The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2021

+22
VTR
BamBam
hampo17
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
GSC
lostinwales
Mind the windows Tino.
sirfredperry
msp83
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Jetty
Soul Requiem
Dolphin Ziggler
king_carlos
KP_fan
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
alfie
guildfordbat
Duty281
26 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 - Page 20 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 May 2021, 9:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

2nd June-14th June: Two tests v New Zealand

23rd June-26th June: Three T20s v Sri Lanka
29th June-4th July: Three ODIs v Sri Lanka

8th July-13th July: Three ODIs v Pakistan
16th July-20th July: Three T20s V Pakistan

4th August-14th September: Five Tests v India

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 - Page 20 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Jun 2021, 10:53 am

England bowling first, Malan gone home for personal reasons hopefully all ok

Bairstow
Livingstone
Root
Morgan
Billings
Moeen
Woakes
Surran
Willey
Rashid
Wood
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2021 - Page 20 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2021

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jun 2021, 11:07 am

England probably not expecting too much resistance. Sri Lanka all out for under 200, comfortable chase, all done by 5.

Or maybe Sri Lanka will make a game of it?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 29 Jun 2021, 11:11 am

It's in these situations where Hales continued omission grates. At full strength he'd be down the pecking order on merit now due to outstanding performances from other top batsman but with Roy, Stokes and Buttler all absent Hales would add to the top order here significantly. Burying his face in nose clams shortly before a CWC was absolutely moronic and I had no qualms with him being cut from the squad so ruthlessly then but I do think he's served his time at this point.

It's a big opportunity for Livingstone at the top and Moeen who is playing first and foremost for his batting in that side.

If we are picking 2 left-arm seamers I'd prefer Garton get a go for his extra pace but Surran and Willey do lengthen the batting order which isn't as strong as usual in the top 6.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 Jun 2021, 11:29 am

Facing Sri Lankas batting lineup here must be what it's like to play England overseas
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Jun 2021, 12:24 pm

Sangakkara and Karthik are great addition to the Sky comms lineup
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

alfie and king_carlos like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:25 pm

Olly, your boy is showing his class again today. It's a slight shame that he'll never get the plaudits his all round ability deserves.

Soul Requiem

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:44 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Sangakkara and Karthik are great addition to the Sky comms lineup

Agreed. Sanga talks about the game about as well as any former player. Karthik was excellent during the India vs England Test series and I'm glad he's been picked up.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:47 pm

Only two batsmen with significant scores and they both needed a helping of luck to get that far. England, especially Wood and Woakes, have put it in the right areas and Sri Lanka can't deal with it.

This 8th wicket stand has seen some rather dubious running between the wickets.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:48 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Olly, your boy is showing his class again today. It's a slight shame that he'll never get the plaudits his all round ability deserves.

In the Test side at home I think he's definitely started getting the plaudits he deserves. The batting depth he offers in a fragile batting side combined with his skill with the Dukes ball makes him absolutely vital at home and I think most have recognised it now.

He has been strangely overlooked by many in England's excellent white ball machine though. He is one of the best powerplay bowlers in the world which is vital for England. Between Bairstow and Roy batting, then Woakes bowling it's pretty rare that England are outdone in the PP.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:56 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Olly, your boy is showing his class again today. It's a slight shame that he'll never get the plaudits his all round ability deserves.

He'll always be getting the plaudits in these quarters! Very Happy

An absolute demon in home conditions
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Tue 29 Jun 2021, 2:13 pm

England should just treat the match as a T20 match and finish this off in 15 overs at most.
SL really not putting up a real fight so I don't see how England gain/learn anything from these matches.

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jun 2021, 2:15 pm

Remarkable figures for Woakes...hope he can finish the innings now and get his Michelle...

Alas no...but still a great bowling performance clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jun 2021, 2:22 pm

Billings not bad with the Direct hit run outs ... Pretty good for an off duty wicket keeper Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Jun 2021, 2:23 pm

Some 'entertaining' running between the wickets. Excellent figures for Woakes.

186 should be a doddle for England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 29 Jun 2021, 2:34 pm

alfie wrote:Billings not bad with the Direct hit run outs ... Pretty good for an off duty wicket keeper Smile

There was some footage of Ricky Ponting putting the Delhi Daredevils through some of his infamous fielding drills before this years IPL and Billings really stood out in it. He's absolutely rapid across the ground which always helps with fielding and he's got a very accurate arm. Yet another brilliant fielder in this England white ball unit.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:03 pm

Looks as if Bairstow wants to make sure this gets done early so he can go watch the football...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:15 pm

I think in modern cricketing parlance this is known as chopping the head off the chase...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm

Not the greatest innings that from Bairstow, once he'd got the team motoring think a slight squeeze on the brake would have been beneficial. It won't matter against Sri Lanka but we've lost games from similar positions in the past.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:32 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Not the greatest innings that from Bairstow, once he'd got the team motoring think a slight squeeze on the brake would have been beneficial. It won't matter against Sri Lanka but we've lost games from similar positions in the past.

Perhaps he forgot this wasn't another t20 Smile

Bit unlucky really with that chop on. Might , as you say , have been advisable to throttle back a little after losing his partner ; but that's not really the way England play this format. And I think they have this chase well in hand.

Gives Morgan - who could do with some runs - a nice platform and time to play an innings...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:38 pm

This match is done and dusted. We saw however against India in a couple of the ODI's that a drastic collapse followed a blistering start.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:53 pm

Still not happening for Morgan. Bit of a frenetic innings today : had he thought to "bash" his way back into form ? Seems rather a waste of an opportunity to bat with little time pressure .

Not exactly worried yet about the skipper. But I'd like to see him play a solid hand or two so he's not going into the serious event doubting his own game a bit ...

Billings gone now and they're rather letting Sri Lanka back into this. The tourists bowling really isn't too bad : it's their batting that is totally limp.

80/4 and 37 overs to get another 106. So plenty of time for Moeen to delight his fans/feed his critics Smile

Nearly did the latter immediately! Really should have been caught for an inglorious duck then. Settle down , England.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 29 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm

Root 62 off 69 with only two fours. Vintage Root.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 29 Jun 2021, 6:22 pm

JDizzle wrote:Root 62 off 69 with only two fours. Vintage Root.

There's a decent, albeit largely pointless argument he's England's greatest ODI batsman.

Comparing across different eras is nigh on impossible with differences in pitches, fielding regs, bats, etc though. Trescothick and Pietersen's raw numbers don't quite stack up for instance but both are a fair way ahead of their English contemporaries when considering both average and strike rate.

king_carlos

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 01 Jul 2021, 9:37 am

Lovely sunny day here 20 or so miles south of the Oval. Heading there later and expecting plenty of runs if England bat first ... and even some if Sri Lanka have first dig.

This game has been a long time coming. Bought the tickets for myself and some friends late 2019. Originally intended opposition was Ireland last summer, that went t*ts up due to covid and tickets were carried forward to today (although could have opted for a refund).

First thoughts were that we had done well in getting Sri Lanka for the price of Ireland, far from sure now given their poor form and self-inflicted difficulties with three of their team sent home.

Ah well, cricket, friends and some sun - what could be better? Oh yes! Ale Very Happy

guildfordbat

Pal Joey, JDizzle, alfie, Duty281 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 01 Jul 2021, 10:21 am

guildfordbat wrote:Lovely sunny day here 20 or so miles south of the Oval. Heading there later and expecting plenty of runs if England bat first ... and even some if Sri Lanka have first dig.

This game has been a long time coming. Bought the tickets for myself and some friends late 2019. Originally intended opposition was Ireland last summer, that went t*ts up due to covid and tickets were carried forward to today (although could have opted for a refund).

First thoughts were that we had done well in getting Sri Lanka for the price of Ireland, far from sure now given their poor form and self-inflicted difficulties with three of their team sent home.

Ah well, cricket, friends and some sun - what could be better?  Oh yes! Ale Very Happy

Not jealous

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 01 Jul 2021, 1:11 pm

Woakes still on course to be the most rested cricket player in the world. Sri Lanka continue to be utterly hopeless with the bat. They've also lost both their reviews inside two overs, which must be some sort of record?

6/2.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 01 Jul 2021, 3:33 pm

Rashid has 15 ODI wickets at 43 at an economy of 5.94 since the World Cup final. It’s a bit of an odd one as it seems to be coming out nicely, his googly looks good - which is what his shoulder most effected - and is generally bowling well. And the ODIs have been so stop start since that great day.

But that role is possibly the one England don’t really have a competent back up in, so hopefully the numbers catch up with the performance.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 01 Jul 2021, 9:29 pm

England won with ease. Perhaps a little poor to let Sri Lanka make 241 after they were 21/4, field placings were quite negative and allowed a lot of easy singles, but the chase was a doddle with Roy, Root and Morgan all making half-centuries.

The series is won for England and they should make it six wins from six in this mostly forgettable limited-overs run against Sri Lanka on Sunday.

Not looking good for Sri Lanka. These ODI games make up qualification for the next World Cup - currently Sri Lanka's record is one win from eight games, having lost series to the West Indies, Bangladesh and England, meaning that just making the next World Cup could be beyond them.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 02 Jul 2021, 2:42 pm

Not exactly exciting cricket yesterday at the Oval yesterday but still an enjoyable time and good to be there.

A few random comments and observations:

* The ground was about half full with 14k spectators. From an entirely selfish pov - that suited me fine. Still a decent atmosphere but you could spread out over a couple of seats whilst queues at the bars were much less than usual for an international fixture. It took a bit of time to get in the ground with proof of covid vaccinations etc needing to be shown but generally things seemed to work well for this Trial Event.

* Morgan's tactical choice of bowling upon winning the toss was understood but not appreciated by the majority of the crowd who feared they were not going to get their money's worth.

* That fear escalated after Sam Curran's two wickets in his opening over and even more as Sri Lanka stumbled to 21/4. Sam was certainly at his best whipping the ball in during that opening spell from the Vauxhall End.

* From then on throughout their knock, Sri Lanka had always lost 2 wickets too many and never looked like pulling things back. That was despte a commendable effort by de Silva who looked to be the only Sri Lankan who had an idea as to what to do with the bat. Some sympathy for him but felt he should have held on another 5 or 6 overs before attempting to go big and falling almost straightaway. He was ticking over nicely and there was little left to come. Made no difference to the outcome but would have upped their total a bit.

* Sri Lanka might have got a few more anyway with better running. They regularly appeared to have an eye for the single - fair enough. However, they too rarely tried to turn one run into two. Good as England's fielding was, they should have tried to apply pressure and not assume we would always get it right.

* Curran and his fellow left armer Willey bagged all the wickets but I was also impressed by Wood. Unlucky not to get even one. He never let up in his efforts, didn't let the batsmen settle and for a speedster where a bad delivery normally shoots to the rope, was pretty economical.

* I wasn't complaining yesterday but, as Duty suggested, we still let them accumulate too many from their perilous 21/4. A further 220 in fact. I would have kept a slip in for longer and given Moeen a bowl to try something different and break things up.

* That all said, Sri Lanka were imo at least 80 short of a properly competive total on a good batting track with virtually the whole of the large outfield in play. It really was too comfortable for England's batsmen with Morgan and Root epitomising efficient professionalism.

* Final random observation - Root is taller in real life than he appears on tv! Smile

Anyway, hoping for better cricket and the same sort of bar queues for the India Test at the Oval in September. I should get the first but almost certainly not the second! Wink

guildfordbat

Pal Joey and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 03 Jul 2021, 1:37 am

Hello everyone, long time no see Very Happy

Not been on for a while as I've been busy with a new (proper?) job, but I thought I'd drop by and say hello. Good to see a lot of the familiar faces still around Smile

Unfortunately I'm not in a very friendly time zone for watching live sport that's happening in Europe (at least stuff that goes on in the late afternoon/evening). But I did watch most of Sri Lanka's innings. England and Curran in particular exploited the few overs of swing that were available, and that left Sri Lanka too far behind to recover. It has to be said, Sri Lanka's top order were fairly woeful. Perrera perhaps gets a pass: the first ball from Curran swung away, and then the second one went straight on, maybe even nipped back a little. Fernando getting his foot stuck on off stump to a ball that pitched middle-and-leg/leg and was crashing into leg was dreadful batting, and his decision to review without even checking with his partner not much better.

I respectfully disagree with Duty and guildford about Morgan's conservative field settings. Yes, he went on the defensive quite early, but by then the ball had stopped swinging, da Silva was playing well, and it was clear the pitch was a belter to bat on. So I actually think he was quite astute in recognising that, and acted accordingly. The protection meant that SL had to take more risks to hit boundaries, something they couldn't really afford to do with their situation. How many edges actually went to where a slip would have been? He also kept point up to Hasaranga when Wood was bowling IIRC, so it wasn't full-on defensive mode.

In reality, the absolute ease with which England chased down the runs meant it didn't matter either way, but did emphasise how good the pitch was (SL's bowling has been their strong suit so far). I agree with guildford that SL were at least 80 short: I think had England batted first they would have scored 350+ most likely. Which brings me to my next point: the decision at the toss, and how it was greeted. Hard to disagree either with Morgan's decision, or the reaction of the crowd. With the series, and World Cup qualifying points on the line, Morgan understandably prioritised the win, and we know this side likes a chase. I do wonder if, with the series secure, he'll be tempted to bat first in the last ODI (am I right in saying he did so in the T20s, or did SL put England in for that one?). I also understand the crowd reaction of course, knowing how poor (being generous) SL's batting has been so far on tour.

Not much else to say really: in white ball stuff England are so far ahead of SL that this isn't really much of a contest. Could we see some rest/rotation in the last ODI? Garton in for Willey maybe? Wood getting a rest? Banton/Livingstone in?

Mad for Chelsea

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 03 Jul 2021, 5:39 am

Nice to see you back on here , MFC ... Hope your new job allows you to pop in from time to time - and get a chance to watch a bit more cricket.

Agree with your thoughts re ODI experimentation (bat first occasionally - the practice might come in handy) and do hope Garton gets a run in the next game.

A pity Sri Lanka is so off the pace : but I guess we are fortunate to have cricket to watch anyway...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 03 Jul 2021, 10:06 am

Ollie Robinson effectively gets a suspended 5 match ban and a fine for his tweets
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 Jul 2021, 10:53 am

England win the toss and bowl. Woakes back in for Wood. Sri Lanka batting under very grey skies...think I can see where this one is going!

But rain forecast intermittently throughout the day, so maybe a saving grace for the tourists?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 04 Jul 2021, 11:14 am

Struggling to understand continuing to pick Tom Curran at this point - surely worth giving Garton a game, we know unfortunately that Tom just isn’t really good enough by now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 04 Jul 2021, 2:03 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Struggling to understand continuing to pick Tom Curran at this point - surely worth giving Garton a game, we know unfortunately that Tom just isn’t really good enough by now

Four cheap wickets later , Tom thanks you for the assist , Olly Smile

alfie

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 Jul 2021, 2:58 pm

166 all out this time and England heading for six comfortable wins out of six.

Hopefully Pakistan will provide a sterner test.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 04 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:166 all out this time and England heading for six comfortable wins out of six.

Hopefully Pakistan will provide a sterner test.

Weather seems to have other ideas...

Ah well. Le Tour , Stockholm Diamond League...who needs sleep ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm

Yep, the weather won. 5-0 to England in the limited overs games, and 5 points to Sri Lanka for World Cup qualification.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 06 Jul 2021, 9:23 am

Oh dear ... Covid has apparently struck the ODI squad. Several staff and players afflicted.

Replacements will be drafted in and given the strength in depth available it should not be any disaster : but it shows how much risk still attaches to sporting events...

Hope nothing similar happens to the footballers over the next few days !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 06 Jul 2021, 9:27 am

Interesting to see who they call up - gotta feel for the likes of Garton/Banton who were brought into the bubble, carried drinks, and now presumably are in the close contacts who will miss out on a chance to play...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 06 Jul 2021, 9:41 am

Yes apparently they are all close contacts and required to isolate so it's a whole new squad...which really will test the depth !

Good thing Stokes (who is going to captain) was outside the bubble. Be interesting to see who else is picked...

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.php?t=70298

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20