The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 am

SURREY HAVE NAMED A SQUAD OF 14 FOR THIS WEEK’S LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP TRIP TO TAUNTON TO FACE SOMERSET, INCLUDING OVERSEAS BOWLER KEMAR ROACH. Very Happy
Roach missed last week’s draw with Leicestershire through a back complaint but is back in contention for this clash in the West Country. He replaces Reece Topley in the group, who is rested as part of his managed return to first-class cricket.
The rest of last week’s team remain in the squad as well as Gus Atkinson, Will Jacks & Daniel Moriarty.
There is still no place in the squad for Ben Geddes, Connor McKerr, Ryan Patel, Liam Plunkett, Laurie Evans, Jade Dernbach or James Taylor.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ollie Pope
Kemar Roach
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
Looking at Somerset's results so far we definitely signed the wrong Overton brother. Sad
would still like the club to tell us what is going on with Plunkett Headscratch
This is the last game before the Currans and Roy return so certain players will need to up their game.
Baring any late injuries i would assume the usual suspects will be on drink duties.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Thu May 13, 2021 4:23 am

Thanks, JimBob.

Yeah, I assume the usual trio will be on our bench. Somerset have ''rested'' Leach which suggests the track won't be helpful to spin. However, I reckon I would be overthinking it to say Virdi will miss out.

Ex Surrey man Davies also absent for the hosts due to ''having a minor operation''. Erm

Don't know about Plunkett. I'm going to next week's match and will see if I can find out anything then.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 14, 2021 1:20 am

no play possible on day 1 SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP 1f4a6

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 pm

No play before lunch on what is officially day 2. Inspection at 12:30.

Losing so much time may influence the XI we select (assuming the game starts at some point). Just possibly Jacks for Virdi? However, I would stick with the expected side, particularly as we won't know whether we're batting or bowling when the team sheets are handed in.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri May 14, 2021 9:35 pm

I see Richard Gould is moving onto Bristol City, a loss for Surrey that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 pm

https://twitter.com/georgedobell1/status/1393165988212973569?s=21

Somerset clearly after a result...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 14, 2021 11:10 pm

Play to start at 2pm. 67 overs in the day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 14, 2021 11:32 pm

guildfordbat wrote:No play before lunch on what is officially day 2. Inspection at 12:30.

Losing so much time may influence the XI we select (assuming the game starts at some point). Just possibly Jacks for Virdi? However, I would stick with the expected side, particularly as we won't know whether we're batting or bowling when the team sheets are handed in.
Good shout on virdi missing out Guildford

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 pm

JDizzle wrote:https://twitter.com/georgedobell1/status/1393165988212973569?s=21

Somerset clearly after a result...
WOW

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm

As I half wondered, Virdi misses out as Jacks comes in.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 14, 2021 11:39 pm

Somerset win toss and bowl Yikes

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Fri May 14, 2021 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 pm

tail starts at 11 Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 pm

More Overton's in the Surrey line-up than the Somerset one!

Craig missing is a big loss
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 14, 2021 11:47 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Somersset win toss and bowl Yikes

No surprise there given the look of the wicket (thanks for the photo, JD) and that the best chance of a positive result is skittling the batting side within the overs remaining today. Still subject to the weather behaving from now on which isn't too likely.

All we can do from here is bat the 67 overs sensibly and fairly positively today and then reassess tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat May 15, 2021 1:35 am

Apparently Craig and Leach are rested on the request of England. Suggests they will both be involved come the first Test vs NZ.

Craig is a big loss. Gregory, Davey and De Lange are all decent operators but not in Overton’s class.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 15, 2021 2:02 am

50 for third degree clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 am

Fifth score of 50 in seven innings now Burns, yet to go on which seems like a common trend throughout his career.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 2:23 am

Soul Requiem wrote:Fifth score of 50 in seven innings now Burns, yet to go on which seems like a common trend throughout his career.

Hi Soul - yes, that's right. It's also been a common comment of mine over the years. Smile

That said, he's held on here in tough conditions and gone on well so far. A ton in these circumstances would make a strong case for an England recall.

116/1 at tea. Certainly Surrey's session. I saw the opening overs and was impressed by Davey. He had Stoneman all at sea more than once and appeared unlucky not to get him lbw.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 2:34 am

JDizzle wrote:Apparently Craig and Leach are rested on the request of England. Suggests they will both be involved come the first Test vs NZ.

Craig is a big loss. Gregory, Davey and De Lange are all decent operators but not in Overton’s class.

Hi JD - the Somerset commentator (sorry, didn't catch his name) said that about COve although he added that England seemed comfortable about him playing the next CC match after a break now.
Nothing was said about Leach, at least not when I was listening. I had the impression that it was Somerset's decision to leave him out for this match. Leach was referred to on the Somerset official site yesterday as being ''rested'' when their 13 man squad was named. Unlike Leach, COve was in the original 13 man squad. To my mind, Leach was more dropped than anything else - admittedly, the track would have been a (significant) factor.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 15, 2021 2:36 am

Good to see that clubber der lange has come out of retirement to bowl for Somerset Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 15, 2021 2:53 am

Amla picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 2:56 am

Disastrous start for Surrey after tea.

Amla shovels a short leg side delivery from Gregory down Byrom's throat on the boundary and then Burns pushes the ball from de Lange down off the bottom of his bat and it bounces back to clip the top of off stump. Unlucky, naive or typical? Answers to Soul!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 15, 2021 2:58 am

Burns so unlucky Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 3:04 am

Although Gregory had a large chunk of good fortune with Amla's dismissal, that was his 300th first class wicket. A fine effort by a very decent and committed player who often goes beneath the radar.

About a decade ago, he was captaining the England under 19 side and it was thought he had a Test career ahead of him, mainly as a batsman. That's not how things have worked out but nonetheless he shouldn't be too disappointed.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat May 15, 2021 4:14 am

guildfordbat wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Apparently Craig and Leach are rested on the request of England. Suggests they will both be involved come the first Test vs NZ.

Hi JD - the Somerset commentator (sorry, didn't catch his name) said that about COve although he added that England seemed comfortable about him playing the next CC match after a break now.
Nothing was said about Leach, at least not when I was listening. I had the impression that it was Somerset's decision to leave him out for this match. Leach was referred to on the Somerset official site yesterday as being ''rested'' when their 13 man squad was named. Unlike Leach, COve was in the original 13 man squad. To my mind, Leach was more dropped than anything else - admittedly, the track would have been a (significant) factor.

Thanks for that Guildford. It does make sense about Leach looking at the track and given it is a three day game.
I did also see that Overton was likely to play next week vs Gloucs in the crunch game - he did bowl a hell of a lot of overs vs Hampshire last week.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat May 15, 2021 5:12 am

Good day for Surrey that I’d say - not out of the woods yet, but 190-4 on a green top on a wet day is decent work
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 5:52 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Good day for Surrey that I’d say - not out of the woods yet, but 190-4 on a green top on a wet day is decent work

Mixed feelings. Don't disagree with Olly's view but it could have been better. Amla's dismissal was horrid whilst Pope went into top gear too soon and gifted Abell his wicket. That's leaving aside how Burns got out.

Furthermore, Somerset end the day with the only bonus point. Some weather forecasts suggest there might not be any more play. If so, winning the toss was definitely Abell's best move.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 7:38 am

guildfordbat wrote:Although Gregory had a large chunk of good fortune with Amla's dismissal, that was his 300th first class wicket. A fine effort by a very decent and committed player who often goes beneath the radar.

About a decade ago, he was captaining the England under 19 side and it was thought he had a Test career ahead of him, mainly as a batsman. That's not how things have worked out but nonetheless he shouldn't be too disappointed.

Not too wide of what Lewis Gregory himself said after play as on the BBC website:
''300 poles seemed a long way off at the start of my career. I only wish I could have scored more runs to go with them.
I probably got that wicket with one of the worst balls I bowled, but it was still Hashim Amla and that means something.
''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 am

guildfordbat wrote:Disastrous start for Surrey after tea.

Amla shovels a short leg side delivery from Gregory down Byrom's throat on the boundary and then Burns pushes the ball from de Lange down off the bottom of his bat and it bounces back to clip the top of off stump. Unlucky, naive or typical? Answers to Soul!

A bit of all three I'd say. You see dismissals like that all the time and I always think the batsman should be doing better. Easy to say from my chair but once the ball hits the bat he should be using his left leg as added protection.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 15, 2021 10:06 pm

Foakes and Smith (he's definitely one to keep an eye on) take the score beyond 200 and get an equalising bonus point before rain stops play.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 am

And that's it for the day. Just as well we got on for those few overs this morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 16, 2021 2:54 am

so frustrating mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 16, 2021 2:55 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Disastrous start for Surrey after tea.

A bit of all three I'd say. You see dismissals like that all the time and I always think the batsman should be doing better. Easy to say from my chair but once the ball hits the bat he should be using his left leg as added protection.
oh yeah

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 pm

Well that was a rather damp squib

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down