The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter Alliss

+5
McLaren
TM2K
GPB
BlueCoverman
I'm never wrong
9 posters

Go down

Peter Alliss Empty Peter Alliss

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:54 am

Peter Alliss has passed away at the age of 89. To some. he was the voice of golf, to others annoying - and lately - out of touch.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Peter Alliss Empty Re: Peter Alliss

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:17 am

A bit unexpected, he was commentating on the Masters only last month. Was it the dreaded Coronavirus perhaps?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:18 am

Died at home peacefully (but unexpectedly) at his home on Saturday night. Nothing else mentioned, so I would think unlikely. But nothing definite.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:55 am

Not always politically correct but I liked him and I laughed with everyone at his Hall of Fame induction speech. RIP Mr Alliss.

Maybe he will meet up with Miss Violet Weymouth.

https://youtu.be/N_HSJ8niuKE?t=754

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:29 pm

He was the guest speaker at my club’s big centenary bash in 2011...I was away so couldn’t go but apparently he was exceptional and shared some wonderful stories going right back to his playing days. By all accounts he was a bit of hellraiser on tour in his day, although I don’t suppose that took much back then, and rather fond of a drink or two...which I think continued into his commentary days as the rumours are he’d polish off copious amounts of gin throughout each day’s broadcast. If that’s true he’s done well practically making it to 90 in seemingly reasonable health.

He’s not always been my cup of tea as thought he came over a bit pompous at times, but for the most part was entertaining, knowledgeable, knew the times to say nothing and definitely more interesting than so many others in his own unique style...appears to be very well thought of by those he met it which isn’t a bad way to be remembered at all

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:53 am

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:59 am

Suppose you think that is disgraceful Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:01 am

No, thought it was quite funny.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:15 am

It is, but I can see the BBC would not have allowed such a joke in their recently released woke phrasebook.

There was another one like that when they were talking about how a hole had been redesigned and was much tighter now, accompanied by a woman bending over in the crowd. Him and Alex Hay were a great double act.

RIP and all that stuff.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:07 pm

A classic that a friend of mine noted (for an event he was broadcasting in Scotland when the heavens opened up): "One of the good things about all the rain in Scotland is that most of it end up as Scotch."

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:32 am

Always more amusing watching the golf when he was behind the mic, yes his style was of yesteryear and I don’t think he ever deliberately tried to be up-pc but he was and that was part of his appeal. One things for sure, the BBC won’t be trying to replace like for like...which is a great shame, although I suspect it would be a fruitless search trying to find anybody like him anyway.
RIP old fella

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am

Cmon guys Peter was great.im sure I read when he was born he was 13ibs baby or some such.Anyway remember his nip and tuck comment about Crenshaw and Iaoki or someone about to win the US open and the camera pans to the wife and Pete says 'shes planning a new kitchen'.Jacobs and Coles were the face of the ET but Peter was close in behind what we now have.Didnt want to join the womens institute and couldnt work out why they might want to join a golf club,RIP

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down