The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DP World Tour chat

+12
Shotrock
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
JAS
Duty281
super_realist
incontinentia
pedro
I'm never wrong
BlueCoverman
McLaren
LadyPutt
16 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

DP World Tour chat  Empty DP World Tour chat

Post by LadyPutt Wed 11 May 2022, 8:22 am

As Pedro says, there isn’t a thread for this so I thought I’d start one (sticky, please?).

A great British Masters tournament and fantastic to see Thunderbear put all his past woes behind him and win again, thanks to two monster putts on 17 and 18, having done pretty much the same on Saturday.

On to Belgium this week.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

DP World Tour chat  Empty Re: DP World Tour chat

Post by McLaren Wed 11 May 2022, 9:42 am

This is the tour the LIV could kill almost instantly if they really thought about it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat 11 Jun 2022, 7:15 am

Some excellent golf being played by both men and women in the Scandinavian Mixed - pity it’s being ignored because of an exhibition match by has-beens in St Albans Rolling Eyes
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 11 Jun 2022, 11:18 pm

I was there today to see Charl win the trophy LP. I'm sure the $4million he picked up is of some consolation for a has-been! Wink

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 14 Jun 2022, 6:33 am

LadyPutt wrote:Some excellent golf being played by both men and women in the Scandinavian Mixed - pity it’s being ignored because of an exhibition match by has-beens in St Albans Rolling Eyes  

I was looking at the BMW Invitational entry list before the Scandinavian Masters finished. They had a spot reserved for the winner of the Scandinavian Masters. I wonder if Linn Grant will play? Very Happy

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt and pedro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 24 Jun 2022, 4:37 pm

Interesting news re DP World Tour players being fined and banned from the next PGAT/DPW co sanctioned events. (Scottish Open & Brabasol). Apparently, it's not in the rules of the DP World Tour that they can give indefinite bans. So it's on a tournament by tournament basis. Next conflict - Irish Open v Portland event.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 01 Aug 2022, 10:23 am

WTF? Gareth Bale?

“Cazoo Open supported by Gareth Bale”

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Aug 2022, 11:09 am

Golf, Wales, Cazoo open, Madrid.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 01 Aug 2022, 12:54 pm

Bale, the saviour of European golf.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 07 Sep 2022, 8:15 pm

Shane Lowry's ProAm part er did a bit of damage today. https://twitter.com/ShaneLowryGolf/status/1567563541728710660?t=sql7Ctg7EL2IHA_QYM9Okg&s=19

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 08 Sep 2022, 12:26 am

A bit tiresome to hear players like Rory moan about LIV players in this weeks field (Garcia, Westy, Poults). Didn’t he himself de facto leave the ET because he thought the PGAT was better - and only continued playing the ET because they changed the eligibility criteria?

Now these LIV guys still want to remain with the ET (their home tour), they basically just swapped the PGAT with LIV. You can disagree with their ethics in playing for Saudi money, but leaving one foreign tour for another shouldn’t be something odious.

Different story with players like Ancer and Gooch though.

pedro

ralphjohn69 and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 08 Sep 2022, 8:08 am

pedro wrote:A bit tiresome to hear players like Rory moan about LIV players in this weeks field (Garcia, Westy, Poults). Didn’t he himself de facto leave the ET because he thought the PGAT was better - and only continued playing the ET because they changed the eligibility criteria?

Now these LIV guys still want to remain with the ET (their home tour), they basically just swapped the PGAT with LIV. You can disagree with their ethics in playing for Saudi money, but leaving one foreign tour for another shouldn’t be something odious.

Different story with players like Ancer and Gooch though.
Billy Horschel can cram it too.

Yes there are big double standards in this whole realm.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Sep 2022, 8:37 am

Quite. Like F1 hypocrites and football hypocrites I don't think golfers have a leg to stand on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 08 Sep 2022, 12:36 pm

What don't you people get about the open secret that the Saudis are not here to host a rival tour but wanting to blow up the PGAT and ET? They aren't some new interesting side show, they are a new tour with the stated intent of making the current tours irrelevant in the long term.

Rory and Billy Ho (and the rest) deserve a lot of credit for fighting to stop the destruction of 100's of years of golf history.

How do you think the golf ladder would look with the saudis at the top?

Do you think they will maintain a system if ET, challenge tour, regional tours, Amatuer R and A events, ET run ryder cup?

If the Suadis succeed in becoming the top tour they define how golf is run around the world. And the golf we play is part of the heritage of how this system has worked for over 100 years.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Sep 2022, 2:03 pm

McLaren wrote:What don't you people get about the open secret that the Saudis are not here to host a rival tour but wanting to blow up the PGAT and ET? They aren't some new interesting side show, they are a new tour with the stated intent of making the current tours irrelevant in the long term.

Rory and Billy Ho (and the rest) deserve a lot of credit for fighting to stop the destruction of 100's of years of golf history.

Do you think they will maintain a system if ET, challenge tour, regional tours, Amatuer R and A events, ET run ryder cup?

If the Suadis succeed in becoming the top tour they define how golf is run around the world. And the golf we play is part of the heritage of how this system has worked for over 100 years.

How are they going to do that with a fixed field of 48, no world Ranking points and no majors?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 11 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

Let's see if Rory can swoop in and save the European Tour's flagship title from falling into the villainous clutches of the evil, Saudi-enabling LIV staff  Smile
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 11 Sep 2022, 6:19 pm

Go on Lowry you beauty!!!  Very Happy clap guinness notworthy DP World Tour chat  3559488474
incontinentia
incontinentia

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 24 Sep 2022, 12:35 pm

Hojgaard (leading by six at the time) just found the water three times in a row on the par-three second, now he's found the water again on the par-five third. I don't think I've ever seen such a run before!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 27 Sep 2022, 8:34 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:What don't you people get about the open secret that the Saudis are not here to host a rival tour but wanting to blow up the PGAT and ET? They aren't some new interesting side show, they are a new tour with the stated intent of making the current tours irrelevant in the long term.

How are they going to do that with a fixed field of 48, no world Ranking points and no majors?

The more I think about it, world ranking points are the last layer of protective shield that the existing tours have, the minute official world ranking points are awarded in LIV events rightly or wrongly) the game will be up for the existing tours.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 30 Sep 2022, 10:45 am

Looks like the kind of day that will graphically illustrate the difference in degree of difficulty between Carnoustie & TOC!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 30 Sep 2022, 9:48 pm

My caddie on a Scottish golf trip said “You play Carnoustie because it is the toughest, Kingsbarns because it is the prettiest and the Old Course because of the history”
Fairly accurate I thought.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Oct 2022, 10:01 am

BlueCoverman wrote:My caddie on a Scottish golf trip said “You play Carnoustie because it is the toughest, Kingsbarns because it is the prettiest and the Old Course because of the history”

You play TOC because it displays the fundamentals of strategic architecture. Caddies are full of BS. Such tedious types.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 03 Oct 2022, 11:05 am

McLaren wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:My caddie on a Scottish golf trip said “You play Carnoustie because it is the toughest, Kingsbarns because it is the prettiest and the Old Course because of the history”

You play TOC because it displays the fundamentals of strategic architecture. Caddies are full of BS. Such tedious types.

I’d say that’s pretty accurate by the caddy, what part of it do you disagree with Mac. Is TOC prettier than KB? Is TOC tougher than Carnoustie?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Oct 2022, 11:47 am

KB is pretty middle of the road. You can play TOC for the history but if you really want to appreciate it then you have to start thinking about how the ground has been used to play golf. The town is a fun place for a golfer but the value of playing the TOC is far deeper than that.

Carnoustie is a decent links.

Never pick a course to play because you think it is tougher than another. Did we learn nothing from the slew of "championship" golf courses built in the 80's and 90's?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 03 Oct 2022, 1:32 pm

McLaren wrote:KB is pretty middle of the road. You can play TOC for the history but if you really want to appreciate it then you have to start thinking about how the ground has been used to play golf. The town is a fun place for a golfer but the value of playing the TOC is far deeper than that.

Never pick a course to play because you think it is tougher than another. Did we learn nothing from the slew of "championship" golf courses built in the 80's and 90's?

Hang on, you’re trying to hijack a fairly honest and accurate caddy statement to promote Doakishness!!

I get that there’s a school of thought that there’s something deeper about St. Andrews than meets the eye and it’s more than just history.

You could however also say that about many courses. Particularly some designed by the greats (McKenzie, Colt, Braid)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 03 Oct 2022, 1:34 pm

Good win for Fox in the end. Nearly as famous as his dad now.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 03 Oct 2022, 2:29 pm

McLaren wrote:KB is pretty middle of the road. You can play TOC for the history but if you really want to appreciate it then you have to start thinking about how the ground has been used to play golf. The town is a fun place for a golfer but the value of playing the TOC is far deeper than that.

You sound a bit like an art critic, Mac, holding forth on some masterpiece as if you knew what the artist was trying to get across. TOC is built on some lovely bumpy links land and it's old. Stop trying to ascribe more to its design that there really is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

super_realist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Oct 2022, 5:35 pm

Navy

TOC is art.
McLaren
McLaren

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 03 Oct 2022, 7:54 pm

I don’t doubt your opinion of the caddies at TOC Mac, but my experience was more fortunate. A few holes into my round my caddie who I had just met, said that he was working for Mark McNulty at the Senior Open in Porthcawl in a couple of months time. I said that my wife and I were planning to go to watch and he said I’ll sort you out some tickets. I said I wasn’t fishing for tickets Neil and he replied its no problem.
On the first practice day a few weeks later the guy on the gate handed me an envelope. Inside were two tickets for the week and a ticket for the players car park.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 6:14 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

TOC is art.

It might be Mac, but it's obsolete as a pro course

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 6:16 am

Mac, Carnoustie and KB are better in every way than TOC, especially as regards to design. We have been through this many times and we can do a hole by hole analysis as someone who actually knows the course back to front compared to someone who only has played it a couple of times.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2022, 10:59 am

Super

I have played TOC many times and walked it even more. Obviously not as often as you but how often we have played TOC has nothing to do with its architectural merits.

From how you speak about courses I have doubts that you are able to analyse courses from an architectural perspective. Anyone can go an eat at the best restaurants or read the great books but it doesn't mean they understand what is going on.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:18 am

McLaren wrote:Super

I have played TOC many times and walked it even more. Obviously not as often as you but how often we have played TOC has nothing to do with its architectural merits.

From how you speak about courses I have doubts that you are able to analyse courses from an architectural perspective. Anyone can go an eat at the best restaurants or read the great books but it doesn't mean they understand what is going on.

Ah yes, the "no true golf course architecture fan" fallacy.

You seem to think that it's some sort of earthmoving masterpiece, despite it being largely the product of natural processes as well it's not even played the way it was designed, furthermore so many of the holes have virtually no design merits to them. Others are so unremarkable and so dreary that they do not make the golfer think at all.

A well designed course encourages the course to be played in many different ways. TOC doesn't score highly on this point anymore.

18 is the worst closing hole in Open history and would be much better as a 17th hole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:22 am

Super

If you hate it so much is there any chance you would let me take over your St Andrews membership?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:28 am

McLaren wrote:Super

If you hate it so much is there any chance you would let me take over your St Andrews membership?

Mac, I don't hate it, I just think it's laughably overrated as a course, obsolete for pro golf and poor at producing drama.

I enjoy playing it, because it's a great opportunity to shoot your lowest scores and get a handicap cut.

The degree to which it is fawned over when I could pull 18 better holes from other courses in St Andrews is testament to it not being that special.
Take the history away from TOC, transplant it to some other village on the east coast and it's just another average links course. It's as simple as that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:40 am

super_realist wrote:
The degree to which it is fawned over when I could pull 18 better holes from other courses in St Andrews is testament to it not being that special.
Take the history away from TOC, transplant it to some other village on the east coast and it's just another average links course.  It's as simple as that.

Accept it. You don't understand what you are looking at.

PS, what part of cam smiths win this year wasn't "producing drama"?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:44 am

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Take the history away from TOC, transplant it to some other village on the east coast and it's just another average links course.  It's as simple as that.

Ah yes, only you can understand golf course architecture.
How many dreary Opens have there been at TOC? It is the worst venue, not just for golf, but for spectating.
The greens are far too big, how is that good design?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2022, 12:17 pm

super_realist wrote:

Tell me you are philistine, like without telling me you are a philistine.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 12:28 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Tell me you are philistine, like without telling me you are a philistine.

Mac, it's a tees and greens course. It is too easy and thus poorly designed.
The greens "complexes" as you call them aren't especially challenging so how does ensuring most people will be putting in regulation encourage any sort of shot making? As a member of St Andrews your golf gets worse, not better.

Off the tee is also poor because there is virtually no danger, so a golfer can just whip out driver at all times.

Suppose you've got some special Doak imparted wisdom as to what makes St Andrews greens so well designed?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2022, 12:41 pm

super_realist wrote:

Suppose you've got some special Doak imparted wisdom as to what makes St Andrews greens so well designed?

All can be revealed for a small fee.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 1:05 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

All can be revealed for a small fee.

Bottom line is we appear to play golf for different reasons. I play to he the best golfer I can be, you play to toss off over someone else's views and arbitrary criteria of "design"
St Andrews Old Course doesn't make me a better golfer, so I think it fails as a course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 05 Oct 2022, 3:02 pm

Wasn’t the TOC originally designed as a 22 hole course? And merged into 18 by coincidence?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 3:14 pm

pedro wrote:Wasn’t the TOC originally designed as a 22 hole course? And merged into 18 by coincidence?

Something like that, and played in opposite direction, which is much better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Oct 2022, 4:08 pm

TOC is to golf what the universe is to us in the anthropic principle.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Oct 2022, 4:15 pm

McLaren wrote:TOC is to golf what the universe is to us in the anthropic principle.

Don't talk crap Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 07 Oct 2022, 3:01 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

What part of it was? He rattled in 4 or 5 big putts around the turn and that was that. Not exactly Van der Velte in the Burn, Harrington going in the Burn twice but still winning. I can't comment on the architectural purity of TOC but as a drama filled finishing stretch for Pro tournaments, comparing TOC & Carnoustie would be like comparing Accrington Stanley and Man City.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 09 Oct 2022, 9:19 am

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

What part of it was? He rattled in 4 or 5 big putts around the turn and that was that.  Not exactly Van der Velte in the Burn, Harrington going in the Burn twice but still winning. I can't comment on the architectural purity of TOC but as a drama filled finishing stretch for Pro tournaments, comparing TOC & Carnoustie would be like comparing Accrington Stanley and Man City.

That's it JAS, TOC simply is only capable of someone winning by shooting the lights out, it isn't capable of humbling a player or making them drop down the leaderboard through a stretch of tricky holes, because there aren't any.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 09 Oct 2022, 8:09 pm

There is no pleasing some people. The guy shot a 64 to win a major, would you prefer to see Lucas glover finish 6 iron, 6 iron up the last?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Oct 2022, 10:43 am

McLaren wrote:There is no pleasing some people. The guy shot a 64 to win a major, would you prefer to see Lucas glover finish 6 iron, 6 iron up the last?

You were trying to say there was drama, there really wasn't much by way of drama. Smith was impressive to watch yes but it was more of a putting documentary than a spine tingling drama. Face it Mac apart from 2 players being neck and neck on 17th tee it would be hard for Stan Drews to produce the kind of drama seen on other courses on the closing few holes of an Open. I very much doubt if there's any course that would match Carnoustie in that regard. Every single shot from the 14th tee onward is fraught with danger and it's right in your face, any slip up/misjudgement and you're in trouble. On TOC yeah the approach to 17 has that but one hole as opposed to 5 in a row??

JAS

super_realist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 31 Oct 2022, 8:51 am

Finally a 2nd win for Smith, the lad has been held back at the top level for too long by mediocre (for tour level) putting stats. He's always had great GIR stats, he's currently 2nd on tour this season but the flat stick has never been hot enough to sustain a position in the upper echelons of the rankings, indeed if you only look at his putting stats you'd wonder how he keeps his card. However a new putter and new putting grip and hey presto a LOT more putts are dropping. Remains to be seen if last week was just a honeymoon for the new putting approach or if its something that can be maintained. If it's the latter then he's going to catapult upwards in the rankings fairly rapidly.

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next