The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rod Marsh

+2
alfie
guildfordbat
6 posters

Go down

Rod Marsh Empty Rod Marsh

Post by guildfordbat Fri 04 Mar 2022, 12:53 am

Just heard that former Australian wicket keeper has died aged 74 after suffering a heart attack last week. Shocking news.

I'll post more in the morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Rod Marsh Empty Re: Rod Marsh

Post by alfie Fri 04 Mar 2022, 1:39 am

Really sad news though I'm afraid it is not exactly unexpected. Once I heard he'd been transferred interstate to be close to his family though still in a coma I feared the worst for his chances. Thoughts with his family.

Australian cricket has lost a true giant of the game : they've had more polished keepers ,and some with better batting records ; but his combative performances transcended mere figures in the book and went a long way to aiding his mates DK Lillee and the Chappell brothers to their successes . His partnership with Lillee is itself a statistical standout at 95 catches from 69 games together.

Didn't stop at his on field exploits either : stayed with the game in other significant roles and his work with the then new academies in both Australia and England will be honourably remembered.

Never got to meet him : would have loved to. Will be sadly missed.

RIP Rod Marsh.

alfie

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 04 Mar 2022, 3:10 am

Yes, more sad news with the loss of another Australian cricketing great.

As a kid growing up here he was the classic Aussie legend... it always felt good watching him keep behind the wicket as well as wielding the bat. He was an integral part of the transition from post-war style of play to the modern version of the game with his debut around about the time of the first One Day matches. They were great and exciting times for a cricket fan of both formats.

One vivid memory I have of him was during an ODI v England... '83 I think it was. Australia had set England around 180 runs to win. During the crucial middle overs of the England run chase (I think Lamb and Botham were getting settled) the ball reached the fence where I was situated right behind the fence at long off.

There was not much competition right there at that point on the fence, so I jumped over and threw the ball back... probably over Rodney Hogg's head... towards Rod Marsh. It landed about 5m wide but he covered it. He sort of made a double teapot gesture, shook his head and gave me a half-hearted clap.

Pretty sure he was slightly amused (yet disappointed) at my throwing effort and probably thought:  What a ****er!
However, I took his frustrated gestures as a compliment at the time. Smile  Sorry Rod. You will be forever missed.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

superflyweight, JDizzle, guildfordbat, alfie, Good Golly I'm Olly and Galted like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 04 Mar 2022, 2:12 pm

Awful news from Australia gets worse as it's announced that Shane Warne has died, aged 52, from a suspected heart attack.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 04 Mar 2022, 2:37 pm

A great cricketer who's influence continued well beyond the field. RIP Rod.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 04 Mar 2022, 3:59 pm

Rod Marsh was a wonderfully combative cricketer who, in line with Carlos' post, did much good work for the game after his playing career. Someone you would always want on your side whether on the field or in the trenches.

A key cog in a very strong Australia team through the '70s and into the '80s even if sometimes, as touched on by Alfie, overshadowed by Lillee and the Chappells. Although fully understandable, sad that even in death top billing eludes him today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Sat 05 Mar 2022, 2:36 pm

I remember the England Academy team that went to Australia in 2002 and Rod Marsh was in charge of them. Had them running on the beach at 5.00am

Bell, K Ali, Batty, Blackwell, Hogg, G Jones, Muchall, Panesar, Read, Stevens, Tremlett, Troughton, Wallace, Clarke, Anderson, Wagg and Tudor.

Imagine Jones, Read and Mark Wallace having him as coach.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/rod-marsh-to-head-ecb-national-academy-102064

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down