The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New law trial

4 posters

Go down

New law trial Empty New law trial

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 02 Jun 2020, 11:32 am

https://www.the42.ie/red-card-20-super-rugby-5112590-Jun2020/

I mean I always like when they go back to actually applying the laws they've been ignoring (breakdown)but doesn't actually mention the amount of guys going off their feet at all.

The red card trial is crazy. A red card offence should absolutely hinder the team doing it,that's the point. It doesnt spoil anything.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

New law trial Empty Re: New law trial

Post by Exiledinborders Sat 27 Jun 2020, 5:40 pm

Sound idiotic to me.

Surely the point of red cards is to punish foul play.

The bit that really worries me is 'New Zealand Rugby [NZR] also confirmed that existing breakdown laws will be applied more strictly in order to “create faster attacking ball and a fairer contest.”' It is already far to difficult for defending teams to get the ball. Go any further in this direction and we will end up with the attacking team just keeping the ball ad infinitum until they inevitably score. Every team will be like Exeter and the game even more boring than it has become in recent seasons.

They could of course just get rid of the breakdown and insist the attacking team hand over the ball after a certain number of phases. Also playing with thirteen men would create more space. And so the SH's long campaign to destroy the game we love will be complete.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:26 pm

I think that applying the rules is good.  Rules such as diving into the ruck to smash the defending teams player.  If they policed that the breakdown would be quicker as teams wouldn't spend ages trying to secure the ball they should lose.  If the defending team got the ball they might counter it more.

The red card rule is stupid.  If you have two players of simillar standard you could tactically take players out.  In GAA it use to be common practice to have a butcher take out the opposition's best player and if the player was sent off it was a calculated risk that the opposition would be rubbish without him.

What is to stop a team taking out an opposition's flyhalf knowing they have no one else to kick for the rest of the match while you would then be back up to 15 players after 20 mins.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:31 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:Sound idiotic to me.

Surely the point of red cards is to punish foul play.

The bit that really worries me is 'New Zealand Rugby [NZR] also confirmed that existing breakdown laws will be applied more strictly in order to “create faster attacking ball and a fairer contest.”'  It is already far to difficult for defending teams to get the ball. Go any further in this direction and we will end up with the attacking team just keeping the ball ad infinitum until they inevitably score. Every team will be like Exeter and the game even more boring than it has become in recent seasons.

They could of course just get rid of the breakdown and insist the attacking team hand over the ball after a certain number of phases. Also playing with thirteen men would create more space. And so the SH's long campaign to destroy the game we love will be complete.

Some of the lawtrials are actually beneficial to the defending team, such asthe tackled player may not roll, crawl etc. he must immediately place the ball.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 27 Jun 2020, 7:44 pm

I mean it's crazy that world rugby dont get hold of this and bang heads together isnt it. The last point being that it isnt a trail that player must immediately play the ball merely refs being rubbish at applying existing laws. The amount of delayed passes into players hands has been taking the mick in the last few years though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 27 Jun 2020, 8:07 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I mean it's crazy that world rugby dont get hold of this and bang heads together isnt it. The last point being that it isnt a trail that player must immediately play the ball merely refs being rubbish at applying existing laws. The amount of delayed passes into players hands has been taking the mick in  the last few years though.

Exactly, attacking teams have been getting away with much at the breakdown.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:05 am

It can be an absolute mess depending on which ref you get. If this brings more consistency across refs it can only be a good thing I suppose.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down