The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+3
James100
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 11 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm

Surrey have named a 15 man squad ahead of their return to LV= County Championship action on Sunday against Somerset at Taunton. Erm
Oliie Pope and Ben foakes are with the England test team ,whilst Sam Curran, Jason Roy and Reece Topley are with the England one day squad preparing for the mighty Holland.
Ben Geddes, Tom Lawes , Conor Mckerr and Dan Moriarty are named in the squad for the first time this season.
Matthew Dunn and James Taylor remain on the treatment table.
There is no place in the squad for Nico Reifer
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Ben Geddes
Will Jacks
Tom Lawes
Conor McKerr
Dan Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Cameron Steel
Amar Virdi
Dan Worrall
With 3 spinners in the squad 4 including Jacks ,you would have assume at least two will play.
maybe Geddes to play as we seem a batsman short.
so Maybe Lawes, Mckerr , Moriarty and Steel to miss out though it could be virdi Headscratch
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun 2022, 6:47 pm

Hi JimBob - just been looking at the Club site and scratching my head as to who will miss out. 

I'll guess wildly that Geddes, Lawes, McKerr and Virdi will be on drinks duty. 

Dunn (tendon, following rib injury) hopes to be playing in the RL50 while Taylor (back) will be out until September at best. Kimber is also crocked although I don't know any details.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 9:39 am

Just one thing about the Surrey squad. No Jordan. Not surprised as the Club have only bigged him up as Blast skipper. However, I've never seen anything in which him playing Championship cricket was ruled out. Disappointing given how many are missing for this match and how fit he seems in the Blast.

As for Somerset, they've named a 13 man squad with a useful looking seam attack. COverton, Siddle, Davey and Gregory plus Green if he avoids drinks duty. Headband Warrior Brooks has just gone on loan to Sussex whilst young speedster Baker (think Olly rates him) is injured. Aussie batter Renshaw is playing for their A team in Sri Lanka.

Somerset are 8th in the table but should be higher than that imo given their players. Their form has picked up in the Blast. All in all, I'm not too confident although that's par for the course!  Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 12 Jun 2022, 10:45 am

Cameron Steel plays ahead of either spinner Headscratch

James100

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 12 Jun 2022, 10:52 am

Cameron Steel playing ahead of both Moriarty and Virdi is a ridiculous selection
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 10:59 am

James100 wrote:Cameron Steel plays ahead of either spinner Headscratch

Good to have you here again, James. At the recent forum meeting someone asked Alec Stewart if Virdi and Moriarty should go out on loan. Although Stewie twice said he understood the question, he didn't really answer it. Instead, he emphasised the bowling ability of Jacks and stressed we had four spinners which included Steel. That gave me the feeling that Steel was at least under consideration for this game, particularly as Stewie referred to Virdi and Moriarty as ''one dimensional cricketers''. He said that was ''with respect'' although it didn't seem overly respectful!

JimBob - we both get a different 3 out of 4 with our drinks duty selections, that ain't bad.  Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 11:06 am

Somerset win toss and bat. That must be the right decision in this weather. They leave out Bartlett and Carlos' man Hildreth from their squad.

Frankie Worrall starts with a maiden to Green.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 12 Jun 2022, 11:33 am

guildfordbat wrote:

Good to have you here again, James. At the recent forum meeting someone asked Alec Stewart if Virdi and Moriarty should go out on loan. Although Stewie twice said he understood the question, he didn't really answer it. Instead, he emphasised the bowling ability of Jacks and stressed we had four spinners which included Steel. That gave me the feeling that Steel was at least under consideration for this game, particularly as Stewie referred to Virdi and Moriarty as ''one dimensional cricketers''. He said that was ''with respect'' although it didn't seem overly respectful!

JimBob - we both get a different 3 out of 4 with our drinks duty selections, that ain't bad.  Wink

That's very bizarre from Stewart, by those standards Topley and Worrall are one-dimensional cricketers which hasn't stopped them from getting game time (and doing well!)

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 11:57 am

James100 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

That's very bizarre from Stewart, by those standards Topley and Worrall are one-dimensional cricketers which hasn't stopped them from getting game time (and doing well!)

Yes, it didn't come across convincingly. I think what Stewart was trying to get over was that Jacks is an under rated spinner - he referred to how well he did at Beckenham - and, unlike Virdi and Moriarty, is also a fine batsman. Therefore, ''the team comes first'' (he said and emphasised that) and so they will have to wait for an opportunity which should come later this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm

Anyway, a good start for Surrey. Somerset currently 40/3 with a wicket each for Clark, Worrall and JOverton. An early bonus point for JimBob!

I'm less upset than many about Virdi and Moriarty although that will change as soon as we are no longer topping the table.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 12 Jun 2022, 12:48 pm

I've been watching the live stream this morning and thought that, despite the wickets, Surrey have been quite loose. Worrall's bowled well and consistently but the others have struggled to hit a line and length, though have bowled a good number of dangerous deliveries.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 1:01 pm

Tbf, Worrall has been a lot better than I expected and far better than several Gloucs supporters told me he would be!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2022, 2:47 pm

8 down with the score under 100 Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 12 Jun 2022, 3:38 pm

Somerset are Somerset-ing with some late order runs - although Craig Overton retires hurt, being hit on the head by his own brother!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2022, 3:59 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:8 down with the score under 100 Very Happy
kiss of death Sorry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2022, 4:39 pm

3 bowling points taken Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2022, 5:41 pm

Patel really does get out to some awful deliveries picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:20 pm

Amla gets a life

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:38 pm

56 for 1 at stumps

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:41 pm

Having lost the toss and being put into the field, to be 124 behind at the end of day 1 with 9 wickets in hand is about as good as we could've asked for (And cynically, having knocked off one of their main bowlers too...)

Huge opportunity for the bats to get stuck in tomorrow
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:49 pm

Been out since lunchtime and unable to watch.

Glad we ended only 1 down - gut feel is that puts us nicely ahead facing 180. I blame JimBob for the 9th wicket jinx!!

Although we should get a first innings lead, I suspect we'll only have 2 or 3 batting points. Going at a slow tick currently.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 13 Jun 2022, 10:53 am

Getting batting points will be a lot easier now Aldridge and De Lange are in as concussions subs for COverton and Davey. They just can’t keep the pressure on with the ball like those two can.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 2:29 pm

JDizzle wrote:Getting batting points will be a lot easier now Aldridge and De Lange are in as concussions subs for COverton and Davey. They just can’t keep the pressure on with the ball like those two can.

That said and understood, the two subs have a wicket each, the only ones taken so far today. Geddes for a slow 21 to De Lange and Smith for single figures to Aldridge. Burns has a ton and is still going.  clap

Surrey move to 182/3 off 66 and take the lead. Amla was unwell and hasn't appeared (yet) today, so we may be effectively 4 down. As I said last night, I don't see us scooping up many batting points. 2 seem more likely than 3 atm unless we can get a partnership going and up the rate.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 2:33 pm

And now Burns gone to van der Merwe - he often does something against Surrey! - for 113. 
188/4. Steel joins Jacks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 3:03 pm

De Lange seems to be trying to prove a point to JD with figures of 9-7-8-1.  Smile

guildfordbat

JDizzle and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 4:00 pm

Decent partnership between Jacks and Steel sees Surrey to 247/4 at tea.

20 overs left to get 53 more and 3 bowling points. Should be comfortably on ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 13 Jun 2022, 4:19 pm

De Lange now has bowled 11–8-12-1. Possibly the most un De Lange figures I could imagine! I would have believed him taking a 5fer but going at 4s, but didn’t see this coming at all.

It’s impossible to have back up bowlers to replace Overton and Davey, who have been two of the outstanding bowlers in the County game the past few years. Somerset have used 8 bowlers so far too, and that is without Goldsworthy and Green who are decent part timers.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm

5 down mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Jun 2022, 4:55 pm

Happy to see new favourite cricketer Will Jacks pass 50 - felt he was batting far too low earlier in the season, and I'd argue him and Smith should really be batting ahead of Geddes here too. But alas, him and Clark seem to be progressing us towards 300 and that batting point nicely, and the lead is upto 108 in the game with 5 wickets left (Amla dependant!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2022, 5:02 pm

in other news Conor McKerr is captaining the stiffs against Gloucestershire today
Josh Blake is closing in on a century Fingers Crossed

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Tue 14 Jun 2022, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 5:36 pm

De Lange and van der Merwe have both bowled 15 overs.  
1/39 for De L and 1/33 for v d M. 
Bizarrely though, v d M has bowled no maidens whilst De L has bowled 8, all early on.
JD is proved right about De L not lasting the distance and gets the last laugh!  Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 5:46 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Happy to see new favourite cricketer Will Jacks pass 50 - felt he was batting far too low earlier in the season, and I'd argue him and Smith should really be batting ahead of Geddes here too. But alas, him and Clark seem to be progressing us towards 300 and that batting point nicely, and the lead is upto 108 in the game with 5 wickets left (Amla dependant!)

Jacks just gone for 88. A valuable knock in terms of both runs and momentum. We comfortably took 3 batting bonus points in the end (which should always be the case if you bat 110 overs) but that looked in doubt for a time with Geddes and Steel pootling about.

Don't think it'll be long before England come calling for Jacks. All formats open.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Jun 2022, 5:58 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Happy to see new favourite cricketer Will Jacks pass 50 - felt he was batting far too low earlier in the season, and I'd argue him and Smith should really be batting ahead of Geddes here too. But alas, him and Clark seem to be progressing us towards 300 and that batting point nicely, and the lead is upto 108 in the game with 5 wickets left (Amla dependant!)

Jacks just gone for 88. A valuable knock in terms of both runs and momentum. We comfortably took 3 batting bonus points in the end (which should always be the case if you bat 110 overs) but that looked in doubt for a time with Geddes and Steel pootling about.

Don't think it'll be long before England come calling for Jacks. All formats open.

There is a more than 99% chance I will put forth his name for a tour of Pakistan coming up later this year... Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 6:05 pm

JDizzle wrote:De Lange now has bowled 11–8-12-1. Possibly the most un De Lange figures I could imagine! I would have believed him taking a 5fer but going at 4s, but didn’t see this coming at all.

It’s impossible to have back up bowlers to replace Overton and Davey, who have been two of the outstanding bowlers in the County game the past few years. Somerset have used 8 bowlers so far too, and that is without Goldsworthy and Green who are decent part timers.

I rate Davey a lot but he seems one of the unluckiest cricketers whenever I see him. Either regularly beating the bat but not getting a nick or having a catch put down. And to take the biscuit - getting concussion here!

I also like Green, his attitude really. Seems a very good team man. Saw him in a Blast game at the Oval last year. He didn't get to bat or bowl but gave it everything in the field helping Somerset to win with an outstanding boundary catch for the first wicket and a straightforward run out for the last. Pleased he got to skipper Somerset in the RL 50 before getting covid. Thought that was a good move to give him the captaincy.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Jun 2022, 6:21 pm

Excellent day for Surrey, great work by Burns and later Jacks/Clark - and also at the end to make sure we saw out the day, thus giving Amla (hopefully) the chance to resume his innings tomorrow. Lead over 200, Clark/Atkinson who can hold the bat, Amla still to come back in...try and bat towards lunch, get that lead as high as possible, and into them with the ball. Somerset looked pretty ropey in the field in that last half hour or so
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2022, 6:22 pm

200 lead at stumps, but will need Amla to bat again

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 Jun 2022, 6:55 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Excellent day for Surrey, great work by Burns and later Jacks/Clark - and also at the end to make sure we saw out the day, thus giving Amla (hopefully) the chance to resume his innings tomorrow. Lead over 200, Clark/Atkinson who can hold the bat, Amla still to come back in...try and bat towards lunch, get that lead as high as possible, and into them with the ball. Somerset looked pretty ropey in the field in that last half hour or so

Spot on.

I would guess Amla should be ok - he's tested negative for covid anyway. Even without him tomorrow - and apologies if this turns out to be a dreadful jinx! - I wouldn't be too concerned. With a lead of 200+ and surely some more to come with us still batting in the morning, it's going to be a brave or foolish person betting against us winning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Jun 2022, 11:26 am

Awful start to the day Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Jun 2022, 11:28 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Excellent day for Surrey, great work by Burns and later Jacks/Clark - and also at the end to make sure we saw out the day, thus giving Amla (hopefully) the chance to resume his innings tomorrow. Lead over 200, Clark/Atkinson who can hold the bat, Amla still to come back in...try and bat towards lunch, get that lead as high as possible, and into them with the ball. Somerset looked pretty ropey in the field in that last half hour or so

Spot on.

I would guess Amla should be ok - he's tested negative for covid anyway. Even without him tomorrow - and apologies if this turns out to be a dreadful jinx! - I wouldn't be too concerned. With a lead of 200+ and surely some more to come with us still batting in the morning, it's going to be a brave or foolish person betting against us winning.

Gulp! Shocked  Never saw that jinx coming!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Jun 2022, 11:51 am

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Spot on.

Gulp! Shocked  Never saw that jinx coming!
warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Jun 2022, 1:17 pm

As we feared we didn't have a big enough lead
now sadly it's game on

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Jun 2022, 2:14 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:As we feared we didn't have a big enough lead
now sadly it's game on  

It's not as good today as we would have liked or might even have expected. However, I wouldn't worry too much just yet, JimBob. They still need about another 90 to make parity with 2 down. 

You've got 6 bonus point (Somerset got a measly 1) and I reckon Surrey will still get the win, although it won't be by an innings and you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Jun 2022, 3:58 pm

Look at this way now, JimBob.

It's a one innings game over 4 sessions and the Cidermen start on minus 10/5.  Smile

The fat lady ain't singing yet but she'll have set her satnav to Ciderbad ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 14 Jun 2022, 4:56 pm

Nice knock from Goldsworthy. I like him a lot - a fighter.

I do appreciate the ECB App being unable to deal with concussion subs so listing Somerset as having 13 batters. I think they will need all of them!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Jun 2022, 6:03 pm

lead goes past 100 Yikes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 Jun 2022, 6:42 pm

117 lead at stumps with 2 wkts left

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 14 Jun 2022, 7:26 pm

Still in the driving seat, but a poor day's cricket from Surrey, need to get these 2 wickets for less than 30 in the morning or it could be a tricky 'chase'

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Jun 2022, 8:31 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Still in the driving seat, but a poor day's cricket from Surrey, need to get these 2 wickets for less than 30 in the morning or it could be a tricky 'chase'

Yep, day 3  - normally ''moving day'' - won by Somerset. However, the game had been moved so much in our favour over the first two days we're still ahead and I expect us to triumph tomorrow. Not as comfortably as it should have been though.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Jun 2022, 9:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
thegooch7 wrote:Still in the driving seat, but a poor day's cricket from Surrey, need to get these 2 wickets for less than 30 in the morning or it could be a tricky 'chase'

Yep, day 3  - normally ''moving day'' - won by Somerset. However, the game had been moved so much in our favour over the first two days we're still ahead and I expect us to triumph tomorrow. Not as comfortably as it should have been though.

Yes if we harbour realistic title hopes, we should be coming away with a relatively comfortable victory tomorrow. Anything less will be a severe disappointment
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun 2022, 11:56 am

No wickets yet this morning and Somerset take their lead beyond 150. Very mad.

Gregory on 89 with Siddle supporting ably on 23.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next