The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

+13
formerly known as Sam
jimbopip
Oakdene
Luckless Pedestrian
PhilBB
No 7&1/2
Pete330v2
Irish Londoner
geoff999rugby
Welshmushroom
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
Old Man
17 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  Empty Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  A979ec10

New name, bit of a rebrand…..but same old Dragons? Hopefully not!

Player movements:

Players In:

Bradley Roberts from Ireland Ulster
JJ Hanrahan from France Clermont
Rhodri Jones from Wales Ospreys
Sean Lonsdale from England Exeter Chiefs
Max Clark from England Bath
George Nott from England London Irish
Sio Tomkinson from New Zealand Highlanders
Angus O'Brien from Wales Scarlets
Lewis Jones from Wales Cardiff
Rob Evans from Wales Scarlets

Players Out:

Taylor Davies returned to Wales Scarlets
Dan Babos released
Mesake Doge released
Tom Griffiths released
Jordan Olowofela returned to England Leicester Tigers
Max Williams released
Josh Lewis to Wales Merthyr
Jonah Holmes to England Ealing Trailfinders
Dan Baker to Wales Aberavon
Owen Jenkins to Wales Wales Sevens
Will Talbot-Davies to England Coventry
Greg Bateman retired
Joe Maksymiw to France Agen
Evan Lloyd to Wales Ebbw Vale
Carrick McDonough to Wales Ebbw Vale
Adam Warren to Wales Llandovery
Harry Fry to England Hartpury University

Some decent signings there, on paper. And lots of players leaving who were not that good. But also losing a couple of decent ones in Doge and Holmes.

Fingers crossed for a few more wins this season Fingers Crossed Wales

Back to top Go down

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  Empty Re: Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

Post by Old Man Mon 27 Jun 2022, 7:34 pm

Did Percy Montgomery not play for them when they were Gwent Dragons?

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  Empty Re: Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2022, 8:01 pm

Old Man wrote:Did Percy Montgomery not play for them when they were Gwent Dragons?

Yes Percy joined us at Rodney Parade initially with Newport RFC, and then stayed with us at Dragons when the game went ‘regional’. We’ve had quite a few SA players over the years, both pre and post regional rugby. Some cracking players off the top of my head:

Percy, Bobby Skinstad, Adrian Garvey, Gary Teichmann, Tonderai Chavanga, Franco Smith, Robbie Kempson.

More recently players like Rynard Landman and Brok Harris have been decent. Great to see Brok Harris winning the league recently! Not something he could have done with us!

Last edited by The Oracle on Mon 27 Jun 2022, 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Mon 27 Jun 2022, 8:04 pm

Loved Adrian Garvey, modern day style prop, could run and pass very well.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 27 Jun 2022, 9:57 pm

Have to say, I really liked what David Buttress had to say about the rebrand. I am looking forward to the kit launch now.

I’m also looking forward to the takeover deal being finalised.

Dragons really need to make the most of this excitement amongst a lot of the supporters.

Some decent pre season games lined up too (Wasps and Bristol announced at home, thus far).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 28 Jun 2022, 11:11 am

Perhaps I’m doing Dai Flanagan a disservice too.

Dai Sport wrote: The Llanelli outfit banked a respectable 65 tries during the URC season and made the fifth-highest number of line breaks of any team in the league; while only the freewheeling Vodacom Bulls and DHL Stormers produced more offloads in attack.

RiscaGame

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2022, 11:45 am

RiscaGame wrote:Perhaps I’m doing Dai Flanagan a disservice too.

Dai Sport wrote: The Llanelli outfit banked a respectable 65 tries during the URC season and made the fifth-highest number of line breaks of any team in the league; while only the freewheeling Vodacom Bulls and DHL Stormers produced more offloads in attack.

Yes I'm perhaps guilty of that too.  Scarlets did have a good attack.  Their defence was iffy though.  Conceded nearly as many points as us!  And interestingly they conceded 60 tries, while we 'only' conceded 46 (if I'm reading the table correctly).  Ours was the lowest tries conceded in the bottom half of the table (if that's anything to write home about!)  So we need to make sure we keep the defence up while hopefully Flanagan instils a more attacking gameplan to get our try tally up, as ours was 2nd lowest behind only Zebre (21 tries for us, 11 for Zebre).  Not always easy as a more open running gameplan tends to lead to more holes in defence.

Edit:  sorry, scrap some of that.  I was looking at a table on Ultimate Rugby which appears to be wrong.  The one on the URC site I assume is accurate:

Dragons 36 tries for; 71 against
Scarlets 65 for; 73 against.  

So yes slight worse defence but much better try scoring prowess than us.  Of course you have to factor in the players available to the respective teams too.  You'd expect a team with their backline to perhaps score more than ours, but some good signings by us may make some difference for next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 11 Jul 2022, 11:48 am

Cardiff and Dragons have done a straight-swap with with U20s prop forwards. I remember reading this a couple weeks ago. Not sure why both just did bring on their own. Maybe a case of they nicked one from us so we nicked one back.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 13 Jul 2022, 9:00 am

Dragons RFC announce that they are going to the Wild West, to play our one eyed friends, for our last pre-season friendly.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2022, 10:09 am

I've booked to take my lad to Dragons v Bristol. 26th August. Hoping for a cracker. Not bad £15 for the two of us. And as far as I can tell it's the same price for sitting anywhere, including up in the Hazell stand where it is traditionally more expensive I think. Still, I've chosen to sit over in the Bisley Stand where it's a bit nicer (for kids) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 13 Jul 2022, 10:21 am

I can only do the Wasps home one, which is a bit of a shame. Think I am down Manorbier for the Bristol game.

I might live it up a bit and go in the Bisley, as the Compeed does my head in slightly, nowadays.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2022, 10:44 am

It’s a bit quiet over the Bisley in fairness. Any noise always seems to come from the Hazel/Compeed side. I think the standing nature of the terrace over there makes it more conducive to singing and shouting and standing in a group of like minded people doing the same. And drinking more too when stood up.

When we used to have season tickets over that side, and the crowds were bigger, it was very loud in amongst it. Changing season tickets to the other side years back and sitting down in a long row with your mates just completely changed the dynamic. Less inclined to sing, drank less (maybe a good thing!), only really spoke to the person either side of you. And in hushed tones Smile A very different experience.

If I I’d taken my son to the terrace he wouldn’t have been able to see anything! I used to struggle at 5’9” with tall people and those damn pillars! As an 8 year old he’d just be looking at the arse of the guy in front!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2022, 10:47 am

P.s. I picked up some nice training gear in the end of season sale. T shirts for £10-12. This was before the rebrand was announced so it’s obviously got the old badges. Still, some nice stuff. One of the only advantages of your team doing so poorly is the end of season sale has some real bargains Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2022, 10:51 am

For example:

https://vx-3.com/products/dragons-travel-tee-21-22?_pos=18&_sid=3f5bb3804&_ss=r

Also see they’ve now got the new ‘RFC’ stuff out too:

https://vx-3.com/collections/dragons-rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 13 Jul 2022, 11:25 am

I bet I was one of the tall people ha. I used to love the terrace, but that's probably what it is that it doesn't seem as full now and the some of the chants that you could kind of avoid with other noise, is more obvious now.

I own quite a lot of the older training stuff already. I will definitely buy a lot of the new stuff. Just waiting for the kit, to see whether I buy more training stuff, or less and a shirt. Of the training stuff, I love the design on them all and I especially love the sweatshirt.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 13 Jul 2022, 12:01 pm

Do they have any winter jackets? I layer up in winter and the cold still goes straight through. Not keen on spending £500+ for Canada Goose, etc.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jul 2022, 12:46 pm

Here you go Mikey, although its just going to be padded so nowhere near as warm as down:

https://vx-3.com/products/dragons-lorica-jacket-22-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 28 Jul 2022, 4:59 pm

SWA wrote:DRAGONS URC FIXTURES

Round 1: Edinburgh (a) – September 16/17/18

Round 2: Munster (h) – September 23/24/25

Round 3: Sharks (h) – September 30/October 1/2

Round 4: Benetton (a) – October 7/8/9

Round 5: Cardiff (a) – October 14/15/16

Round 6: Ospreys (h) – October 21/22/23

Round 7: Zebre (h) – October 28/29/30

Round 8: Lions (a) – November 25/26/27

Round 9: Stormers (a) – December 2/3/4

Round 10: Cardiff (h) – December 23/24/26

Round 11: Scarlets (a) – December 30/31/January 1

Round 12: Bulls (h) – January 6/7/8

Round 13: Glasgow (h) – January 27/28/29

Round 14: Leinster (a) – February 17/18/19

Round 15: Connacht (h) – March 3/4/5

Round 16: Ospreys (a) – March 24/25/26

Round 17: Ulster (a) – April 14/15/16

Round 18: Scarlets (h) – April 21/22/23

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP FIXTURES
Wasps (a) - December 9/10/11
Pau (h) - December 16/17/18
Pau (a) - January 13/14/15
Wasps (h) - January 20/21/22

URC Fixture weekends came out today. Pretty tough start.

Tough for all of the Welsh pro teams, having to all tour SA without their internationals, due to the fourth AI (Rounds 9/10).

It also seems like we're going to be giving up another Scarlets home fixture to Judgement Day.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 28 Jul 2022, 6:49 pm

Yeah not a great opening 6 rounds for us on that draw. Hoping we catch Munster and Sharks at home on the cold side. Think 3 wins out of 6 is probably the very best we can hope for.

I just hope we don't start selecting front line players for the challenge cup and focus 100% on the league.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 29 Jul 2022, 9:41 am

They'll definitely have to target the league. Despite Flanagan coming in, there's still a lot of pressure on Dragons RFC after the two wins.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2022, 8:44 pm

Tyler Morgan has joined Biarritz. Was linked with us when he was released by Scarlets, but joined the 7s circuit instead. However, with the announcement that the separate unions would be re-joining forces to prepare for the Olympics and World Series (I think?) I guess places would be limited in GB.

Good move for him. One I never imagined to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 06 Aug 2022, 12:45 am

We apparently tried to sign him and pulled out. Bit mad

Can’t pretend to care about a centre’s injury record and still try to employ Cory Allen.

Last edited by RiscaGame on Sat 06 Aug 2022, 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 06 Aug 2022, 8:02 am

Can’t agree it is a tough start.
I reckon your last 7 games are tougher than your first 7.

3 away games you have to target as possible results.
Zebre at home.

Playing Munster without the Irish players
A Munster side without POM, Beirne, Coombes in the pack is a very different beast from one with them

Also Sharks will be without their Internationals,
When the Bulls arrive they will be fully loaded

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 07 Aug 2022, 11:13 am

I think ideally we would’ve liked to have started at home. I agree, it’s not a bad time to play Munster, but then they walloped us last year without loading up. I’d generally expect an SA team to outmuscle us still, without internationals.

Ultimately, we have to do better at home anyway, so games against weakened teams are ones Dragons should target. Guess last season doesn’t leave me very confident, even with all the signings.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 08 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

It is being reported Irish international May only miss one game at the start of the season, not the usual two.
So you may face a full Munster side after all.
My guess is Coombes, Murray, Casey, Earls, Loughman, Scannell will be available but POM and Beirne given another week off

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 08 Aug 2022, 7:35 pm

Dragons will be pretty strong regardless, as it’s probably only Rowlands that will require a break. Guess others like Ben Carter and Basham might have a bit of a rest too (not as much though), but we have players like Moriarty, two Welsh international hookers and Brown who haven’t toured.

I still think Munster won’t load up too much, but it generally doesn’t really matter.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2022, 9:58 pm

One of the things that really annoys me is when we get a load of call ups, e.g. for the autumn series or 6N, but then the Dragons guys are only fringe squad members and don’t play…… and yet they still are not released back for club games. Players like Carter in the last 6N (or was it autumn?) didn’t play but was kept in squad just in case and ended up not playing any rugby for months. Meanwhile the Dragons are down to bare bones and getting humped by all and sundry. Boooooooo!

As we see more of the old stars coming back from injury we might see more Dragons players becoming more ‘fringe’ and not getting Wales game time when called up. I suppose fewer might get called up in the first place too which might work out for us. But at one point (I think during the last AIs) we had nearly a full pack of internationals away (although some were injuries but would probably have been called up anyway) - Doge (with Fiji), Brown, Dee, Carter, Rowlands, Moriarty, Basham, Wainwright.

Nice that our players are deemed to be that level, but release them back when not used mun!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 09 Aug 2022, 11:12 am

The Oracle wrote:One of the things that really annoys me is when we get a load of call ups, e.g. for the autumn series or 6N, but then the Dragons guys are only fringe squad members and don’t play…… and yet they still are not released back for club games. Players like Carter in the last 6N (or was it autumn?) didn’t play but was kept in squad just in case and ended up not playing any rugby for months. Meanwhile the Dragons are down to bare bones and getting humped by all and sundry. Boooooooo!

As we see more of the old stars coming back from injury we might see more Dragons players becoming more ‘fringe’ and not getting Wales game time when called up. I suppose fewer might get called up in the first place too which might work out for us. But at one point (I think during the last AIs) we had nearly a full pack of internationals away (although some were injuries but would probably have been called up anyway) - Doge (with Fiji), Brown, Dee, Carter, Rowlands, Moriarty, Basham, Wainwright.

Nice that our players are deemed to be that level, but release them back when not used mun!

Yeah, I got it during COVID bubbles etc, but I did feel a few times we would be better playing Carter. The trouble with it is, the travelling reserve requirement kills us a bit too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 09 Aug 2022, 1:16 pm

The new badge looks a bit "Wakefield Trinity" ?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 09 Aug 2022, 1:19 pm

Similar design to a few teams, I believe.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2022, 2:45 pm

There was a bit of a fuss on Twitter, including (surprise, surprise) from our lovely friend PhilBB, about the Dragons badge including the fleur de lys as it has historical links to slavery.  Something to do with branding slaves with the Fleur de Lys.  I'm sure it will be have to changed due to this at some point.  Not sure what the rugby club/town in Caerphilly called Fleur De Lys will do though!

Last edited by The Oracle on Thu 11 Aug 2022, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 10 Aug 2022, 2:02 pm

The Oracle wrote:The was a bit of a fuss on Twitter, including (surprise, surprise) from our lovely friend PhilBB, about the Dragons badge including the fleur de lys as it has historical links to slavery.  Something to do with branding slaves with the Fleur de Lys.  I'm sure it will be have to changed due to this at some point.  Not sure what the rugby club/town in Caerphilly called Fleur De Lys will do though!

That's the Scouts f**ked then !!

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 10 Aug 2022, 4:41 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:
The Oracle wrote:The was a bit of a fuss on Twitter, including (surprise, surprise) from our lovely friend PhilBB, about the Dragons badge including the fleur de lys as it has historical links to slavery.  Something to do with branding slaves with the Fleur de Lys.  I'm sure it will be have to changed due to this at some point.  Not sure what the rugby club/town in Caerphilly called Fleur De Lys will do though!

That's the Scouts f**ked then !!

If every company and symbol with a link to slavery was deleted by the 'cancel culture' there wouldn't be an awful not left.
It occured to be one day that when the crowd were toppling that statue in Bristol, I bet there were plenty of them wearing Primark undies, a product of the modern slave trade. Hmmmm

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 10 Aug 2022, 4:42 pm

Galaxy brain thinking.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 11 Aug 2022, 1:38 am

I didn’t want to end up red penning this thread, so it’s best to wrap up all comments on the badge etc. I did try writing in amber for a half warning, but I’ve had to make sure the warning is clear.

Nobody needs another discussion about the same old “woke” stuff and all that. I know that wasn’t the intent when brought up, but it’s heading that way now.

This is a rugby discussion site, not anything outside of that, which can be divisive. I’ll lock this thread for a day, to let the message sink in. Anything subsequent to do with that kind of stuff, will result in a ban.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2022, 11:44 am

Enjoy the new season folks.  The Oracle is taking a break from the boards.

Oracle, out!  thumbsup  Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 15 Aug 2022, 3:15 pm

All the best, if you nose the site again.

Hopefully the next time you visit, Dragons RFC will have started sweeping all before them.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Aug 2022, 4:01 pm

Now I’m sat here wondering if this is yet another supporter chased off here by the Newport mafia! Smile

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Aug 2022, 4:03 pm

Couple players injured and Rowlands to have a rest, aside from that a good squad to pick from albeit quite a new one. If it’s considered close to our best team they need to hit the ground running, while our opposition will be without a number of their internationals - I do appreciate Munster, Sharks, etc are very strong regardless.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 17 Aug 2022, 11:49 am

Guest wrote:There was a bit of a fuss on Twitter, including (surprise, surprise) from our lovely friend PhilBB, about the Dragons badge including the fleur de lys as it has historical links to slavery.  Something to do with branding slaves with the Fleur de Lys.  I'm sure it will be have to changed due to this at some point.  Not sure what the rugby club/town in Caerphilly called Fleur De Lys will do though!

I was just building up to the Dragons completely ripping off the badge of Louisville City Football Club, too.

https://www.loucity.com
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 18 Aug 2022, 9:44 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Couple players injured and Rowlands to have a rest, aside from that a good squad to pick from albeit quite a new one. If it’s considered close to our best team they need to hit the ground running, while our opposition will be without a number of their internationals - I do appreciate Munster, Sharks, etc are very strong regardless.  

Yeah really looking forward to the new season now. Our issue is less in the forwards. When we have our full side out we get our fair amount of ball. I just hope Tomkinson is the answer for us at 12. I hope him and Clark start for us. Reed looked good at 10 for us at the end of last season so I hope he gets some early starts as well. I hope O'Brien slots in at 15 and that we carry on using Rosser and Dyer on the Wings.

This year our home record simply has to be better than it was last year.

How many wins at home would do you reckon we will get Mikey?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 18 Aug 2022, 1:53 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Can’t agree it is a tough start.
I reckon your last 7 games are tougher than your first 7.

3 away games you have to target as possible results.
Zebre at home.

Playing  Munster without the Irish players
A Munster side without POM, Beirne, Coombes in the pack is a very different beast from one with them

Also Sharks will be without their Internationals,
When the Bulls arrive they will be fully loaded

Depends how you look at it. Of the 12 games on the league not including the Welsh Sides our season will look like this.

Home - Munster, Sharks, Zebre, Bulls, Glasgow, Connacht

Away - Edinburgh, Treviso, Lions, Stormers, Leinster, Ulster.

So my point on why I think its a tough start is because at home I would have preferred to start with any of the other 4 sides instead to give us time to bed in properly. Realistically of the away 6 fixtures it's probably safe to say Stormers, Leinster & Ulster are totally out of reach for us. Edinburgh however have been excellent at home and probably rank 4th hardest team in that bunch.

So starting your season with your 4th hardest away fixture, followed by 2 of your hardest home fixtures is going to be make or break for us in terms of confidence. Sure this could go 2 ways and I really hope we start the season with a bang. I don't count the Welsh fixtures because to be honest form often goes out of the window with those games and are a total flip of a coin.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 20 Aug 2022, 11:30 am

Welshmushroom wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Couple players injured and Rowlands to have a rest, aside from that a good squad to pick from albeit quite a new one. If it’s considered close to our best team they need to hit the ground running, while our opposition will be without a number of their internationals - I do appreciate Munster, Sharks, etc are very strong regardless.  

Yeah really looking forward to the new season now.   Our issue is less in the forwards.  When we have our full side out we get our fair amount of ball.  I just hope Tomkinson is the answer for us at 12.  I hope him and Clark start for us.  Reed looked good at 10 for us at the end of last season so I hope he gets some early starts as well.  I hope O'Brien slots in at 15 and that we carry on using Rosser and Dyer on the Wings.

Hopefully we play locks at 2nd row, no back-row forwards (Lonsdale in mind). I thought Tomkinson was the 13, with Clark as the 12? I'd also like to see more of Rosser at 13. AOB as 10/15 cover. We'll have Ashton Hewitt back too, hopefully he picks up where he left off and isn't too badly effective by the serious injury and surgery. I'm not sure who else we could put at 15. It would have made a lot of sense for us and team Wales to keep Jonah Holmes here, who could cover wing and full-back very well. Thanks again for alienating him, Pivac.

Undefeated at home Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 20 Aug 2022, 11:33 am

Aside from Ioan Davies who I thought was let go, there's a certain David Richards listed as full back on the site. Must be from the premiership.

*EDIT - Of course the magician himself, Jordan Williams. I hope he's less injured this time around.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 20 Aug 2022, 11:38 am

A lineup I'd like to see at some point, though not necessarily our strongest (we don't know yet):

Rob Evans, Elliott Dee, Leon Brown, Will Rowlands, George Nott, Sean Lonsdale, Taine Basham, Ross Moriarty, Gonzalo Bertranou, Sam Davies, Ashton Hewitt, JJ Hanrahan, Sio Tomkinson, Jared Rosser, Jordan Williams.

Plenty of the new boys on show.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 21 Aug 2022, 12:59 am

mikey_dragon wrote:A lineup I'd like to see at some point, though not necessarily our strongest (we don't know yet):

Rob Evans, Elliott Dee, Leon Brown, Will Rowlands, George Nott, Sean Lonsdale, Taine Basham, Ross Moriarty, Gonzalo Bertranou, Sam Davies, Ashton Hewitt, JJ Hanrahan, Sio Tomkinson, Jared Rosser, Jordan Williams.

Plenty of the new boys on show.

Not far off our strongest really. I think Roberts will start ahead of Dee and I also think Clark will be centre mostly. I also think when fit Griffiths will play 7, to make our strongest team. Tbh, I probably think JJ will start more at 10 too. I would expect him to be a bit safer goal kicking.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 21 Aug 2022, 9:55 am

Just some options. If Clark is 12, JJ can move from fly-half to inside centre when Sam Davies comes on. It's nice to have a few good options, finally. Ben Carter could start too, whilst George Nott can also play back-row. I would start Griffiths every time if he wasn't routinely injured, so I hope he has better luck this season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 21 Aug 2022, 4:05 pm

Yeah, I got what you were saying, that’s why I said I didn’t think you were far off strongest anyway. It is great to have options. Just have to really make it count now.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 22 Aug 2022, 9:05 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:

Yeah really looking forward to the new season now.   Our issue is less in the forwards.  When we have our full side out we get our fair amount of ball.  I just hope Tomkinson is the answer for us at 12.  I hope him and Clark start for us.  Reed looked good at 10 for us at the end of last season so I hope he gets some early starts as well.  I hope O'Brien slots in at 15 and that we carry on using Rosser and Dyer on the Wings.

Hopefully we play locks at 2nd row, no back-row forwards (Lonsdale in mind). I thought Tomkinson was the 13, with Clark as the 12? I'd also like to see more of Rosser at 13. AOB as 10/15 cover. We'll have Ashton Hewitt back too, hopefully he picks up where he left off and isn't too badly effective by the serious injury and surgery. I'm not sure who else we could put at 15. It would have made a lot of sense for us and team Wales to keep Jonah Holmes here, who could cover wing and full-back very well. Thanks again for alienating him, Pivac.

Undefeated at home Wink.

From what I saw on his pro record Tomkinson played 46% of his games at Inside Centre and 37% on the Wing. He's only started at 13 in 17% of his games. I think Clark can play both inside and outside. I just hope we don't start Tomkinson on the wing as our wing options are already pretty good.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 25 Aug 2022, 2:46 pm

Team announced for the Friendly against Bristol:-

Dragons: Angus O’Brien, Rio Dyer, Sio Tomkinson, Jack Dixon, Jared Rosser, JJ Hanrahan, Rhodri Williams; Rhodri Jones, Bradley Roberts, Chris Coleman, Huw Taylor, Sean Lonsdale, Harri Keddie (c), Lennon Greggains, Ollie Griffiths

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Rob Evans, Lloyd Fairbrother, George Nott, Ross Moriarty, Lewis Jones, Will Reed, Max Clark, Jordan Williams, Josh Reynolds, James Benjamin, David Richards

Looks like Dragons will be playing Tomkinson at 13 this year. Good to see O'Brien, Dyer and Rosser all retain their starts. Got to be our best back 3. Looks a fairly decent 15 for a starting friendly. Got some quality on the bench as well. All we need now is for us to put Bristol away and get some early confidence rolling.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next