The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple

3 posters

Go down

Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple Empty Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple

Post by The Beast Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:44 am

SL Clubs have voted not to allow Toronto back into SL. Toronto Voted out of SL

Whilst it always seemed a very strange fit to allow them in, now thrown out at the first opportunity. SL sticking two fingers up to the RFL?

The ripple effects are that some obvious questions have been answered i.e. a club will be promoted from the Championship to replace them. Ottawa Aces have also deferred their entrance to League One for another year, they say due to COVID-19 however I find it hard to believe the Toronto decision has not influenced this.

Not sure how the promotion will be decided, presumably some kind of licencing however the "winner" receives £1m in funding rather than £1.8m for the other 11 clubs. It is also rumoured that 2 SL sides voted for the "winner" to receive £800k, presumably to help ensure they are not relegated.

Apparently Fev, Toulouse, Leigh have already thrown their hat into the ring with I assume London. Bradford apparently considering their options (see Bulls thread.)

No word on how the Championship will be re-organised (doubt SL cares), one promoted from League One? Will Toronto compete in the Championship (presumably not). Shambles.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple Empty Re: Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple

Post by Luke Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:15 pm

Yep definite shambles.

Toulouse should be the club promoted on my opinion, the others have had a chance, plus they're a well run club.

As for Toronto, they've been run shabby for years, with non payments, free tickets etv, and this proposed take over seemed all about his business, less about the stability of the club. And to me didn't seem credible, as if he's really wanted to take over, you take over, pay your debts and take whatever punishments and just say fine,well get back.

Although I do question how the sl CEO was allowed to campaign and write a document about his views (shouldn't he be neutral), and why the club's were given the vote.

As for the championship, is personally do it, 11 sides next year, only 1 goes down while the 2 championship 1 sides go up. 1 up 1 down sl way. And would be looking at Cornwell (very strong interest), and getting them ready 2022, and other areas like Valencia. Oh and start building the m62,Cumbria back up. As without a strong base, these effects cause bigger issues.
Luke
Luke

George Hotel1895 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple Empty Re: Toronto Wolfpack - Out of SL & Ripple

Post by Luke Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Cornwall and Valencia etv start in championship 1.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:26 am

To the best of my knowledge Newcastle out of the running on the basis the initial criteria only allows clubs to move forward who have either played in SL or finished in the top 6 of the Championship in the previous 2 seasons.

Toulouse would IMO be a great choice and play very attractive rugby, rumours suggest that Leigh may offer to forfeit all of their central funding for 2021. If so I suspect that this will be attractive to SL.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:30 pm

So are Halifax, which to be honest is probably best for the club. 5 being looked at.

Leigh have pretty much recruited a sl side also (though 4 from Rovers is strange). Like I said give it to Toulouse, or run an 11 team comp, promote the champions in 2022 and start again.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:16 pm

Decision day tomorrow for League One clubs. One of Newcastle, Rochdale, Barrow, Doncaster or Workington will be promoted as a result of the situation regarding Toronto.

In honesty I would be surprised if it is not Newcastle.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:04 pm

It is Newcastle. Which they fit every criteria, expansion, decent ground etc.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:05 am

Luke wrote:It is Newcastle.  Which they fit every criteria, expansion, decent ground etc.

Always seemed from the outside the clear favourite. Congratulations to them, I think they will be a great addition to the division.

The decision on who is promoted to SL has been brought forward to Monday (14/12) midday. Much more difficult decision, my prediction is Leigh.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I agree with Leigh. But if it was my choice it would be Toulouse.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Leigh it is, congratulations to them. Sigh of relief for me.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Great for the championship, and given the players they've recruited (4 from Rovers), interesting for next year.
Personally would still have liked to see Toulouse get the place.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Good luck to Leigh, IMO Derek Beaumont deserves that success and credit.

I suspect the Toulouse bid will have hampered by the uncertainly surrounding the pandemic (as of course was Toronto's).

With Leigh going up and Newcastle joining the Championship looks very competitive, no easy games.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:43 am

The Beast wrote:SL Clubs have voted not to allow Toronto back into SL.  Toronto Voted out of SL

Whilst it always seemed a very strange fit to allow them in, now thrown out at the first opportunity. SL sticking two fingers up to the RFL?

The ripple effects are that some obvious questions have been answered i.e. a club will be promoted from the Championship to replace them.  Ottawa Aces have also deferred their entrance to League One for another year, they say due to COVID-19 however I find it hard to believe the Toronto decision has not influenced this.

Not sure how the promotion will be decided, presumably some kind of licencing however the "winner" receives £1m in funding rather than £1.8m for the other 11 clubs.  It is also rumoured that 2 SL sides voted for the "winner" to receive £800k, presumably to help ensure they are not relegated.

Apparently Fev, Toulouse, Leigh have already thrown their hat into the ring with I assume London.  Bradford apparently considering their options (see Bulls thread.)

No word on how the Championship will be re-organised (doubt SL cares), one promoted from League One?  Will Toronto compete in the Championship (presumably not).  Shambles.
#
In my opinion for whats its worth this decision will come back to haunt Rugby League.
The games best ever chance of getting into the most lucrative sports market in the world has been torpedoed by short term thinking. A thinking that has haunted the game in it's entire history. I'm just expressing my opinion.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:07 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:SL Clubs have voted not to allow Toronto back into SL.  Toronto Voted out of SL

The ripple effects are that some obvious questions have been answered i.e. a club will be promoted from the Championship to replace them.  Ottawa Aces have also deferred their entrance to League One for another year, they say due to COVID-19 however I find it hard to believe the Toronto decision has not influenced this.

Not sure how the promotion will be decided, presumably some kind of licencing however the "winner" receives £1m in funding rather than £1.8m for the other 11 clubs.  It is also rumoured that 2 SL sides voted for the "winner" to receive £800k, presumably to help ensure they are not relegated.

Apparently Fev, Toulouse, Leigh have already thrown their hat into the ring with I assume London.  Bradford apparently considering their options (see Bulls thread.)

No word on how the Championship will be re-organised (doubt SL cares), one promoted from League One?  Will Toronto compete in the Championship (presumably not).  Shambles.
#
In my opinion for whats its worth this decision will come back to haunt Rugby League.
The games best ever chance of getting into the most lucrative sports market in the world has been torpedoed by short term thinking. A thinking that has haunted the game in it's entire history. I'm just expressing my opinion.

I have mixed views and was surprised that Toronto were not re-admitted. I have however read that their "bid" was viewed as being "weak"

You make a compelling point GH, keep expressing your opinions, always look forward to your posts.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:36 pm

The Beast wrote:
George Hotel1895 wrote:

#

I have mixed views and was surprised that Toronto were not re-admitted.  I have however read that their "bid" was viewed as being "weak"

You make a compelling point GH, keep expressing your opinions, always look forward to your posts.
I think IF we play a full season next season the relegation battle will be between, Salford, Leigh and Hull KR

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:26 am

I actually think that while Rovers will probably be down there. Huddersfield and Wakefield will be the other clubs battling it out to stay in SL.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 am

Luke wrote:I actually think that while Rovers will probably be down there. Huddersfield and Wakefield will be the other clubs battling it out to stay in SL.
With the signings the Giants have made i would be surprised if they were involved in a relegation battle.
Initially i thought the Red Devils would be in a relegation scrap, but with their signings i don't think they will be.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm

At this stage I would make Leigh favourites for relegation.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:43 pm

The Beast wrote:At this stage I would make Leigh favourites for relegation.
I would go with that. They was given to short notice to assemble a team that would have competed with Super League for the whole season.
I expect them to start off well and then fade as they get found out when other coaches notice their weaknesses.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down