The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+5
Pal Joey
Good Golly I'm Olly
thegooch7
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 11 May 2022, 5:03 pm

Surrey have named a 13 man squad for tomorrow’s LV= County Championship match with Kent at Beckenham Cricket Ground.
Unbeaten Surrey have named a strong squad for the trip to Beckenham for the oldest rivalry in the sport. Ollie Pope is available for selection Very Happy having missed the Northants game through illness. However, Jamie Smith is still recovering a hamstring injury sustained in the win against Gloucestershire and is not available. Sad
There is no place in the squad for Cameron Steel or Amar Virdi
Ben Geddes is making his way back from his broken thumb by currently playing for the stiffs against Essex, while Tom Curran, Matthew Dunn and Conor McKerr remain on the treatment table.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Sam Curran
Colin de Grandhomme
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Jamie Overton
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Reece Topley
Dan Worrall
Atkinson and possibly Clark to miss out (rotation) cant believe we will go into the game with no spin option so Jacks should start. saying that Amla must be looking over his shoulder.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat, thegooch7 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 May 2022, 5:57 pm

JimBob - the Club’s fault but they’ve dropped you in the doggy do dos about Smith and the Gloucs result! 😉

More later. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 May 2022, 8:08 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
Atkinson and possibly Clark to miss out (rotation) cant believe we will go into the game with no spin option so Jacks should start. saying that Amla must be looking over his shoulder.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Hi again JimBob - I understand why you suggest Clark being rotated out (it's his turn!) and you could well be right. However, as said before, - and Olly will have this on his guildford bingo card Wink - bowlers tend not to get tired when they're taking wickets. Clark has 20 so far this season and so, unless he's completely knackered, I would keep him going. The difficulty though is we can't judge how strong or weak anyone is from this distance. All things being equal (and I accept they probably aren't), I would go with the same seam attack that blew Northants away so effectively. That means Topley spending another match on drinks duty.

Pope obviously comes back in and probably at 4. That's where Jacks batted against Northants and so I'll wildly say he'll miss out even though it would leave us without any spin options. Just to add - when Pope went sick shortly before the Northants game, I assumed (as many others did) that Atkinson came in for him. I just wonder now though if Atkinson was always going to play and it was Jacks who came back in from the bench??? If Jacks was always going to play, wouldn't he have stayed in his usual position of 7 or 8 with everyone moving up one place? Anyway, I can't see Atkinson being benched for this one after an unbeaten 50 and 3 wickets last time out.

Btw, never been less confident about a Surrey post. Smile

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 11 May 2022, 9:48 pm

guildfordbat wrote:JimBob - the Club’s fault but they’ve dropped you in the doggy do dos about Smith and the Gloucs result! 😉

More later. thumbsup
SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP 1f635

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 12 May 2022, 12:35 am

Cheers jimbob, a real conundrum about selection for this game! All the bowlers have performed admirably, and as guildford says, you don't feel tired when you're taking wickets, I wouldn't be averse to Clark being 'rested' for Topley, but I would keep Atkinson at the expense of Amla, we need Jacks for his variation of spin, the only cat amongst the pigeons for Amla, obviously in my opinion, is if Curran is 'allowed' to bowl, then we could 'lose' a bowler, which would probably be Atkinson

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 12 May 2022, 10:50 am

Atkinson and Topley miss out, Surrey won toss and bat

thegooch7

guildfordbat, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 May 2022, 10:58 am

Here's to another Rey win chaps!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 May 2022, 11:28 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Here's to another Rey win chaps!

Sur. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2022, 11:52 am

Pal Joey wrote:

Sur. Smile

Welcome aboard, Joey. Hope you stick around even without Jamie Smith (hamstring).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2022, 11:53 am

No Denly for Kent - why's that, chaps?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 12 May 2022, 12:07 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

Sur. Smile

Welcome aboard, Joey. Hope you stick around even without Jamie Smith (hamstring).

Oh no! Poor kid.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 12 May 2022, 12:23 pm

Well in Ryan lad, 57 out of 75, don't throw it away now

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2022, 12:24 pm

Pal Joey wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

Sur. Smile

Oh no! Poor kid.

He'll be back with runs a plenty.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 May 2022, 12:32 pm

guildfordbat wrote:No Denly for Kent - why's that, chaps?

He’s been injured. Was on 12th man duties at Headingley a few weeks back and played vs a Sri Lankan development XI last week, but guess this game comes a touch too early.

JDizzle

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2022, 1:00 pm

JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:No Denly for Kent - why's that, chaps?

He’s been injured. Was on 12th man duties at Headingley a few weeks back and played vs a Sri Lankan development XI last week, but guess this game comes a touch too early.

Cheers, JD. He was named yesterday in Kent's 13 man squad for this match so I thought he would be good to go.

Btw, and apologies to others for being off topic, I saw your man Sanderson bowling for Northants at the Oval on Friday. No great pace but tidy enough and on a teasing line around top of off much of the time. Sent down 6 overs and dismissed Clark who had notched a century the week before. That had Surrey 8 down and looking as they might struggle to reach 300. I would have given him another two overs to try and get the ninth pole which would would have had us wobbling. As it was, that was his lot for the innings as Overton and Atkinson biffed us to 400. I don't think two more would have done Sanderson any harm - I'm pretty sure he's got a good engine as well as a definite willingness to bowl, after all he bowled 25 on day one. Your comments about him and his determination to make it on the pro circuit made me think of Tim Linley - a player who was and always will be immensely popular at Surrey.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2022, 1:23 pm

105/0 off 30 overs at lunch. Don't go counting your chickens or bonus points yet, JimBob, but we should be ok for some today. Smile

Too often we seem to start well like this and then lose a couple of quick wickets after the break. Hopefully, that won't happen today. I'm looking for 130 minimum from Patel.

Out now until circa the last half hour. Lousy stream this morning, continually cutting out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 12 May 2022, 2:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:105/0 off 30 overs at lunch
(...)
Too often we seem to start well like this and then lose a couple of quick wickets after the break
[Cut to scoreboard showing 106/2]

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 May 2022, 2:17 pm

guildfordbat wrote:105/0 off 30 overs at lunch. Don't go counting your chickens or bonus points yet, JimBob, but we should be ok for some today. Smile

Too often we seem to start well like this and then lose a couple of quick wickets after the break. Hopefully, that won't happen today. I'm looking for 130 minimum from Patel.

Out now until circa the last half hour. Lousy stream this morning, continually cutting out.

Promptly lost both openers right after lunch Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 12 May 2022, 2:32 pm

Well said guildford! and now Amla gone cheaply.....again!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 May 2022, 4:05 pm

This is without doubt the worse stream i have ever watched vomit
gave up in the end

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 May 2022, 5:23 pm

50 for Foakes clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 May 2022, 5:59 pm

oh Ollie picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 May 2022, 6:46 pm

The horrible and all too predictable after lunch wobble but fortunately we were well on top in the morning and evening sessions and so take the day.

*Blatant Namedropping Alert* Years ago at the Guildford ground I had a chat with Alec Stewart and sang the praises of squad player Arun Harinath who had made 80 odd in a rare first time outing the week before. Stewie didn't ignore the Baron's efforts but nonetheless his frustation was clear. He said something like, ''80 is useful but it won't normally by itself win you a match. Once you've got that far, you need to go on and double it''.
It is Ryan Patel who makes me think back to that conversation. Patel is in the form of his life atm and is regularly making handy scores - 76 today - but I would suggest should be making even more to properly take the game away from the opposition.

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 May 2022, 10:18 pm

You know it’s cricket season when Guildford is name dropping conversations with Surrey big wigs. Beautiful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat, thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 13 May 2022, 12:20 pm

Pity about That's all not getting his ton, but impressive hitting from Overton and Curran.....5 batting points jimbob!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 13 May 2022, 1:14 pm

Plenty of runs for Surrey , I see. But are your fellows trying for a record number of batsmen dismissed in the nineties ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 13 May 2022, 1:17 pm

3rd nonagenarian for Surrey today, can SC go 10 better

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 May 2022, 1:30 pm

If he's coming in at 9 (With Clark at 10!!), why is Jacks playing over an actual spinner?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2022, 1:53 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If he's coming in at 9 (With Clark at 10!!), why is Jacks playing over an actual spinner?

We've done the first part very well in getting a big total and 5 batting points for JimBob. However, the second part consists of taking 20 wickets on this track against their decent batting line up. That's likely to be far more difficult and strongly backs up Olly's concern.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 May 2022, 4:19 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Pity about That's all not getting his ton, but impressive hitting from Overton and Curran.....5 batting points jimbob!
Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 May 2022, 4:20 pm

600 up clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 13 May 2022, 4:24 pm

I've never understood batting on when you get to a score of 550/600

You have taken losing out of the equation really, so give yourself as long as possible to bowl them out twice. Worse case scenario you have to bat again, but you haven't lost anything in that case
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 May 2022, 4:36 pm

Afro wrote:I've never understood batting on when you get to a score of 550/600

You have taken losing out of the equation really, so give yourself as long as possible to bowl them out twice. Worse case scenario you have to bat again, but you haven't lost anything in that case

I very much disagree with this line of thinking in general personally - when you get to 500/550 odd, that is going to be the easiest time to score quick runs in the game you will get, I always in test/county cricket think - pile them on while you can, and you're actually giving yourself more time because you don't have to potentially faff around with a 20/30 over knock down the line.

Albeit, it is very semantics at the end of the day - taking 20 wickets is the issue now! Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 May 2022, 4:42 pm

Record breaking Surrey highest 1st class score with no one getting a hundred Shocked clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 13 May 2022, 4:43 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Afro wrote:I've never understood batting on when you get to a score of 550/600

I very much disagree with this line of thinking in general personally - when you get to 500/550 odd, that is going to be the easiest time to score quick runs in the game you will get, I always in test/county cricket think - pile them on while you can, and you're actually giving yourself more time because you don't have to potentially faff around with a 20/30 over knock down the line.

Albeit, it is very semantics at the end of the day - taking 20 wickets is the issue now! Very Happy

Fair enough argument, but I always take the approach that you can't win a match without taking 20 wickets, so thats the most important task. We can agree to disagree Hug

Its not normally a problem that we have to worry about very often at Taunton!
Afro
Afro

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 13 May 2022, 4:45 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Record breaking Surrey highest 1st class score with no one getting a hundred Shocked clap clap clap clap

Hadn't noticed that. That can't be far off a first class record full stop. Anyone know the highest first class score without a century scored?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2022, 4:51 pm

Afro wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Record breaking Surrey highest 1st class score with no one getting a hundred Shocked clap clap clap clap

Hadn't noticed that. That can't be far off a first class record  full stop. Anyone know the highest first class score without a century scored?

Surrey have now surpassed it in this game - that's according to the Kent / Surrey comms with much input from Andy Zaltsman (and for anyone listening, god didn't Church go on and on repeatedly!!).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2022, 4:59 pm

Hi Afro, in particular, and all - genuinely interesting posts about declaring or not.

I, of course, fully follow your reasoning about needing to take 20 wickets. All I would throw into the conversation is that sometimes it's easier to take wickets with less overs to bowl. That's if the opposition batting side - and particularly their opening bats - have become knackered and dispirited through having been so long in the field with runs being piled up against them.

A few years ago when he was captaining Surrey in a particular match, Batty was asked to explain why he didn't declare earlier. He replied, ''To p1ss them off.''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 13 May 2022, 5:12 pm

Thanks Guidford. I can understand both sides of the argument, and it is clearly a tactic that varies depending on the circumstances, the time of day, the weather etc.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 May 2022, 6:26 pm

Kent finish the day on 45/1 needing about half a million more to avoid the follow on.

At (the very late) tea, I would have liked 2 wickets by the close but would have taken 1 if offered it. Going to be hard work to take another 19 over the next two days and especially so without a frontline spinner which is where Olly came in earlier.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 14 May 2022, 4:01 pm

Excellent from Surrey to bowl Kent out at tea, special mention to our non front line spinner who's bowled 30 overs and taken 4 wickets, that's why he batted at 9!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 May 2022, 4:12 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If he's coming in at 9 (With Clark at 10!!), why is Jacks playing over an actual spinner?
this aged well Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 14 May 2022, 6:44 pm

Great wicket at the end from our spinner! Have a good rest and back tomorrow for those 9 wickets, we've got all day, so a lot of patience required

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 May 2022, 6:59 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Great wicket at the end from our spinner! Have a good rest and back tomorrow for those 9 wickets, we've got all day, so a lot of patience required
fingers crossed for the weather gooch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 May 2022, 10:39 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
thegooch7 wrote:Great wicket at the end from our spinner! Have a good rest and back tomorrow for those 9 wickets, we've got all day, so a lot of patience required
fingers crossed for the weather gooch

Yep, you guys are spot on. We're going to need patience and good weather.

Hopefully, we can do it. Whatever the final result, we've done bl**dy well to get JimBob maximum bonus points Wink and be in with a chance of victory on a track which looked an absolute road when we batted.

Kent could have been 350/4 still in their first dig now and the game effectively all over. clap clap to Jacks for exceeding expectations and not allowing that to happen along with the other bowlers. Praise also for some fine catches, an especially excellent one at slip by Pope to start Kent's downfall today. Our catching has been a stand out feature so far this season.

I'm happy that we have a night watchman to bowl at in the morning. Trusting we can see him off early to get a further lift.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 May 2022, 4:39 pm

Rats!

Just half an hour's play today. Not enough time to take a wicket, not even the night watchman. Enough time though for me to get annoyed with the tin pot stream.

Just got to hope now that Yorks hold on for the draw against Lancs ....

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 15 May 2022, 7:08 pm

yep lot's of stupid comments on social media about declaring too late ( tea 2nd day) Rolling Eyes
As stated above we did well to get 11 wkts how they think another session would have got us 9 wkts beggars belief.
Now time for some T20 thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat, thegooch7 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down