The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of discussion points.

+5
dynamark
JAS
beninho
super_realist
4putt
9 posters

Go down

A couple of discussion points. Empty A couple of discussion points.

Post by 4putt Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 2:31

1. Putting Balls.
Where I live it's common practice to change to a putting ball. I've always frowned on this practice and used the same ball until recently. A few weeks ago my caddy provided me with a soft pink Bridgestone ladies ball on the first tee. I used it for a few holes before changing it. However it was very good to putt with. There's more feel on the putter and next to no noise when hit. Has made a difference and will stick with it as I only play friendly golf.
2. Conceding Putts.
Not the on the lip type. When playing match play and your opponent concedes your putt after you have putted first what is your reaction if he/she putts the ball back to you. I thought this could be construed as testing the green and was illegal? I had this happen in the final of my clubs Matchplay event when I lived in England. I looked at the referee who looked the other way. I let it go as didn't want to create any bad feeling after two holes.

4putt

Back to top Go down

A couple of discussion points. Empty Re: A couple of discussion points.

Post by super_realist Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 6:04

Its odd that you wouldnt care about breaking the rules by having a putting ball, but do care about whether your playing partners knocking the ball back to you might be seen as testing the green

If you just play friendly golf, why care about either?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 7:37

super_realist wrote:Its odd that you wouldnt care about breaking the rules by having a putting ball, but do care about whether your playing partners knocking the ball back to you might be seen as testing the green

If you just play friendly golf, why care about either?

Obviously you have a problem with reading. Smile Smile

If you care to read the post again you will see that one refers to a friendly knock about and the other refers to a serious culmination to a year long competition. The two are obviously completely different scenarios., so why you should think it's odd is......odd.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 7:49

I'm not a rules expert in any way. But is there an issue with someone knocking a ball back to you that has been given?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 9:55

beninho wrote:I'm not a rules expert in any way. But is there an issue with someone knocking a ball back to you that has been given?

Neither am I. That's why I put the ? after illegal. Perhaps one of our experts can clarify.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 10:30

It depends if they have completed the hole doesnt it? If theyve finished the hole before your putt then it would'nt matter in matchplay.
Not sure it really matters though as knocking the putt back, usually one handed on a different line and pace isnt really giving anyone an advantage

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 13:12

super_realist wrote:It depends if they have completed the hole doesnt it? If theyve finished the hole before your putt then it would'nt matter in matchplay.
Not sure it really matters though as knocking the putt back, usually one handed on a different line and pace isnt really giving anyone an advantage

Yep I’d agree, only a pedant would try and assert differently, it’s like picking a ball up to give a gimme within 10 seconds :-p

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 6 Sep 2021 - 14:16

Heck lucky to have a caddy 4 putt !
I didnt quite get the 10 second thing yesterday but I thought you as the player had a reasonable time to get to the ball and finish but in terms of the opposition giving a putt 10 second seems reasonable 'I always felt oblidged to use the same type of ball in a match but not in a knockabout game.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Sep 2021 - 13:40

I'm with super. Hard to remember a time someone hit your ball back in a manner that would help them glean any info about the green.

As for the putting ball. WTF? Never seen that before.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 10 Sep 2021 - 16:47

I'v never heard of a putting ball before either. But at my club we have a "17th hole ball" for many of the seniors. (An old, used ball usually). It's a par 3 with a steep elevation drop and a pond in front on the right hand side of the green. Lots of balls end up in the pond. Some seniors know they can't make it so go for "chicken alley" which is to the left of the green and then chip on.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Oct 2021 - 9:05

dynamark wrote:Heck lucky to have a caddy 4 putt !
I didnt quite get the 10 second thing yesterday but I thought you as the player had a reasonable time to get to the ball and finish but in terms of the opposition giving a putt 10 second seems reasonable 'I always felt oblidged to use the same type of ball in a match but not in a knockabout game.
I think he’s referring to the controversial incident in the Solheim Cup!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 26 Nov 2021 - 11:22

4putt wrote:1. Putting Balls.
Where I live it's common practice to change to a putting ball. I've always frowned on this practice and used the same ball until recently. A few weeks ago my caddy provided me with a soft pink Bridgestone ladies ball on the first tee. I used it for a few holes before changing it. However it was very good to putt with. There's more feel on the putter and next to no noise when hit. Has made a difference and will stick with it as I only play friendly golf.
2. Conceding Putts.
Not the on the lip type. When playing match play and your opponent concedes your putt after you have putted first what is your reaction if he/she putts the ball back to you. I thought this could be construed as testing the green and was illegal? I had this happen in the final of my clubs Matchplay event when I lived in England. I looked at the referee who looked the other way. I let it go as didn't want to create any bad feeling after two holes.

1. Players shouldn't change balls during the playing of a hole. It doesn't matter in a social game but in a competition it is a penalty.

2. There are a lot of issues here. I don't think anyone could rule on this without knowing whether the "putted back concession" could influence the outcome of the hole. For example, if you had 2 or more putts to win the hole, and putted it up dead then I don't think there's any offence. But if the opponent has a chance of a win, or a half, and their putt is on about the same line, then there's a possible breach. Or you might argue that, by putting it back to you, your opponent gained an advantage later in the round - say an 18 hole match on a 9 hole course, or in extra holes, or saw how much a severe slope affected the ball when there are severe slopes later in the round.

If you concede a putt, you should always let your opponent pick it up, rather than doing it yourself. The only exception is in 4BBB matchplay where you might want to stop someone putting out for an 8 when he's going to assist her partner on about the same line putting for a 4. Pick it up and THROW it back so you don't have to argue with someone that insists they have the right to putt out. They don't in that scenario.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down