celebrate more than wins and losses, goals or saves, whether it's other facets of the game or influence they've had. And remember, it's not just players . . . . . . .
But wouldn't waste time arguing it either.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 25 Jan 2020, 1:46 pm

No doubt princedrac, or GPB, will set me straight, but next week's Phoenix phield doesn't look up to its usual strength.

But Rahm, Justin Thomas and Schauffele wil be there. All the best of British golfers seem to be otherwise engaged. Can never understand why Casey doesn't play this, I thought he lived there.
But St.Luke will play. I'm not sure whether he's ever taken his first, Top 25, career earnings exemption but, if he hasn't, perhaps he should have. This is his final tournament under his Major Medical exemption and he needs something like a Top Five finish - otherwise he'll be relying on sponsor invitations for the rest of the year and it's possible he'll slip out of the Top 25 by season's end.

Still can't access my Torrey thread!!!

But there may not be Fog On The Tyne, but could be fog over T(orrey P)ines this morning, though of course fog is for Britain, "marine layer" in Southern California.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 25 Jan 2020, 5:16 pm

Phog on the Pyne . . . . . . play delayed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 25 Jan 2020, 5:23 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Still can't access my Torrey thread!!! 

Strangely enough the advert that appears at the top of that thread always seems to be a picture that states "18+ dating" though there is no indication that is really is malware - just a dodgy advert. Never seen it on any other thread - wonder what it is about that thread that triggers that particular advert? Some keyword it is homing in on?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 25 Jan 2020, 6:43 pm

I've no idea Davie, my anti-virus just won't open it, a BIG red Malware notice that says it's identified as a malicious site.

They're playing now, albeit in a lingering mist. Struggling to come up with any more Lindisfarne references.

I love watching golf from Torrey Pines, then Pebble Beach in a fortnight and Riviera following that - about the best stretch of courses / scenic value on Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 25 Jan 2020, 7:44 pm

Davie

Isn't it targeted adverts?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 25 Jan 2020, 7:46 pm

Kwini seen as your grindr browsing as stopped you getting on your Farmers thread I will repost the world tour post here. I would be interested to get your take on it?

McLaren wrote:WTF is this.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2020/1/23/potential-world-tour-takes-aim-at-pga-tour-with-lucrative-individual-and-team-concept

Apparently people have been planning a world tour behind the scenes and could be ready to go from next year. What are th more informed posters views on this?

Seems bogus but keen to hear people's thoughts.

McLaren wrote:Robo's response. Hope he doesn't mind me copying it across.

Robo wrote:The PGA and Euro Tours "hole card" in all this is that their players in effect own and control their respective Tours. This new proposal is basically a hybrid team ownership model like the NFL, NBA or NBA.

And then let this paragraph sink in... "The group is retaining a Formula One-style team component, complete with managers and potential drama surrounding players who are signed, benched or released from franchises."

So let's say a bunch of top 50ish players are convinced to crap on to PGAT and ET tours... Then go in a slump... Get benched... Or get released... And they've burnt their PGAT/ET Bridges behind them. And they have no recourse. Because in this new concept, instead of being the owners like they are now, they become the owned, and can be sold off or fired it will.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:56 pm

Heard today that the Players Championship winner will receive $2,750,000 (or was it $2,500,000?). Edit. Just looked it up. $2,700,000

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 26 Jan 2020, 8:04 pm

Rory back where he started - keep yer foot down . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 26 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm

Kwini

A further interesting snippet about the world tour is that apparently the Aussie open might be on the Schedule.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2020/1/26/golfs-australian-open-targeted-by-proposed-world-tour?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I remember you saying that the Aussie events deserve more prominence, but I am not sure if this is the way we would have wanted it to happen.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:55 am

McLaren wrote:Kwini

A further interesting snippet about the world tour is that apparently the Aussie open might be on the Schedule.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2020/1/26/golfs-australian-open-targeted-by-proposed-world-tour?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I remember you saying that the Aussie events deserve more prominence, but I am not sure if this is the way we would have wanted it to happen.

Hi Mac,
You're way ahead of me on this, plus I hardly ever watch videos of talking heads so not up to date on all this at all.

As for the Aussie Open, I'm conflicted on this - it's a tournament with great heritage and history (perhaps the same thing?), but the Aussies tend not to support it, neither their top players or their sponsors.
Not sure why the rest of the world (me included) should care more about this than they do. If they spent a fraction on golf that they do on the Aussie Open Tennis - which I love to watch - I'd have much more sympathy/empathy.
Not to mention their PM seems to have been a total d1ckhead with climate change and the terrifying fire situation. (OK, That has nothing to do with it but just wanted to get it in.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:16 am

Coincidentally, for the Aussie Open, Lucas Herbert's win and Marc Leishman's, Sunday has been Australia Day.

Almost all the Top 20 at the Farmer's are top-ranked golfers, locals (Californians) or Course Specialists; on certain courses, this occurs much more frequently than others, but it seems especially true for Torrey Pines, Pebble & Riviera. Certainly not a guarantee, but a place to look for good value at the bookies.

And I'm pretty smug as I had Leish in my extremely competitive one-and-done and my protege protagonist had Sends.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:52 am

Marc Leishman is the sort of player I think could be a one time major winner like Lowry or Willet. He doesn't do anything spectacularly, but he does pretty much everything well.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Jan 2020, 2:40 pm

I love watching Leishman strike the ball, somewhat Lowry-ish the way he slaps right through contact.

But agree that he's maddeningly inconsistent (except at Torrey Pines) and if he wins a Major it'll likely be The Open or The Masters.

Amazingly, he hit only three fairways yesterday, so not surprising he gained almost 5 "strokes putting".

Another decent (T21) tournament from Russell Knox, only missed five Tour cuts in the past season and (almost) a half, but not getting into contention so he's making life hard for himself.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Jan 2020, 4:18 pm

A weaker field for Phoenix compared to the recent past:
2016: Matsuyama earned 54 pts for the win
2017: 56
2018: 60
2019: 56
2020: Approx 52 from the looks of it, may just squeak a 54. Not any significant help from Europeans, only Jon Rahm from the owgr's Top 90.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jan 2020, 4:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:A weaker field for Phoenix compared to the recent past:
2016: Matsuyama earned 54 pts for the win
2017: 56
2018: 60
2019: 56
2020: Approx 52 from the looks of it, may just squeak a 54. Not any significant help from Europeans, only Jon Rahm from the owgr's Top 90.

Waste Management has to be the worst sponsor name in the entire PGA

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Jan 2020, 4:52 pm

Archbishop Spieth has exited the top 50, he has been there since 2013.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jordan-spieth-falls-out-of-owgr-top-50-for-first-time-since-2013?mbid=social_twitter
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:39 pm

Looks like the real Archbishop Apprentice on the PGATour might be this guy

PGA Tour: "The American Express": Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 EMWaBuYXUAEALvy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Last edited by GPB on Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:52 pm

Spieth was probably choir boy at the wedding.

Rahm looks sh!tfaced - did they put Jimenez in charge of the altar wine?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:58 pm

Perhaps he's wondering why the place is half empty.

Rahm made a bit of a mess of things yesterday, never played well enough to put pressure on Leishman.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:02 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Rahm made a bit of a mess of things yesterday,
Rather that, than a mass.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:59 pm

Rory didn't win but do people think he has regained that form he had a few years ago where top 10 was just automatic?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next