The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

+42
chris_501
Phil
Welly
jimbopip
Maine man
Brendan
Highland Shaun
Rugby Fan
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Welshmushroom
doctor_grey
Poorfour
profitius
Hazel Sapling
Collapse2005
Margin_Walker
Kingshu
Sgt_Pooly
Heaf
BigTrevsbigmac
Fluxy
propdavid_london
thebandwagonsociety
Pete330v2
LordDowlais
lostinwales
Geordie
nathan
WELL-PAST-IT
Oakdene
PhilBB
geoff999rugby
RDW
BigGee
LeinsterFan4life
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
BamBam
RiscaGame
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
Filo8
46 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 4 Empty SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Filo8 Mon 22 Feb 2021, 12:07 am

First topic message reminder :

mikey_dragon wrote:
y ddraig goch wrote:Jac Morgan is leaving the Scarlets for the Ospreys to go and learn his trade off Tipuric. Big loss for the Scarlets but makes sense with Dan Davies, Josh Macelod, and James Davies still on the books. Jac looks like a future Welsh international so it might be a good move for Wales in the long run with the Ospreys finally starting to live up to their potential with a return to the top level of Europe given the players on their books.

Davis and Davies aren’t that good, McCleod is very good but has awful luck with injuries lately. Scarlets’ supporters can’t see why Jac is being let go. Boyde was another good 7 that they let go.

Ospreys are a long way off their potential if last night is anything to go by.
He isn't 'being let go', he's apparently an Ospreys fan and wants to leave despite the offer on the table.
Considering the conditions, the young players in key positions, and the momentum killing refereeing performance (for both sides), Ospreys came out of it with a victory which is what they needed to help secure champions cup rugby next season.
I think it would be better to judge them as of next season when, if all the murmurs are to be believed, we will have a higher proportion of games played with full strength sides.

Filo8

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 4 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 12 May 2021, 11:29 am

Rugbypass have Jonathan Joseph rumoured to Toulon with Bath demanding a 150k euro release fee to get out of the final year of his contract.

Apparently Jonathan Davies and Ryan Crotty's names are being circulated around France as well.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 4 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 12 May 2021, 12:22 pm

Crotty and Davies would be really bad choices for the attritional French league. They have both had injury issues and in their early 30s it's not the best time to increase the level of physicality. Crotty made the right decision to head to Japan and increase the length of his career and earning capabilities. A similar move would be sensible for JD2 depending on his home arrangements.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 15 May 2021, 7:42 pm

Only saw that Glasgow signed Domingo Miotti from Western Force, formerly los Jaguares. Very tidy player.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 16 May 2021, 11:18 pm

I think Davies should move on, might not be a good move on the pitch but it will be off it. I wonder if Wales and the Regions will target a WQ replacement, someone like Max Clark.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 17 May 2021, 10:43 am

Mumbling rumours that Polledri has signed for Bristol....

Need to keep an eye on that rumour..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 17 May 2021, 11:00 am

And Solomona also linked to Bristol...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 May 2021, 11:36 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I think Davies should move on, might not be a good move on the pitch but it will be off it. I wonder if Wales and the Regions will target a WQ replacement, someone like Max Clark.

Not sure Max Clark will be a like for like replacement for Davies. That's some pretty big shoes to fill but he could do a job for a Welsh region. At the Scarlets he and Williams would be a pretty tough and physical combination true also at the Dragons alongside Roberts.

Polledri to Bristol? Presumably because Earl will be going back to Sarries but that does set up and potentially terrifying flanker combination of Luatua and Polledri. Solomona sounds like he's had some personal stuff go on and a fresh start might be best for both sides.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 17 May 2021, 12:15 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I think Davies should move on, might not be a good move on the pitch but it will be off it. I wonder if Wales and the Regions will target a WQ replacement, someone like Max Clark.

Not sure Max Clark will be a like for like replacement for Davies. That's some pretty big shoes to fill but he could do a job for a Welsh region. At the Scarlets he and Williams would be a pretty tough and physical combination true also at the Dragons alongside Roberts.

True, although Clark does look good and could get at least a handful of caps (I doubt he'd come over if that wasn't on the table). Now with North out we just don't have any decent centres, unless Halaholo grows into the role.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 23 May 2021, 5:59 pm

Cuthbert from Exeter to Ospreys. They’ve been crying out for more wingers. I’m glad Booth can also see it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 May 2021, 6:36 pm

Hope Cuthbert can put some demons behind him and keep the boo-boys at bay. I was a critic of his when he was off form for wales, and on reflection that probably wasn’t fair as it wasn’t his fault he kept getting picked when he had lost form and confidence. But such was Gatland’s policy to allow players multiple attempts to play themselves back into form. But loved watching him when he first came through the 7s circuit and into the senior Welsh squad. Scored some absolute crackers for Wales and had some serious gas for a big man back then. Hope he can do the job down at the O’s and not be put off being back in the ‘goldfish bowl’.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 23 May 2021, 8:45 pm

Makes sense for Chiefs with Cordero Jnr and Hodge coming through nicely they can save some salary cap. Cuthbert has struggled to make much impact because of injuries, he's still got some pace but there's younger wingers who are more elusive pushing him down the reckoning.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 May 2021, 10:43 am

I think I hardly saw him for Exeter. Hopefully that's his bad luck with injuries done and dusted, Ospreys could use a big winger - I don't expect he'll be able to threaten the Wales lineup though. Just thinking that going forward Ospreys back 3 could consist of North, Cuthbert and Collins. That's not bad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 24 May 2021, 10:47 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I think I hardly saw him for Exeter. Hopefully that's his bad luck with injuries done and dusted, Ospreys could use a big winger - I don't expect he'll be able to threaten the Wales lineup though. Just thinking that going forward Ospreys back 3 could consist of North, Cuthbert and Collins. That's not bad.

I'm not sure North will feature on the wing now, hence why they are looking at Cuthbert for the wing spot. That said a back 3 of Collins, Cuthbert & the boy Protheroe could be potent.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 May 2021, 11:01 am

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I think I hardly saw him for Exeter. Hopefully that's his bad luck with injuries done and dusted, Ospreys could use a big winger - I don't expect he'll be able to threaten the Wales lineup though. Just thinking that going forward Ospreys back 3 could consist of North, Cuthbert and Collins. That's not bad.

I'm not sure North will feature on the wing now, hence why they are looking at Cuthbert for the wing spot. That said a back 3 of Collins, Cuthbert & the boy Protheroe could be potent.

I would put North at 13, but Ospreys want him stay put on the wing. I think Watkin at 13 is something we can all do without, for me he's a 12 and now an average one as he hasn't seem to deliver on the early potential shown. North is out for a while, I hope he can return to where he left off. I think Ospreys are very weak in the back 3 (hence Collins and Cuthbert). Protheroe is good. Collins could feature at 13 too I guess - he'll be an international no doubt.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 24 May 2021, 11:21 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

I would put North at 13, but Ospreys want him stay put on the wing. I think Watkin at 13 is something we can all do without, for me he's a 12 and now an average one as he hasn't seem to deliver on the early potential shown. North is out for a while, I hope he can return to where he left off. I think Ospreys are very weak in the back 3 (hence Collins and Cuthbert). Protheroe is good. Collins could feature at 13 too I guess - he'll be an international no doubt.

Yeah I think Watkin was overhyped slightly. Wherever North fits in when he comes back, the Ospreys could have a very tasty looking back line with Anscombe at 10.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 May 2021, 11:26 am

Definitely one of the strongest squads I can see on paper, still flattering to deceive on the field though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 24 May 2021, 11:46 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Definitely one of the strongest squads I can see on paper, still flattering to deceive on the field though.

If they can get Anscombe fit & firing then I really think they could do some damage next season, I expect them to be there or thereabouts in terms of play offs. Certainly are the strongest Welsh region when all fit. The Blues are always a bit meh really & whilst the Dragons have played some nice rugby recently I don't see them getting enough results to write home about. The Scarlets have been hit by injuries again & it's probably shown that while we have the largest squad in terms of numbers, the depth really isn't there, 2 big signings needed for us, one lock & a centre. A winger with gas would be nice but that's probably not essential.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 May 2021, 12:12 pm

You're a turk eh? I can't see why you let go of Tex, or Asquith. Both quality players. I can see you've made some additional signings but perhaps not enough. Definitely a top class centre and winger required if you wish to be one of the top teams again.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 24 May 2021, 12:28 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:You're a turk eh? I can't see why you let go of Tex, or Asquith. Both quality players. I can see you've made some additional signings but perhaps not enough. Definitely a top class centre and winger required if you wish to be one of the top teams again.

I am indeed, for my sins.

I don't think Tex settled in the area really & Asquith has been criminally under used by us, such a classy player. We desperately need a big lock to add some grunt, people don't appreciate the amount of work that Jake Ball does in clearing rucks, it's been evident this season when he's been out or away with Wales, we get pinged a lot for holding on.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 25 May 2021, 1:23 pm

Worcester bring in Jay Tyack from Cornish Pirates for the end of this season, he'd already signed for next season. Tyack is a good TH and signing.

I've been quietly impressed by some of Worcesters recruitment. They are losing key players in Schonert, Hougaard and Weir but have brought good players in too. It feels like they are searching for better depth in some positions rather than a strong starting XV with little below it.

Hougaard - Heinz, Chudley
Weir - Williams
Cornell du Preez - Vailanu
David - Duhan
Schonert - Judge, Owlett, Tyack

Scott Baldwin is another good signing at hooker where they've been weaker this season. It was a position of strength with Singleton and Taufete'e in particular.

Finn Smith, Noah Howard and Morgan Monks look like good players coming out of their academy to challenge for senior rugby as well.

Losing Hougaard and Weir was always going to be tough but in Heinz and Williams they have a strong half-back pairing that know one another already.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 25 May 2021, 1:46 pm

Tyack was the tighthead who caused Sarries problems at scrum time wasn't he? Could be a useful addition. Worcester don't have a lot of star quality up front, makes a lot of sense then to tool up for the set piece of there's limited effectiveness in the loose. The backs have got some decent players so give them a platform and look to them to provide the line breaks.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 25 May 2021, 1:54 pm

Are the TIgers bringing many in? Ive barely heard of anyone.

Likewise the Falcons...theres only two positions we really need...Tight head and possibly a good look at Fly Half.
With ringfencing and budget reduction...i think our academy will finally get the exposure it deserves...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 25 May 2021, 2:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Are the TIgers bringing many in? Ive barely heard of anyone.

Likewise the Falcons...theres only two positions we really need...Tight head and possibly a good look at Fly Half.
With ringfencing and budget reduction...i think our academy will finally get the exposure it deserves...

It should be a stable Tigers squad for a change!

Jake Kerr, Luan de Bruin and Lavanini are confirmed out with Nic Dolly, Francois van Wyk and Eli Snyman signed in the same positions.

Marco van Staden is Jordan Taufua's replacement and a fantastic openside that I can't wait to see at the club. He reminds me a bit of Hamish Watson in how he plays.

Freddie Burns is confirmed in with Bonilla presumably moving on. I'm very happy with that as to my eye Zack Henry and Jonny McPhillips are talented but have too many holes in their game to be ideal second choices. I'd much prefer Sam Costelow backing up Ford as a long term heir but that ship sailed sadly so Burns is a good signing in the circumstances.

There have been rumours that Ben White will sign with LI. It would be a shame but he is 4th choice at Tigers and needs game time to keep progressing. I think White can be a solid Premiership scrum-half that would do well at LI.

The remaining question marks are around squad players that have struggled for first XV game time as is often the case. Ryan Bower, Sam Lewis, Jordan Coghlan, Luke Wallace, Sam Aspland-Robinson and George Worth being the main ones. I really hope Olowofela returns and stays after his stint in Super Rugby.

Rumours are that we've signed a centre who will hopefully be a heavy ball carrier. We need another senior prop as tighthead depth below Cole and Heyes is threadbare. Then if there's cap space a first XV lock to replace Lavanini.

I'm really hoping that a stronger replacement for Lavanini is incoming at lock but second rows are expensive and the cap has come down so who knows. Snyman to me looks a squad player and Tigers locks are already frequently outplayed against top sides.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 25 May 2021, 3:09 pm

Owolfela has been confirmed as returning for 1st July apparently so he should be there for pre season and has looked decent in Super Rugby. That should help our lack of pace out wide as his acceleration is very good and he looks more powerful now.

Another prop is required but I imagine a cheapish veteran just to hold the fort in case of injuries would be fine. We'll want to keep getting games into Hurd and Whitcombe to bring them through plus Leatigaga will be back and we've definitely been missing him. Getting him and Montoya back for next season will be good.

1. Genge, Leatigaga, van Wyk, Whitcombe
2. Montoya, Youngs, Clare, Dolly
3. Cole, Heyes, ?, Hurd
4. Wells, Martin, Snyman
5. ?, Green, Henderson
6. Liebenburg, Chessum
7. Van Staden, Reffell, Wallace
8. Weise, Brink, Smith
9. Youngs, JVP, Wigglesworth, White
10. Ford, Burns, McPhillips
11. Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Porter
12 ?, Kelly
13. Moroni, Scott
14. Potter, Owolfela, Browning
15. Steward, Henry

Assuming Bonilla, Coghlan, Lewis, SAP and Worth are joining those already confirmed off.

I'm expecting a lock and a centre to come in though we've been linked with another backrow which might then push Chessum into the row. I certainly rate Chessum, Martin and Henderson as players we'll see a lot of going forward but we do lack a bit of real quality in the now in the second row. If that backrow turned out to be a massive lock/6 ala the monster Jacques du Plessis that Montpellier were able to deploy from the bench in the final that would be ideal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 25 May 2021, 3:52 pm

Interesting thoughts...

We have been linked with that Jeremy Jordaan the SA lock. He looks an aggressive powerful lock. I would be happy with that.

Then we just need to hunt a couple of cracking tight heads. We currently have Mike Daniels, Rodney Ah You, Mark Tampin, and Logo. Id move Daniels on...and sadly for all he's a beast Rodney Ah you, hes just so injury prone.
Keep Logo and Mark Tampin and see if we can get two more in. If we get shot of Jon Hardie, Cooper Vuna, Arscott, Owens etc...and replace with them better academy players...we can afford to find two good tight heads.

Then we have the 10 issue. Flood is a coach now pretty much. Hodgson a good squad back up for 10 and 15. Connon has really come through brightly over the last few games...playing some great rugby. But we need to see if he can do that consistently now. We also have young Haydon Wood who really should be getting a few run outs now...even if its at 15 (as 10s tend to do these days)

I suspect we may see an experienced decent quality 10 come in..

Everywhere else im pretty happy...especial Carl Fearns...wow two games in, and what an impact that guy has had!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 25 May 2021, 5:29 pm

Fearns has always been a beast to be fair. Falcons have a lot of depth in the back row but even so he was likely worth the punt for that bit extra he offers in physicality.

As always there seem to be several Falcons youngsters I really like the look of. Radwan I've mentioned a lot. Chick is really kicking on. Stevenson and Wacokecoke look really good outside backs. Blamire has all the raw ingredients to be a strong hooker.

Jordaan is a big lock that hasn't seemed to really make an impact in senior rugby. Deano seems to have done well with Petersen who was a similar mould though so perhaps he will flourish at Falcons.

I've thought for a few seasons that lock is one of the most important positions for Premiership clubs. With varying interpretations of scrum laws having a dominant scrum is difficult which can somewhat hinder the value from spending huge (i.e. marquee) money on props. A good set of locks can give a side a solid lineout and maul which is the most potent attacking weapon (debate to be had over whether that's a good thing...) over the long Premiership season. Good second rows make so many tackles, ruck clear outs, one out carries from 9, etc that effective locks are players that add up a lot over a long season.

Getting quality in the row is so important to balance of a squad. There's different routes to that quality as well. Some clubs will spend big such as LI with Simmons, Coleman and Mafi. Bristol on the other hand won't be spending that massive money on any of Vui, Attwood, Joyce or Holmes but they are mightily effective rotated well as Pat Lam does, especially with Luatua such a good lineout forward in the back row.

Ruan Botha during his brief stint with LI showed how much a top lineout lock can add to a club.

Half-back and second row would probably be the main positions I'd be looking at for recruiting marquee players in the Premiership with how the game is currently played. There are exceptions such as Piutau who is simply a world class player available all season that can win games with moments of brilliance. Players such as that and owners with the cash of Lansdown to sign them are both rare though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 May 2021, 7:39 am

Agree with that Carlos. You can get a lot of quality at prop without spending silly money these days as well. Worcester have done well in this regard picking of Judge and Tyack recently. Neither are going to worry the international team but both are good solid tightheads that'll do a bit in both scrum and lineout. Saints have unloaded their expensive and largely impotent All Black and brought in a Championship top performer Heffernan instead. Chiefs have replaced Thomas with a Kiwi from Mitre 10 which is where Mulipola came from way back. Some good scouting and Falcons could pick up some bargains.

If Falcons were to try and exert some financial muscle trying to pry Taniela Tupou out if Australia could be a good option. Having him, Mulipola and McGuigan in the same front row would be quite the carrying unit.

Good flyhalfs aren't that easy to come by with Japan hoovering up most of the Kiwi and Australian options. Not sure what options are left to try and tempt from Wales or Scotland. If you could get one of the several very talented Leinster back ups who don't think they are going to get a look in then you'd be doing well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 26 May 2021, 8:55 am

Sean O'brien to Exeter. Not thee SOB but Connachts young center. There are 2 more young Sean O'Briens in Ireland. Both backrows.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 26 May 2021, 10:12 am

king_carlos wrote:
I've thought for a few seasons that lock is one of the most important positions for Premiership clubs.

I seem to recall that on average, locks are paid the most........with hookers the least. So some good advice for your children, don't become a hooker thumbsup

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 26 May 2021, 10:26 am

king_carlos wrote:

Jordaan is a big lock that hasn't seemed to really make an impact in senior rugby. Deano seems to have done well with Petersen who was a similar mould though so perhaps he will flourish at Falcons.

Dean seems to have a knack of getting good results from Locks..with one or two failures.
If we do sign Jordaan and Dean can get the best from him..he would be a useful addition.

3 Logo
5 Jordaan
6 Fearns
7 Wilson
8 Chick

Suddenly we have some serious carrying ability that we can mix with the grafters and more skilled players.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 May 2021, 10:30 am

Baxter seems to be quietly building a young backline to operate behind his front line options, could be some very clever succession planning.

9. Maunder Jnr
10. Skinner
11. Cordero Jnr
12. Hendrickson
13. O'Brien
14. Baldwin
15. Hodge

All under 25 and none required to come in as a starter, ok Hendrickson is 26 but that's an outlier and there's still years for him in his career. Means they can be acclimatised to Chiefs way. Some of them have already come into the side and looked decent. Good use of academy and recruitment as we'd expect from Baxter and his team. Whitten is now 33 and Cuthbert we know is off there's opportunities going to be coming.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 May 2021, 10:31 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
I've thought for a few seasons that lock is one of the most important positions for Premiership clubs.

I seem to recall that on average, locks are paid the most........with hookers the least. So some good advice for your children, don't become a hooker thumbsup

I suspect that average might swing upwards a bit for the hookers when Sarries get promoted and with Montoya and Creevy now in the Prem. It's still solid advice to the kids mind playing in those dark spaces can age you before your time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Wed 26 May 2021, 10:36 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Baxter seems to be quietly building a young backline to operate behind his front line options, could be some very clever succession planning.

9. Maunder Jnr
10. Skinner
11. Cordero Jnr
12. Hendrickson
13. O'Brien
14. Baldwin
15. Hodge

All under 25 and none required to come in as a starter, ok Hendrickson is 26 but that's an outlier and there's still years for him in his career. Means they can be acclimatised to Chiefs way. Some of them have already come into the side and looked decent. Good use of academy and recruitment as we'd expect from Baxter and his team. Whitten is now 33 and Cuthbert we know is off there's opportunities going to be coming.

Baxter has been doing this for years. Just look at the pack, and the players they would have taken over from originally: Waldrom, Tom Johnson, Moon, Horstmann, Mumm, Tui. Then equally for the backs, the likes of Dollman, Arscott's, and Steenson. Anyone remember when they used to depend on Naqelevuki in the midfield!

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 26 May 2021, 10:42 am

king_carlos wrote:

As always there seem to be several Falcons youngsters I really like the look of. Radwan I've mentioned a lot. Chick is really kicking on. Stevenson and Wacokecoke look really good outside backs. Blamire has all the raw ingredients to be a strong hooker.

Theres alot more coming through that need to play .

Morgan Passman is a big hope on the wing...reminds me of Ben Cohen in his pomp. Obonna has played in he las two games also (on the wing)...he'll feature a lot more next season...he's more a 13. Then theres Matty Ward another winger, Iwan Stephens a 19 yo full back in the same style as Josh Hodge (we signed him from Leeds Rhinos) and a few others.

Wakecoke is actually 25...26 in October so not a youngster. I also prefer him in the centre.

Dean is too slow for giving the kids gametime...but hopefully with ringfencing for another two seasons...he has the cajonnes to just play them. Especailly now we have a more settled team and a more attacking style...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 26 May 2021, 4:01 pm

Saints having a bit of a low level clear out:

Northampton Saints can today confirm that Reuben Bird-Tulloch, Tommy Mathews, Ryan Olowofela and Tui Uru will leave the Club at the end of the season.

Couple of half decent players there could end up at other premiership clubs.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 26 May 2021, 4:55 pm

Ryan Olowofela and Tui Uru have looked more than capable to me when I've seen them. Perhaps Olowofela will return to Sevens to try to make the Olympics squad.

Adendorff has seemed a consistent performer when needed. Any surprise that he's off given Isiekwe will be away in the summer as well?

Juarno Augustus is a good addition and Karl Wilkins has impressed in Pro D2 so the numbers in and out are the same. It just seems that Isiekwe for Wilkins is trading a very consistent and quality Premiership performer for a relative unknown. Given Boyd carries very few back rows in his squad (6 this season counting Lawes and Isiekwe as back rows) it seems more of a risk with an unknown player.

Quality over quantity in recruitment and using the academy to fill out squad depth is what I've wanted at Tigers for what feels like an age now so it's by no means tactics I consider bad from Boyd. Sale have been going for a small but quality squad for years as well, they too only have 6 back rows in their current squad. I'd consider the weakest of those to be Cobus Wiese though who's still a very good player. That known quality makes the smaller squad numbers less risky, whereas a player like Wilkins in small pool of back rows is perhaps a bigger gamble.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 May 2021, 5:46 pm

Adendorff is off? Really, that is a surprise. I thought Saints were actually going to start having hard carrying options in the backrow for a minute there. Augustus, Harrison and Adendorff would have given them carrying power and cover instead of hoping that Harrison can play almost every minute.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 26 May 2021, 6:36 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Adendorff is off? Really, that is a surprise. I thought Saints were actually going to start having hard carrying options in the backrow for a minute there. Augustus, Harrison and Adendorff would have given them carrying power and cover instead of hoping that Harrison can play almost every minute.

Joining Nevers according to the French press.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 May 2021, 8:23 pm

Wow Nevers. That's a step down from the Prem unless I've missed them getting promoted to the Top14. Surely a Prem team would have found space for him and I'm surprised Saints aren't wanting to retain him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 27 May 2021, 11:14 am

Nevers didn't make the top 6 and as such not in contention for Promotion

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 27 May 2021, 3:34 pm

Bit of a dead wood clearout for Ospreys with the following departing: Gareth Evans, Shaun Venter, Scott Williams, Cory Allen, Luke Price.

I imagine the first 4 could pick up a contract somewhere.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 27 May 2021, 4:06 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Bit of a dead wood clearout for Ospreys with the following departing: Gareth Evans, Shaun Venter, Scott Williams, Cory Allen, Luke Price.

Williams looked like some player when he broke on the scene, he's never really quite reached the heights I expected. Is he still injury prone? I wouldn't say no to him at Falcons if he could produce some of his old magic.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 May 2021, 4:06 pm

Luke Wallace back to Quins

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 May 2021, 4:08 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Luke Wallace back to Quins

Granted early release by Tigers. Rumours Tigers have acquired another backrow for next season so this makes sense. Wallace can help Quins cover Evans injury (when will that lad have some luck with injuries).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 27 May 2021, 7:06 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Bit of a dead wood clearout for Ospreys with the following departing: Gareth Evans, Shaun Venter, Scott Williams, Cory Allen, Luke Price.

Williams looked like some player when he broke on the scene, he's never really quite reached the heights I expected. Is he still injury prone? I wouldn't say no to him at Falcons if he could produce some of his old magic.

Very injury prone. When he first burst onto the scene he looked as if he had overtaken JD2 already. He might retire, be a shame as he’s got a good few years left.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 28 May 2021, 10:24 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Luke Wallace back to Quins

Granted early release by Tigers. Rumours Tigers have acquired another backrow for next season so this makes sense. Wallace can help Quins cover Evans injury (when will that lad have some luck with injuries).

Quins have a pretty good track record with recruiting players who were surplus to requirements at Tigers - Will Evans, Will Skinner, Will Greenwood (who like Wallace was a boomerang)... but clearly we will have to change his name to Will to get the full benefit.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 May 2021, 1:29 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Very injury prone. When he first burst onto the scene he looked as if he had overtaken JD2 already. He might retire, be a shame as he’s got a good few years left.

I was about to ask if you'd have any at the Dragons. Just checked BBC and it seems we're eyeing up Cory Allen. What's your thoughts on that one? There was a time when I would have snapped your hand off for him to come to the Dragons as he was in a good bit of form a few years back and we were struggling in that area, but I'm not so sure now. Has he been injured a lot? Don't think I've seen much of him for a long while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Filo8 Sat 29 May 2021, 12:41 am

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

I was about to ask if you'd have any at the Dragons.  Just checked BBC and it seems we're eyeing up Cory Allen.  What's your thoughts on that one?  There was a time when I would have snapped your hand off for him to come to the Dragons as he was in a good bit of form a few years back and we were struggling in that area, but I'm not so sure now.  Has he been injured a lot?  Don't think I've seen much of him for a long while.
He's been out injured for just over 600 days, just recently started running again.

Filo8

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 29 May 2021, 6:37 am

Too injury prone for me. I get that Ryan wants an out and out 13, but I think we are taking too much of a punt on him staying fit here.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 29 May 2021, 1:19 pm

Both too injury prone, but I’d prefer Williams of the two. We probably shouldn’t be looking to recruit in the centre anyway.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next