The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European games round 2

+13
Welshmushroom
geoff999rugby
formerly known as Sam
LeinsterFan4life
thebandwagonsociety
mikey_dragon
doctor_grey
WELL-PAST-IT
neilthom7
yappysnap
RiscaGame
Oakdene
lostinwales
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European games round 2 Empty European games round 2

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Dec 2021, 10:19 am

We won't be far away from just trying to pick out the games that will be played

Yeah I know I just copy the info over from the BBC but its a start

Friday 17th Dec (all 20:00)

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP
Montpellier v Leinster  Montpellier given 28-0 win after another Covid outbreak
Ulster v Northampton Saints

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
Toulon v Zebre
Dragons v Lyon
Gloucester v Benetton

Saturday 18th Dec
EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP
Bath v La Rochelle 13:00
Sale v ASM Clermont Auvergne 15:15
Glasgow Warriors v Exeter Chiefs 17:30
Racing 92 v Ospreys 17:30 Racing given 28-0 win after Covid outbreak
Harlequins v Cardiff Rugby 13:00
Munster v Castres 20:00

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
Worcester Warriors v Biarritz Olympique 15:15
Pau v Saracens Pau given 28-0 win after Covid outbreak at Sarries

Sunday 19th Dec
EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP
Leicester Tigers v Connacht 13:00
Scarlets v Bordeaux Bègles 13:00
Toulouse v Wasps 15:15
Stade Francais v Bristol 17:30

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
London Irish v Brive 15:15

Last edited by lostinwales on Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:57 pm; edited 4 times in total

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

European games round 2 Empty Re: European games round 2

Post by Oakdene Wed 15 Dec 2021, 10:52 am

I'm really hoping that we go fully loaded against Bordeaux not only because we need a win but we have the Welsh derbies coming up in the next couple of weeks. Hoping for a good crowd turnout but I have heard that the WAG may be putting restrictions on crowds, possibly limiting them to 500.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 15 Dec 2021, 10:57 am

I am expecting a big Dragons win tomorrow. 5 points and a James Benjamin hat trick off the bench.

I thank you.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:28 am

RiscaGame wrote:I am expecting a big Dragons win tomorrow. 5 points and a James Benjamin hat trick off the bench.

I thank you.

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:34 am

Oakdene wrote:I'm really hoping that we go fully loaded against Bordeaux not only because we need a win but we have the Welsh derbies coming up in the next couple of weeks. Hoping for a good crowd turnout but I have heard that the WAG may be putting restrictions on crowds, possibly limiting them to 500.

For some reason I read that as debris...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Dec 2021, 1:55 pm

Looks like the Wasps and Bath games are under threat due to positive covid tests.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Dec 2021, 5:48 pm

Pau v Sarries off with Pau awarded a 28-0 win. Several cases in the Sarries squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:42 am

What sort of team are Cardiff going to be able to put out?

We've ended up playing them pretty regularly in Europe and they're always good games, Cardiff often have the better of us too so either way it'll be nice to get one over them!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 16 Dec 2021, 8:35 am

yappysnap wrote:What sort of team are Cardiff going to be able to put out?

We've ended up playing them pretty regularly in Europe and they're always good games, Cardiff often have the better of us too so either way it'll be nice to get one over them!

By all accounts it will be a similar side to the one they put out against Toulouse as the players who were isolating in the hotels wont be match fit.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Dec 2021, 11:27 am

Oakdene wrote:

By all accounts it will be a similar side to the one they put out against Toulouse as the players who were isolating in the hotels wont be match fit.

Cardiff also have some guys doing double isolation as they isolated in Cardiff sorry South Africa and have been told they have to isolate in the UK too.  So some not even out of isolation yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 16 Dec 2021, 12:28 pm

Ulster: Lowry; Gilroy, Hume, McCloskey, McIlroy; Burns, Cooney; Warwick, Herring, M Moore, O'Connor, Henderson (capt); Marcus Rea, Timoney, Vermeulen.

Replacements: Andrew, McGrath, O'Toole, Treadwell, Carter, Jones, Doak, S Moore.

Northampton Saints: Tuala; Sleightholme, Proctor, Dingwall, Skosan; Furbank, Mitchell; Waller, Haywood, Painter, Ribbans, Ratuniyawara; Lawes, Ludlam (capt), Wood.

Replacements: Fish, Iyogun, Carey, Coles, Augustus, James, J Grayson, Hutchinson.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 16 Dec 2021, 1:23 pm

That is a very strong last 5 on the bench for Saints but very surprised that Wood is starting at 8 with Augustus on the bench. He, Augustus, is an 80 minute impact player.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 16 Dec 2021, 1:31 pm

Just saw that. Furbank at 10 should make Eddie Jones happy. Augustus is a beast. I hope Grayson gets some decent game time and does well with it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 16 Dec 2021, 1:37 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

Cardiff also have some guys doing double isolation as they isolated in Cardiff sorry South Africa and have been told they have to isolate in the UK too.  So some not even out of isolation yet.

Sh*tshow. The academy guys and semi-pro's are getting hyped up a bit aren't they. I watched the game and I cannot see why tbh.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 16 Dec 2021, 1:41 pm

Ospreys also need to get their act together just to be able to keep the score down in Paris. They had many advantages against Sale, some created and some gifted, and still lost. Sale did particularly well at the breakdown and in defence, they absolutely swarmed over everything and it worked a treat. They were just okay everywhere else but didn't have to do a lot anyway.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:06 pm

Leinster side;

15. Jimmy O’Brien (38)
14. Adam Byrne (60)
13. Jamie Osborne (9)
12. Ciarán Frawley (42)
11. James Lowe (57)
10. Ross Byrne (111)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (106)

1. Cian Healy (238)
2. Rónan Kelleher (30)
3. Andrew Porter (82)
4. Ryan Baird (34)
5. James Ryan (53) CAPTAIN
6. Max Deegan (71)
7. Dan Leavy (76)
8. Jack Conan (107)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (19)
17. Ed Byrne (75)
18. Vakh Abdaladze (14)
19. Devin Toner (271)
20. Jack Dunne (15)
21. Cormac Foley (1)
22. Tommy O’Brien (13)
23. Scott Penny (31)

From Montpellier website;

TITULAIRES
ENZO FORLETTA 1 CIAN HEALY
JÉRÉMIE MAUROUARD 2 RONAN KELLEHER
MOHAMED HAOUAS 3 ANDREW PORTER
MICKAËL CAPELLI 4 RYAN BAIRD
PAUL WILLEMSE 5 JAMES RYAN (CAP.)
NICOLAAS JANSE VAN RENSBURG 6 MAX DEEGAN
KÉLIAN GALLETIER (CAP.) 7 DAN LEAVY
MARCO TAULEIGNE 8 JACK CONAN
GELA APRASIDZE 9 JAMISON GIBSON-PARK
LOUIS FOURSANS 10 ROSS BYRNE
GABRIEL NGANDEBE 11 JAMES LOWE
PIERRE LUCAS 12 CIARAN FRAWLEY
YVAN REILHAC 13 JAMIE OSBORNE
JOSUA VICI 14 ADAM BYRNE
THOMAS DARMON 15 JIMMY O'BRIEN
REMPLAÇANTS
BRANDON PAENGA AMOSA 16 DAN SHEEHAN
ROBERT RODGERS 17 ED BYRNE
MALIK HAMADACHE 18 VAKH ABDALADZE
ZACH MERCER 19 DEVIN TONER
AUBIN EYMERI 20 JACK DUNNE
AXEL BEVIA 21 CORMAC FOLEY
KARL MARTIN 22 TOMMY O'BRIEN
TYLER DUGUID 23 SCOTT PENNY

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:08 pm

Leinster going for a 6-2 split on the bench. Frawley probably covering the 10 position. That side is there for the taking.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:33 pm

Anyone know anything about that Montpellier side? I see that they have Karl Martin in the side who was being considered for the Leinster academy at one stage.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 16 Dec 2021, 3:50 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Anyone know anything about that Montpellier side? I see that they have Karl Martin in the side who was being considered for the Leinster academy at one stage.
unfortunately no, mate. Can’t get Top 14 on any platform where I live. Two years ago I had Top14 and one or two D2 matches per week.

Zach Mercer was a fringe England back row who didn’t catch EJ’s fancy. Good player.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 16 Dec 2021, 4:15 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:Anyone know anything about that Montpellier side? I see that they have Karl Martin in the side who was being considered for the Leinster academy at one stage.
unfortunately no, mate.  Can’t get Top 14 on any platform where I live.  Two years ago I had Top14 and one or two D2 matches per week.

Zach Mercer was a fringe England back row who didn’t catch EJ’s fancy.  Good player.
It's hard to follow what's happening in the other leagues with ultimate rugby putting everything behind a pay wall. Sad

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 16 Dec 2021, 5:35 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
unfortunately no, mate.  Can’t get Top 14 on any platform where I live.  Two years ago I had Top14 and one or two D2 matches per week.

Zach Mercer was a fringe England back row who didn’t catch EJ’s fancy.  Good player.
It's hard to follow what's happening in the other leagues with ultimate rugby putting everything behind a pay wall. Sad
I agree. Every league is harder to follow because almost everything is behind a paywall. The Premiership is one paywall, URC is another (just took advantage of a half price sale), the southern hemisphere is a third paywall, and then there is Amazon.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 16 Dec 2021, 9:31 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

Zach Mercer has apparently hit the ground running in France. He's a very good ball carrier, explosive but isn't the biggest. Would probably have some caps if he was Irish as he's the type of backrow they like. Eddie likes his backrows bigger normally, unless they are an openside.

They seem to be missing quite a few of the players I'd associate with them. No Garbisi and no Pollard at 10. Serfontaine, Vincent and Doumaryou none are included at centre etc.

Think Leinster will win at a canter.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 16 Dec 2021, 9:34 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Zach Mercer has apparently hit the ground running in France. He's a very good ball carrier, explosive but isn't the biggest. Would probably have some caps if he was Irish as he's the type of backrow they like. Eddie likes his backrows bigger normally, unless they are an openside.

They seem to be missing quite a few of the players I'd associate with them. No Garbisi and no Pollard at 10. Serfontaine, Vincent and Doumaryou none are included at centre etc.

The game has been called off, the tournament is a farce again this year unfortunately.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 16 Dec 2021, 10:06 pm

Gloucester vs Benetton

Gloucester: Evans; Rees-Zammit, Harris, Twelvetrees, May; Hastings, Meehan; Rapava-Ruskin, Singleton, Gotovtsev, Clarke, Alemanno, Reid, Ludlow (c), Ackermann.

Replacements: Walker, Ford-Robinson, Balmain, Davidson, Clement, Varney, Kveseladze, Moyle.

Benetton: Pani; Padovani, Mononcello, Riera, Ioane; Smith, Braley; Lamaro, Zuliani, Negri, Ruzza, Herbst, Pasquali, Lucchesi, Gallo.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:46 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

The game has been called off, the tournament is a farce again this year unfortunately.

Yep was a farce last week when we had to forfeit our game against Bristol.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 17 Dec 2021, 10:23 am

It will be empty stadiums again pretty soon I suspect. BJ will have to show he is doing something after last nights result.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 17 Dec 2021, 11:23 am

With the new format a loss is not the end of the road.

Two wins and you are through and as the last 16 is 2 leg it is not that important where you finish.
This first phase is little more than the weeding out of the poorer trams.

Unless a team has really bad luck they should qualify regardless

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Dec 2021, 11:36 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:It will be empty stadiums again pretty soon I suspect. BJ will have to show he is doing something after last nights result.

The problem he has is that his party is split hence the nearly 100 that voted against him in the week. More measures won't necessarily help him as Tory leader, it's a business first party and the knock on effect of empty stadiums is bad for business. Is media pals will want maximum atmosphere for the Christmas sporting calendar.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:With the new format a loss is not the end of the road.

Two wins and you are through and as the last 16 is 2 leg it is not that important where you finish.
This first phase is little more than the weeding out of the poorer trams.

Unless a team has really bad luck they should qualify regardless

That's assuming they don't keep giving french home sides 5 point wins. Would imagine it will get harder to qualify at that point purely because everyone will have wins and the french sides banked 5 points without teams getting a chance to pick up any losing bonus points.

I'd be pretty annoyed as a fan if my side failed to qualify to a side that benefited from automatic 5 point wins. Granted Racing would probably have eased through anyway but Montpellier could have been out of qualification running by round 3. Now they genuinely could make the knockout stages at the costs of someone else.

Only positive from my side is this is unlikely to have affected the Welsh Teams who simply don't deserve knockout rugby in Europe as we have all been poor for one reason or another. Not so sure I could say the same if I was English or Irish at this point.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:39 pm

Steward on the wing never works so that will dent the Tigers attack. Ford gets a week off completely which is slightly surprising. Didn't expect the 6:2 bench but we may some injuries hence Steward at 14. 
STARTING XV
15 Bryce Hegarty [4]
14 Freddie Steward [42]
13 Matt Scott [32]
12 Dan Kelly [28]
11 Hosea Saumaki [4]
10 Freddie Burns [83]
9 Ben Youngs [270]
1 Nephi Leatigaga [51]
2 Nic Dolly [10]
3 Joe Heyes [82]
4 Harry Wells [135]
5 Eli Snyman [6]
6 George Martin [25]
7 Tommy Reffell [57]
8 Jasper Wiese [25]
REPLACEMENTS
16 Julián Montoya [11]
17 James Whitcombe [9]
18 Dan Cole [274]
19 Calum Green [70]
20 Ollie Chessum [18]
21 Marco van Staden [6]
22 Jack van Poortvliet [30]
23 Guy Porter [27]
Connacht Rugby: 15 Tiernan O'Halloran, 14 John Porch, 13 Sam Arnold, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 Alex Wootton, 10 Jack Carty (c), 9 Kieran Marmion; 1 Matthew Burke, 2 David Heffernan, 3 Finlay Bealham, 4 Ultan Dillane, 5 Niall Murray, 6 Cian Prendergast, 7 Conor Oliver, 8 Jarrad Butler.
Replacements: 16 Shane Delahunt, 17 Tietie Tuimauga, 18 Jack Aungier, 19 Leva Fifita, 20 Abraham Papali'i, 21 Caolin Blade, 22 Conor Fitzgerald, 23 Diarmuid Kilgallen

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:44 pm

Bernard Jackman has just tweeted

All French teams who were due to travel this weekend for #ChampionsCup Rugby games have now decided not to.

That's Bath, Sale, Scarlets, London Irish, Dragons - he was only definite about UK matches

Having said that some teams are already here so who knows what is going on
Also Murray Kinsella says it is under consideration

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:06 pm

Ospreys have pulled out of their trip too. 28-0 5 point win awarded to Racing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:25 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Bernard Jackman has just tweeted

All French teams who were due to travel this weekend for #ChampionsCup Rugby games have now decided not to.

That's Bath, Sale, Scarlets, London Irish, Dragons - he was only definite about UK matches

Having said that some teams are already here so who knows what is going on
Also Murray Kinsella says it is under consideration

LI are in the Challenge Cup - is it the same for this tournament as well?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:32 pm

Ah - just found this:

Following a meeting of the EPCR Board today (Friday, 17 December) it has been decided that due to current exceptional circumstances, Round 2 matches in the Heineken Champions Cup and EPCR Challenge Cup between French and UK clubs scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday are postponed.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:38 pm

So I wonder if this means the Ospreys and Sarries matches will now be rescheduled too rather than a 28-0 win awarded to the French clubs?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm

Dragons v Lyon is definitely on. Lyon were in the air when Jackman tweeted that.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:57 pm

Heaf wrote:So I wonder if this means the Ospreys and Sarries matches will now be rescheduled too rather than a 28-0 win awarded to the French clubs?

They can’t be rescheduled!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:58 pm

Heaf wrote:Ah - just found this:

Following a meeting of the EPCR Board today (Friday, 17 December) it has been decided that due to current exceptional circumstances, Round 2 matches in the Heineken Champions Cup and EPCR Challenge Cup between French and UK clubs scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday are postponed.

What a joke competition. As it's the French teams they've decided not to award a 28-0 win to the oppoisiton. How annoyed must all the teams be who were told to forfeit.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 17 Dec 2021, 3:37 pm

You reap what you sow

Many (including on here) wanted the management of the European competitions to be moved away from Dublin even if it meant the move to Switzerland made France the dominant party.

This has resulted in a big drop in sponsorship money from the sole tournament sponsor and
now Covid related decisions to suit the French

Be careful what you wish for

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Dec 2021, 3:45 pm

Ah right, so games can be postponed and rescheduled now? Not what I was told in round 1 Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 17 Dec 2021, 4:06 pm

They had better do the right thing by Saracens, Leinster and Ospreys then (Scarlets too?)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 17 Dec 2021, 4:19 pm

Really, should just cancel and start again next season. They won't because of the money but this is not going to get much better by the next round of Euro games.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm

All those teams who were told to forefeit games and handed losses need to have those overturned, they cannot decide torearrange for some and not for all.

No idea when they are planning to play these games but if they have times for some then they have to do it for all.

And if they are planning to go to 1 legged last 16 matches to accomodate this then it is even more important all those teams be allowed to play their matches so they have a chance to get home draws.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 17 Dec 2021, 7:36 pm

The Oracle wrote:Ah right, so games can be postponed and rescheduled now? Not what I was told in round 1 Headscratch

Exactly - nothing like making it up as you go along eh?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:12 pm

On the bright side, my team Dragons’ game is going ahead currently at home and we’re looking especially garbage against what I can only assume is a very much second string Lyon side!

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:20 pm

Big Stu McCloskey's game is over, hamstring issue. Ulster leading 14-6 at the moment, Stuart Moore on

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:24 pm

Ulster playing some lovely rugby but giving away pens to let Saints stay in this

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:40 pm

Really interesting game this. Ulster have had all the attacking highlights but fold under very little pressure and cough up penalties in their own half.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:47 pm

That last play a good summary of the half, Ulster get pressure and into Saints 22 then completely mess it up.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 9:09 pm

Iain Henderson off with an injury, just when we got him abck too, hope that isn't too serious

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next