The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+18
Galted
Maine man
VTR
hampo17
sirfredperry
king_carlos
James100
guildfordbat
eirebilly
JDizzle
Duty281
Soul Requiem
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
KP_fan
msp83
Gooseberry
22 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 9 Empty Rest of the World

Post by Gooseberry Tue 12 Jan - 6:14

First topic message reminder :

Duty281 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:
Duty281 wrote:So the most likely scenario is an Australia/New Zealand final at Lord's.

There are many things wrong with the WTC - points system is convulsed and perhaps not particularly fair - but Test cricket at neutral venues is something worth getting excited about! Shame it is only one game.

Yeah, I can't personally say that I am a fan of the WTC. The points system doesn't work properly, fixtures are of unequal value and weighting, and boiling an entire test championship down to one solitary fixture to decide the winner doesn't seem right to me.

That said, I think that Australia and New Zealand are the two best test teams in the world right now and, if that is the final, it would be the right fixture. A shame, as you say, that it's only one game and not, at least, a three-game series.

The current system is a temporary fudge to get around the unforseen situation and make the best of whatever fixtures could be fulfilled.

Had it gone to plan all the teams wouldve played home and away fixtures and had equal opportunities to earn points. That hasnt been the case, but at the same time I dont think anyone can argue theres not a clear top 3 teams with England sat just behind them and the rest of the world a significant step back from that.

One off game may be a bit unfair in that the toss could well play a major part in deciding it, but its always been about providing a focused big televised event rather than genuine competition. However the remaining fixtures pan out we should end up with two teams who deserve to be in the final even if New Zealand have just played at home. A long series in a neutral country just isn't viable in the modern calendar or that interesting to anything other than the hardcore fans.

Gooseberry

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 9 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by Gooseberry Fri 5 Feb - 20:44

Interesting side effect of Aus pulling out of teh SA tour is that India have an easier route to the WTC final now and NZ are guaranteed their spot.

CSA will be in absolute meltdown about Aus pulling out so late, cant blame them given the fiasco of the "bio security" there and danger of the local variant but its really not good to see that board plunged into even more financial issues at a time
the teams already in a downward spiral. Real danger of a two tier top 10 opening up across all formats, only NZ are keeping ace with the big 3.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 5 Feb - 20:52

But NZ are the Big One at the moment never mind keeping pace !

Can't argue with the stats Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 6 Feb - 0:31

Pakistan ended up with 272, a decent score on a tough wicket. Faheem Ashraf with a good 78*, as he ran out of partners. South Africa's fast response stands at 106/4, so advantage with the home side for now.

West Indies got bowled out for 259 against Bangladesh, managing to lose their five wickets for just six runs. The West Indies have hit back with the ball, reducing Bangladesh to 47/3 in the second innings, but the lead stands at 218 so the away side will need a heroic effort with the bat and ball to win this one.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 6 Feb - 2:57

Well depends if you look at the stats of home games and relative quality if opposition that helped nz to such a good win ratio stat. Aus might feel they deserve to be there on the paper rock scissors method having hammered NZ in their series. But win ratio s the stat that counts in getting there and its certainly good to see someone outside the big 3 involved. Think India also proved that Aus can't claim to be unfairly excluded if they don't make it.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 6 Feb - 6:40

Duty281 wrote:Pakistan ended up with 272, a decent score on a tough wicket. Faheem Ashraf with a good 78*, as he ran out of partners. South Africa's fast response stands at 106/4, so advantage with the home side for now.

Yep, advantage Pakistan. That's despite Nortje's fivefer.

Particularly for Alfie and Olly - only a few weeks before his death in December, Robin Jackman was on the phone to Alec Stewart recommending Nortje to Surrey. Sadly, not possible this season.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 7 Feb - 18:36

West Indies currently 239/3 needing another 156 to beat Bangladesh. Mayers and Bonner currently 108* and 68*, in a partnership of 180. Both on Test debut! Just one to keep an eye on...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 18:36

To prove test cricket is still mad, the West Indies might be about to chase down 395 to win a test match. They need another 156 to win with seven wickets and 41 overs left.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 7 Feb - 19:28

Duty281 wrote:To prove test cricket is still mad, the West Indies might be about to chase down 395 to win a test match. They need another 156 to win with seven wickets and 41 overs left.

Amazed at this , TBH. I'd noted they were recovering well and making good progress but assumed a collapse would have come by now Smile

Still suspect one will bring five eventually...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 19:46

Well they've just lost the debutant Bonner for 86, but the other debutant Mayers is still there at 121*.

112 to get off 29 overs. Would suspect a draw is most likely, but it's heading for a Brisbane-esque conclusion.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 7 Feb - 19:52

Duty281 wrote:Well they've just lost the debutant Bonner for 86, but the other debutant Mayers is still there at 121*.

112 to get off 29 overs. Would suspect a draw is most likely, but it's heading for a Brisbane-esque conclusion.

If Blackwood bats those 29 overs I’d fancy they’ll be close!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 19:57

Blackwood's just had his stumps demolished, so I think that's the end of any possible West Indies charge to victory.

And Bangladesh have 27 overs to get five wickets, against a very weak West Indian tail.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 7 Feb - 20:29

Still five down...need 69 off 17 so you'd fancy the batting side , no ?

Might be worth watching...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 20:34

Yep, Mayers is still chugging away. Has a FC average below 30, but is currently on 156* in his debut test. First man to hit 150+ in the fourth innings of a test for the West Indies since a certain Brian Lara in Bridgetown.

If he bats through the West Indies might just take the win.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 7 Feb - 20:51

Mayers having what I think they term “the innings of a lifetime” here - he only had two first class hundreds before this!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 21:08

West Indies surely going to do it now, another mad chase to add to the list of recent years. Mayers might just get a double-century on test debut...it would be one of the best test debuts ever!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 21:17

Yep, double-ton for Mayers in 303 balls. clap clap clap

And next ball he smashes his sixth six of the innings. Unsurprisingly he's the first man to score a double-century in the 4th innings on debut.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 21:31

West Indies win. Fittingly Mayers hits the winning run. A successful chase of 395, eclipsing the West Indies' heroics at Headingley 2017, and joining the recent list of I-can't-believe-it chases, along with Sri Lanka v SA 2019, Headingley 2019 and the Gabba 2021.

The fifth highest successful run-chase in tests, I believe.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 7 Feb - 21:32

Absolutely unbelievable chase from the WIndies - and possibly the greatest 4th innings knock by a batsman ever by Kyle Mayers. Can’t wait to find some highlights later!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 21:58

Might be seeing the start of another unbelievable chase - South Africa are 88/1 in pursuit of 370.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 7 Feb - 22:09

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Absolutely unbelievable chase from the WIndies - and possibly the greatest 4th innings knock by a batsman ever by Kyle Mayers. Can’t wait to find some highlights later!

Indeed. Wow. Just wow. Would have lost my shirt on that if I were a betting man.

Good news for West Indies fans for a change !

alfie

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 23:27

South Africa close day four on 127/1. They need another 243 runs to win.

Do they dare to dream?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 7 Feb - 23:32

https://youtu.be/dnHbAmE44dY

Full highlights of Mayers wonderful knock here - some outrageous sixes towards the end. Superb
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Pal Joey, guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 7 Feb - 23:36

Wonder how the rest of his career will turn out. After that match-winning ton against England in 2017, Shai Hope barely had another good innings!

I am enjoying the statistical quirk that Mayers' test average currently stands at 250.00.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 7 Feb - 23:46

Duty281 wrote:Wonder how the rest of his career will turn out. After that match-winning ton against England in 2017, Shai Hope barely had another good innings!

I am enjoying the statistical quirk that Mayers' test average currently stands at 250.00.

Perhaps he should quit while he's ahead Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 8 Feb - 5:03

WI won chasing 395 on a subcontinent last day pitch after BD declared
WOW...just WOW......glorious test cricket...who is this Kyle Meyers btw
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 8 Feb - 6:15

Must be a bit gutting for the Bangladesh 8 who got his first ever first class century in the match and still wasn't the unexpected hero with the bat. What on earth went on here? Meyers has a very mediocre first class record, its not quite Jason Gillespie territory but even if there was some dubious betting patterns that wasn't the sort of innings that could be cooked up. Not even like he was scoring runs in the warm up to this or in NZ. Innings of a lifetime!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 8 Feb - 17:50

Part three in unbelievable test chases of 2021 coming up?

South Africa currently 210/3. They need another 160 to win with 68 overs remaining (overs left basically not an issue).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 8 Feb - 18:45

Just caught up on that one ...they really could do it!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 8 Feb - 19:05

Saffers have advanced to 238/3, 132 away from a famous victory.

Pakistan now take the second new ball. The next 10-15 overs will surely decide the contest.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 8 Feb - 19:15

And Hasan Ali severely dents South Africa's chances with the new ball - two in two, both taken at second slip, Markram and de Kock accounted for.

Victory now looks a long way off for South Africa.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 8 Feb - 19:44

And Bavuma goes for 61. 253/6 and South Africa still 117 shy and both set batsmen removed with the new ball.

A sense of normalcy to return to test cricket.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 8 Feb - 19:55

Kiss of death from me wasnt it! Oh well.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 8 Feb - 23:46

Impressive collapse, 241/3 to all out 274 Doh  Hope India are taking notes

Oddly for SA they seemed to handle the spinners OK, but the pacemen with the second new ball absolutely lethal

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 9 Feb - 4:13

Quite astonishing knock by the WI debutant, although watching the highlights revealed some poor fieldplacing by Bangladesh.

Mayers continually slashed hard through the slip area, yet the fielders were in for the soft edge and should have been several paces back. Fantastic innings, though.

After these last-day heroics, I fully expected SA to pull off something remarkable too and for a while it looked on. This is a very poor SA side and they seem to be at a bit of a crisis point.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 12 Feb - 22:03

West Indies currently on course for another win over Bangladesh, which would give them a rare test series win abroad. Batting first the West Indies made 409, with the slightly odd fact that no batsman actually made a century. Bangladesh are 105/4 at stumps and in a pretty tough position, though with the odd goings on in test cricket of late it would be foolish to rule them out entirely!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 12 Feb - 22:48

West Indies indeed doing very well. Only 14 wickets in two days though...might be hard to force a win?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Feb - 19:57

Another fascinating finish in store in Bangladesh!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Feb - 19:57

Exciting conclusion brewing between Bangladesh and the West Indies.

Bangladesh 101/4, having just lost Mushfiqur, needing another 130 to win. Time left not a problem. One of those tricky sub-continent pitches - though not as tricky as Chennai! - where you can lose wickets in a quick heap.

You got there just before me, Olly!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 14 Feb - 20:33

Mayers' test average down to 87

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 14 Feb - 21:02

A thriller unfolding in BD again
WI imploded and now BD need 80 with 6 wits in hand
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Feb - 21:46

Bangladesh needing 43 with one wicket left now, looks like West Indies will wrap up a fantastic series win barring something mental
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Feb - 22:02

Down to 18 needed...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Feb - 22:07

West Indies hold on and win! A very good 2-0 series win for them. Another enthralling test match.

Was a great chase for the neutral. Every time Bangladesh got a partnership going, the West Indies hit back with a few wickets. 59-0 became 78-3, 147-5 became 163-8, then the lower-order batting nearly pulled it off.

Fantastic test.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Feb - 22:07

Mehidy falls after a valiant effort and West Indies win another tight one!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 14 Feb - 23:23

And each time you write off test cricket in Windies....they remind us thy are alive by kickking sometimes

BD is the second best subcotinent team these days and very credible back to back test wins by WI
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 15 Feb - 4:15

Excellent series win by WI, particularly given their inexperienced line-up. Two very exciting finishes, as well.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 17 Feb - 20:16

More woe for SA .. Faf du Plessis calling time on Tests . At 36 I guess he didn't have a lot of time left - but having to replace another solid bat when they are battling to set out a decent top order is just one more thing they might have wished delayed a little longer.

Older players can't be blamed for prioritizing the t20 circuit , I guess.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 17 Feb - 21:15

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1250818/pat-cummins---once-we-knew-virat-was-going-to-miss-the-last-three-tests--pujara-was-the-big-wicket-for-me

Interesting to hear Cummins talk about Pujara, Pant quite rightly got a lot of the plaudits for the series win but it was only possible after the Aussie bowlers had been worn down.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 Feb - 19:47

New Zealand going great guns against the Aussies in the first T20i, Devon Conway 99* with the bat and Southee/Boult doing damage with the ball first up. Aussie batting looks weak on paper without Smith/Warner in this format
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 Feb - 20:02

You have to admire Mitch Marsh's ability to never play a match winning innings, but simultaneously play an innings which continues to give selectors/coaches hope to keep him in the side
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next