The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Rugby's Team of The Decade

+10
Maine man
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
Cyril
Old Man
Poorfour
mikey_dragon
Pete330v2
lostinwales
Collapse2005
14 posters

Go down

World Rugby's Team of The Decade Empty World Rugby's Team of The Decade

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Dec 2020, 11:27 am

Here is World Rugby's Team of the Decade:

Tendai Mtawarira (RSA), Bismarck du Plessis (RSA), Owen Franks (NZL), Brodie Retallick (NZL), Sam Whitelock (NZL), David Pocock (AUS), Richie McCaw (NZL), Sergio Parisse (ITA), Conor Murray (IRE), Dan Carter (NZL), Bryan Habana (RSA), Ma'a Nonu (NZL), Brian O'Driscoll (IRE), George North (WAL), Ben Smith (NZL)

This is how it was reported around the world.

Australia:
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/12/07/david-pocock-sole-wallaby-in-world-rugby-team-of-the-decade-richie-mccaw-named-best
New Zealand:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/300177708/richie-mccaw-portia-woodman-named-players-of-the-decade-at-world-rugby-awards
Ireland:
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/1207/1182996-ireland-pair-make-world-rugbys-team-of-the-decade/
England:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/all-blacks-dominate-as-richie-mccaw-named-world-rugby-player-of-the-decade
Wales:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/only-welshman-named-world-rugbys-19417215
SouthAfrica:
https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/springboks/three-springboks-named-in-world-rugbys-team-of-the-decade-20201208

Do you agree with the team? The only change I would make is Itoje for Whitelock and you could pick a number of props that you could make a good case for. The rest are fine for me.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

World Rugby's Team of The Decade Empty Re: World Rugby's Team of The Decade

Post by lostinwales Tue 08 Dec 2020, 11:40 am

Funny one, and a bit click bait-y. I saw this in the grauniad. On one hand think it is a hell of a team, on the other can't help thinking that England (and NH in general) and South Africa could both feel a bit miffed at lack of representation given results in 2019.

AB's are also sore that Savea and Aaron Smith are not in. No denying the AB's general excellence in all things rugby related, but I do think that they are always marked up because of their reputation.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 08 Dec 2020, 12:07 pm

My changes would be Itoje at 5, Smith at 9, Nodolo at 14 and Folau at 15.
There, that's better Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 08 Dec 2020, 12:08 pm

Some questionable selections there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 08 Dec 2020, 12:12 pm

I think given it's the best players over the period 2010 and 2020, it's a pretty good XV. It's understandably dominated by the 2011-2015 All Blacks, and the others can all reasonably claim to have been at or near the top of their position for most of the decade.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 08 Dec 2020, 12:22 pm

I would consider Duane Vermeulen

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 08 Dec 2020, 12:26 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:My changes would be Itoje at 5, Smith at 9, Nodolo at 14 and Folau at 15.
There, that's better Wink

Yes Folau was wonderful. Wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit too controversial to get into a team like this these days.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 08 Dec 2020, 1:20 pm

Very much a ‘first half of the decade’ side.

No problem with Folau omitted. To be honest, i’d be happy to see his caps voided.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 08 Dec 2020, 2:00 pm

Agree with that Cyril there is a lean towards those who have already finished or are nearing the end of their careers. Parisse is there as he was good if not great for Italy and so they can say its bot biased towards successful teams. Personally I felt he was a little overrated and tried too much to the detriment of the team. I'd have a number there before him. For me player wise Folau was the best full back but fully see why hes been dismissed from this (as is probably the case). You really cant have World Rugby praising that.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Dec 2020, 2:24 pm

Don't know why, but Brodie Retallick always reminded me of the main bad guy from the Highlander movie.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Tue 08 Dec 2020, 2:55 pm

Kieran Read at 8 for me. I too always thought that Parisse was over rated.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 08 Dec 2020, 2:56 pm

1.Ayerza
2.Horie
3.Franks
4.Etzebeth
5.Retallick
6.Pocock
7.McCaw
8.Parisse

9.A Smith
10.Carter

11.Savea
12.Nonu
13.C Smith
14.Habana
15.B Smith

Shota Horie might seem an odd one but he's been playing across pretty much the whole decade, has spearheaded Japan's vast improvements and is a fantastic hooker.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Dec 2020, 4:06 pm

As good as it was, for what its worth while I do like Jamie Heaslip's try v Italy I dont think it was the best try on the shortlist of tries of the decade mainly because it was against Italy.

I probably would have given it to Beauden Barritt v France from the list or Sean O'Brien for the Lions v NZ (not on the list).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUAb1KlnmY

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Dec 2020, 3:49 am

Kieren Read can feel a bit hard done by I think. Easily the best player in his position for a long time this decade and a very good captain.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 09 Dec 2020, 7:43 am

I was going to say that O'Brien's try could have been marked down for the missed penalty but then we have Ashton's first up as well.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 09 Dec 2020, 8:16 am

Guess Gatland was picking it.

Can we now argue over when a decade ends and if this is a year late or a month early?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 09 Dec 2020, 3:22 pm

yappysnap wrote:Kieren Read can feel a bit hard done by I think. Easily the best player in his position for a long time this decade and a very good captain.

Personally Id have picked Parisse over Read. There are a few guys that could have been part of the conversation, Billy V, Heaslip, Faletau, Vermeulen etc. but no clear winner in my view so dont think Parisse was particularly controversial.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 09 Dec 2020, 3:29 pm

Would have gone for Faletau myself. Parisse was made to look better than he was for the most part by playing in a bang average side not to mention his ego cost his team on a number of occasions.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2020, 3:50 pm

A few that stick out as dubious. I'd have Warbuton in there and consider putting Pocock at 8, or having him ahead of Pocock. Po was probably a better player but, in a rare case for the NH, Warburton achieved more. Unfortunately he probably needed a RWC for everyone in world rugby to recognise and rubberstamp his greatness.

Parisse was incredibly flawed after 2013ish and mostly played his best years in the 2000s under the old style of rugby. Same goes for BOD in the 2000s, played his best years in the 00s. Conrad Smith would be my pick. I'd also put Folau at 15, Ben Smith to the wing, get rid of North. Aaron Smith over Murray, obviously. I'd also make a case for AWJ but hard to argue against the Kiwis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down