The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 - 5 Who Will, 5 Who Won't

5 posters

Go down

2022 - 5 Who Will, 5 Who Won't  Empty 2022 - 5 Who Will, 5 Who Won't

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 06 Jan 2022, 11:31 am

It's that time of year again. Who do you think will or won't??

Those who will:

1. Canelo Alvarez. Cruises to an easy UD and wins a Cruiser Belt. His opponent loves his paycheck.

2. Oleksander Usyk. Dominates Joshua again in the rematch and sets up a super fight with Fury.

3. Josh Taylor. Destroys Jack Catterall and sets his sights on either moving up to Welter or matching with Lopez.

4. George Kambosos. Follows up his dismantling of Lopez with a UD over Devin Haney, who, once again, is underwhelming. A Loma fight beckons.

5. Callum Johnson. Gets in quick against Joe Smith Jr and knocks him down 4 times in the first 2 rounds, forcing an unlikely and surprising stoppage. Sets up a big duel with Callum Smith.

And those who won't...

1. Gervonta Davis. Despite his obvious ability, legal issues once again are a thorn in Tank's side. He has a decent return to form ko against a B grade opponent before he spends several months in court.

2. Errol Spence Jr. Fights Ugas for his 3rd title and although he wins a scrappy decision, he's unconvincing and the much vaunted fight against Bud Crawford remains unmakeable.

3. Dillian Whyte. IF his WBC shot happens, Fury dominates him and finishes him in 7 rounds. If not, he fights for the vacant belt against Fat Andy, who knocks him cold.

4. Jermell Charlo. Continues to squeak by against mandatory opponents who have next to no chance of winning, and refuses to fight Castano again, as he knows he will lose.

5. Amir Khan and Kell Brook. Thankfully after their long-awaited fight, both retire and that's the last we see of either of them inside the ring.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

2022 - 5 Who Will, 5 Who Won't  Empty Re: 2022 - 5 Who Will, 5 Who Won't

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 06 Jan 2022, 12:34 pm

I think Taylor-Crawford might well happen later in the year.

Taylor's upcoming fight against Catterall will probably be his last at 140. He's been saying recently that he'd have liked three fights this year, given the slow pace of 2020 and 2021, but he's getting married in the Summer and says he'll be taking some time off for that, so two is more realistic. That leaves Catterall in February (which he should win with something to spare, albeit that's tempting fate) and then another fight in the last quarter of the year in all likelihood.

He doesn't seem too fussed about Lopez, especially now he's coming off a loss, and Lomachenko seems to be focussed on getting his Lightweight titles back rather than moving up to Light-Welter. Zepeda has been installed as Taylor's WBC mandatory, and that's a very decent fight against a good opponent for Taylor...But he's had a good number of those kind of contests already. I think he wants the biggest fights now to try and elevate himself to that tip-top level and Zepeda doesn't quite do that, or provide enough incentive to make 140 again (he's a big guy for the weight).

Him and Crawford have conveniently been bumping into each other at events recently, and Crawford in particular is really drumming up the talk about how it'd be a big fight, that he respects Taylor and would love to take him on etc. Seems to me that both camps fancy this one and are trying to lay the early tracks to get people interested. Goes without saying, that's a proper fight and one you could really get excited about.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 06 Jan 2022, 2:12 pm

It's an intriguing match up isn't it. Let's hope it gets made.

So who are your 10 then Chris? Who will, who won't??

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm

Interesting fights Bouncey..

I think Joshua beats Usyk....Just needs to land one good shot and I think he will be more aggressive.

First fight was like Holmes v Spinks....When Holmes charged in the second he had Spinks in trouble and won 9 rounds and lost.

Robbed.

Canelo wins but in a tougher than anticipated clash where he gets hurt by a proper 200 pounder...

Think Taylor stays at the weight and thrives....Catterall like you say is routine.

Don't think Whyte fights for the title again....Beats a harmless opponent. Maybe the fellow IBF trialhorse Martin in April.

Chisora carries on and fights as chief support...Maybe Ortiz.

Either Brook or Khan quits after six and enjoys their millions from the fight.

They both have quit in the past.. Khan's being the worst against Crawford.

Lomo gets Kambo and becomes top of the pile.. Beats Lopez to cement it.

Eubank steals a living for another 12 months.

Benn beats a pillow punching fading ex champ and looks for the weakest belt...

Fury defends but doesn't fight Josh.

Crawford decisions Spence.

Courtenay loses her rematch..Katie Tayloe loses..

Savannah becomes top Brit..

Rachel Ball impresses..

Covid restrictions lift at Easter..

Boris Johnson leaves Downing St....GOP take both houses.. and a partridge leaves a pear tree.

TRUSSMAN66

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 06 Jan 2022, 3:29 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:So who are your 10 then Chris? Who will, who won't??

With varying levels of conviction, I'll say....

Good Year / Will

Mairis Briedis: Gets some overdue acclaim from British fans by beating Okolie in a unification fight to underline his status as the best Cruiserweight.

Jermell Charlo: I disagree here. I think he'll repeat what he did after losing (albeit I thought it was an iffy verdict) to Harrison - look much better in a rematch, defeat Castano to become undisputed at 154 and then possibly go in search of Middleweight honours.

Vassyl Lomachenko: Outclasses Kambosos to get the Lightweight titles back, takes one of the young Lightweight pretenders (possibly Haney or Lopez in a rematch if he gets him before Lopez goes to 140) to school afterwards.

Noaya Inoue: At long last gets back into the big time, beating the winner of Casimero-Donaire to sew up all the titles at 118 and then wins a belt at 122 by the end of the year.

Brandon Glanton: Builds on the unexpected and exciting win over Apochi by moving up the Cruiser ratings and getting a WBA shot by the end of the year. Gets a few more people watching the division.

Bad Year / Won't

Keith Thurman: Wins but doesn't impress on his big return next month, loses convincingly later in the year to one of the old guard at Welter (Crawford, Spence etc.) or one of the up-and-comers who'll use him as a stepping stone (Ennis, Ortiz etc.)

Dmitry Bivol: Probably beats Ramirez, but misses his chance to shine or excite in doing so and goes quietly back to taking care of his WBA mandatories, never attracting the big names, remaining just about the least loved unbeaten and world-class fighter in the sport.

Derek Chisora: Will trudge on, get a semi-decent or semi-big fight at some stage, lose again, complain that he was robbed / not in fighting shape again, but get called a 'legend' by Bunce and Hearn again.

Tank Davis: The Broner of his time. Will keep fluttering anywhere between 130 and 140 looking for the easiest 'regular' or 'interim' straps, knocking out hand-picked brawlers without a punch, without risking it against the very best in or around those divisions.

Billy Joe Saunders: Spends the year talking a good game and promising an imminent big announcement, but sits it out, doesn't fight once and the only other times we hear from him will be due to his never-ending legal troubles or predictable social gaffes.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 06 Jan 2022, 10:19 pm

Well that's one of my predictions gone. Johnson is out of his fight vs Smith due to covid19. Nuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59900309

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 12 Jan 2022, 11:36 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Mairis Briedis: Gets some overdue acclaim from British fans by beating Okolie in a unification fight to underline his status as the best Cruiserweight.

I take this back - Briedis is now relegated to loathsome beta male status after his embarrassing call out of Jake Paul. World's best Cruiser calling out a YouTuber and getting a frigging tattoo of his name on his leg for some publicity? Damn.

I'll forgive him if he gets his head back in the real world and takes care of Okolie. Otherwise Briedis goes WAY down in my estimations for that. Any serious fighter encouraging these freak shows is culpable for the sport going ever further down the toilet. So I'm allowed to be this immature about it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 13 Jan 2022, 5:11 pm

I've always thought that Briedis was a bit a doorknob, and this confirms it. I know some fighters are about legacy, but others are all about the money, and that's exactly where Briedis has gone - straight to the cashpoint; that's the one in the seedy area of town that clones your card.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 13 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm

Never really had an opinion on him as a character before, Bounce, but think he's a very good (and underrated) fighter indeed....But what a cringe move. I'll be team Okolie now if / when that fight happens, unless he repents!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Wed 19 Jan 2022, 3:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Interesting fights Bouncey..

I think Joshua beats Usyk....Just needs to land one good shot and I think he will be more aggressive.

First fight was like Holmes v Spinks....When Holmes charged in the second he had Spinks in trouble and won 9 rounds and lost.

Robbed.

Canelo wins but in a tougher than anticipated clash where he gets hurt by a proper 200 pounder...

Think Taylor stays at the weight and thrives....Catterall like you say is routine.

Don't think Whyte fights for the title again....Beats a harmless opponent. Maybe the fellow IBF trialhorse Martin in April.

Chisora carries on and fights as chief support...Maybe Ortiz.

Either Brook or Khan quits after six and enjoys their millions from the fight.

They both have quit in the past.. Khan's being the worst against Crawford.

Lomo gets Kambo and becomes top of the pile.. Beats Lopez to cement it.

Eubank steals a living for another 12 months.

Benn beats a pillow punching  fading ex champ and looks for the weakest belt...

Fury defends but doesn't fight Josh.

Crawford decisions Spence.

Courtenay loses her rematch..Katie Tayloe loses..

Savannah becomes top Brit..

Rachel Ball impresses..

Covid restrictions lift at Easter..

Boris Johnson leaves Downing St....GOP take both houses..  and a partridge leaves a pear tree.

Holmes wasn't robbed in the second Spinks fight. He dominated the first four rounds then routinely let Spinks off through the rest of the fight. Spinks landed more pitter patter jabs which Holmes seemed to allow. Holmes blew that rematch and Spinks was a worthy winner.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:42 pm

Consensus has Larry winning 9 rounds..

You can disagree but it was regarded as a robbery..

You can make the case Lewis v Holy was a draw.. Holy won three rounds and he did come close in 3 rounds..etc..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 25 Jan 2022, 8:23 am

I can see either Holy winning three,or three as a draw,but not both.Lewis had over six rounds in the bag.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Jan 2022, 11:14 am

I don't think it was a draw either...But as with Spinks v Holmes 2 you can find your way to a Spinks win if you pull out all the stops.

Holmes as with Lewis you don't have to do that.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down