The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Wales Match Thread

+23
Brendan
No9
eirebilly
Sgt_Pooly
neilthom7
tigertattie
Pete330v2
Maine man
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
Gooseberry
RiscaGame
LeinsterFan4life
boomeranga
Dirtydave
Oakdene
geoff999rugby
mikey_dragon
LordDowlais
majesticimperialman
Unclear
Collapse2005
Luckless Pedestrian
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ireland v Wales Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Ireland v Wales Match Thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Feb 2022, 3:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland v Wales
Date: Saturday 5th February 2022

Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Kick-off: 2:15pm

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)

Ireland: Keenan; Conway, Ringrose, Aki, Hansen; Sexton (c), Gibson-Park; Porter, Kelleher, Furlong; Beirne, Ryan; Doris, van der Flier, Conan.

Replacements: Sheehan, Healy, Bealham, Baird, O'Mahony, Murray, Carbery, Hume.

Wales: L Williams; McNicholl, Adams, Tompkins, Rees-Zammit; Biggar, T Williams; W Jones, Elias, Francis; Rowlands, Beard; E Jenkins, Basham, Wainwright.

Replacements: Lake, G Thomas, D Lewis, S Davies, Moriarty, G Davies, Sheedy, Watkin.

Luckless Pedestrian

thebandwagonsociety and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Wales Match Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland v Wales Match Thread

Post by Dirtydave Sat 05 Feb 2022, 7:11 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Dirtydave wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Dirtydave wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Dirtydave wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Dirtydave wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Guy who calls a player ‘a cancer on the team’ now up on arms because people described the team as ‘playing poorly’ :Picard:

Whos up in arms? Did I not state Wales played poorly before giving reasons why?

Do you think Elias played well?

You! Your words: “Amazing to hear comments about Wales playing poorly...” Then you criticise others for daring the question the performance. Then you too said Wales played poorly! Are you amazed at yourself too?!

Do you believe this wales team played poorly? Or do you think this Wales team have been decimated by injuries?

Did anyone predict anything other than an Ireland win?

To say Wales played poorly states you expected more from a scratch team, surely your not that deluded that you expected a Wales win?

Well that's just really really stupid. As you can both have injuries and play badly.

So you expected more from this Wales team?

Nope.

So your point of view is Wales didn't play badly them?

No.

So I'm going to state this as basic as possbible...

You expected am injury hit Wales to lose by 20 points, but also believe they played worse than you expected while losing by 20 points?

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Feb 2022, 7:12 pm

I believe both of those opening questions/statements. Wales were decimated by injuries, but the team we put out I think played poorly. I think the team we put out were good enough to limit Ireland to a closer final score. Let’s not forget the points left on the pitch by Ireland. They really should have been more than 10-0 up at half time. They threw an intercept in their own 22 to give us our only points, and aside from that we created nothing of note. In reality that was more like a 35 or 40 - nil game. And therefore, in my opinion, I think those selected were poor. I never expected a win. But to be almost nilled save for a lucky try at the end is under-performance given the team we put out. Some of it is to do with players not playing to their full potential, some due to players out of position (Adams was badly exposed in midfield). Seeing Liam Williams towards the end trying to crash-ball it through the Ireland defence in his own 22 was poor. He’s better than that. Yet he made a poor decision and was thrown around like a rag doll as a result. Luckily we retained possession (I think). But this was one of our most capped players and multiple Lion. Nothing to do with it being a scratch team. He is not ‘scratch’. But he had poor moments.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Feb 2022, 7:13 pm

Well it's simple for a person who isn't thick. I expected them to play badly and lose heavily.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm

Listen all. That sleeper account is gone. If I’m wrong, well I’ll take it on the chin.

Don’t call out another. If it’s there, I see it. I know there’s another Welsh poster here, that’s a banned user too. He won’t be here much longer either.

Don’t disrupt threads calling miaow. Or otherwise it’s equally disruptive.

RiscaGame

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 05 Feb 2022, 7:46 pm

Good result. Thought we could have won by a little more.

Pleased to see Hansen having a good debut.
Team played some good rugby. Great start.

Tough test in Paris next week. Have to bring our A game if we’re going to get the win.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Feb 2022, 7:50 pm

Thought Porter was great for Ireland. A real menace. Would love to have him (and Furlong!) in the Wales team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Sat 05 Feb 2022, 8:03 pm

I'm disappointed in both teams. I'm disappointed Ireland didn't score more and hold Wales to nil. I'm disappointed that Wales posed so little threat.

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Feb 2022, 8:20 pm

I dont know who got MOM, i turned over  for the England game straight after the final whistle.

If it was going to be a Welsh player Very Happy Very Happy  it would have to go to Basham, he was the best Welsh player on the field.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Feb 2022, 9:33 pm

Who did get Man of the Match by the way?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Feb 2022, 9:40 pm

The Oracle wrote:Thought Porter was great for Ireland. A real menace. Would love to have him (and Furlong!) in the Wales team.

Porter around the park was massive. I think Francis had a slight bum deal off the officials in the scrums. But that’s not neutral obviously. Porter has great hair too, so even more of a fan. He really is a giant of a man. Probably won’t be a front row player’s favourite mind, with his shape Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 05 Feb 2022, 10:00 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Who did get Man of the Match by the way?

Mackenzie Hansen

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 05 Feb 2022, 10:01 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I dont know who got MOM, i turned over  for the England game straight after the final whistle.

If it was going to be a Welsh player Very Happy Very Happy  it would have to go to Basham, he was the best Welsh player on the field.

Think Basham was the best player on the pitch as no one really stood out for Ireland and Wales were quite poor really.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Feb 2022, 10:08 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Who did get Man of the Match by the way?

Mackenzie Hansen

cheers. for that.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Feb 2022, 10:32 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Thought Porter was great for Ireland. A real menace. Would love to have him (and Furlong!) in the Wales team.

Porter around the park was massive. I think Francis had a slight bum deal off the officials in the scrums. But that’s not neutral obviously. Porter has great hair too, so even more of a fan. He really is a giant of a man. Probably won’t be a front row player’s favourite mind, with his shape Wink

Yeah, it’s always a bit of a lottery knowing who to praise and who to blame in the scrums. Could be anything from awesome props to weak props, non-hooking hookers, strong scrummaging locks or weak locks, players pulling down, driving across, early shoving, not shoving at all, etc., etc. Nightmare to ref and to guess as a spectator. So it was more Porter’s play around the park I was talking about. Just seemed to be involved in a lot and came out on top. Clearing out, dominant tackles, ripping the ball. Just a menace, in a good way (if you’re not Welsh!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Sat 05 Feb 2022, 10:55 pm

"Porter has great hair too"

You need to get Roberts to grow his again now you lot have stolen him Very Happy

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Feb 2022, 11:00 pm

Agree Unclear Wink

I agree scrums are subjective Oracle, I just think Francis was hard done by. I could be wrong. It in no way detracts from Porter around the park. He was unreal. Playing past the cliche 60 min mark too, was a plus anyway. Hell of an athlete.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 06 Feb 2022, 9:47 am

People might laugh at me for this but I actually  thought Wales were better at the scrum and Peyper got a lot of calls there wrong. If you can get away with it then you get away with it I guess. Agree that Porter was very good, and Ireland’s defence was also very good. Hansen had a good debut but I thought there were better candidates for MOTM.

Not much positive to say about Wales, seeing as everything we said would happen, happened. Pivac really rode his luck last year. The loss ratio since he took over and the manner of the losses have been particularly bad. He should go now before we become the laughing stock again.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 06 Feb 2022, 10:30 am

Yeah Wales had a decent scrum, think there was parity there.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 06 Feb 2022, 10:42 am

With regards to Wales, just about every 6nations they start slow loosing the first game then get better as the tournament does on.

Based on yesterday's performance do you think that Wales can get better?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 06 Feb 2022, 10:55 am

Sexton for me showed he is still head and shoulders above all other 10s in the 6n. Should have been Lions starter. Crazy decision by Gatland.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Feb 2022, 12:30 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:With regards to Wales, just about every 6nations they start slow loosing the first game then get better as the tournament does on.

True, wales have a habit of starting slowly. And they seem to be a team that builds momentum the more they are together. But I think all teams benefit from being together for the 6N and I would imagine all would improve as the tournament progresses. For me it is the fixture list that plays a big part. For wales, if they can pick up a couple of wins at the start then they get on a roll. Lose a few and the pressure builds and we struggle to get any wins. An Italy away win first up is a nice hit out to get you going and give the team confidence!

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sun 06 Feb 2022, 2:17 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:With regards to Wales, just about every 6nations they start slow loosing the first game then get better as the tournament does on.

Wales do traditionally start Autumn fixtures slowly but 6 Nations not really the case.. The last 10 years first games by Wales (not including this year)..

Sun 05 Feb 12 Ireland 21 - 23 Wales
Sat 02 Feb 13 Wales 22 - 30 Ireland
Sun 07 Feb 16 Ireland 16 - 16 Wales
Sat 03 Feb 18 Wales 34 - 7 Scotland
Fri 01 Feb 19 France 19 - 24 Wales
Sat 01 Feb 20 Wales 42 - 0 Italy
Fri 06 Feb 15 Wales 16 - 21 England
Sat 01 Feb 14 Wales 23 - 15 Italy
Sun 05 Feb 17 Italy 7 - 33 Wales
Sun 07 Feb 21 Wales 21 - 16 Ireland

Wales first games 7 Wins ; 1 draw ; 2 losses

So "...Wales, just about every 6nations they start slow loosing the first game..." is not true.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 06 Feb 2022, 2:55 pm

No9 wrote:

Wales do traditionally start Autumn fixtures slowly but 6 Nations not really the case.. The last 10 years first games by Wales (not including this year)..

So "...Wales, just about every 6nations they start slow loosing the first game..." is not true.

I stand corrected. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sun 06 Feb 2022, 3:26 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
No9 wrote:

I stand corrected. thumbsup

Doesn’t change the fact that we where Poopie and I can’t see us winning a game this year… Italy maybe, but no way guaranteed.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Feb 2022, 3:39 pm

I stand corrected too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 06 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm

Wow that's bizarre - I would have thought the same before those stats - wonder how we all ended up with that incorrect memory Erm

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 06 Feb 2022, 4:04 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Sexton for me showed he is still head and shoulders above all other 10s in the 6n. Should have been Lions starter. Crazy decision by Gatland.

For sure and he was very sharp yesterday. Even looked a touch quicker than he has been in his latter years. Think my pick of the 10s would be Ntamack though
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 06 Feb 2022, 8:27 pm

theslosty wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Sexton for me showed he is still head and shoulders above all other 10s in the 6n. Should have been Lions starter. Crazy decision by Gatland.

For sure and he was very sharp yesterday. Even looked a touch quicker than he has been in his latter years. Think my pick of the 10s would be Ntamack though

His kicking was way off and he had a bit of an armchair ride in this game. Declaring that he shouldve been selected as a starter for a tour 9 months ago off the basis of one game is a bit fruity. Had he been playing the best rugby in the NH in the build up to the tour he no doubt wouldve been selected, but he hadnt. A lot of the talk around that time for Ireland was his future and whether he was holding back their need to get a new options at 10 pushed to improve at test level prior to the WC. He only played 1 test between the end of that 6 nations and the start of this one, which kinda suggests Gatland may have had a point about his injury status.

Sure he looked back on song (goal kicking aside) and throughly deserves to be Irelands first choice, and has the best career performances of any active 10 in the NH hands down. And FWIW I think he shouldve been in the squad for the Lions, but as its panned it its probably benefited Ireland he didnt travel and got a light summer to recuperate instead.

Head and shoulders above the current model of Russell? Can forgive overlooking Ntamack and Smith who still have to live up to their potential.

But this is a bit of hyperbolic round up of his performance and status. But he is defying his age for sure, and will go down as a legend.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 07 Feb 2022, 7:22 am

I disagree, Sexton was also excellent in last years six nations. The rationale for him not getting selected seemed to be that he was injured a lot but the reality is that he rarely misses key games. He has about 110 caps. Id definitely pick him ahead of Smith, Russell, Biggar, Ford or Farrell. Ntamack has been very strong lately to be fair.

Hyperbole in my view would be to say his kicking was way off when he only missed two kicks in swirling wind and some on the ones he nailed were tough kicks.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Mon 07 Feb 2022, 8:44 pm

A lot of positivity this side of the Irish Sea following that win. Personally I thought Ireland were a little disappointing and will need to be much better against France. Wales were just more disappointing. However most disappointing of all in my mind was Josh Adams only getting a yellow for that hit on Sexton. I can understand that he was have having a tough day, left exposed by his teammates but there is no excuse for ignoring the ball and chinning an opposition player. It was cheap, it was dirty, and he meant it. He should have seen red.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 07 Feb 2022, 9:46 pm

Yeah I didnt think Ireland were the finished article either to be honest but a win v Wales is a good start. Plenty to work on.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 07 Feb 2022, 9:50 pm

Didn't think Adams hit Sexton on the chin, it was a cheap shot though, and I've seen Sexton not milk it when he's had worse. It was a very decent performance from Ireland but they did leave points out there. The state of the game between both nations is at opposite ends of the spectrum, and I think the gap will only widen. Porter, VDF or either of the halfbacks should have been player of the match.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 08 Feb 2022, 10:01 am

mikey_dragon wrote: Porter, VDF or either of the halfbacks should have been player of the match.

JGP - really ?
His passing was down right ropey - probably Irelands worst player

For me Ireland lacked some grunt in the 2nd row.
Henderson is a stone heavier than both Ryan and Beirne - Ireland will need that power against France but it will be a big call to start with him
Kelleher had a bad throw but there is no doubt he is getting better

The centre were excellent - Porter or Aki for me

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 08 Feb 2022, 11:20 am

From what I could tell at the time, which isn't saying much, Gibson-Park was good and ran the show quite well along with Sexton. I don't really want to go back and watch it again to re-assess... Aki and Ringrose were also very good.

Beirne can play 6 pretty well so I'd opt for that.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 08 Feb 2022, 11:23 am

That means dropping Doris who is outstanding.
Happy problem to have

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3