The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2021

+22
VTR
BamBam
hampo17
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
GSC
lostinwales
Mind the windows Tino.
sirfredperry
msp83
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Jetty
Soul Requiem
Dolphin Ziggler
king_carlos
KP_fan
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
alfie
guildfordbat
Duty281
26 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 - Page 19 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 May 2021, 9:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

2nd June-14th June: Two tests v New Zealand

23rd June-26th June: Three T20s v Sri Lanka
29th June-4th July: Three ODIs v Sri Lanka

8th July-13th July: Three ODIs v Pakistan
16th July-20th July: Three T20s V Pakistan

4th August-14th September: Five Tests v India

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 - Page 19 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 15 Jun 2021, 11:55 pm

If I have one notable cricket opinion, it’s not wanting to see Bairstow in tests at the moment!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 - Page 19 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by king_carlos Wed 16 Jun 2021, 11:27 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:If I have one notable cricket opinion, it’s not wanting to see Bairstow in tests at the moment!

As a bat, yep. As a keeper he would have been a better bet with the gloves than Bracey.

Bracey with the gloves is about where Bairstow was before his vast improvement whilst in the Test side. Given we went through the frustration of seeing Bairstow improve on the job I'd have preferred the present day much improved glove man that is Bairstow as a stop gap instead of Bracey being shoe horned in.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 1:51 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/19/olly-stone-out-for-season-with-stress-fracture-as-england-suffer-ashes-blow

Terrible recurrent injury to Stone. Out of the summer games and a doubt for the Ashes. Horrible news for him that this keeps happening and is hampering his career.

From an England perspective this may leave Wood as the only experienced true pace option for the series against India, with Archer's fitness still in doubt as he recovers from surgery.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 19 Jun 2021, 4:29 pm

Such a shame for Stone. Stress fractures are so difficult for bowlers to deal with. Many do come back with Cummins being a great example but being 27 Stone doesn't have the same time on his hands that Cummins did.

Stokes being back for the India series will help as he can do a decent Wagner impression on flatter decks.

Archer, Wood and Stone all having injury issues is a huge problem for the Ashes though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Mon 21 Jun 2021, 2:24 pm

king_carlos wrote:Such a shame for Stone. Stress fractures are so difficult for bowlers to deal with. Many do come back with Cummins being a great example but being 27 Stone doesn't have the same time on his hands that Cummins did.

Stokes being back for the India series will help as he can do a decent Wagner impression on flatter decks.

Archer, Wood and Stone all having injury issues is a huge problem for the Ashes though.

Was reading that Archer will start bowling again in a fortnight. Wow... I thought he was out for 3 months. I would expect him to play against India then.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 Jun 2021, 6:07 pm

A huge shame for Stone, but not wholly unexpected. I really really hope they don’t rush Archer back, let him get fully right even if that means missing the summer.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 22 Jun 2021, 5:55 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A huge shame for Stone, but not wholly unexpected. I really really hope they don’t rush Archer back, let him get fully right even if that means missing the summer.

Agreed. Try to hurry him back and next thing will be he breaks down again during the India series and that might be two fast men down for the Ashes tour...

Plenty of good seam bowling for the home matches. It is the tour of Australia for which they'll want some seriously quick options - and with Stone out and Wood always seemingly close to going down with a niggle no need to take risks.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Jun 2021, 10:24 am

Didn't realise that Saqib Mahmood was also injured, which is a shame from a white ball perspective with Archer out.

T20s start tonight against Sri Lanka - obviously no Stokes or Archer, so some opportunities for squad players, and guys like Malan/Morgan who've been terribly out of nick in domestic stuff to get back into form.

Will MacPherson suggests Livingstone will get the nod, without actually reporting it.

I'd guess;

Roy
Buttler
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Surran
Turran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood

Woakes and Willey return to the squad, so maybe one of those plays as a new ball bowler instead of Turran.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 23 Jun 2021, 10:42 am

Surely Woakes must be allowed on the field at some point Smile

Makes sense to have Livingstone getting a shot.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 23 Jun 2021, 6:37 pm

England: Jason Roy, Jos Buttler (wk), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow, Eoin Morgan (capt), Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood.

Sri Lanka: Danushka Gunathilaka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Perera (capt/wk), Kusal Mendis, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Isuru Udana, Akila Dhananjaya, Dushmantha Chameera, Nuwan Pradeep.

Stokes for Livingstone and Archer for Jordan would make that England's strongest side in my opinion. Two big losses though obviously.

England should dispatch a weak Sri Lanka white ball side pretty easily here.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 23 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm

Not really been watching it, but SL 84/5 after 14. Seems to indicate England aren't being massively stretched.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Jun 2021, 7:59 pm

Shanaka in the midst of one of the worst t20 knocks I’ve seen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 23 Jun 2021, 8:00 pm

Sri Lanka captain Kusal Perera: "We have got six batsmen and some quality bowlers.

"We're not up to the mark as a one-day and T20 side, so the players are trying to get their form."

It might read as defeatist but I think that's just a fair answer to where this Sri Lanka side are from Perera before the game. They are a white ball side that is really searching for some players.

Matthews and Malinga phasing out feels like the final players from that stronger era of Sri Lankan cricket departing.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Jun 2021, 8:02 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Shanaka in the midst of one of the worst t20 knocks I’ve seen

(Suddenly goes 4, 6 next two balls - of course)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Didn't realise that Saqib Mahmood was also injured, which is a shame from a white ball perspective with Archer out.

T20s start tonight against Sri Lanka - obviously no Stokes or Archer, so some opportunities for squad players, and guys like Malan/Morgan who've been terribly out of nick in domestic stuff to get back into form.

Will MacPherson suggests Livingstone will get the nod, without actually reporting it.

I'd guess;

Roy
Buttler
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Surran
Turran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood

Woakes and Willey return to the squad, so maybe one of those plays as a new ball bowler instead of Turran.

Ooft did Malan’s county blast form carry over in that brief stay, looks in poor nick - hopefully can refind his form in the remaining two games this series

Buttler continues his incredible opening form, not even a discussion anymore that he opens
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 23 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Didn't realise that Saqib Mahmood was also injured, which is a shame from a white ball perspective with Archer out.

I'd guess;

Roy
Buttler
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Surran
Turran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood

Ooft did Malan’s county blast form carry over in that brief stay, looks in poor nick - hopefully can refind his form in the remaining two games this series

Buttler continues his incredible opening form, not even a discussion anymore that he opens

Some people would suggest this is Malan back in regular form and it was the start of his IT20 career which was the outlier… Whistle

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Jun 2021, 10:09 pm

JDizzle wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

I'd guess;

Roy
Buttler
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Surran
Turran
Jordan
Rashid
Wood

Some people would suggest this is Malan back in regular form and it was the start of his IT20 career which was the outlier… Whistle

censored censored censored
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:51 am

That is just a little bit uncharitable , JD... Smile

Let Malan have a couple of games before we start declaring his high rating is a fluke, eh ?

Watched highlights. Buttler seemed to enjoy himself. Sri Lanka do not look very good. Can't get too excited over t20 "practice matches" after watching that WTC final...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:40 am

Haha, it was very much tongue in cheek. Malan has plenty of credit in the bank - even if I do believe his domestic T20 record (which is good!) is closer to his ability than his currently ridiculous international record.

But when he fails batting his way in a T20 it will attract more criticism than a Bairstow, for example, as he is likely to have gobbled up some balls so probably won’t get as much rope as a player of that style.

JDizzle

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 24 Jun 2021, 8:05 am

JDizzle wrote:Haha, it was very much tongue in cheek. Malan has plenty of credit in the bank - even if I do believe his domestic T20 record (which is good!) is closer to his ability than his currently ridiculous international record.

But when he fails batting his way in a T20 it will attract more criticism than a Bairstow, for example, as he is likely to have gobbled up some balls so probably won’t get as much rope as a player of that style.

Yeah I thought you were probably having a bit of a wicked chuckle there...

He is exactly the sort of player who gets piled on whenever he has a bad couple of games. But then again I guess Bairstow - and Buttler for that matter - tend to get the same sort of overdone criticism when they fail in other formats. As you say , he has some credits stowed away.

The t20 top six look pretty fixed , injury risk aside : must be a strong case for trying one or two others (like Livingstone) in these games in case one of the regulars gets an untimely knock before the Cup. Morgan has suggested this is likely , I note.

alfie

JDizzle and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Jun 2021, 8:36 am

Livingstone's ability to bowl leg and off spin is pretty handy - even if for an over or two, you'd figure in the UAE (likely host now) we need a second spin option in the side.

You're right Alfie, Sri Lanka do not look good - Hasaranga and Udana looked good options with the ball, and actually don't think there bowling attack is *too* bad, it's really the batting that is the mega issue I'd say
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 24 Jun 2021, 10:46 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Livingstone's ability to bowl leg and off spin is pretty handy - even if for an over or two, you'd figure in the UAE (likely host now) we need a second spin option in the side.

You're right Alfie, Sri Lanka do not look good - Hasaranga and Udana looked good options with the ball, and actually don't think there bowling attack is *too* bad, it's really the batting that is the mega issue I'd say

Not going to win many T20 matches against England, or indeed any competent batting side, defending 130, especially on an OK wicket. Wouldn't even fancy a line-up including Joel Garner, Murali, Hadlee, Akram and McGrath defending that against Buttler and co.

dummy_half

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:05 pm

I don't see the point of batting 1st in T20 when you win the toss. I'd love to know the stats on batting 1st vs batting 2nd in T20. Anybody have the stats?

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:13 pm

Hmmm.... seems like playing away SL has actually won a much higher percentage batting 2nd vs batting 1st, so what do I know Smile

Last edited by AlciG on Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:13 pm

England: 1 Jason Roy, 2 Jonny Bairstow, 3 Dawid Malan, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Sam Billings (wk), 6 Liam Livingstone, 7 Sam Curran, 8 David Willey, 9 Chris Jordan, 10 Adil Rashid, 11 Mark Wood.

Buttler's injured, Billings comes in. Willey in for Woakes. Rare to have games on consecutive days, it's not baseball! Games two and three live on the BBC.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:32 pm

Shame Buttler is injured for the live game on BBC. Sure people would have been looking forward to seeing him bat.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:38 pm

Seriously... why run on that???

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 6:48 pm

Well another easy win for England

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:00 pm

Not a single boundary in that six-over PowerPlay. Excellent aggression and intensity from England in the field, especially in such a low-key event.

Some bad weather on the way, so perhaps the rain will save Sri Lanka?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:02 pm

Not really an advertisement for T20 if SL don't put up more of a fight

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:31 pm

The Dawid Malan as a batsman debate will no doubt rage on with questions of whether he's quite as good as his stats, whether he has the game for a World Cup on the subcontinent, whether playing most his T20is on very flat decks has facilitated the no 1 ranking, etc.

One negative with Malan that probably isn't up for debate is that he's arguably the worst fielder in this T20 squad. They are an exceptional fielding side so that by no doubt means he's Monty or Tuffers. He's certainly the weakest I can think of from the batsman though. From the bowlers perhaps Dilly or Wood are on a similar level.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:44 pm

Can we add 60 onto their score to make a game of it?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:46 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Can we add 60 onto their score to make a game of it?

This is going to be such an easy chase. England could just finish it in 10 over but will probably still take 17

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:47 pm

I get that England want preparation games for the World T20, but I'm not sure they're learning too much from this. ECB's coffers are probably a bit healthier, though.

Have enjoyed Sri Lanka's ultra-enthusiastic effort with the bat.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 24 Jun 2021, 8:07 pm

That's not much of a target... No fun in that for a neutral fan, I'm out. Enjoy the rest of the game guys

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 24 Jun 2021, 8:53 pm

31-3 after the powerplay.

Sri Lanka have bowled really well thus far and are getting plenty from the pitch.

RRR still below 6 so England are still in the drivers seat. A good opportunity for Billings.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 24 Jun 2021, 8:55 pm

35-4 as Roy falls.

Big opportunity for Billings and Livingstone now!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Jun 2021, 9:26 pm

Looks like England made a meal of it...only 5 runs ahead on DLS as the expected rain thunders down.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 24 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm

Surran finishes it with a 6.

Sri Lanka bowled well up front but just didn't have enough runs again.

Livingstone is doing his chances of making the World Cup squad no harm at all.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 24 Jun 2021, 10:31 pm

Would I be wrong in saying that seven of the top eight have opened in T20 cricket, the exception being Morgan?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 24 Jun 2021, 11:21 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Would I be wrong in saying that seven of the top eight have opened in T20 cricket, the exception being Morgan?

I'm not certain about Surran having opened. He definitely batted 3 in the IPL at one stage and has been up the order for Surrey but not sure if he's opened. Strangely I actually have a memory of Turran opening as a pinch hitter for Surrey in T20s but can't remember if Surran has.

Stokes is yet another player that often opens in domestic T20 cricket.

The modern tactics seems to be to get your best players opening to face as many balls as possible in T20. Hence a lot of T20i batsman open for clubs and franchises.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Jun 2021, 11:28 pm

Sam Curran has opened in the IPL, yes

My pre series post on Malan/Morgan being out of form is still true - England will want them to just get a few runs each soon, and I’m sure they will…but it’s just one to keep an eye on, neither have had a good 2021 so far

Livingstone is doing himself no harm
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 25 Jun 2021, 5:38 am

A rather meaningless match in the rain with Sri Lanka's bats again failing to put serious runs on the board - though in fairness to them England bowled rather well.
The tourists bowled better than they batted though, to make something of a contest. Actually a good thing that the England top four contrived to throw their wickets away as it gave Billings and Livingstone a chance to show what they could do under a little bit of pressure...as Olly says , the latter didn't hurt his cause at all - and bowled tidily enough too.

Not too worried about Malan or Morgan yet (although I see BBC HYS has a lot of (predictable) calls for his head Smile t20 tends to be a bit of a raffle even for the best players so I will be more interested to see how Morgan plays in the ODIs , with an eye to the future.

Sam Curran had a handy sort of game...economy , vigorous batting and some neat foot skills...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 25 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

alfie wrote:A rather meaningless match in the rain with Sri Lanka's bats again failing to put serious runs on the board - though in fairness to them England bowled rather well.
The tourists bowled better than they batted though, to make something of a contest. Actually a good thing that the England top four contrived to throw their wickets away as it gave Billings and Livingstone a chance to show what they could do under a little bit of pressure...as Olly says , the latter didn't hurt his cause at all  - and bowled tidily enough too.

Not too worried about Malan or Morgan yet (although I see BBC HYS has a lot of (predictable) calls for his head Smile  t20 tends to be a bit of a raffle even for the best players so I will be more interested to see how Morgan plays in the ODIs , with an eye to the future.

Sam Curran had a handy sort of game...economy , vigorous batting and some neat foot skills...

The BBC HYS on cricket is so depressing at times. Lots of people who seem to have very little knowledge of cricket getting very angry about cricket.

The post that just made me laugh out loud and close the tag on the HYS for this game was someone whining about the BBC showing a feature about Murali bowling England out and calling it 'woke nonsense'. In reality a broadcaster that likely now has very limited rights for previous televised cricket got the rights for one of the best bowlers of all time putting in a great performance early in his career with Richie Benaud commentating and broadcasting it as a feature during a rain delay is apparently woke. God there are some weapons grade morons out there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Jun 2021, 7:39 pm

Ended up 3-0 to England as Sri Lanka's batting failed again. Malan and Bairstow also got some runs.

Can't imagine the ODI series will be much different.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 26 Jun 2021, 9:31 pm

Malan replaces Buttler in the ODI squad.

I'd completely missed the announcement to be honest. Delighted that George Garton is involved though. He seems a real talent if he can stay fit.

A bit surprised Willey has been recalled for the ODIs. I still just struggle to see where he bowls other than the top of the innings. Once the ball stops swinging he will struggle in middle overs against top teams and isn't a death bowler.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Jun 2021, 9:41 am

t20 series was a bit of a mis-match. Sri Lanka , with a couple of established stars now gone from their white ball squad , pretty poor : bowling actually not too bad , but batting awful.
Does showcase the strength in depth of the England list though : Buttler and Roy both missing with injuries ...no problem , move everyone else up a spot or two and off we go without missing a beat... True only the openers actually made any runs this time ; but in t20 two good scores and a few odd boundaries between the rest are enough.
Pleasing to see Malan answer his critics so emphatically. And Woakes using a rare actual appearance to return quite remarkable figures and remind everyone of his worth.
I thought Willey bowled well too : though I note King Carlos' reservations above , I am not against his getting added to the ODI squad. As long as England employ a sixth bowler - as they usually do - his new ball work can justify his presence even if he doesn't bowl out his overs. May not fit in when everyone is available but we know that is a situation that can never be guaranteed. And at least Moeen got off the bench even if he didn't get to do too much.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 28 Jun 2021, 7:46 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57637591

Sri Lanka's squad gets even weaker as Mendis, Gunathilaka and Dickwella have all been suspended and sent home.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Jun 2021, 9:21 pm

Tom Banton currently on one for Somerset against Kent in the blast - sumptuous batting
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 28 Jun 2021, 9:54 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Tom Banton currently on one for Somerset against Kent in the blast - sumptuous batting

He's got so much ability if he can add consistency. A remarkable innings. I think he's just outdone Glenn Phillips for the best innings I've seen in the Blast this year.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next