The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

+42
chris_501
Phil
Welly
jimbopip
Maine man
Brendan
Highland Shaun
Rugby Fan
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Welshmushroom
doctor_grey
Poorfour
profitius
Hazel Sapling
Collapse2005
Margin_Walker
Kingshu
Sgt_Pooly
Heaf
BigTrevsbigmac
Fluxy
propdavid_london
thebandwagonsociety
Pete330v2
LordDowlais
lostinwales
Geordie
nathan
WELL-PAST-IT
Oakdene
PhilBB
geoff999rugby
RDW
BigGee
LeinsterFan4life
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
BamBam
RiscaGame
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
Filo8
46 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 6 Empty SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Filo8 Mon 22 Feb 2021, 12:07 am

First topic message reminder :

mikey_dragon wrote:
y ddraig goch wrote:Jac Morgan is leaving the Scarlets for the Ospreys to go and learn his trade off Tipuric. Big loss for the Scarlets but makes sense with Dan Davies, Josh Macelod, and James Davies still on the books. Jac looks like a future Welsh international so it might be a good move for Wales in the long run with the Ospreys finally starting to live up to their potential with a return to the top level of Europe given the players on their books.

Davis and Davies aren’t that good, McCleod is very good but has awful luck with injuries lately. Scarlets’ supporters can’t see why Jac is being let go. Boyde was another good 7 that they let go.

Ospreys are a long way off their potential if last night is anything to go by.
He isn't 'being let go', he's apparently an Ospreys fan and wants to leave despite the offer on the table.
Considering the conditions, the young players in key positions, and the momentum killing refereeing performance (for both sides), Ospreys came out of it with a victory which is what they needed to help secure champions cup rugby next season.
I think it would be better to judge them as of next season when, if all the murmurs are to be believed, we will have a higher proportion of games played with full strength sides.

Filo8

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 6 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:55 am

Lots leaving Wasps...

Vailanu - Wuss
Velacott - Edinburgh
Owlett - Wuss
Rowlands - Dragons
Taylor - Sale
De Jongh - Stormers
Soponga - Lyon
Zhvania - Unknown
Sirker - Unknown
McIntyre - Unknown
Brookes - Unknown (most likely Toulon)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21 - Page 6 Empty Re: SILLY SEASON TRANSFER RUMOURS 20/21

Post by king_carlos Thu 10 Jun 2021, 10:15 am

Simon McIntyre would be a really good signing for any club.

Zurab Zhvania is also a very decent loosehead.

Callum Sirker is ridiculously fast and a very good 7s player but just hasn't done it in 15s yet. Having just turned 23 he's got time though. Marcus Watson didn't make an impact in the Prem until he was 24.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jun 2021, 10:24 am

I would love either LH at Falcons

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 10 Jun 2021, 10:58 am

king_carlos wrote:Simon McIntyre would be a really good signing for any club.

Callum Sirker is ridiculously fast and a very good 7s player but just hasn't done it in 15s yet. Having just turned 23 he's got time though. Marcus Watson didn't make an impact in the Prem until he was 24.
McIntyre would plus up the scrum at any club. Hoping is doesn't fancy a long ride from where he is and thionks the Rose of Shires is an attractive landing place.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:11 pm

king_carlos wrote:Simon McIntyre would be a really good signing for any club.

McIntyre is the kind of solid club level player that I can only imagine has another deal somewhere else already.

Sirker, be interesting to see if he drops down to the Championship and lights it up or whether another Prem team look to gamble on him. I think the Championship would be best, a solid season playing is what he needs after his awful injury luck.

Zhvania, erm when I've seen him play he's looked bang average though admittedly that's not been very often.

I presume Wasps are after props given the notes leavers, their scrum hasn't been the best for a while and those leaving aren't going to help that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:35 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Zhvania, erm when I've seen him play he's looked bang average though admittedly that's not been very often.

I haven't seen him often either but on those occasions he looked pretty good. Maybe Dragons can afford him now that we've let 7 players go...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

On that note, I see that Wasps have signed Pierre Scholtz from Scarlets.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 10 Jun 2021, 1:12 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:On that note, I see that Wasps have signed Pierre Scholtz from Scarlets.

They have, he only came over as injury cover as Samson had his concussion injuries. He was never likely to stay beyond this deal as we've signed WGJ.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 10 Jun 2021, 2:04 pm

James Cronin to Connacht or Ulster

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 4:04 pm

Falcons have signed Worcester pair Prop Richard Palfrman and Lock George Merrick

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 Jun 2021, 6:55 pm

Keep Merrick fit and that's a good signing. Palfreman is a solid squad man. Is Dean's new fad collecting locks? Moved on from backrow.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 Jun 2021, 7:43 pm

McPhillips off to Carcassonne in the summer. That leaves Ford at 28 as the youngest flyhalf under contract at Tigers for next season (without counting the academy). We are all assuming Bonilla is off as well because he's been pants and not included in the squad for months. So Ford, Burns and... going to nip down with my boots tomorrow...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 11 Jun 2021, 9:09 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Keep Merrick fit and that's a good signing. Palfreman is a solid squad man. Is Dean's new fad collecting locks? Moved on from backrow.

Hes caught on late, that if he has a good lock he can play them in the back row aswell like Robinson...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:44 am

Looks like Nathan Earle is all but officially confirmed to us.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 14 Jun 2021, 12:33 pm

Taione from Exeter could be on his way to the Ospreys....

Not sure why Booth feels he would be a good addition. Plenty of quality hookers in Wales so it's disappointing if this move goes ahead as they should be looking to develop Welsh players. Would have thought someone like Ethan Lewis would have made sense given he still young and has just been released by Cardiff and did get experience with Saracens this year.

Granted he may have some injury issues I'm not aware of.

If the regions keep doing this it's understandable why more young welsh players are heading to the English Premiership for chances.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 Jun 2021, 1:08 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Looks like Nathan Earle is all but officially confirmed to us.

Hmm, not sure you need another wing but he's a good player who has the potential to step up another level again. Powerful runner.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jun 2021, 1:20 pm

If he can step up fine but we have 3 young wingers ready to come in...so im mixed on this one.

We have another signing apparently aswell...wonder who that is. Maybe Jordaan is coming the lock, but i really hope its a decent 10.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 14 Jun 2021, 1:35 pm

11.Earle
12.Orlando/Burrell
13.Wacokecoke/Stevenson
14.Radwan
15.Brown

With Carreras and Passman as well that seems a pretty good place to be in the outside backs to be fair.

Losing Brophy-Clews is a blow though. He'd have been a good addition for Falcons.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jun 2021, 2:06 pm

Yeah we're not in a bad place at the moment. Orlando is a class act. Really top quality player in the centre. Lucky we have him really.

Earle will have to earn that starting position over Stevenson for the moment...which is not going to be easy, even if long term i see Stevenson as a centre. Carerras also is a cracking little player....
We have Obonna aswell...who has been getting games later in the season and is definitely a centre...despite being played on the wing.

i wonder what they are doing with the 10 spot...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Filo8 Mon 14 Jun 2021, 7:24 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Taione from Exeter could be on his way to the Ospreys....

Not sure why Booth feels he would be a good addition.  Plenty of quality hookers in Wales so it's disappointing if this move goes ahead as they should be looking to develop Welsh players.  Would have thought someone like Ethan Lewis would have made sense given he still young and has just been released by Cardiff and did get experience with Saracens this year.

If the regions keep doing this it's understandable why more young welsh players are heading to the English Premiership for chances.
Perhaps he thinks he would be a good addition because Ospreys have just had one of their young hookers suddenly retire through injury so are in need of another professional hooker for a season?

In what way haven't they developed Welsh hookers? They've brought through so many recently it was at a stage where people were saying that they should be forced to get rid of one to help other regions.

I despise this attitude that the Welsh regions aren't allowed to sign a single foreign player, even for squad depth under these extreme circumstances.

Filo8

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 15 Jun 2021, 8:24 am

Filo8 wrote:

Not sure why Booth feels he would be a good addition.  Plenty of quality hookers in Wales so it's disappointing if this move goes ahead as they should be looking to develop Welsh players.  Would have thought someone like Ethan Lewis would have made sense given he still young and has just been released by Cardiff and did get experience with Saracens this year.

Perhaps he thinks he would be a good addition because Ospreys have just had one of their young hookers suddenly retire through injury so are in need of another professional hooker for a season?

In what way haven't they developed Welsh hookers? They've brought through so many recently it was at a stage where people were saying that they should be forced to get rid of one to help other regions.

I despise this attitude that the Welsh regions aren't allowed to sign a single foreign player, even for squad depth under these extreme circumstances.

Agreed, in the last few seasons they have had Sam Parry, Ifan Phillips, Dewi Lake & Scott Otten.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 15 Jun 2021, 8:39 am

Rumours of Mike Ford out and Kevin Sinfield is as defence coach at Tigers which would make absolutely no sense whatsoever and not fix our lack of attack coach. Hence I expect it to be announced later.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 15 Jun 2021, 1:54 pm

Rumours of George Ford to leave Tigers? Anyone heard this?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 15 Jun 2021, 1:57 pm

Heading to Falcons SGt.... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 15 Jun 2021, 2:05 pm

He'd probably scrape into the 23.....they can keep Ben Youngs though Very Happy

Sgt_Pooly

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 15 Jun 2021, 3:41 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Rumours of George Ford to leave Tigers? Anyone heard this?

As far as I can tell it's just people putting together rumours of Mike Ford leaving and George having not played the last couple of rounds. It's already been said by Borthwick and Eddie Jones that Ford is taking the summer off due to a calf issue though. Nothing in it from what I've heard so far.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 15 Jun 2021, 4:18 pm

Possibly KC, although I did hear of Ford a few days ago. It would make sense somewhat with Burns coming in.....and he has history when he father is let go.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 15 Jun 2021, 4:27 pm

Not so sure re Burns. Wages in Japan below the massive stars isn't as great as people think and I don't think Freddie would be a starter for any Prem club outside of Falcons (not meaning that as a barb, but it isn't an area of strength for you) now that Gloucester have got Hastings coming in.

Ford is certainly Tigers highest paid player and in contract so if he's being bought out then Tigers will have a ton of cash and a marquee spot for a replacement 10. Burns is a really good second choice 10 but not a player that will demand those sorts of wages. I've always liked Freddie as a player and he's a top bloke but there's too many flaws in his game to demand top dollar as a 10. There's only so many speculative chips over the top flying straight into oppositions arms that fans can take before it somewhat dulls the wonder when Freddie finally regathers one of them to create a try.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 15 Jun 2021, 5:57 pm

Freddie Burns is also returning at 31. He's signing a contract to see him to pretty much retirement. He's not coming in as a first choice. Two year deal takes him to 33 and anything after that is a bonus for a pro rugby player these days.

I'd be surprised if Ford left because as KC says he's under contract and a very hefty contract it is to. No other Prem team currently has that kind of cap space to blow on a flyhalf other than maybe Falcons but he's unlikely to opt to sit behind a weaker pack even if Falcons do find the cash. Any move away from the Prem and he misses out on his sizeable England bonuses. Ford has a backline with a mix of internationals and future internationals around him at Tigers and any attack system will be built around him. Plus he loves Rugby League so I suspect the chance to work with Kevin Sinfield would actually be a draw for him.

Tigers have released all their other senior flyhalfs bar Ford. Not the option if we were to be losing Ford as well and replacing him with Burns which we are definitely not.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 15 Jun 2021, 6:33 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Freddie Burns is also returning at 31. He's signing a contract to see him to pretty much retirement. He's not coming in as a first choice. Two year deal takes him to 33 and anything after that is a bonus for a pro rugby player these days.

I'd be surprised if Ford left because as KC says he's under contract and a very hefty contract it is to. No other Prem team currently has that kind of cap space to blow on a flyhalf other than maybe Falcons but he's unlikely to opt to sit behind a weaker pack even if Falcons do find the cash. Any move away from the Prem and he misses out on his sizeable England bonuses. Ford has a backline with a mix of internationals and future internationals around him at Tigers and any attack system will be built around him. Plus he loves Rugby League so I suspect the chance to work with Kevin Sinfield would actually be a draw for him.

Tigers have released all their other senior flyhalfs bar Ford. Not the option if we were to be losing Ford as well and replacing him with Burns which we are definitely not.

Maybe Borthwick plans to make the pack so ferocious that there's no need for backs. "Flyhalves? Where we're going, we don't need flyhalves"...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 15 Jun 2021, 7:48 pm

Someone's got to kick for touch so we can have the rolling mauls...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 15 Jun 2021, 8:48 pm

Oakdene wrote:
Filo8 wrote:

Agreed, in the last few seasons they have had Sam Parry, Ifan Phillips, Dewi Lake & Scott Otten.

He’s confirmed now (Taione). I didn’t know he was that old, most of these islanders do have good longevity though. He would have to be going there as third choice - doesn’t seem like a bad option to have.

Have to disagree on Ethan Lewis. There’s certainly a shortage of quality hookers at the regions (except for Ospreys). Each of the others have one good option but then there’s a drop off.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 15 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm

Tom Homer retires. He has been around forever but only 31.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 15 Jun 2021, 11:20 pm

lostinwales wrote:Tom Homer retires. He has been around forever but only 31.
That's a funny thing. It really does seem like he has been playing a long, long time. Lot's of mileage, I suppose.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 15 Jun 2021, 11:42 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Tom Homer retires. He has been around forever but only 31.
That's a funny thing.  It really does seem like he has been playing a long, long time.  Lot's of mileage, I suppose.

He started pretty young. Playing regular Prem rugby at 18 and winning the golden boot at 21/22. Was on a pretty decent upward trajectory before he started having knee issues and stopped the goal kicking as a result soon after.

Had a decent renaissance at Bath, but he seems like his heart (and body) wasn't really in heading over to France and carrying on.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 16 Jun 2021, 11:20 am

Homer's a player I really liked. His lack of pace meant that he shouldn't have had success as a back three player but he's a good example of someone who got the best out of what he had.

His goal kicking before the knee injuries was genuinely fantastic as well. He had such a high percentage from the tee but unlike some with a high percentage he did it kicking from range.

Simply a good Premiership rugby player, who's had a good career and decided to walk away on his own terms. Fair play to the guy.

king_carlos

doctor_grey, lostinwales, formerly known as Sam and Heaf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 17 Jun 2021, 9:00 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
Filo8 wrote:

He’s confirmed now (Taione). I didn’t know he was that old, most of these islanders do have good longevity though. He would have to be going there as third choice - doesn’t seem like a bad option to have.

Have to disagree on Ethan Lewis. There’s certainly a shortage of quality hookers at the regions (except for Ospreys). Each of the others have one good option but then there’s a drop off.

I have nothing against regions signing foreign players when the need arises. That said Taione has managed 22 minutes for Exeter last season and only played 78 games in total since 2014. Most of those games came in the early part of his career at exeter. There are dozens of free agent hooker (foreign and welsh) who have vastly more experience of pro rugby in the last 3 seasons available. Now he may prove me wrong but this doesn't look like good business for the Ospreys.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 17 Jun 2021, 1:48 pm

Myler didn't seem like great business at first, but he was the best 10 option with Anscombe out. Then again Myler wasn't as old and takes less hits. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 17 Jun 2021, 2:15 pm

Also Myler featured heavily for Saints before the move. All I'm saying is if someone hasn't really played pro rugby in 3 years (as is the case with Taione) your basically relearning the pace of the current game.

But your right, time will tell on that one.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Fri 18 Jun 2021, 10:05 am

LI leavers officially confirmed. Not a huge list and no real shocks, so there will be a fair amount of continuity. Glad we were able to get Naholo off the payroll.

Theo Brophy Clews (retiring)
Harry Elrington
Nic Groom
Tom Homer (retiring)
Charlton Kerr
Andrei Mahu
Motu Matu’u
Waisake Naholo
Vladimir Podrezov

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 18 Jun 2021, 10:12 am

What a disappointment Naholo has been.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Fri 18 Jun 2021, 10:17 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:What a disappointment Naholo has been.

Sure the pay packet dulled the pain, but it must have been hugely frustrating for him. Was injured by the time he arrived, played several (4?) games with a heavily strapped knee and that was all she wrote. He was back playing 40 minutes of an A game in April and could potentially have been selected in the Prem towards the end of the season. I'm guessing they may not have played him, so they could break the contract on an injury clause. May be wrong on that though.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 18 Jun 2021, 10:46 am

If hes that injury prone...Dean will probably try to sign him... Rolling Eyes

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Fri 18 Jun 2021, 11:23 am

Well at least he'll be injury prone, but a bit cheaper now Geordie.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jun 2021, 11:25 am

Cory Hill to...... somewhere overseas.

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 18 Jun 2021, 11:39 am

The Oracle wrote:Cory Hill to...... somewhere overseas.

Surprised by that with Ball moving on. Will be interested to see where he ends up. There's a few Prem clubs that he'd slot into the engine room of well.

Hill got a lot of flack with the Lions stuff in 2017 but he's still a very good second row. Sometimes players that are solid without consistently doing more than that in international rugby then get viewed as nothing more than solid in club rugby as well. Almost like it's contagious. To be solid in international rugby you need to be a very good club player though.

Sort of similar to Charlie Ewels. He was getting some flack on a Tigers board the other day due to being in the England squad and reading it I spent the entire time thinking, "he'd walk into the Tigers boiler room these days". Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 18 Jun 2021, 11:59 am

Hill is a decent second row and will be a blow to the Wales set-up considering the lack of proven talent available (think it leaves AWJ, Rowlands and Beard as the last men standing).

Are there any rumours on where exactly he is looking to go? Likely to be on decent money to justify leaving 15-25 caps on the table.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 18 Jun 2021, 12:03 pm

Margin_Walker wrote:Well at least he'll be injury prone, but a bit cheaper now Geordie.

Deano will be rubbing his hands together...thats his dream signing.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 18 Jun 2021, 12:25 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Hill is a decent second row and will be a blow to the Wales set-up considering the lack of proven talent available (think it leaves AWJ, Rowlands and Beard as the last men standing).

Are there any rumours on where exactly he is looking to go? Likely to be on decent money to justify leaving 15-25 caps on the table.

Gloucester are not far away and are losing 2 2nd rows (Atkins, Garvey). I have no idea if they have replacements lined up.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 Jun 2021, 12:31 pm

king_carlos wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Cory Hill to...... somewhere overseas.

Surprised by that with Ball moving on. Will be interested to see where he ends up. There's a few Prem clubs that he'd slot into the engine room of well.

Hill got a lot of flack with the Lions stuff in 2017 but he's still a very good second row. Sometimes players that are solid without consistently doing more than that in international rugby then get viewed as nothing more than solid in club rugby as well. Almost like it's contagious. To be solid in international rugby you need to be a very good club player though.

Sort of similar to Charlie Ewels. He was getting some flack on a Tigers board the other day due to being in the England squad and reading it I spent the entire time thinking, "he'd walk into the Tigers boiler room these days". Laugh

Ewels is one of those locks that improve those around him without really doing anything of particular note so it's fairly easy to question his selection until you notice what is suddenly lacking when he's not in the side. Louis Deacon was similar. Ewels has had a tendency to tackle upright this season and was lucky to get away with a couple of yellows that could have been red. I'm not his biggest fan but as you say Tigers options aren't what they were though that could change hopefully with the emerging talent.

I thought Hill had a good 6N though he did seem to come in and out the team maybe suggesting that Pivac wasn't sold on him. He's at the age now where if he goes abroad he could put himself in a position to earn more than he could in Wales. Particularly if Pivac isn't a fan and won't give him the continued starting selection. The immediate dropping suggests that his relationship with Pivac and the Wales set up might not have been great anyway.

If he wants to come to the East Midlands he'd be welcome at Tigers. He's got some mobility and he can disrupt the breakdown well for a big bloke. As KC says we could do with a little proven quality in the row.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next