The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022

+2
No name Bertie
sirfredperry
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022 Empty Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022

Post by sirfredperry Wed 13 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm

Andy Murray is in Newport, Rhode Island, where last night he demolished Querrey with the loss of just two games.

Andy is seeded 6th - and I'm not sure how long it's been since he was last seeded - and plans to put in a good run of tournaments in the hopes of getting enough points to be seeded in New York at the USO.

Meanwhile, Dom Thiem, playing in Bastad in Sweden, has finally got a win having had a long losing streak. It would be good to see him make something of a comeback.

Looks like we may get a will he/won't he over any Djoko participation in the USO. Regardless of whether Novak plays or not, I think there's a good chance for the likes of Alcaraz and Sinner to do well in New York.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022 Empty Re: Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022

Post by sirfredperry Thu 14 Jul 2022, 7:56 am

Murray overcame a slow start to beat Purcell in Newport yesterday but ended the match limping.

He won't have to play today and it remains to be seen if he'll be OK to face Bublik on Friday.

An interesting Ukraine-Russia clash in Budapest which went on for nearly four hours before Ukraine's Tsurenko beat Rakhimova.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022 Empty Re: Summer tournaments leading up to US Open 2022

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2022, 6:07 pm

Dominic Thiem looks to be stirring again. Beats RBG 7-6 3-6 6-4.
Waits 400 odd days for a win then gets 2 back to back.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:49 am

Disappointing that Murray could not beat Bublik yesterday. With FAA out, there was a path to the final.

Thiem's little run in Bastad was ended by Baez but Dom will be pleased with his three matches in Sweden.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 16 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

Murray has played Bublik four times this year - and it is two a piece in wins.   Murray should at least have had a tie-breaker in the first set but he made a few wrong decisions in a rally situation that resulted in him being broken.

Newport..... (Outdoor Grass) QF.. Bublik  75 64
Stuttgart.... (Outdoor Grass) R16 Murray 63 76
Indian Wells (Outdoor Hard..) R64 Bublik  76 63
Rotterdam.. (Indoor Hard....) R32 Murray 76 64

ATP staff wrote: Murray: 'I Just Want The Results To Be A Bit Better'

“I just want the results to be a bit better. I felt like I had a good chance of [advancing] here ... But… to have my body feeling pretty good and getting lots of matches in is important for me ....

The grass-court season as a whole there were some good moments, but also some tough ones. Today’s match and the loss at Wimbledon were disappointing and frustrating for me, but then I also had my best wins in a while in Stuttgart .... a little bit of progress overall and I’ll try and keep that going through the hard-court summer.”

Murray has played 13 tournaments this season and not spent any significant period of time away from competitive action ....

Murray, had not competed in Newport since making the semi-finals as a 19-year-old in 2006.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 19 Jul 2022, 8:22 pm

Andy Murray up to 50 in the rankings but he'll have to go some to be seeded at the USO.

Another good win for Thiem today in Gstaad, overcoming Gaston in a final-set tiebreak and saving one MP.

Playing in Hamburg, Alcaraz had a big of a struggle against a lowly-ranked opponent before coming thru in a final-set breaker.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 22 Jul 2022, 7:21 am

Alcaraz thru to quarters in Hamburg while Thiem continues to make progress by reaching q-f in Gstaad.

Venus Williams has been given a WC into Toronto. Sister Serena is in the draw for Cinci as is Djoko although his vaccine status means he probably won't play.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2022, 7:16 pm

Dominic Thiem beat Juan Pablo Varillas 6-4 6-3 to reach the semi finals at the Swiss Open.
Thiem will face Matteo Berrettini next.
Prior to Thiem’s injury woes, this would be favourable opponent for the Austrian on clay. Berrettini should have a decent chance against this version of Thiem.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 23 Jul 2022, 1:29 pm

JeffN - You were spot on about Berrettini v Thiem, with Dom only getting five games today.

Matteo likely to play Ruud in the final, with the Norweigan already a set up in his semi.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 24 Jul 2022, 2:07 pm

Ruud rallied to beat Berrettini to take the Gstaad title. Another Italian, Musetti, about to take on Alcaraz for the Hamburg crown.

Reckon the Italians will be out of luck come the end of the day.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 24 Jul 2022, 5:40 pm

Well I was certainly wrong about Musetti's chances, although he needed six MPs before finally getting across the line.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2022, 5:40 pm

Lorenzo Musetti wins the German Open after winning 6-4 6-7 6-4 against Carlitos Alcaraz.
I’ve been highly critical of Musetti’s atrocious fitness and multiple in match retirements but he really seemed to have turned the corner this week in Hamburg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2022, 8:44 pm

Dominic Thiem beats Alexander Shevchenko 6-4 6-2 at Kitzbuhel.
After being 0-10 during that 400 odd day winless period.
Thiem is now 6-2 in the last 3 events.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 27 Jul 2022, 5:45 pm

Another Thiem win (bit like London buses. You wait ages for one and then they all come at once).

Today Dom has beaten qualifier Ofner despite dropping the middle set. That lowly ranking will soon seem a thing of the past.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 30 Jul 2022, 7:34 am

If there's one player that I always like to see lose it's John Isner.

Earlier this week he won in three sets without creating a single break point. Yesterday, thankfully, he lost in three. Yes, he did create one BP which he took but that was the only one he forced while his opponent, Brooksby, forced nine and broke Isner three times.

You just wonder how successful Isner would have been without the tiebreak. Not sure if such records are kept, but surely he's played more breakers than anyone else.

It hardly seems fair that a giant of a guy can do so well just banging down aces. Luckily for the whole sport, there have been enough players able to return well (or at last win the tiebreaks) to stop him getting right to the top.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 31 Jul 2022, 3:56 pm

Intriguing final tonight between Alcaraz and Sinner in Umag. Sinner might have the edge in that Alcaraz had a near-3hr semi yesterday.

Win or lose, the Spaniard will, I understand, push up to four in the world, which is quite remarkable given his age.

Good news for Kyle Edmund. For the first time in ages he's in a singles draw - one of four Britons, including Murray, playing in Washington this week.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 01 Aug 2022, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2022, 9:41 pm

Jannik Sinner beats Carlitos Alcaraz 6-7 6-1 6-1 to claim first title on clay.
Sinner played a great match, but as SFP mentioned above, Carlitos seemed to run out of gas.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 01 Aug 2022, 8:57 pm

Good to see that Kyle Edmund won his main tour comeback match today.

It was his first match at the top level for 21 months. I hadn't realised he'd been away for such a long time.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2022, 5:44 pm

Looking like Djokovic will miss Canada, Cincinnati and New York with no exemptions forthcoming.
Djokovic’s coach Ivanisevic launched a bizarre tirade at Biden...not sure that helps the situation...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2022, 11:12 am

Daniil Medvedev moved into the semi finals in Los Cabos with two pretty straightforward wins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2022, 2:15 pm

Rafael Nadal misses Montreal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2022, 3:23 pm

Novak Djokovic has withdrawn after being refused entry into Canada.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 05 Aug 2022, 4:49 pm

Got to reckon we'll not see Djoko at the USO. I always feel each year that New York is the one GS place a non-Big Four guy has a chance. If Djoko is absent there's now an even bigger chance.

Emma R had a gruelling near-3hr match (it was actually two tiebreak sets) yesterday before coming thru. I make it that it was only her 10th main-tour win of the season. She could do with some more wins before New York where she will likely lose a shed-load of points.

Conditions in DC were quite brutal by all accounts and did for Fritz who had to retire in his match with Evans. Dan also needs some points quick if he's to be seeded in NY.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Aug 2022, 10:53 am

Daniil Medvedev beat Miomir Kecmanovic 7-6 6-1 to reach the final in Los Cabos

The Russian will face Cameron Norrie in the final after the Brit beat FAA 6-4 3-6 6-3

Should be a good final

Emma Raducanu lost to Ludmilla Samsonova 6-7 1-6. Raducanu fitness just isn’t very good. Samsonova #60 played a solid match.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 07 Aug 2022, 7:27 am

Unsurprisingly, Medvedev was too good for Cam Norrie in the final last night.

Cam will always put up a good fight and has been very consistent since the beginning of last year.

But he simply does not have the weapons to trouble the big boys.

Kyrgios is thru to the final in Washington where he will be favourite, with Rublev knocked out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2022, 10:23 am

I stayed up to watch this live, big mistake today at my age lol feeling like a zombie.

Anyway Medvedev played largely a great match, got a little tight at 5-4 serving for the set. But simply motored away after that.

Cam Norrie, genuinely a lovely man, and he works incredibly hard. Unfortunately his lack of weapons means he can’t beat someone like Medvedev in a toe to toe shootout.

It felt almost like Norrie was redlining in set 1 just to stay competitive.

Anyway a few stats for Medvedev’s victory;
1st title since US Open 2021
Snaps 0-5 record in finals since winning USO
1st title when ranked world #1
Guaranteed to stay #1 until the end of USO 2022.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 07 Aug 2022, 12:21 pm

Several days ago I saw a BBC headline claiming that Cameron Norrie was going to dedicate himself to try to become the world's number one tennis player:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62319226

The following article was posted by the BBC when Cameron Norrie became British Number One indicating that he had only turned professional in 2017 and had the potential for much greater improvements (Oct 2021):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58958260

What I read from the recent comments (sfp + Jeff) it seems that he is going to have to develop some weapons - and I am not sure how he can do that without some massive physical or technical changes (?).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2022, 8:41 pm

I’m not really sure how Norrie can suddenly become to big hitter. IIRC he’s around 25-27 years old. If he tries to fill out a bit more that will take time, maybe 12-18 months. It will also compromise his current strength, the crazy defence and movement.
I think Norrie needs to maximise his serve more. It’s a bit friendly if we are being honest. He might not get to #1 but post Djokovic/Nadal, Norrie will be around the big prizes. Whether he can win a big one depends on whom he faces - I just feel Medvedev on HC is a bad matchup

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 08 Aug 2022, 7:49 am

Kyrgios did indeed take the Washington title and has pushed up to 37 in the rankings.

He now has a good chance of being seeded at the USO which will be good for him (and a relief to the top guys who won't have to face him in rounds 1 and 2).

Murray, though, looks like he won't get seeded unless something special happens in the next couple of weeks. He's up against Fritz in the first round at Montreal today.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2022, 3:28 pm

Serena Williams announces that New York will be her curtain call. Says she’s ‘evolving away from tennis’.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 10 Aug 2022, 1:12 am

In the past sports people would say they are retiring because they are getting old, have slowed down, have put on weight, have accumulated scar tissue that is preventing them from competing at the top level.   It seems that Serena Williams is unwilling to say that.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 10 Aug 2022, 7:21 am

Defeats for Murray and Emma R overnight but victories for Norrie, Evans and Draper. Tough second round matches next, with Dan taking on Rublev and Jack playing Tsitsipas.

Another Kyrgios win puts him up against Medvedev in an intriguing match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 10 Aug 2022, 1:28 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Serena Williams announces that New York will be her curtain call. Says she’s ‘evolving away from tennis’.
Serena is very dramatic.

Great player but I won't miss her.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Aug 2022, 1:34 pm

Atila wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Serena Williams announces that New York will be her curtain call. Says she’s ‘evolving away from tennis’.
Serena is very dramatic.

Great player but I won't miss her.
She lead the woman’s tour almost on her own back for a long time, and for that she deserves a lot of credit.
But some of the meltdowns and unsavoury stuff I definitely won’t miss.
23 slams is incredible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Aug 2022, 7:56 pm

Tommy Paul saves a second set match point to stun Carlitos Alcaraz in Montreal.
The American winning 6-7 7-6 6-3.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 10 Aug 2022, 9:00 pm

Bit surprised to hear that Alcaraz is out. Wonder if the strain of a huge number of matches this year is beginning to tell.

With the USO coming up he might have done himself a favour by not going deep in Montreal.

As I write Medvedev has taken a tight first set on the tiebreak against Kyrgios but is a break down early in the second.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Aug 2022, 9:55 pm

Kyrgios beats Medvedev 6-7 6-4 6-2 - Kyrgios, whom is one of the least proficient returners broke Medvedev, statistically one of the best servers, three times.
Pretty woeful from the Russian.
Still can’t get behind Kyrgios, the ranting and raving just ruins the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 11 Aug 2022, 7:02 am

On a day/night of upsets, Evans beat Rublev and, even more surprisingly, Draper took out Tsitsipas - and in straight sets, too.

Draper will move up to around 62 at least. He's having a good season. Norrie is also thru to the 3rd round. For all his lack of big weapons, Cam is remarkably consistent in early-round matches.

Meanwhile, Rafa is going to play Cinci and, apparently, has a shot at the number one ranking if he wins it and Medvedev falls early. In any case, the numero uno position could come his way if the USO works out in his favour.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2022, 10:30 am

Belinda Bencic beat Serena Williams 6-2 6-4 in Toronto. An emotional Williams received a standing ovation on her exit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2022, 4:39 pm

On the men’s side this was the first time since Indian Wells 1999 that the top 3 players got eliminated in their opening matches.
Crazy stat - 23 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Aug 2022, 7:55 am

More seeds tumbled yesterday to the benefit of Evans, who took out Fritz, and Draper who beat Monfils.

There was another convincing win for Kyrgios who could well go on to take the title. Nick appears to be much fresher for having played little in the first part of the year and must be considered among the favourites in New York.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 12 Aug 2022, 10:27 am

First time I have seen Jack Draper (13 minute highlights against Tsitsipas) and he looks extremely well built and powerful and he is a leftie.  The only issue I could think of was how prone is he going to be to injury and then after his match with Monfils (6-2 0-2 with Monfils then retiring) he revealed that last year he had a bad ankle injury.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2022, 7:58 pm

Hubert Hurkacz chops down Nick Kyrgios 7-6 6-7 6-1
Pablo Carreno Busta takes out Jannik Sinner 6-2 6-4

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 12 Aug 2022, 9:02 pm

Hurkacz bought Kyrgios' excellent run to an end, taking the final set 6-1 after they'd shared tiebreakers.

Ruud also thru' after taking care of FAA.

Halep beat Gauff and if she can just stay fit may be a contender in New York. Later, the two Brits left in the men's will be in action.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2022, 2:07 am

Emma Raducanu vs Serena Williams in Cincinnati opening round.

Novak Djokovic withdrew after entry to USA denied.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 13 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

Draper beaten but Evans advanced after overcoming a terrific start from Paul.

Dan takes on Carreno Busta in the semi with the winner playing either Hurkacz or Ruud in the final.

Emma will be thrilled to play Serena who was winning Slams before she was born.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 13 Aug 2022, 10:56 am

Jack Draper really on the up. He has impressed me whenever I have seen him and he can only get better. He is making big strides now and almost inside the top 50.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 14 Aug 2022, 10:53 am

Dan Evans came up short against CB but not until he'd taken it to a 3rd after saving an MP.

CB rather ran away with it at the end, but a very good week for Dan.

Bit alarmed to see that Murray was no longer down to play his first qualie match for Cinci only to find out later that some late withdrawals had propelled him into the main draw where he will meet....Stan the Man.

While CB faces Hurkacz in the Montreal final, Halep will take on Haddad Maia for the women's title. Win or lose, Halep will return to the top 10.

Of all the women, she has been one of the most consistent in recent years and it's probably only her injury-proneness that has prevented her adding to her Slam tally.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2022, 11:00 pm

Pablo Carreno Busta comes from a set down to win the biggest title of his career.
The Spaniard seeing off Hubert Hurkacz 3-6 6-3 6-3

Simona Halep beat Beatriz Haddad Maia 6-3 2-6 6-3 to win Canada Open for the third time in her career

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 16 Aug 2022, 8:31 am

Murray finally saw off Stan the Man after almost three hours. They had exchanged breaks in the third set before Andy broke at 5-5 but still needed four MPs before winning.

Murray now plays Norrie who had a tricky, but successful, encounter with rising star Rune (pronounced Hoon, apparently).

Emma R plays Serena in a night match this evening. Dan Evans, after his good run last week, is up against Krajinovic.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next