The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 25 Jun 2022, 5:29 pm

Surrey have named a strong 14-man squad for their LV= County Championship encounter against Kent at the Kia Oval this Sunday.
There is no place in the squad for Reece Topley Headscratch or Jason Roy
Jordan Clark Matt Dunn and James taylor remain on the treatment table.
Full Squad:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Sam Curran
Ben Geddes
Will Jacks
Tom Lawes
Conor McKerr
Dan Moriarty
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith (wk)
Cameron Steel
Amar Virdi
Dan Worrall
probably Lawes, Moriarty and Virdi to miss out though I'm not happy with the Topley decision steam
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Voice of the Beehive Sat 25 Jun 2022, 6:02 pm

On balance I agree with you, jimbob, on the four water carriers although I'm not sure whether to read anything into both the frontline spinners being named in the squad, certainly can't see any way they will both be playing.

I'm hoping the evil empire will allow Sammy to do his job and bowl his fair share of overs.

Voice of the Beehive

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 26 Jun 2022, 6:12 am

My guess on the 3 to miss out - Lawes, Virdi and Steel.
Fully with JimBob about Topley. Do we know if Sam is allowed to bowl and, if so, are there restrictions on how much?

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 26 Jun 2022, 10:52 am

Agree with everyone on Topley - would look a much stronger side with him in for McKerr or Lawes

I wonder whether Roy is white-ball only now, in previous years you'd have expected him to play CC cricket when not with England

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 10:56 am

Kent win toss and bowl
Moriarty, Steel ( washing up duty) and Virdi miss out.
Lawes rewarded after his sparking debut Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Jun 2022, 11:30 am

Kent deciding to bowl first is an interesting decision - I'd have looked to get that Surrey bowling attack, which looks really quite weak on paper, into the field first.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 11:51 am

oh Ryan

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 11:59 am

Burns out to a awful delivery picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 1:04 pm

137 for 2 at lunch
Have to say apart from Milnes this is a bang average bowling attack.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:14 pm

50 for Amla clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:37 pm

1st batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:48 pm

50 for Geddes clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 3:50 pm

100 For Amla Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 3:54 pm

2nd batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Jun 2022, 3:58 pm

Quite a good session that one for Surrey!

Still perplexed by the toss decision from Kent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 26 Jun 2022, 4:19 pm

Just seen the score at tea. Good stuff, eh chaps! I reckon a few more bonus points coming your way, JimBob. 😃

Amla going at a fair lick, above 75 per 100, unusual for him. Poor Kent attack as already said but still got to put a score on the board etc. More than useful support from the boy Geddes as well.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 4:21 pm

200 Partnership clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm

Amla goes to Bell Drummond picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 4:52 pm

3rd batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:02 pm

First championship ton for Geddes!

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:06 pm

James100 wrote:First championship ton for Geddes!
You know my thoughts

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:24 pm

4th batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:33 pm

50 for Smith clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:49 pm

Geddes goes for a excellent 124 clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:56 pm

all 5 Batting points Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:59 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:all 5 Batting points Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

In one day too - calls for a celebratory orange juice tonight Jimbob! RedWine
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 6:22 pm

50 for Baby face notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 26 Jun 2022, 6:29 pm

Smith out in the last over of the day mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Jun 2022, 8:58 pm

Shame to lose Smith in the final over of the day, but otherwise a pretty perfect day all round!

And, cynically, from a point of moving the game on, if SCurran and Jacks can bat for an hour tomorrow, that might do that nicely! Would like to see us throw the bat around tomorrow morning for 20/25 overs, try get the innings towards 550-600, and declare to give them an awkward 20/30 minutes before lunch.

Still fancy taking 20 wickets with this attack might be tough though. The continuing lack of either Moriarty/Virdi is bizarre to me...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Sun 26 Jun 2022, 9:13 pm

I have to be honest and say that I didn’t think we’d see Amla make three figures again. Stronger attacks still to face but what a bonus if he can produce this form for the rest of the season especially if Rory gets back in the England side.

I think having an extra spinner would have been useful. I’m not sure whether Lawes is in to shorten the tail or because Sam is limited as to how many overs he can bowl or, heaven forbid, isn’t allowed to bowl at all.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 27 Jun 2022, 12:46 am

Re Amla - following on from Beehive’s post, I would guess his presence and the odd word was valuable to Geddes in him getting a maiden Championship century. I remember seeing him help schoolboy Sibley to his double ton.

Re declaration - personally I like Olly’s suggestion but I suspect they’ll bat past lunch if they can. At the last forum meeting, Stewart said they batted so long and got so many against the same opposition at Beckenham in order to be able to afford to have fielders always round the bat when Jacks bowled. He thought we would have won there with that approach had the last day not been rained off. Does anyone know if the weather is likely to be a factor here?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Jun 2022, 8:31 am

We could lose some time to rain today Guildford - looks forecast around midday-ish

Tomorrow/Weds look ok though
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Jun 2022, 12:35 pm

Sammy finally gets his hundred heart
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 27 Jun 2022, 2:23 pm

673/7 declared with 4 tons! Think the total and the timing are darned good. Same or very similar total as at Beckenham but at a quicker lick.

I’ll leave JimBob and Olly to debate the merits of Lawes’ 0 not out off 1 delivery and whether he has to pay his match fee yet.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 27 Jun 2022, 4:02 pm

guildfordbat wrote:673/7 declared with 4 tons! Think the total and the timing are darned good. Same or very similar total as at Beckenham but at a quicker lick.

I’ll leave JimBob and Olly to debate the merits of Lawes’ 0 not out off 1 delivery and whether he has to pay his match fee yet.
it was a quality leave Laugh

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Mon 27 Jun 2022, 7:51 pm

I’ve been unable to watch any of the game so far. Is this another Beckenham/Bristol bore draw or is our bowling attack good enough to take another 18 wickets quickly enough ?

Second question is - would we have had a greater/lesser/or about the same chance if we had picked Moriarty or Virdi ?

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Jun 2022, 11:44 pm

Voice of the Beehive wrote:I’ve been unable to watch any of the game so far. Is this another Beckenham/Bristol bore draw or is our bowling attack good enough to take another 18 wickets quickly enough ?

Second question is - would we have had a greater/lesser/or about the same chance if we had picked Moriarty or Virdi ?

Haven't watched enough to make comment on the pitch, albeit there does seem to be a short boundary one side which may have inflated scoring rates a tad. Re: the bowling attack good enough to take another 18 wickets, I don't think so no...and as such, I think we would've had a greater chance if Moriarty/Virdi were playing in place of Lawes. Said so at the beginning of the game, it's a bizarre continued selection, and even more with Sam Curran seemingly not on a pitch count from the ECB.

Trevor Bayliss oft did some bizarre things in the red ball arena, but I always agreed with his motto of "if you think the pitch/conditions require 5 seamers, then 4 seamers will be more than enough. If not, you need better seamers."
Lawes is distinctly the 5th seamer in this lineup, it is ludicrous he has been selected ahead of a proper frontline seamer - if this comes back to Stewart/Batty's seemingly new "they must do more than one thing" mantra for selection, then they have a disturbing lack of faith in our top 7 batsmen in this instance, if Lawes has to play at 8 because he can bat a bit better than Virdi/Moriarty.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 28 Jun 2022, 5:56 am

Also unable to watch but agree with the general feeling that Virdi or Moriarty would have been a better choice than Lawes. Even without hindsight, the batting was surely strong enough to allow one of them to play instead of Lawes. We have recognised batsmen 1 to 7. Atkinson would be no fool at 8 and McKerr would be fine in a biffer’s role at 9.

Btw, Olly, don’t know if you’ve seen but Paul Edwards in his day one report for cricinfo strongly questioned Kent’s decision to put Surrey in and pointed out so did many spectators. Back in 2019 I met Edwards at the Guildford ground. A good cricket guy, astute and knowledgeable. He was very impressed with Jamie Smith who was making his Championship debut that day.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:42 am

guildfordbat wrote:Also unable to watch but agree with the general feeling that Virdi or Moriarty would have been a better choice than Lawes. Even without hindsight, the batting was surely strong enough to allow one of them to play instead of Lawes. We have recognised batsmen 1 to 7. Atkinson would be no fool at 8 and McKerr would be fine in a biffer’s role at 9.

Btw, Olly, don’t know if you’ve seen but Paul Edwards in his day one report for cricinfo strongly questioned Kent’s decision to put Surrey in and pointed out so did many spectators. Back in 2019 I met Edwards at the Guildford ground. A good cricket guy, astute and knowledgeable. He was very impressed with Jamie Smith who was making his Championship debut that day.

Yes the Kent guys on comms yesterday were also questioning that decision (Was watching when Curran was near his century). One of the members at our club is also a longtime Kent member, a lot of unrest there this season from what I gather
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 28 Jun 2022, 12:08 pm

One hour played and no wickets. Not encouraging.

Going to be an even worse day for Surrey if Hants beat Essex. Despite needing the highest innings score of the match which is never easy - eh, Olly 😉- Hants need 180 odd more with 9 wickets left and are probably now favourites. We need Harmer to take wickets even if Jacks doesn’t!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Jun 2022, 12:41 pm

So turns out I was wrong - no overs from Curran today, maybe he is on a pitch count?

Which makes the Lawes selection even more baffling - he's bowled 4 overs in the innings and we're 8 overs from the 2nd new ball!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Jun 2022, 1:28 pm

He took two wickets in his cursory over or two before lunch - of course!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 28 Jun 2022, 3:00 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:He took two wickets in his cursory over or two before lunch - of course!
now a 3rd and to think some people didn't want him to start Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 28 Jun 2022, 3:29 pm

All 3 bowling points in the bag Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Jun 2022, 3:33 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:He took two wickets in his cursory over or two before lunch - of course!
now a 3rd and to think some people didn't want him to start Wink  

Some of these idiots you get on this forum don't know their arse from their elbow eh Jimbob Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 28 Jun 2022, 3:38 pm

Essex’s narrow win over Hants helps us. Duty’s post on the Championship thread provides details.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 28 Jun 2022, 4:06 pm

Halfway there Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Tue 28 Jun 2022, 7:43 pm

Not convinced this sort of wicket makes for great entertainment, nor does much to help with the problem of so many fast bowlers getting injured but hopefully Surrey's bowlers can do the job tomorrow. Personally I think the draw is just the more likely outcome especially as who knows whether Sam will be allowed to bowl. Good luck to our bowlers, they may need it.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 29 Jun 2022, 9:52 am

That was a bad last session for Surrey. With total hindsight, we would have been much better off if rain had wiped it out allowing our bowlers to put their feet up and preventing Kent from putting on an undefeated 121 to edge them closer to making us bat again. Thus, our bowlers still need to take 10 wickets, have less runs to play with and probably begin pretty knackered after more than a day and a half in the field.

Kent have scored around 3 an over so far in this match. If they stay close to that rate, they should be 50 or so ahead after 90 more overs are bowled today and just about safe. That’s even assuming we can make serious inroads into their batting. If they’re ahead at all and only 3 or 4 down at 4:50, I would expect handshakes all round and a draw.

That all rather miserably said, we could of course still win. However, even if we do, I’m sure it would have helped to have Moriarty or Virdi in the side. Admittedly, I would have left Lawes out and he’s done best (so far) but a second spinner for one of the several seamers would still be my approach.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 29 Jun 2022, 11:57 am

Olly sold me a pup saying the weather was going to be ok.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next