The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feb/March 2022 Tournaments

+10
Henman Bill
No name Bertie
Born Slippy
andyi
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
Soul Requiem
slashermcguirk
naxroy
sirfredperry
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Feb/March 2022 Tournaments Empty Feb/March 2022 Tournaments

Post by sirfredperry Sat 12 Feb 2022, 3:15 pm

F A-A has beaten Murray and Cameron Norrie on successive days to reach the semis in Rotterdam. He's doing really well.

Djoko is expected to be back in action soon. Be interesting to see crowd reaction when he plays.

While Murray may soon not need WCs into the big events, the whole use of them can be questioned after what happened in a match in women's qualifying in Dubai today. Kuwait's Sarah Behbehani, with no ranking, was given a WC and played Britain's Harriet Dart.

Dart won in just 28 mins 6-0, 6-0, with her opponent winning FOUR POINTS. I don't know if this is some sort of a record but it's clear from the stats that this Kuwaiti girl should not have been on court.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Feb/March 2022 Tournaments Empty Re: Feb/March 2022 Tournaments

Post by Guest Sun 13 Feb 2022, 5:07 pm

Felix Auger-Aliassime outclassed Stefanos Tsitsipas to claim long overdue maiden ATP title. FAA won 6-4 6-2 and it was a fantastic performance. Incredible to think the Canadian was 0-8 in finals before today.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Feb 2022, 8:03 am

FAA's final performance rather puts Murray's loss to the Canadian into perspective in that Tsitsipas got fewer games than Andy.

Murray will be in action this week in Doha this week where he is scheduled to meet Taro Daniel in the first round. If he wins it will be RBA in round two.

Murray is up to 87th in the rankings and at this rate won't need a WC to get into Wimbledon.

Various scenarios for Medvedev to get to number one by the end of this month. Should he do so, it will break an 18-year monopoly of the top spot by the Big Four.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Mon 14 Feb 2022, 5:13 pm

Very happy for Felix

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Feb 2022, 7:54 am

Djoko has given long interview with BBC. He says he's prepared to miss tournaments rather than get jabbed.

He also has said that he's never been "anti vax" but believes people should have the choice not to be jabbed.

Says that we still don't know enough about jabs and that he was kicked out of Australia over the threat he posed to health rather than any visa irregularities.

Here is a link to the BBC piece

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60354068

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Feb 2022, 8:47 am

Absolute moron

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Feb 2022, 9:30 am

Interesting that the BBC comment piece accompanying the Djoko interview asks : "What more proof does he need?" in relation to his still-much-to-learn remarks about vax.

Still wonder whether he will, eventually, get jabbed. Can't envisage him wanting to sit out too many GS events.

Meanwhile, in Doha, Dan Evans had a straight-sets win over Gerasimov while Andy M plays Daniel tonight.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 15 Feb 2022, 2:33 pm

If Djokovic doesnt want to take the vaccine, then so be it. Not sure why people are calling him a moron. Its his decision at the end of the day and clearly he like millions of others doesnt want to take it. I am sure there are lots of athletes out there across different sports that are not taking it. Do I think he should get vaccinated? Of course I do but I dont know why people are getting so worked up over it.

He seems happy enough to miss the grand slams this year, surely those that cannot stand him on here will be delighted that he is not playing. Not only do they not have to see him, it also gives every other player a considerably better chance of winning a slam. If you dont like Djokovic, surely this is good news.

I for one would really like to see him in the slams because I think not having the best player in the world really takes away from any tournament.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 15 Feb 2022, 3:12 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:If Djokovic doesnt want to take the vaccine, then so be it. Not sure why people are calling him a moron. Its his decision at the end of the day and clearly he like millions of others doesnt want to take it. I am sure there are lots of athletes out there across different sports that are not taking it. Do I think he should get vaccinated? Of course I do but I dont know why people are getting so worked up over it.

He seems happy enough to miss the grand slams this year, surely those that cannot stand him on here will be delighted that he is not playing. Not only do they not have to see him, it also gives every other player a considerably better chance of winning a slam.  If you dont like Djokovic, surely this is good news.

I for one would really like to see him in the slams because I think not having the best player in the world really takes away from any tournament.

And they're all morons.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 15 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm

20 grand slams in the trophy cabinet and about 300 million in the bank account. A very happy 'moron'

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Feb 2022, 5:02 pm

Andy Murray has beaten Daniel 6-2, 6-2 in Doha to gain some revenge for exiting to the Japanese in Melbourne.

In Dubai, Kenin, a GS champ now languishing around 90 in the world got just three games against another GS champ, Ostapenko, who had also fallen on hard times before recovering somewhat last year.

All this shows just how hard it's going to be for Emma Raducanu to follow up her New York heroics.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 15 Feb 2022, 5:35 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Andy Murray has beaten Daniel 6-2, 6-2 in Doha to gain some revenge for exiting to the Japanese in Melbourne.

A solid enough performance from Murray. Next up will be Bautista-Agut in the Second Round.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 15 Feb 2022, 5:41 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:20 grand slams in the trophy cabinet and about 300 million in the bank account. A very happy 'moron'

laughing

Dear oh dear.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Feb 2022, 7:18 pm

Sorry but the bank account flex really isn’t winning Djokovic any argument. As the old saying goes ‘money can’t buy you sense’.
Djokovic being an elite sportsman, having a global influence, is supposed to be setting an example. He’s encouraging others to take the vaccination but he can’t be bothered to take it himself.
Whether he’s got 20 majors or 200 majors. He’s letting himself down and he’s letting his sport down.

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 16 Feb 2022, 9:29 am

I already said I dont agree with his vaccination stance, not sure how many times I have said that at this point. I am simply saying he is not a moron just because he has different views to us. I still think he is a very intelligent guy, you may totally disagree. I believe he is someone who is simply very determined and strong in his views. You may disagree with them and how he sometimes act but that definitely does not make him a moron. His personality and his drive is most likely one of the reasons why he is arguably the greatest tennis player of all time. That debate is down to opinion, quite frankly the whole vaccination issue has absolutely nothing to do with his tennis accomplishments on court, which are quite frankly extraordinary.

Just because many on here cannot stand the guy, that is your opinion. I have my own and I also think he is the greatest player who has ever lived. I believe the stats back that up but I appreciate others will have different opinions. On the whole vaccination thing and his views, I couldnt really give a toss. If he wants to sit out the slams this year, then so be it. Like I said you can all celebrate the fact that he wont be playing in them, I think he is a huge loss to those tournaments regardless of whether you cant stand him or not.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 16 Feb 2022, 9:40 am

slashermcguirk wrote:I already said I dont agree with his vaccination stance, not sure how many times I have said that at this point. I am simply saying he is not a moron just because he has different views to us. I still think he is a very intelligent guy, you may totally disagree. I believe he is someone who is simply very determined and strong in his views. You may disagree with them and how he sometimes act but that definitely does not make him a moron. His personality and his drive is most likely one of the reasons why he is arguably the greatest tennis player of all time. That debate is down to opinion, quite frankly the whole vaccination issue has absolutely nothing to do with his tennis accomplishments on court, which are quite frankly extraordinary.

Just because many on here cannot stand the guy, that is your opinion. I have my own and I also think he is the greatest player who has ever lived. I believe the stats back that up but I appreciate others will have different opinions. On the whole vaccination thing and his views, I couldnt really give a toss. If he wants to sit out the slams this year, then so be it. Like I said you can all celebrate the fact that he wont be playing in them, I think he is a huge loss to those tournaments regardless of whether you cant stand him or not.

On this issue it is the exact reason why he's a moron, the fact he's a moron outside of this issue is a separate debate. Anti vaxxers are scum and very very dangerous.

Soul Requiem

It Must Be Love likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 16 Feb 2022, 10:32 am

Again your opinion !!!! you really love to shove it down everyones throat. yawn

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 16 Feb 2022, 11:18 am

There are many people in this world who do not want to have a vaccine from all walks of life and many of those are actually within the medical profession which does make you think. I've had all mine and booster but I know of people (who are NOT morons) who do not want the vaccine as they've lived through vaccines and drugs given in the past that gave and continue to give side effects so I can certainly see why they have reservations. The fact Djokovic is willing to miss slam tournaments to maintain his stance says how strongly he feels about it.

Anyway back to the tennis. A big test for Murray in Doha as he plays Robert Bautista-Agut for a place in the QF. Murray now back inside the top 100 and closing in on his 700th ATP match win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 16 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:There are many people in this world who do not want to have a vaccine from all walks of life and many of those are actually within the medical profession which does make you think. I've had all mine and booster but I know of people *(who are NOT morons)* who do not want the vaccine as they've lived through vaccines and drugs given in the past that gave and continue to give side effects so I can certainly see why they have reservations. The fact Djokovic is willing to miss slam tournaments to maintain his stance says how strongly he feels about it.

Anyway back to the tennis. A big test for Murray in Doha as he plays Robert Bautista-Agut for a place in the QF. Murray now back inside the top 100 and closing in on his 700th ATP match win.

Makes you think what? That some medical professionals are not that smart despite an assumption to the contrary?

*also known as morons.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 16 Feb 2022, 4:19 pm

Murray absolutely hammered by RBA, winning only one game. His heaviest-ever defeat?

Thought he might lose but not like this.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 16 Feb 2022, 4:19 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:There are many people in this world who do not want to have a vaccine from all walks of life and many of those are actually within the medical profession which does make you think. I've had all mine and booster but I know of people *(who are NOT morons)* who do not want the vaccine as they've lived through vaccines and drugs given in the past that gave and continue to give side effects so I can certainly see why they have reservations. The fact Djokovic is willing to miss slam tournaments to maintain his stance says how strongly he feels about it.

Makes you think what? That some medical professionals are not that smart despite an assumption to the contrary?

*also known as morons.

I wonder if those that were given philadimide may have a far different opinion to the stance that anti-vaxxers are morons.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 16 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Murray absolutely hammered by RBA, winning only one game. His heaviest-ever defeat?

Thought he might lose but not like this.

Certainly one of his heaviest. Bautista-Agut blew him away. Murray had chances for early breaks early on but never took them and after that it was one-way traffic.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 16 Feb 2022, 4:22 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

*also known as morons.

I wonder if those that were given philadimide may have a far different opinion to the stance that anti-vaxxers are morons.

That was over 60 years ago now, time to drop it as an excuse for being a modern day moron.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 16 Feb 2022, 4:39 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

*also known as morons.

That was over 60 years ago now, time to drop it as an excuse for being a modern day moron.

You do realise there are many drugs in use today (infact probably the majority of them) that have varying side effects. And it is widely accepted there are many, many people in this world who are hypochondriacs who threat terribly over such things. Morons? No.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 16 Feb 2022, 4:40 pm

Morons? Yes.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 16 Feb 2022, 6:04 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

*also known as morons.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/national-news/18915386.comparing-thalidomide-covid-19-vaccine-insulting-says-thalidomide-society/

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 16 Feb 2022, 6:08 pm

Evans also dumped out in Doha by D-Fokina but at least he managed to spin it out for nearly three hours.

A player on the comeback trail is J-W Tsonga who beat his old rival Simon in straight sets yesterday in Marseille.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 17 Feb 2022, 11:04 am

"Djokovic can decide not be vaccinated because we have been vaccinated for him, and tennis championships can be held not because he has not been vaccinated, but because the rest of the world has."

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:47 pm

Full marks to Ostapenko. She has just beaten Halep to give her four wins in a row against GS winners.

Yes, I know there are a lot of Slam winners to meet in the women's at the moment. But it's still a fine achievement. Wonder if it's been done before.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 20 Feb 2022, 11:10 am

Cameron Norrie thru to the final in Delray (I always want to say Delboy) Beach where he faces Opelka in the final.

Murray appears in Dubai this next week while Emma R is the top seed in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Djoko returns in the Dubai tournament and faces young Italian Musetti in the first round. Murray has a qualifier first up but Evans faces second seed Rublev.

Could be a bit of movement in the men's rankings tomorrow when the AO 2021 results drop off the computer. Djoko will lose 2,000pts and could also be knocked off the number one perch soon.

Apparently it's not til late summer that the rankings return to normal after the hiatus caused by Covid. Been very difficult to follow the necessarily-amended system over the last 18 months or so.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 20 Feb 2022, 6:08 pm

F A-A couldn't quite make it two titles in two weeks, getting edged out by Rublev in Marseille in the final.

Just been watching a few clips of Opelka-Millman from yesterday. The giant American looks brutal, with a devastating forehand. I fear for Norrie tonight.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 20 Feb 2022, 11:00 pm

sirfredperry wrote:F A-A couldn't quite make it two titles in two weeks, getting edged out by Rublev in Marseille in the final.

Just been watching a few clips of Opelka-Millman from yesterday. The giant American looks brutal, with a devastating forehand. I fear for Norrie tonight.

SFP, that didn't age well Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Feb 2022, 12:39 am

Spanish sensation Carlos Alcaraz beat Diego Schwartzman 6-4 6-2 to win Rio 500. Alcaraz the youngest ever winner of a 500 event.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 21 Feb 2022, 7:52 am

JuliusH - Yes, Opelka held no fears for Norrie who never faced a BP in what was a good win.

I think Cameron's poor start to the season was more down to Covid than bad play. He's 12th in the world and in a good place.

As for Alcaraz, some have predicted he'll eventually be number one. If he's winning big tournaments at age 18 he's certainly heading in the right direction.

Various scenarios this week that could see Medvedev get to number one, thus ending an 18-year monopoly of the top spot by the Big Four.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 21 Feb 2022, 8:31 pm

Real struggle for Andy Murray today. He took 2hrs 50mins to finally beat Aussie qualifier O'Connell in Dubai. At least he won't have to play tomorrow.

Djoko had a 3 and 3 win in his first match of the year against Italian teenager Musetti. Cilic somewhat surprisingly beaten.

Andy said afterwards that it would be a lot easier for Djoko if he got jabbed, but added that it was "not great for tennis" if the world number one missed major tournaments.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Feb 2022, 1:30 pm

Some very long matches in Acapulco, which included yet another catastrophic early defeat for Dimi, meant a latest-ever tour finish to the Zverev match.

The German, who saved two MPs, finally won at 4.54am, with play having already started the next day in Dubai.

Granted there were exceptionally-lengthy matches. But I've been banging on for ages about the ridiculous scheduling at some tournaments. Only a player rebellion will get things altered.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 22 Feb 2022, 5:09 pm

Rublev saw off Dan Evans 6-4, 7-5 in Dubai. Next up for Murray will be Sinner, who saved three MPs from 6-3 down in the second set tiebreak to take out D-Fokina.

Murray really has had little luck in draws in recent months. When you're low down the rankings you sometimes need someone else to knock the top players out for you as you're bound to meet a big seed early on.

When a good chance to advance in the AO came his way in the shape, merely, of Taro Daniel in the second round, Andy fluffed his lines.

Andy did beat Sinner last year but even a repeat win here will only take him to a probable meeting with the solid Hurkacz.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 23 Feb 2022, 7:48 am

Re the late finish at Acapulco. Apparently, the heat and humidity means they can't start until 6pm.

Nadal, who could have a say in the destiny of the number one spot this week, won his opening match last night. Norrie also thru.

In Guadalajara in Mexico Emma R had to retire with a hip injury a break down in the final set after 3hrs 36mins. She'd faced Daria Saville (nee Gavrilova) a former top 20er who has been out injured.

Murray takes on Sinner today in Dubai.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Feb 2022, 9:43 am

Sascha Zverev kicked out of Acapulco after tirade of abuse aimed at chair umpire and smashing his racket repeatedly on the umpires chair. All this after losing a doubles match. Pretty pathetic behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 23 Feb 2022, 1:22 pm

Yes, poor stuff from Zverev who could now face a ban.

Not particularly good stuff from Murray today, either, in his straight-sets loss to Sinner. Andy failed to create a BP He'll have to wait for his 700th main tour win.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Wed 23 Feb 2022, 1:33 pm

Could be Murray's last year I suspect. He can beat top30 players and the odd top10 but consistency seems beyond him.

As for the predictions at the start of the year, I can't see him ever reaching a GS final or winning a masters again. Maybe he will beat one of the big names mentioned at Wimbledon or the US open then hang up his racquet.

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 23 Feb 2022, 5:02 pm

Yikes, not good from Zverev!! I reckon he might get banned for a month or two for that.

Tough loss for Murray but to be fair Sinner is a very good player, top 10 now. I didnt see the match but it sounds like the 1st set was competitive and once Sinner took it he seemed to get through the 2nd set quite comfortably.

Good win for Djokovic in straight sets vs Khachanov. He was a potentially tricky opponent, big hitter who is good on hard courts. I am quite surprised to see Djokovic get through his first two matches in straight sets, i thought he was very vulnerable to an early exit given he hasnt played competitively for nearly 3 months. You can practise all you want but there is no substitute for match practise.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 24 Feb 2022, 2:40 pm

Rublev today faced not only a tennis opponent but plenty of attacks on social media over the Ukraine situation. Managed to win his match and then called for peace.

Tricky situation for him, Medvedev and all the Russian and, indeed, eastern European, players at the moment. Should be remembered it's politicians, not people, that start wars.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Feb 2022, 5:10 pm

Daniil Medvedev is new world #1 after Jiri Vesely sensational beat Novak Djokovic in Dubai 6-4 7-6.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 24 Feb 2022, 5:14 pm

Russian launches successful attack on.....number one spot.

You wait 18 years for a non-Big Four number one and then one comes along on the day his country invades.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 24 Feb 2022, 5:36 pm

Congrats to Medvedev on reaching number one, great achievement. I didnt see the match but very unexpected result............ Not sure I have ever seen Vesely play to be totally honest, he must be playing very well though to beat Cilic, Bautista Agut (in great form) and Djokovic back to back. He also came through qualifiers.

It just proves that there is no substitute for match practise. It doesnt matter how good you are, if you are not playing any tournaments for 3 months, this type of result can easily happen.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 24 Feb 2022, 5:42 pm

Vesely has been as high as 35 in the world and was quite a force for a while before slipping down the rankings.

Amid the excitement of a new men's number one, Ostapenko is continuing her remarkable run. She's just knocked off her 6th GS champ in the last two weeks, beating Muguruza 2 and 2.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Feb 2022, 11:46 am

Medvedev vs Nadal rematch in the Acapulco semi finals after both men eased past their quarterfinal opponents.
Medvedev beat Japan’s Nishioka 6-2 6-3
Nadal beat American Paul 6-0 7-6.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Feb 2022, 3:37 pm

Andrey Rublev outlasts Hubert Hurkacz to reach Dubai 500 final. For the third match in a row the Russian comes back after losing the opening set.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 25 Feb 2022, 7:07 pm

Rublev might just have the edge in the final as his opponent, Vesely, will have come off a three-hour semi with every set having gone to a tiebreak.

Amazing run by the Czech Vesely.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next