The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

+20
msp83
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
James100
dummy_half
KP_fan
Gooseberry
Afro
Pal Joey
VTR
Soul Requiem
king_carlos
GSC
alfie
Mind the windows Tino.
Duty281
sirfredperry
guildfordbat
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
24 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 11 Empty Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 14 Oct 2021, 9:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a new thread for the winter cricket of 2021 that we (covid depending) have ahead of us. Obviously the World T20, but that has it's own thread...

The main event being the Ashes, with the dates below

Men's Ashes schedule
First Test: 8-12 December - Gabba, Brisbane (00:00 GMT)
Second Test: 16-20 December - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (d/n - 04:00 GMT)
Third Test: 26-30 December - MCG, Melbourne (23:30 GMT, 25 December)
Fourth Test: 5-9 January - SCG, Sydney (23:30 GMT, 4 January)
Fifth Test: 14-18 January - Optus Stadium, Perth (02:30 GMT) (subject to change)

Women's Ashes schedule
Test: 27-30 January - Manuka Oval, Canberra (23:00 GMT, 26 January)
First T20: 4 February - North Sydney Oval, Sydney (08:10 GMT)
Second T20: 6 February - North Sydney Oval, Sydney (08:10 GMT)
Third T20: 10 February - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (08:10 GMT)
First ODl: 13 February - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (23:05 GMT, 12 February)
Second ODl: 16 February - Junction Oval, Melbourne (23:05 GMT, 15 February)
Third ODI: 19 February - Junction Oval, Melbourne (23:05 GMT, 18 February)

India have a busy winter, with New Zealand touring in November/December and then India head to South Africa for the boxing day test/January.
There's an interesting test series between Bangladesh and Pakistan in Bangladesh in Nov/Dec, which should be an entertaining watch. Unfortunately I don't see much cricket on the schedule for Pakistan/Sri Lanka (unless I am missing something!)
A few others on the future tours programme, but not confirmed yet as far as I see...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

Post by alfie Wed 15 Dec 2021, 4:14 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:https://wisden.com/series-stories/ashes-2021-22/england-planned-for-losing-a-wicket-to-the-first-ball-of-the-ashes

Is it any wonder we're so bad with this blubbering idiot leading the way?
For his next trick, "lads it's alright we knew we were going to lose that day nighter by an innings, all part of the plan"

Now , be nice , Olly...

That is actually the words of a smart alec reporter looking for an angle , not Silverwood's. As said before I am no fan of CS as manager but from reading that "article" he just said they had discussed how hey might react to setbacks - in rather general terms. I will leave it to the team psychologist to judge the advisability of "introducing a negative" but not sure it is totally crazy to consider what if anything might change in one's planning when something goes wrong early in a game...not that any such advance planning did much good on this occasion Smile

Don't think either Silverwood or Root are much good at speaking after defeats (despite rather more practice than they'd like) but then again not many leaders are noted for great oratory after heavy losses. Journalists pester them for "something" but frankly I'd reckon all you can really say is "OK we were mostly rubbish - couple of things worked but too many didn't : well aware we need to improve drastically across the board. We will be doing our level best to do so next week ; but obviously it's actions not words that count. Questions ?"

Don't think that would satisfy the media though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Ashes 2021/22 and other cricket through the winter of 2021 thread

Post by alfie Wed 15 Dec 2021, 4:53 am

Aussie team selection seems pretty clear - Richardson replaced Hazlewood - and for all his undoubted promise he will have a big job to cover for him. As KP_fan notes it is not exactly like for like. Warner won't want to rest unless forced so I think Khawaja will be an onlooker again. After that first win they really don't need to worry about much in this area...

England - heaven knows. All the vague waffle around possibilities (which doesn't really seem to upset the opposition too much !) makes it hard to see what they are actually thinking. But - despite KP_fan's misgivings about Pope - I expect the batting to be left alone : for now , anyway.
Bowling though : surely Anderson and Broad must play. Otherwise waste of time bringing them on the trip. Wood rests , I'd imagine. Could they pick Leach again after Brisbane ?  They are nothing if not stubborn so might do so just to prove they were "right"... I don't think it would be smart ; not just because he got hammered last time - though that might understandably have hurt his confidence - but because his style is not ideally suited to the left hander heavy Australian line-up ; and I'd be surprised if England could give him a heavy run cushion in a pink ball Test in Adelaide. I'm leaning to a seam only attack (though I concede that this is a bit of an eggs in one basket strategy. And risks further fines for over rates) as the best chance of getting Australia out twice.
So that would allow Woakes and Robinson to play and Stokes to be asked only to bowl the odd short spell , giving him more time to get back to his full capacity for Tests after his layoff.  Root to supply spin if needed. If they really cannot come at all pace options then I'd play Bess (at least he has some left handers to bowl at) for Woakes ; though I know that is also a bit of a punt.

Fingers crossed they make good decisions this time. Or "lucky" ones would do...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 15 Dec 2021, 8:24 am

So the 12 is just the XI that played in Brisbane minus Wood - plus Broad and Anderson.

Concerns that they are set to pick Leach again and leave Broad out. Hope I'm wrong as I think that would be madness.

Lyon takes wickets in Adelaide. Visiting spinners don't.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 15 Dec 2021, 8:38 am

alfie wrote:

Ashwin had a 5-for in Adelaide when India last played there.
Leach doesn't have the quality to take wickets except on responsive pitches...nor is he good enuf as an assured scoring 25+ batsman
I really doubt if Leach will play much outside of Sub-Continent any more.

And outside the subcontinent if Eng play a spinner ......they would really would be looking for a batsman spinner.....like Moeen
They should have brought Livingstone in the squad
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 15 Dec 2021, 10:11 am

alfie wrote:So the 12 is just the XI that played in Brisbane minus Wood -  plus Broad and Anderson.

Concerns that they are set to pick Leach again and leave Broad out. Hope I'm wrong as I think that would be madness.

Yep, Agnew seems to think it'll be Leach over Broad. Would be madness to leave Broad out again, it was madness to pick Woakes ahead of him in the last test. England's selection policy is off the rails.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 15 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

Worth remembering England have just been docked WTC points and fined for a slow over rate - going in with five seamers and expecting to keep up with the over rate would be a big ask I guess.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

Duty281 wrote:
alfie wrote:So the 12 is just the XI that played in Brisbane minus Wood -  plus Broad and Anderson.

Yep, Agnew seems to think it'll be Leach over Broad. Would be madness to leave Broad out again, it was madness to pick Woakes ahead of him in the last test. England's selection policy is off the rails.

Yes Broad has to play - the decision for me is between Woakes and Leach.

I wouldn't be against Leach being given a game again, I think England are going to need him during this tour and hopefully he will perform better here. Likely a more helpful surface, hopefully (albeit not out of the question) he isn't coming on with the Aussies at 90-1, with a deficit of only 50 to a first innings score of 147 by England.
The pink ball tends to go soft in that middle session of the day, before the lights take effect...I think we're going to need that variation of spin especially with no express pace now Wood is out.

Ultimately again, we can discuss the makeup of the bowling attack till the cows come home, it ain't going to matter unless they can make a big first innings score with the bat.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:18 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Yes Broad has to play - the decision for me is between Woakes and Leach.

I wouldn't be against Leach being given a game again, I think England are going to need him during this tour and hopefully he will perform better here. Likely a more helpful surface, hopefully (albeit not out of the question) he isn't coming on with the Aussies at 90-1, with a deficit of only 50 to a first innings score of 147 by England.
The pink ball tends to go soft in that middle session of the day, before the lights take effect...I think we're going to need that variation of spin especially with no express pace now Wood is out.

Ultimately again, we can discuss the makeup of the bowling attack till the cows come home, it ain't going to matter unless they can make a big first innings score with the bat.

Well that is true !

I am not saying Leach cannot play a part again in this series (though I'm not overconfident he will be a big factor) : just don't reckon this match is a good time to play him. Really not expecting Adelaide to spin sharply (pink ball and all I doubt it will go five days , for one thing). And if you look at Jack's record : In India and Sri Lanka  ; 9 games ; 46 wickets for 1250 .  In England Australia and NZ : 8 games , 17 wickets for 700 ... think that says a lot.

Only thing with leaving out Woakes (not unreasonable) is batting Robinson at eight - which is just too long a tail for me. Robinson was the best bowler in Brisbane so would be hard to leave him out : I do not really like all seam attacks but I think this week they almost have to take that risk.

They probably won't though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:43 pm

JDizzle wrote:Worth remembering England have just been docked WTC points and fined for a slow over rate - going in with five seamers and expecting to  keep up with the over rate would be a big ask I guess.
A few pundits have made that point but worth saying that Leach bowls his overs remarkably slowly for a spinner!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:44 pm

Maybe we should recall Trott to sabotage Australia's over rate
GSC
GSC

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:54 pm

As much as I have concerns about Leach's massive weaknesses I still think he's our best spinner and should play.

Leaving Leach out feels like we are picking a side aimed at the hope rather than expectation of rolling Australia in at least one innings. The pink ball is tough to face when the lights come on but it also really pings off the bat and there will be large swathes of T2 not under lights where it will be a standard Adelaide pitch and Aussie conditions. Those tend to be good for batting, very dry due to the heat and in Adelaide it turns late on.

Without 1st innings runs the makeup of the bowling lineup will likely be mute point. If England can actually make big 1st innings runs then I think we will want a spinner as the game goes deeper.

It's a point Harmison (a very good pundit in my opinion) makes that selection debates almost always revolve around the bowlers even when the batsman can't buy a run. For all the debate around Broad I actually thought that Robinson, Wood and Woakes bowled very well in T1. Personally I don't see that a 5th seamer would have made any difference at all.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 15 Dec 2021, 12:55 pm

king_carlos wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Worth remembering England have just been docked WTC points and fined for a slow over rate - going in with five seamers and expecting to  keep up with the over rate would be a big ask I guess.
A few pundits have made that point but worth saying that Leach bowls his overs remarkably slowly for a spinner!

It’s even slower when the ball has to get thrown back and sanitised from the crowd three times an over…

JDizzle

guildfordbat, king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Dec 2021, 1:11 pm

Like most, if not all of us, I don't like a five seamer attack. The reasons have been well rehearsed here.

However, one problem at least is whether Stokes currently constitutes one seamer. Due to injuries and other issues severely restricting his recent performances and likely to limit how much he is able to bowl in the coming Test, he might today be regarded as only a back-up seamer. That then could be said to leave us going in with 4.5 seamers. That's really still too many imo (for the same reasons that I don't like a five seamer attack) but may be the best option.

Leaving out Stokes is unrealistic given the balance he brings (at least on paper), his run scoring ability and general X factor. Whilst I regard 4.5 seamers as over doing it, I don't regard 3.5 seamers as enough. Not for England anyway. Australia can manage it (viewing Green as back up), largely in part to Lyon's invaluable ability to both hold an end and take wickets. However, Leach is not in the same class and I'm sure Australia's batsmen are just itching to take him to the cleaners again.

For me therefore, Leach is out and it's a five (or 4.5) seam attack including Stokes with Root to do more bowling than usual.

Not ideal but nothing for England on this tour is. In any case and in line with the posts from Alfie and Olly, all pretty meaningless unless the batsmen put runs on the board.

guildfordbat

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 1:23 pm

It glided under the radar a bit with England's dire batting but I thought Cam Green bowled really well in T1. Tall and mid to high 80s is a very useful 4th seam option to have in Australia. I'd not seen much of his bowling but on that showing he certainly has the capacity to be a Kallis style very consistent fast-medium seamer.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 15 Dec 2021, 1:24 pm

1 David Warner, 2 Marcus Harris, 3 Marnus Labuschagne, 4 Steven Smith, 5 Travis Head, 6 Cameron Green, 7 Alex Carey (wk), 8 Pat Cummins (capt), 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Jhye Richardson, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Australia's team is confirmed as that. Warner fit to play, Richardson in for the injured Hazlewood. Very strong selection as per usual, the only man under pressure in that XI is Harris.

1 Rory Burns, 2 Haseeb Hameed, 3 Dawid Malan, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Ollie Pope, 7 Jos Buttler (wk), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Ollie Robinson, 10 Stuart Broad/Jack Leach, 11 James Anderson

Cricinfo reckoning, like everywhere else, that it's Broad v Leach for the final place. I'm perfectly fine with an all-seam attack as I don't think Leach has the confidence or the ability with a pink ball to be effective, either in terms of offering control or taking wickets, but an attack of Woakes + Robinson + Broad + Anderson, with a dollop of Stokes, seems pretty exciting at the very least.

As for over-rates, I think England will be very slow again in the 30 degree Adelaide heat. Any idea what the next punishment is? They can't fine England any more, so is the next step suspension for Root?

I do think the day-nighters are England's best chance of victory, but I still make Australia around 80-20 favourites for this one. I think England's only realistic path to victory is bowling Australia out for around 150 in the first innings. I struggle to see England making an innings score greater than 250 in this match; indeed if they got rolled out for something that was two digits I wouldn't be surprised.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 1:42 pm

Not only Harris the only man in the Australia XI under pressure but his replacement in Khawaja would stroll into England's side. Sums up England's batting talent really given that the batting is Australia's weak suit!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Dec 2021, 6:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, I read that this pink ball ‘moves around more’ when it gets into the evening. What happens it the ball gets battered before the evening session? Is the ball harder that it can survive more punishment? Or does it move around more in the evening come what may?

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 15 Dec 2021, 7:13 pm

king_carlos wrote:Not only Harris the only man in the Australia XI under pressure but his replacement in Khawaja would stroll into England's side. Sums up England's batting talent really given that the batting is Australia's weak suit!

I don't think Khwaja is any better than the In-Out-dumped conveyor belt of English batsmen
At Least Eng has new potential talents every 18 months.....Khawaja ( and Miitch Marsh) have been Aus's young potential talents for seemingly a decade now Shocked
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 15 Dec 2021, 7:15 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Just out of curiosity, I read that this pink ball ‘moves around more’ when it gets into the evening. What happens it the ball gets battered before the evening session? Is the ball harder that it can survive more punishment? Or does it move around more in the evening come what may?

It's theorized that a the combination  of....
An additional half to one coat of lacquer on the ball to keep it more visible
& Dew/ moisture precipitation in the air and on the pitch as temperature drops after sunset  that makes the ball seam around more
Relative to Red ball subjected to similar wear in a day game

Last edited by KP_fan on Wed 15 Dec 2021, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 15 Dec 2021, 7:18 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Just out of curiosity, I read that this pink ball ‘moves around more’ when it gets into the evening. What happens it the ball gets battered before the evening session? Is the ball harder that it can survive more punishment? Or does it move around more in the evening come what may?

You might find the article below interesting - it doesn’t look like the lights actually have too much effect on how much swing the ball has. Whether it affects the batters visibility might be more accurate, as they aren’t as used to it.

It does tend to seam more throughout the innings than the red ball in Australia - not sure why! So mote movement off the pitch than through the air (swing).

https://www.cricviz.com/the-insight-edge-with-ig-the-pink-kookaburra-ball/

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 7:20 pm

Green in the XI. Pucovski would be if not for concussions. Bryce Street and Henry Hunt look like talents as well. There's been talent coming through.

Khawaja averages over 40 with 8 Test centuries. Not a young player but a very good.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 15 Dec 2021, 7:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:Green in the XI. Pucovski would be if not for concussions. Bryce Street and Henry Hunt look like talents as well. There's been talent coming through.

Khawaja averages over 40 with 8 Test centuries. Not a young player but a very good.

I was intuitively right....."young" Khawaja is only 4 years older than Root Very Happy
and has bashed some runs against WI & some on UAE Patta to fatten his average beyond his skills.....and make it touch 40ish
He has looked not balanced and fidgety each time I have seen him.

Pucovski doesn't play... because he lacked the technical & mental strength to play fast/ short stuff at this level.
We might feel sorry, but it's a harsh truth about him
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 9:04 pm

Has literally anyone in cricket suggested Khawaja is "young" other that you?

He's scored one ton against the Windies and one in the UAE against Abbas, Wahab Riaz and Yasir Shah. Also tons vs New Zealand and South Africa.

He averages over 50 in Australia and would walk into the England side.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:38 pm

https://twitter.com/theage/status/1471261169885270033?s=21

Well this could sabotage everyone’s tipping picks!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:39 pm

KP_fan wrote:

It's theorized that a the combination  of....
An additional half to one coat of lacquer on the ball to keep it more visible
& Dew/ moisture precipitation in the air and on the pitch as temperature drops after sunset  that makes the ball seam around more
Relative to Red ball subjected to similar wear in a day game
Thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:40 pm

JDizzle wrote:

You might find the article below interesting - it doesn’t look like the lights actually have too much effect on how much swing the ball has. Whether it affects the batters visibility might be more accurate, as they aren’t as used to it.

It does tend to seam more throughout the innings than the red ball in Australia - not sure why! So mote movement off the pitch than through the air (swing).

https://www.cricviz.com/the-insight-edge-with-ig-the-pink-kookaburra-ball/
Thank you I’ll give that a read

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:50 pm

JDizzle wrote:https://twitter.com/theage/status/1471261169885270033?s=21

Tom Peck wrote:Another terrible blow for the Cummins family. Pat understood to already be in the Land Rover for the curative drive to Barnard Castle but not expected to return before the fourth test.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 Dec 2021, 12:02 am

JDizzle wrote:https://twitter.com/theage/status/1471261169885270033?s=21

England may start to have a decent chance in this test if both Cummins and Hazlewood miss out!

What's the isolation time in Australia? Is Cummins at risk of missing the Boxing Day test as well (ten days away)?

Seven days apparently, so Cummins will return for the MCG providing he remains healthy in the meantime.

Puts a different meaning on this test with Cummins and Hazlewood out. Starc perhaps feeling a bit of pressure to lead the line, especially as his radar misfired somewhat during the Brisbane game. Will enjoy this brief moment of hope before watching Neser take 5/41!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 2:25 am

No excuses left for England's bats if they can't produce a decent score this time !

Not that I'm expecting it to be easy even with Australia having to call in two reserves ... Richardson and Neser are both good bowlers (as the Lions found out recently in the case of the latter) and the rest of their attack remains intact.

Plus they'll still need to bowl Australia out ...

But surely England ought to feel encouraged that they have been given a lucky break or two here. Up to them to take advantage of it if they're good enough.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:37 am

Australia wins toss and will bat. Leach carrying drinks.

Obviously England need to bowl well today to justify the all pace attack : bowling first the seamers would probably be the main weapons today anyway. Might need some overs from Root in second innings but that is a long way off. No perfect choices but I think this was the best call in the circumstances.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:44 am

Good selection from England. Let's see if they can rattle some cages early on...Broad v Warner reignited.

Looks a belter of a wicket and perfect weather for batting, but with the pink ball England will always feel they're in the game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 4:29 am

Broad very much on the money today. He thought he had Harris then - looked pretty good live but from the replay I thought immediately too high. Didn't think it was missing by that much though !

Aussies have been patient; leaving well. Don't usually see Warner stuck on nought this long .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 4:35 am

Got him now though ! Excellent catch by Jos Buttler clap

Not Broad's best delivery; but he'd earned the wicket with all the pressure beforehand.

Good start for England OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 4:42 am

Got a bit too excited then though and burned a review on Warner...should have trusted the umpire's judgement then.

Warner is still looking a little less than secure. But Labuschagne has started confidently.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 5:00 am

This looks close...what ? TV umpire thinks there was an inside edge ? Really don't think that was bat first.

Ha . Apparently pitched outside leg anyway Smile

England burning reviews as usual.

Surely Warner's luck will run out someday...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 5:16 am

Marnus leaving really well on length , isn't he ? England have to make him play .

Think England will be a little disappointed not to have had any more success yet ; but at the same time they'll feel a wicket might fall at any moment - and perhaps bring more. Ball isn't swinging as they'd have hoped but they've been able to keep the batsmen defending now for fifteen overs - and with four seamers they can keep the spells short. Have to be patient.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 5:47 am

These Stokes no balls are a concern...a nine ball over just now. Not ideal for a player who is still feeling his way back to full throttle.

Broad has overstepped a couple of times too.

Warner getting into his stride with a few boundaries : reckon Australia have done well to lose only one so far - if these two get to lunch they'll be well pleased with the session.

Pitch looks a good one for batting.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 5:52 am

Said it before ... But I really hate these gaps in slips !

That would have been straight to a normal second. Stokes giving Marnus a torrid time that over...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 6:08 am

45/1 off 25. Well done Warner and Labuschagne clap

I'm giving that session to Australia because they lost just the one wicket , although England kept things very tight.

Broad the pick of the bowlers - beat all the bats several times and might easily have had more. And respect to Warner for restraining his natural game to suit the situation and batting through : he will fancy cashing in later.

Highlight that great catch by Buttler : should give him some confidence. He dropped a couple of - very difficult- chances in Brisbane so taking that blinder was the ideal start to this game for him.

Root has kept all his bowlers to short spells which makes sense on a hot day. They'll need to keep their efforts up later on this good batting pitch. Over rate might be an issue...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 6:51 am

Quiet start after lunch. Think this session might be hard work for England's bowlers as there is neither swing nor much in the pitch at this stage.
Anderson and Robinson for the first pairing. Patience the word for the day so far...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:05 am

Robinson has bowled very tightly as he usually does but it must be said he looks pretty tired for D1 of T2. A very good bowler but he is definitely still getting used to the intensity of Tests.

England have been disciplined but so have Australia. It looks a belting wicket to bat on and a very good toss to win. Labuschagne and Warner are doing exactly the right thing by not worrying about the RR, building a platform and putting overs into this all seam attack.

Whilst Australia aren't getting away due to the very disciplined bowling I can't help feeling England need a breakthrough soon as these two are setting a foundation for Smith, Head and Green coming in to bat on a very good wicket against an old ball.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:21 am

Jimmy has looked a bit more threatening since bowling a touch fuller after the break.

Stokes is trying to do a Wagner impression bowling predominantly short to a funky. Whether he's got the fitness at the moment to do that as relentlessly as Wagner does is questionable...

Chance down. Buttler took an absolute screamer to remove Harris but that should have been taken.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:23 am

Nearly the break...Stokes has Marnus flicking it behind to leg but this time Jos can't hang on...

Might be a big moment . England need something soon , for all their discipline , as the skipper comes on with some spin.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:25 am

Welcome aboard , KC ...

Has been a bit lonely on here Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:33 am

Morning/evening Alfie  Hug

I've got work shortly and not from home for a change so I'll have to clock out of the cricket in an hour or so sadly so won't be with you for the duration!

I've had the game on in the background since the first session and have been drifting in and out.

Runs are coming easier as the ball softens which is exactly what you'd expect. This was my worry with an all seam attack. The pink ball can be a bit of a red herring. It does a lot at certain periods but not all day and Adelaide is very flat and scorching hot. Australia are building a platform to just grind this seam attack into the ground. Breakthrough needed.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:41 am

Yeah this pitch looks pretty flat so the chances of taking wickets with a forty over old ball are a bit limited...

Not that I'd be expecting Leach to run through an Australian first innings on it anyway Smile

But it underlines how important the work of Warner and Labuschagne to survive that first session could prove. England need something from somewhere or they're leaving an awful lot for the night session.

Time for a drink.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:44 am

Ian Higgins wrote:Just seen a stat that says that Australia have never lost a match when a captain that had been instated after a dick pic scandal, who had been instated after a ball tampering scandal, has gone down with COVID-19 when a Test match starts on a Thursday and the oppo doesn’t play a spinner

Understand this did happen to Bannerman too once but the Test started on a Wednesday

The Grade Cricketer pair do make me chuckle...

king_carlos

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:45 am

alfie wrote:Yeah this pitch looks pretty flat so the chances of taking wickets with a forty over old ball are a bit limited...

Not that I'd be expecting Leach to run through an Australian first innings on it anyway Smile

But it underlines how important the work of Warner and Labuschagne to survive that first session could prove. England need something from somewhere or they're leaving an awful lot for the night session.

Time for a drink.
It does feel a bit that England are now prioritising keeping it tight until the lights come on and (in theory) batting can get more difficult.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:47 am

50 for Warner. He's judged the situation very well indeed.

Stokes already looking knackered from this Wagner impression.

It's the second session of D1. I have concerns.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 16 Dec 2021, 7:51 am

And fifty - again - for Warner clap

Once again he was a bit fortunate to survive early on : but he battled through the tough times and is reaping the rewards now. Playing once more a vital role for his team...never mind the bruised ribs.

85/1 in the 42nd so it would be slow going indeed without Warner !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next