The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC play offs next season

+8
Oakdene
geoff999rugby
neilthom7
Old Man
No 7&1/2
Pot Hale
Welshmushroom
RugbyFan100
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

URC play offs next season - Page 2 Empty URC play offs next season

Post by RugbyFan100 Wed 25 May 2022, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/rugby-unions-and-urc-on-a-collision-course-over-competition-timeframe-1.4862657

If I'm reading this right (and I may not be) Anayi says it's likely that the URC play offs next year won't have any test players in, as they'll be preparing for the world cup. Is that correct?

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

URC play offs next season - Page 2 Empty Re: URC play offs next season

Post by Intotouch Sun 05 Jun 2022, 10:46 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Intotouch wrote:Wow Pothale! You have made a proper record of so many facts to do with Irish rugby. It’s very impressive.

Years ago I thought that the IRFU had about 23 centrally contracted players. Why did they reduce the numbers of these?

Because it cost them more money.  And the number of definite first team starters has reduced.   And the provinces are able to generate more of their own funds to pay players.

Since the provinces are owned by the IRFU I don’t see how it costs them less money not to have more of them.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 06 Jun 2022, 1:47 am

Intotouch wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Intotouch wrote:Wow Pothale! You have made a proper record of so many facts to do with Irish rugby. It’s very impressive.

Years ago I thought that the IRFU had about 23 centrally contracted players. Why did they reduce the numbers of these?

Because it cost them more money.  And the number of definite first team starters has reduced.   And the provinces are able to generate more of their own funds to pay players.

Since the provinces are owned by the IRFU I don’t see how it costs them less money not to have more of them.

Central contract or Category A contract players are contracted directly with the IRFU, and not with their provinces.  Their salary costs are not in the provinces playing budgets. They are paid from central IRFU income revenues.

The salary range for Category A is €400k up to 550k plus top ups from IRFU approved 3rd party backers.   They manage and monitor the players playing minutes more tightly and the majority of their playing minutes are made up of European Cup and Test rugby.  Only players who are deemed to be first pick in their test position and have reached a particular point in their career are likely to get one.  Currently, they have two props, two locks, one back row, two halfbacks, three midfielders and a winger as Category A.  14 players at an average of €500k each for next season with revised salary cuts.  

All the other players are on IRFU provincial contracts across 3-4 categories B-E.  The IRFU requires the provinces to generate their own money to pay their squads and coaching staff.   They use the Competition Income they receive from URC/EPCR to pay the same fixed amount €110k avg as a contribution to the salaries of the senior players in the squads - about €3.5m per province.  The provinces are re-charged for the balance of the provincial salaries - approx €13m total paid from the gates and private sponsors of all four.  The IRFU also gives one-off grants to individual provincial branches to help pay for particular costs e.g. additional resources for amateur game development at branch level.   Leinster with the greatest income can therefore maintain the highest player budget;Connacht, with their relatively low gates and sponsor money, have the smallest budget.   That, in effect, is the salary cap, within Irish rugby.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2