The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phillips to Bayonne

+10
BATH_BTGOG
DaDubs1
doctor_grey
Cari
Shifty
maestegmafia
mr-bryns-attitude
Cymroglan
robbo277
Adam D
14 posters

Go down

Mike Phillips to Bayonne Empty Mike Phillips to Bayonne

Post by Adam D Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:30 pm

Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips is set to join French side Bayonne on a two-year contract, BBC Wales Sport understands.

The 28-year-old, who has a contract with the Ospreys until 2012, has been out of favour following Wales' Six Nations campaign.

And Phillips had been told by the Ospreys he could find a new club.

He would be the latest player to exit the region with Lee Byrne and James Hook having signed for French clubs.

Ospreys boss Scott Johnson said in April they were prepared to let the 2009 British and Irish Lion leave.

"After continued requests from Mike over the last 18 months, we've agreed to let Mike go as soon as he can find another club," Johnson said.

"I think it gets to a stage where within an organisation, anyone who doesn't want to be here will move on."

Wrexham-based rugby league side Crusaders last week confirmed they had approached Phillips over a possible move to the Super League side.

But now it appears Phillips is to follow the example of fellow Welsh backs Byrne and Hook by leaving the Ospreys to join a French club.

Bayonne have recently recruited All Blacks Joe Rokocoko, Sione Lauki and Neemia Tialata.

However, Kiwi scrum-half Byron Kelleher's proposed move from Toulouse to Bayonne has fallen through, leaving a vacancy that Phillips could fill.

Phillips's opportunities at the Ospreys have been limited since the Six Nations Championship and he fell behind youngster Rhys Webb in the pecking order.

The Ospreys have also signed Samoan international number nine Kahn Fotuali'i from Super 15 team the Crusaders for next season.

Phillips started for Wales against the Barbarians at the Millennium Stadium on 4 June and has been included in a 45-man preliminary World Cup squad.

Link and original story - BBS Sport

This might have been on the cards but it looks like its now happening.

Will it be a good move for him and Wales as a whole?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips to Bayonne Empty Re: Mike Phillips to Bayonne

Post by robbo277 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

Bayonne really look to be building something. They've brought in proven International players to build on their 7th placed finish in the Top 14 this season. Might be a good move for Phillips to get a fresh start, not sure if Wales Rugby will benefit too much though.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

Two year contract over in France I cant see him playing many more games for Wales did Joe Rokocoko sign for Bayonne?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

phillips has been stale and lacking drive all season,a fresh start will hopefully do him good, at his best phillips is a huge asset for wales, rhys web will hopefully continue to kick on next season with plenty of game time,so hobo,yes a good move for phillips and wales, and also a large wage bill out of the way for the ospreys.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

THis has to be a great move for Wales and the ospreys and hopefully as mentioned above it will give him a fresh start and a kick up the backside to find his best form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 12 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

mr-bryns-attitude wrote:phillips has been stale and lacking drive all season,a fresh start will hopefully do him good, at his best phillips is a huge asset for wales, rhys web will hopefully continue to kick on next season with plenty of game time,so hobo,yes a good move for phillips and wales, and also a large wage bill out of the way for the ospreys.

Summed up everything I would of said. He was never going to stay at the Ospreys the fans have really turned on him after the poor performances he's been putting in for the last season. One more expensive strutting Peacock off our wage bill.
Good luck to him in his career and I hope he recoveres his form for Wales as a Welsh fan. but as an Ospreys fan, good riddance!

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 12 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

Well at least that's him out of the way! I was getting tired of this hanging over the Ospreys. I wish him well, but it was time for him to move on. I think he won't be with the Welsh squad much longer - doesn't need to be really.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:02 pm

His poster off the wall already then Cari ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

Cari wrote:Well at least that's him out of the way! I was getting tired of this hanging over the Ospreys. I wish him well, but it was time for him to move on. I think he won't be with the Welsh squad much longer - doesn't need to be really.

He will be in the Welsh squad. I reckon this move will revitalise him. But despite that, as long as Cement Head is in charge, he won't drop Phillips.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

Cymroglan wrote:His poster off the wall already then Cari ?

It was never there in the first place. I've never liked Phillips in that way. A couple of years ago I used to think he was quite a good player in that I liked the way he got in the oppositions faces and was all over the pitch (in a good way). Then he suffered the long injury (not his fault, granted) but his ego also inflated....

Rev - you're right he'll be in the squad for now, but I can't see it for much longer - unless, like you say the change of club is a boost for him.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:39 am

I think this will be a great move for Phillips. If ever a lad was in need of a change of scenery, it is this lad. Give him a couple of years eating baguettes, and I bet his game will take a turn for the better. To me, he is too young and too good to sever all ties with Wales. But he is off his best by a big margin and not improving. So a French holiday should be good for him. And in a few years, with some luck, he comes back with the energy, speed and drive which got him in the Wales squad in the first place. And hopefully a little better decision making.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:25 am

Christian Gajan, who used to work under Leivremont at Bayonne, is a decent coach too, he has taken them from bottom scrapers last year to a very handy outfit this year. He will whip MP into shape.

Also playing alongside some new players like Rokocoko, Nemia as well as French stars like Heymans. May well end up with his old mate Gav there too if he doesnt sign for Stade.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by DaDubs1 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:28 am

Might show a bit of a reason why the Ospreys are doing so bad there, reading that Mike Phillips looks to have been trying to leave for a year and a half without being allowed. Hardly motivation for a player. Unless i've completely misinterpreted it.

DaDubs1

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

Why are the Welsh fans so against him, I thought the Welsh were loyal supporters who got behind their players when they're struggling, you don't become a bad player over night!

Would the Blues want him back?
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:08 am

Not against him in the slightest. I just think no one in Wales considers him the form scrum half at the moment.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ystradosprey Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Phillips moving on has to be good for all concerned, the Os save quite a bit of cash, hopefully they can use this to buy some quality, Phillips gets what he wants and hopefully will regain some form, Rhys Webb will hopefully get more game time and improve while Wales will get an extra choice at scrum half. Best of luck to Mike hope he manages to find the form that got him on to the Lions and the Welsh selectors will hopefully have a headache about selection.

ystradosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:17 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:Why are the Welsh fans so against him, I thought the Welsh were loyal supporters who got behind their players when they're struggling, you don't become a bad player over night!

Would the Blues want him back?

NO! - Why would the Blues want him back when they have an international SH, R.Rees who has been playing much better than Phillips, and we have L.Williams who has been excellent this season.

Unless Phillips wants to come over and be our 3rd choice SH and get paid a low wage then no thanks.

Plus, the Blues are not in the position to buy any players, let alone Phillips's millions pound contract...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips to Bayonne Empty Phillips has gone to Bayonne, no longer the galacticos...!

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:34 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/13743283.stm

A two year contract with an option of a third, no rumours on the wages involved but he was on £1Million over three years at the Ospreys. Also no mention of whether it was a free transfer or whether the Ospreys will be compensated for the move...

Thanks for all the great bits of rugby you gave us at the Ospreys Mike mate, and best of luck for the future. A fresh start is just what this man needs...

Lets hope Bayonne does for Mike what Clermont did for his International Half Back partner Steven Jones, who came back to Wales twice the player he was.

EDIT - I'm goig to merge this with the other Phillips to Bayonne article Smile - K devil

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on whether the Ospreys stand a chance next year after the departures of so many well known Players...?

Most have been injured, under performing, away with the International squad and all at some time or another have been responsible for the lack of performance in the Osprey's key matches.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

I think a lot of fans are pretty optermistic for next season we still have a strong squad and many of the players who have left have been playing very poorly anyway.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

Good luck to the Ospreys, I hope they find a way forward with their mix of young guns, NWQ's and Welsh Int.s.

But I do have to say - YMLAEN YSGARLEDS!!!!! Yahoo
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

Doesnt matter about the Ospreys backs,

They still have,

1. Paul James
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Ryan Jones
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:16 pm

THere are some talented backs in the wings, and solid players unlike their former counter parts...

Ashley Beck looked fantastic as did Rhys Webb and Hanno Dirkson.

Could be a few surprises ahead...

Are osprey fans the most optimistic of all the clubs on 606?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:29 pm

Stand a chance of what maesteg? Top Four in the Magners- definitely. Heineken Cup progression? Could go either way. Biarritz, Saracens and the Ospreys will all take points off each other but it's certainly a realistic goal to make the knockout stages.

I don't think they'll win a trophy but they'll do better.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

The clear out of expensive under performing players will not only good for the Ospreys but hopefully in the long run be good for Wales if their young guns get quality playing time.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

Notch wrote:Stand a chance of what maesteg? Top Four in the Magners- definitely. Heineken Cup progression? Could go either way. Biarritz, Saracens and the Ospreys will all take points off each other but it's certainly a realistic goal to make the knockout stages.

I don't think they'll win a trophy but they'll do better.

By shunning their more experienced players they have probably lifted the weight of expectation

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ystradosprey Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Id be interested to know if Bayonne did buy Phillips out of his contract or the Os let him go inorder to save a year (i think) wages.

ystradosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:08 pm

This last few weeks has seen many media sagas resolved. Sometimes you never know the truth.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down