The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World T20 discussion thread

+16
msp83
AlciG
VTR
eirebilly
Soul Requiem
alfie
CaledonianCraig
KP_fan
Pal Joey
James100
king_carlos
Duty281
JDizzle
dummy_half
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
20 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

World T20 discussion thread - Page 18 Empty World T20 discussion thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 09 Sep 2021, 11:18 am

First topic message reminder :

This is fast approaching in the UAE, and squads are beginning to be announced. England have announced theirs this morning

England's preliminary squad for the World T20;

Jason Roy
Jos Buttler
Dawid Malan
Jonny Bairstow
Liam Livingstone
Eoin Morgan
Sam Billings
Moeen Ali
Sam Curran
Chris Woakes
David Willey
Adil Rashid
Mark Wood
Chris Jordan
Tymal Mills

Reserves: James Vince, Liam Dawson, Tom Curran

Looks a solid squad, albeit the team has taken a hit in recent months with Archer's injury and then Stokes's withdrawal from international duty.
Billings in as the main batting backup, makes sense to me. He's played well in limited opportunity the past few summers.
I am a touch surprised both Woakes and Willey are in the squad...seems like they both do the same role to me?
Seems harsh, but happy no Tom Curran. He's not played well enough to be included.
I see some "why no Parkinson?" and it does seem a tad weird he isn't in reserve...but ultimately in T20 can you afford to carry someone like him, who while is a good bowler, is a liability in the field and offers absolutely nothing with the bat. I can see why Dawson is the chosen reserve over him, with those considerations.

I think the likely XI is;

Roy
Buttler
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Wood
Mills

The real selection choices in there are between Woakes/Jordan, and Moeen/Sam Curran. Rest looks fairly set in stone to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

World T20 discussion thread - Page 18 Empty Re: World T20 discussion thread

Post by alfie Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:24 pm

NZ halfway home after just 7 overs...55/1.

Looking very ominous for India. Even with Bumrah cutting Guptill off after a rapid 20 , Mitchell and Williamson are collecting runs without seemingly a lot of difficulty.

Not exactly the spectacular striking of yesterday's Buttlerthon : but in a somewhat quiet understated Kiwi way , these two are closing on the target quite briskly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:33 pm

As you say , Olly : India will be hoping to avoid total devastation to their run rate. But even with three games left - two of them apparently "easy" - I reckon they'd struggle to get their NRR up to that boasted by Afghanistan - who they'd obviously have to beat in any case. No certainty judging by this display.
And if NZ beat the Afghans they're uncatchable barring a big upset against Scotland or Namibia.

I reckon India are effectively out .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

Have a feeling there's something more to this Indian performance. They just seem to lack the confidence and cohesion we usually see. Not sure if it's a consequence to the shameful Shami incident or the longer break between their matches... they just seem to have gone cold at the wrong time.

Maybe the IPL took a lot of energy out of some players but then again we have players* from other countries who were part of that and seem to be carrying their form over to this T20 WC. The other observation that springs to mind is that NZ have a special knack of countering India in recent times as we have seen in Tests, ODIs and now T20s. It's as if they know how to deal with the Indian approach and show absolutely no fear whatsoever towards them.

Anyway, a great weekend for New Zealand sport. Thrashing Wales 54-16 in the rugby yesterday and now this. Surprised to see Boult with such a low 'ranking' of 72 or whatever it is. Surely he is top 10 or 15 at least. He's such a class bowler. The team is playing so well and should get a decent boost to their NRR. India must be feeling gutted and I've never heard their fans being so quiet. The Pakistan loss must have had a huge impact on them.

* apart from Warner of course who has no form.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm

Mitchell gone for an excellent 49. But not going to make any difference.
Bumrah stands out among India's bowlers , as he generally does.

Conway in - had thought NZ might promote a hitter to get this done quicker for their NRR but it seems they're content with their game as planned.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:58 pm

The batting is an issue but the bigger issue seems to be the bowling; Bumrah aside it looks like easy pickings. Two wickets across two matches is worrying.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:58 pm

Pal Joey wrote:Have a feeling there's something more to this Indian performance. They just seem to lack the confidence and cohesion we usually see. Not sure if it's a consequence to the shameful Shami incident or the longer break between their matches... they just seem to have gone cold at the wrong time.

Maybe the IPL took a lot of energy out of some players but then again we have players* from other countries who were part of that and seem to be carrying their form over to this T20 WC. The other observation that springs to mind is that NZ have a special knack of countering India in recent times as we have seen in Tests, ODIs and now T20s. It's as if they know how to deal with the Indian approach and show absolutely no fear whatsoever towards them.

Anyway, a great weekend for New Zealand sport. Thrashing Wales 54-16 in the rugby yesterday and now this. Surprised to see Boult with such a low 'ranking' of 72 or whatever it is. Surely he is top 10 or 15 at least. He's such a class bowler. The team is playing so well and should get a decent boost to their NRR. India must be feeling gutted and I've never heard their fans being so quiet. The Pakistan loss must have had a huge impact on them.

* apart from Warner of course who has no form.

T20is are so intermittent and played to such erratic standard due to players being rested for them that the rankings are almost completely meaningless. When it comes to players that play their domestic T20 in strong leagues I'd certainly pay more attention to their domestic figures than international ones for instance. A lot of T20is outside of World Cup years are played at a far lower standard than a lot of domestic T20 which sees some fantastic cricket being played these days.

As for the Indian performance I think it's likely a simple case of such a short tournament leaving teams that start poorly in a tough position to recover from. England in the 2019 CWC lost 3 group games but due to the structure could still qualify. I like this short and sharp structure for T20 World Cups but it does mean that good sides will stumble.

Bhuvi looking short of full fitness and Pandya struggling to bowl are big blows to the bowling attack as well. On form Bhuvi is one of the best PP bowlers in cricket (the PP is even more vital in these conditions it seems), Pandya offers depth so they can use Bumrah more selectively.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 31 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

All done. 8 wickets and best part of six overs to spare.

Clinical . Kiwi

clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 31 Oct 2021, 5:14 pm

Didn't see that coming, but never too surprised by any kind of result in this format. Moreso than any other format, the big teams and even some of the smaller ones can dominate any other side on their day. New Zealand had a great bowling day then it was always going to be easy from then on

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 31 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm

India have been hammered twice in succession. They're not coming back from this.

England are big favourites for this competition. Big.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 31 Oct 2021, 11:18 pm

Shakib has been ruled out of the rest of the tournament with a hamstring injury. I actually incorrectly said that Bangladesh were eliminated in a previous post, actually they're not quite out of it: if Bangladesh win their two remaining games, if England win their two remaining games, if Sri Lanka beat the West Indies and the West Indies beat Australia, then five teams (everyone bar England) will be tied on four points. Wouldn't that be fun?

Just the one game tomorrow with England against Sri Lanka. Can't see anyone stopping the England juggernaut at present. England expected to be unchanged again, though Wood may come in for Mills. Sri Lanka have lost two on the bounce and are scrapping for their tournament lives - they may be dropping the hapless Kumara for this one and putting in an extra spinner.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 01 Nov 2021, 11:27 am

Not sure where to put this, but in light of his excellent work often referred on here (see again today re: Azeem Rafiq), great news that George Dobell has been picked up by The Cricketer, starting in mid November - https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/news/george_dobell_to_join_the_cricketer_staff_across_print_and_digital.html

https://twitter.com/TheCricketerMag/status/1455129862964928512?s=20
Interesting little few minutes here - a fly sly digs at Cricinfo in there...! But mainly sounds like he's going to be allowed to continue what he's been doing, maybe with a little more editorial freedom.

Can't say I've ever followed their stuff or frequent their website, but will be adding it to my list now - so they've already gained one new follower here Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat, king_carlos and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Nov 2021, 12:54 pm

I'd completely missed that Asghar Afghan retired yesterday!

He's been an absolutely vital cog for Afghan's rise up to Test status. A very well respected captain, whilst his batting never quite carried over in white ball as many hoped he made key contributions in their fledgling Test appearances.

In years to come when I hope they are playing more Tests he may be a player we look back on and wonder what he may have achieved in the longer form with more opportunities.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 01 Nov 2021, 1:04 pm

Afternoon all, sitting in my hotel room in Milan nursing a very sore head Very Happy

Really looking forward to this match today. Sri Lanka can never be underestimated and this game is pretty much last chance saloon for them so i expect some fireworks. Its so important to win the toss in these evening games.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 1:35 pm

Sri Lanka winning the toss and fielding first, so we'll get a look at England batting first and defending a total for the first time.

Could be carnage if England's batting line-up fires as this is near a postage stamp ground with tiny boundaries (68m on one side; 61m on the other).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 01 Nov 2021, 1:38 pm

king_carlos wrote:I'd completely missed that Asghar Afghan retired yesterday!

He's been an absolutely vital cog for Afghan's rise up to Test status. A very well respected captain, whilst his batting never quite carried over in white ball as many hoped he made key contributions in their fledgling Test appearances.

In years to come when I hope they are playing more Tests he may be a player we look back on and wonder what he may have achieved in the longer form with more opportunities.

I have a horrible feeling that Afghan cricket is about to decline as rapidly as Kenyan cricket did after their WC Semi Final. The reasons would be very different of course, and I hope that I am wrong

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 1:59 pm

So Morgan loses a toss at last.

Probably just as well : we have to see what England can do batting first for a change. Would fancy them setting a pretty solid target for Sri Lanka but this will be the first time they've actually had to try and bat 20 overs. So a bit of a different game.

No change to either XI. Off we go...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:01 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see England get 200 today.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:18 pm

England doing as they promised and going after it from ball one...no surprise.
And runs are flowing though Roy's contribution is a brief one today.

Already looks as though spin is the way for Sri Lanka : can't help but wonder why they didn't bring in another spinner tonight.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:26 pm

May have to revise any hopes of 200! Decent start from Sri Lanka, Malan's short stay (bar one shot) was a struggle.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:28 pm

Malan really does look in horrid nick. Good from Chameera when bowling to a player who's struggling though. Mixed up his lengths to stop him planting his front foot but mainly threatening the stumps.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:28 pm

Interesting call to use a second over of Hasaranga when Bairstow has just come in and hits spin so well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:30 pm

Bairstow looked pretty plumb and the review shows it. 35/3.

England in some difficulty for the first time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

Hmm. Two down.

Might have three here : think this is a good review ?

Yes . Bairstow gone and England are three down in the power play !

Hasaranga on fire and this would be a good day for Morgan to strike some form...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

That looked close live to me.

Out as well. I eat my words. Great call to use Hasaranga against Bairstow! Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:32 pm

At least the middle order will be getting some time at the crease!

Hasaranga on the money with his two overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:34 pm

6.Livingstone 7.Mo 8.Woakes 9.Jordan 10.Rashid 11.Mills

A lot of batting to come but a spot of bother for sure. Pressure on Buttler as he's spent significant time at the crease already in the tournament unlike the others to come.

2-5 from 2 overs in the PP. Hasaranga is a brilliant T20 cricketer.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:39 pm

alfie wrote:England doing as they promised and going after it from ball one...no surprise.

Already looks as though spin is the way for Sri Lanka : can't help but wonder why they didn't bring in another spinner tonight.

Quite a dangerous approach so far this evening with this low skiddy wicket. As Watson was saying maybe the stand tall and bash it approach not suited to this Sharjah wicket. Looks like it has a coat of oil on it! Maybe need to bend the knees a bit more and get down to the classic low angle Sri Lankan bowling. Unlike Australia who tried to bang it in and get more bounce... which sat up nicely for the England powerplay onslaught the other night. In other words - Plan B. See off for the next few overs at least and then maybe think about launching the strike rate when the time is right. Need to play it smart and just knock it around for 1s, 2s and 3s... there's still plenty of overs to go.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:43 pm

Think we can safely forget about 200 today Smile

Batting certainly doesn't look as easy this evening , so they won't need that sort of score anyway : trick will be to make sure they get something reasonably solid to defend.

41/3 off 8 so England have already been forced to dial back on the "go for everything in all situations " policy. Sri Lanka may really wish they had another spinner to maintain their advantage.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:48 pm

Obvs not 3s on this postage stamp but you know what I mean. Smile

Maybe 140-150 will be enough if England bowl well too and put the squeeze on SL later on.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:48 pm

England have to start trying to put some pressure back on Sri Lanka, otherwise they're limping to 120/130. Just 32 runs from the last 8 overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 2:52 pm

Pal Joey wrote:
alfie wrote:England doing as they promised and going after it from ball one...no surprise.

Quite a dangerous approach so far this evening with this low skiddy wicket. As Watson was saying maybe the stand tall and bash it approach not suited to this Sharjah wicket. Looks like it has a coat of oil on it! Maybe need to bend the knees a bit more and get down to the classic low angle Sri Lankan bowling. Unlike Australia who tried to bang it in and get more bounce... which sat up nicely for the England powerplay onslaught the other night. In other words - Plan B. See off for the next few overs at least and then maybe think about launching the strike rate when the time is right. Need to play it smart and just knock it around for 1s, 2s and 3s... there's still plenty of overs to go.

Hi PJ :

Yes I think you have summed up the situation pretty nicely there. Really don't need to lose another wicket just yet. Can still look to go aerial in the late overs as long as you have some batsmen left .

But with just 48 off the first ten England are definitely getting properly tested for the first time in this event. Still plenty of work to get up to that 140 odd that seems to be so popular lately...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:00 pm

Fortunately Buttler continuing his excellent form - though necessarily a little more restrained so far than in his Aussie bashing party at the weekend. Some useful runs off Kumara there.

Theekshana for his last over now : he's been very effective so far.

And indeed finished well too . Thirteen off his four clap

England won't be sorry he's done for the night.

Last edited by alfie on Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:01 pm

alfie wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

Hi PJ :

Yes I think you have summed up the situation pretty nicely there. Really don't need to lose another wicket just yet.  Can still look to go aerial in the late overs as long as you have some batsmen left .

But with just 48 off the first ten England are definitely getting properly tested for the first time in this event. Still plenty of work to get up to that 140 odd that seems to be so popular lately...

You know me, alfie. I try to be generous.  Smile
Duty's call is probably closer to the mark.

Whatever the result... which is still a long, long way off. There should be no tinkering with the team nor the order after this one game.
Just adjust the plan and approach if they meet, say Pakistan later on with their crafty quicks and wily slow bowlers.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:04 pm

Understand that this is maybe not the best batting track but this is snails pace from Morgan. He will have to go soon as he is piling the pressure on Jos.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:08 pm

Yeah, Morgan needs to hit out or get out and let Moeen/Livingstone have a crack.

Only seven overs left. 150 is still on.

Duty281

eirebilly and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:11 pm

Oh they can still get the 140 I think. Buttler sensibly targeting the seamers - and he's forced Sri Lanka to go back to Hasaranga now. Once he's finished we may see some rapid scoring.

Fifty for Buttler clap Not as spectacular as the other night but probably more important in context...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:13 pm

Those five remaining overs of pace could go for a fair few.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:19 pm

Kumara really losing the plot here...very poor over and duly punished...

105/3 and England can set sights on 160 . As I thought : Sri Lanka got it wrong at selection in not including a third spinner.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:Yeah, Morgan needs to hit out or get out and let Moeen/Livingstone have a crack.

Only seven overs left. 150 is still on.

I don't really have a problem with Morgan playing conservatively.Buttler was scoring freely , at least off the seamers : and the skipper is well capable of finishing with a flourish. Rather have a few wickets in hand for the death overs as it hasn't been easy for new bats coming in on this pitch.

He's up to run a ball now. 122/3 . Expecting fireworks in the last three overs...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:35 pm

Buttler will have felt a lot more comfortable having Morgan with him than Livingstone or Ali. He's quite freakish when he gets going, is there a more dangerous batsman in full flow?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:35 pm

Six ...six...four...

Hundred stand. And Buttler a big chance for his own hundred here : up to 86 with two overs left ! Quite an innings Smile

Will likely be over 160 now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:39 pm

Buttler on 87 and has one over to get his first international T20 century.

Sri Lanka already got the towels out for the dew factor. Will be a good test for England's bowlers.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:39 pm

Hasaranga gets Morgan . He has bowled wonderfully well today. 3/21 and no one has been able to get after him even here at the death.

Bet Sri Lanka would like to have two of him Smile

149/4 ... One over to go...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:40 pm

Have literally no idea what England would do without Jos. He really is the best T20 batter out there.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:44 pm

Buttler dropped on 93...

Reckon he's earned some luck Smile

Two balls to get five more...

One more ....needs a six

And there it is Yahoo

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:45 pm

Yes, Buttler! What a marvel. Best in the world. clap

101 of England's 163 runs. That's amazing.

Overall, a good score and England are favourites, but it's within Sri Lanka's reach.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:45 pm

Stunning innings by Jos, simply stunning. He, alone, is responsible for this very defendable score.
eirebilly
eirebilly

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:45 pm

Buttler will rightly get all the plaudits but I actually think that's a decent innings from Morgan too, at 35-3 things could have gone downhill quickly but he assessed the situation perfectly and accelerated when he needed to.

First England player to score centuries in all three formats, take a bow Jos.

Soul Requiem

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:50 pm

Super innings from Buttler today. Sensibly reined it in a bit early due to the dodgy start and tricky conditions ... And stepped it up as he went on , finishing appropriately with that last six. Gets the team to a score that doesn't look too shabby from the position they were in after the power play.

Dew was certainly a factor hampering the bowlers in the latter stages so bowling won't be too easy for England . They might need all those 163 runs.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 01 Nov 2021, 3:51 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Buttler will rightly get all the plaudits but I actually think that's a decent innings from Morgan too, at 35-3 things could have gone downhill quickly but he assessed the situation perfectly and accelerated when he needed to.

First England player to score centuries in all three formats, take a bow Jos.

Not sure I entirely agree on Morgan. He started very, very slowly. England could have easily limped to the sort of score we’ve seen Australia and India get too. Albeit I think this pitch is trickier than the others we have seen.

Luckily England have Jos - and he can cover up a lot! I don’t think it’s even close he’s England’s greatest ever white ball player anymore.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next