The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irons

4 posters

Go down

Irons Empty Irons

Post by JAS Mon 27 Sep 2021, 7:32 pm

The time has come to finally replace my irons, was going to do it last winter (scuppered by lockdowns) and the previous winter (scuppered by shoulder injury) so well, we’ll over due. It’s actually been about 10 years since I paid for a set of irons as the i25s that are going were a free replacement for their predecessors as the weight ports kept dropping out.

Going to do it over at least a couple of sessions, first will be narrowing down the field of the offerings from Titleist, ping, callaway, Taylormade & Mizuno, I’m not going in set with any manufacturers badge in mind. Budget isn’t really an issue (I’ve already ruled out PXG). Should be interesting to see what comes out on top. Anyone else bought a set in the past year or so and if so what was your criteria and were you pleased with your decision.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Irons Empty Re: Irons

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Sep 2021, 6:05 am

I think it will take something special to get me away feom Mizuno.
My short irons are getting worn in the face, pleasantly right in the middle, so perhaps an upgrade next season.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 28 Sep 2021, 2:39 pm

Jas

I have never been able to move away from the more traditional looking irons. Like mizuno's or the slimmer titleist models. I do wonder if I am hurting myself with this traditionalist approach but I just don't like the look of the more modern looking "hot" irons.

So my criteria is always pretty much as simple as picking what irons are the nicest to hit from those that look the best standing over the ball. I do also try and work shot shaping into my game so if a set helps with that it is something to think about.

If I were to go out and buy irons now it would be picking from the slimmest jpx, mp20, whatever replaced the ap2 and maybe a best looking offering from TM.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Sep 2021, 2:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing what Mizuno come out with in 2022

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 04 Oct 2021, 12:23 pm

Got a 2nd session tomorrow, first session we narrowed down the right shaft characteristics and narrowed club heads down to the Taylormade P790 and the Callaway Apex's. Titleist T100s narrowly missed out. So tomorrow is about confirming which of the 2 heads are better for me and if any tweaking needs doing in terms of offsets or tweaked lofts

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 07 Oct 2021, 1:26 pm

Taylormade p790s it is, just to make sure I retried the Titleists too and they nearly stole it but all thing considered the TMs just shaded it

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 Oct 2021, 1:33 pm

The p790 is a good looking club. But I could never pass titleists over, it is probably just marketing but titleists were always the irons I aspired to.

Are the T100 the new version of the AP2?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 08 Oct 2021, 10:23 am

McLaren wrote:The p790 is a good looking club. But I could never pass titleists over, it is probably just marketing but titleists were always the irons I aspired to.

Are the T100 the new version of the AP2?

Effectively yes Mac, the T100s to be precise. It was a close run thing, I know it’s not everything but when all other things are virtually equal except for distance, I just felt the gap at the top between 4 iron and rescue being an extra 10-15 yards that would mean either a 3 iron (or another rescue) which would mean a sacrifice at the wedge end of the bag.
The TMs were a shade more forgiving as well which given my inevitable declining physical prowess over the next 4 or so years, that carried a little bit of sway as well,

The Titleists did have a much sleeker top line and we’re very sweet to hit from the sweet spot.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Oct 2021, 2:21 pm

Does anyone know if you can buy Mizuno irons individually?
My 3,4,5 and 6 are fine as they arent forged, but my 7-PW are getting pretty worn because theyre forged and therefore softer and I also practice more with them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 15 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

Don't know what type of Mizunos you have Super but THIs SITE seems to do individual irons. Not used the site so can't give you any info on it. Just one of the top ones that came out of a Google search.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Oct 2021, 2:51 pm

Good to know, im waiting on new models coming out before I get a fitting.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down