The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

+13
formerly known as Sam
jimbopip
Oakdene
Luckless Pedestrian
PhilBB
No 7&1/2
Pete330v2
Irish Londoner
geoff999rugby
Welshmushroom
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
Old Man
17 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  - Page 4 Empty Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  - Page 4 A979ec10

New name, bit of a rebrand…..but same old Dragons? Hopefully not!

Player movements:

Players In:

Bradley Roberts from Ireland Ulster
JJ Hanrahan from France Clermont
Rhodri Jones from Wales Ospreys
Sean Lonsdale from England Exeter Chiefs
Max Clark from England Bath
George Nott from England London Irish
Sio Tomkinson from New Zealand Highlanders
Angus O'Brien from Wales Scarlets
Lewis Jones from Wales Cardiff
Rob Evans from Wales Scarlets

Players Out:

Taylor Davies returned to Wales Scarlets
Dan Babos released
Mesake Doge released
Tom Griffiths released
Jordan Olowofela returned to England Leicester Tigers
Max Williams released
Josh Lewis to Wales Merthyr
Jonah Holmes to England Ealing Trailfinders
Dan Baker to Wales Aberavon
Owen Jenkins to Wales Wales Sevens
Will Talbot-Davies to England Coventry
Greg Bateman retired
Joe Maksymiw to France Agen
Evan Lloyd to Wales Ebbw Vale
Carrick McDonough to Wales Ebbw Vale
Adam Warren to Wales Llandovery
Harry Fry to England Hartpury University

Some decent signings there, on paper. And lots of players leaving who were not that good. But also losing a couple of decent ones in Doge and Holmes.

Fingers crossed for a few more wins this season Fingers Crossed Wales

Back to top Go down

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  - Page 4 Empty Re: Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 13 Jan 2023, 9:56 pm

The Welsh teams are enjoying playing in France this season Very Happy Congrats on a great win there, hopefully the Dragons can make a run in Europe.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23  - Page 4 Empty Re: Dragons RFC - new name, new season: 2022/23

Post by RiscaGame Fri 13 Jan 2023, 10:28 pm

It was a very good win. No scrum v no lineout. Nott was clearly MOTM and not any Pau player.

Coleman is going to keep getting pinged by refs. If Fairbrother isn’t ready next week, we need to give Yendle a shot. I suspect Fairbrother will be back next week though, bless him.

We owe Lions two, so let’s do it next week and have a crack at a home last 16 place. Hopefully Rhodri or Gonzo are available, as despite Chris Kirwan saying Lewis Jones played well and the assist, I think he’s quite head on fire all the time. We should’ve ran their pack around more. It doesn’t matter anyway tonight haha

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 14 Jan 2023, 9:47 am

Well done dragons clap clap clap
Any win in France is worth celebrating.
I hope you thump the Lions and that'll set us up nicely for the 28th when Glasgow descend upon you.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 14 Jan 2023, 11:09 am

Fairbrother is a rock, hope he returns for us. Would like to see Sio and AOB back too. Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for Coleman to start looking like a pub team player again, perhaps he needs to go to RGC too….

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Jan 2023, 11:15 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Fairbrother is a rock, hope he returns for us. Would like to see Sio and AOB back too. Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for Coleman to start looking like a pub team player again, perhaps he needs to go to RGC too….

I'm not in a rush to see Tomkinson back to be honest. I haven't been impressed with him at all. Max Clark's done pretty well the last few games.

George Nott has been a very good signing I'd say. Plus it's good to get the number of Gogs up!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Jan 2023, 11:17 am

Does anyone know exactly what the delay is with Leon Brown? They must have a good reason for not playing him, given Coleman's struggles.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 16 Jan 2023, 11:23 am

I actually think Tomkinson has looked good at center for us. He's not a winger though.

Clark trucks it up but I'm not sure he is up to the standard of URC rugby. To be fair to him though there are some seriously quality 12's in the league so that does not do him any favors. He is solid but Dixon has been better I think.

What Dai really needs to do is get some heavy weight props in and one juggernaut lock that is affordable. Our scrum has been shown up the last few weeks and if we ever want to get out the bottom table we need to start there.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 16 Jan 2023, 11:27 am

I'd probably go after Gabriele Venditti from Zebre. What I have seen of him he could turn out to be real quality with the right coaching. Plus being 6'7 and 20 stone helps him at set piece. He's also young enough at 25 to really invest in for the next 3-4 seasons.

He wouldn't cost the world either as I doubt many clubs have him on their radar.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 16 Jan 2023, 12:05 pm

I think Clark has been good at 12 and 13, he doesn't seem to be given much opportunity though. He'd go well given more game time with Sio as both are good on the ball.

I think we need two locks, replacements for Rowlands and Joe Davies... Unless there is a vast improvement, which I doubt will happen we should let go of Seiuli and Coleman.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 16 Jan 2023, 12:36 pm

Evans hasnt been the answer either in the games he has played.

Brown has talent but his injury record is starting to go the same way as Samson Lee for the Scarlets and we simply can't afford players with injury records like that if we want to be competitive.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Jan 2023, 12:45 pm

Speaking of players with injury records, was Ollie Griffiths alright in the end? He was having a good game as well before he went off.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 16 Jan 2023, 6:36 pm

Sio started well for us, but then Dai obviously picked Steff Hughes as soon as he could. Just seems like Sio is forcing things a bit now, when he’s back at centre.

I think I prefer Clark to Dixon, but I think the first choice centres are Dixon and Hughes.

I don’t think Griffiths is alright and it seemed to be a chest injury? I’m sure there’s no news yet, but I can’t see it being an easy fix. Hope it is though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 17 Jan 2023, 12:14 pm

The wider issue aside from our out of contract players at Loosehead, Tighthead and Lock which should be key recruitment areas for us the only worth while players currently still out of contract are:-

Loosehead - Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Smith (Ospreys), Sutherland (Ulster), Nche (Sharks)

Tighthead - Fagerson (Glasgow), Williams (Exeter), Riccioni (Saracens), Sclavi (La Rochelle, Bamba (Lyon)

Lock - Ryan (Leinster), Henderson (Ulster), Tshiunza (Exeter), Lewies (Harlequins), Lavanini (Clermont), Kremer (Stade Francais)

The majority of those will probably be resigned or go to better clubs. Aside from those I would see the majority of players looking for clubs a downgrade of what we have.

I hope Dai at least goes for some of the ones on the list above. Nche, Riccioni, Sclavi, Tshiunza, Lavanini, Kremer & Lewies. The rest on the list above we have no chance of signing.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 17 Jan 2023, 12:16 pm

Forgot Roets (Sharks). Beast of a man. Would pick him up as well if the other targets didnt come through.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 17 Jan 2023, 12:33 pm

Nicky Smith might sign with someone outside of Wales after the recent snub.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:The wider issue aside from our out of contract players at Loosehead, Tighthead and Lock which should be key recruitment areas for us the only worth while players currently still out of contract are:-

Loosehead - Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Smith (Ospreys), Sutherland (Ulster), Nche (Sharks)

Tighthead - Fagerson (Glasgow), Williams (Exeter), Riccioni (Saracens), Sclavi (La Rochelle, Bamba (Lyon)

Lock - Ryan (Leinster), Henderson (Ulster), Tshiunza (Exeter), Lewies (Harlequins), Lavanini (Clermont), Kremer (Stade Francais)

The majority of those will probably be resigned or go to better clubs.  Aside from those I would see the majority of players looking for clubs a downgrade of what we have.

I hope Dai at least goes for some of the ones on the list above.  Nche, Riccioni, Sclavi, Tshiunza, Lavanini, Kremer & Lewies.  The rest on the list above we have no chance of signing.

Maybe Gonzo can have a word to get Sclavi on board.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 17 Jan 2023, 12:40 pm

And Kremer, the better choice over Lavanini Wink. I have a sneaky feeling we might just keep Screech permanently instead, don't shoot the messenger...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 19 Jan 2023, 3:07 pm

Gonzalo Bertranou out for the rest of the season.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 Jan 2023, 3:52 pm

Yeah I saw that, real shame. But apparently Rhodri Williams will be back soon.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 19 Jan 2023, 5:58 pm

Bad news that.

Rhodri back this weekend, I think. Has to start for me, as I’m not impressed by Lewis Jones, even if he did do a few good things last weekend.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 20 Jan 2023, 8:54 am

Can we just use the two from the academy instead of Lewis Jones?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 20 Jan 2023, 9:34 am

I would rather use the two at Newport or the one at Ebbw Vale before Lewis Jones too (on the whole).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 20 Jan 2023, 9:59 am

I've heard it through the grapevine music that a deal between the regions and the WRU has been agreed. Apparently we're going back into private ownership, with an American coming on board. This was from someone who's usually in the know about stuff like this.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 20 Jan 2023, 10:38 am

Lovely stuff.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 20 Jan 2023, 10:44 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've heard it through the grapevine music that a deal between the regions and the WRU has been agreed. Apparently we're going back into private ownership, with an American coming on board. This was from someone who's usually in the know about stuff like this.

On Gwlad someone said the deal was signed last week, the Ospreys were the last region to sign.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Jan 2023, 5:29 pm

So Lewis Jones had another shocker today, we can't afford to carry this. Reed is a talented player but can blow hot and cold in the space of one half of rugby, hopefully he continues to improve but I noticed this about him early on (with Wales U20).

Certainly a game of two halves. Lions were strong and physical as expected, but our error count was too great and we left ourselves a big mountain to climb. The subs came on and did well, probably goes to show that our first team is pretty good. Brodie Coghlan continues to impress.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 22 Jan 2023, 5:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I've heard it through the grapevine music that a deal between the regions and the WRU has been agreed. Apparently we're going back into private ownership, with an American coming on board. This was from someone who's usually in the know about stuff like this.

How many billions is the yank worth?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 22 Jan 2023, 6:22 pm

I feel sorry for Reed playing outside Lewis Jones, but it doesn’t excuse his goal kicking. I am interested in a trip to Glasgow at some point, but we’ve gone from the glamour of hosting Racing, to going to Toulon and then going to Glasgow as a result of today. It’s a shame we did so poorly. I was pretty surprised to see Fairbrother struggling a bit in the scrum.

Bench very good. Pity we lose four key players now for Glasgow next week. Be pretty weak in the backrow, with no Moriarty, Wainwright or Griffiths. Not sure who we can play 8.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2023, 10:19 am

mikey_dragon wrote:So Lewis Jones had another shocker today, we can't afford to carry this. Reed is a talented player but can blow hot and cold in the space of one half of rugby, hopefully he continues to improve but I noticed this about him early on (with Wales U20).

Certainly a game of two halves. Lions were strong and physical as expected, but our error count was too great and we left ourselves a big mountain to climb. The subs came on and did well, probably goes to show that our first team is pretty good. Brodie Coghlan continues to impress.

Coghlan's been excellent off the bench, and crucially his darts have been accurate.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 23 Jan 2023, 1:48 pm

Morning dragons fans.
Dragons are more and more reminding me of Scotland a few seasons ago. You have a really exciting back three, a tasty back row (when they are fit) and often get yourself into positions to win. But then conspire to lose, usually through their own ineptitude; knock ons, missed lineouts and taking the ball into contact individually rather than as part of a pod were right up there as Scotland's go to methods for failing. The excellent Squidge Rugby did a You Tube vidoe on how Scotland were able to look superb until the Red Zone and then looked like escapees from Charlie Carolli's circus. picard
When I watch Dragons I do get a sense of deja vu. So much so that they are in danger of becoming my second team.
They really should have won yesterday but somehow didn't. As a neutral it did seem to me that in the first half the Lions didn't need to work that hard for their tries but in the second half the Lions made you really work for everything. However, when the pressure was on the Lions they stated to make mistakes in defence, concede penalties and look very beatable. Quicker ruck ball and smarter decision making would have finished them off.
i'd be interested in any ideas as to what side you think will be selected for Saturday. I think with 15 players in Toonie's squad Glasgow will have a second XV look to it. Mind you it was very much a second XV that went to the Rec and stuffed Baarf.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 23 Jan 2023, 2:24 pm

I imagine the team being similar, back-row is probably Lonsdale or Nott, with Ben Fry and Basham at 8.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2023, 3:40 pm

jimbopip wrote:Morning dragons fans.
Dragons are more and more reminding me of Scotland a few seasons ago. You have a really exciting back three, a tasty back row (when they are fit) and often get yourself into positions to win. But then conspire to lose, usually through their own ineptitude; knock ons, missed lineouts and taking the ball into contact individually rather than as part of a pod were right up there as Scotland's go to methods for failing. The excellent Squidge Rugby did a You Tube vidoe on how Scotland were able to look superb until the Red Zone and then looked like escapees from Charlie Carolli's circus. picard
When I watch Dragons I do get a sense of deja vu. So much so that they are in danger of becoming my second team.
They really should have won yesterday but somehow didn't. As a neutral it did seem to me that in the first half the Lions didn't need to work that hard for their tries but in the second half the Lions made you really work for everything. However, when the pressure was on the Lions they stated to make mistakes in defence, concede penalties and look very beatable. Quicker ruck ball and smarter decision making would have finished them off.
i'd be interested in any ideas as to what side you think will be selected for Saturday. I think with 15 players in Toonie's squad Glasgow will have a second XV look to it. Mind you it was very much a second XV that went to the Rec and stuffed Baarf.

That was extremely frustrating!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 23 Jan 2023, 3:58 pm

I thought we would win yesterday, after how the away games went.

Then I saw some clips of them on Viaplay's buildup yesterday and felt less confident, when they highlighted their threats like their big centres and the one wing. The first half was still very disappointing though. I would imagine they will want to start Rhodri on the weekend now, for one.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2023, 4:01 pm

The try straight from the restart was a shocker really, Lewis Jones getting bumped off. It was well taken though, in fairness.

The comeback was great to watch, but you can't leave yourself with that much ground to make up.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jan 2023, 10:48 am

Well Jimbo, you can't say we're not hospitable!  Crying or Very sad

I was on the North Terrace, I could hear there was a good number of Glasgow supporters in the ground. And we have to remember that Glasgow are on a good run of results. I was impressed with Vailanu.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 30 Jan 2023, 10:54 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Well Jimbo, you can't say we're not hospitable!  Crying or Very sad

I was on the North Terrace, I could hear there was a good number of Glasgow supporters in the ground. And we have to remember that Glasgow are on a good run of results in the league.

Sadly, Mr pedestrian, you're not the only luckless poster on these here boards. One minute we're heading for Cwmbran singing along to Goldie Looking Chain and the next were standing on the had shoulder waiting for the RAC man. Maybe next time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jan 2023, 10:55 am

Oh never!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 02 Feb 2023, 9:09 am

Is it wrong but I kind of hope that Moriarty, Dee, Sam Davies get offloaded in the off season. Think Moriarty is in the region of 400-450K on his current deal and I'm sure both Dee and Davies probably are near 200K. That would probably free up 800K of our 5 million budget and opens up some really strong options to strengthen the starting 15.

I know Moriarty is being linked with Northampton & Exeter. I kind of hope we let him go. Some of the price bandings for Welsh Players is way over what their positions values are.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 02 Feb 2023, 12:46 pm

I can understand that viewpoint. I guess Dee might have Welsh ambitions, so maybe the mooted Cardiff move might come around finally. The other two probably feel like it's not worth their while staying in Wales (certainly Davies anyway).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 02 Feb 2023, 2:47 pm

Even last season you would never have thought we could spare Elliot, but apparently they're happy with how Ellis Shipp's been playing, and with Brodie Coghlan coming through and Bradley Roberts, suddenly he doesn't seem indispensable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 02 Feb 2023, 8:52 pm

I’ve said for a while, we can afford to lose a big earner in the back-row. If it’s Moriarty then we need to replace him with a big carrier. Wouldn’t mind losing Davies, AOB can play fly-half, but then we’d need a decent fullback and there aren’t a lot of those in Wales right now. Front 5 needs some strengthening. One thing at a time I suppose.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 03 Feb 2023, 9:13 am

I think our budget relies on us going after guys become they turn up on other sides radar. What we need to stop doing is signing guys past their best. Granted to be fair to Ryan he changed that policy.

There's plenty of hidden gems in the game. For example that monster Vendetti at lock for Zebre has only played a few games but he could have real potential. Exactly the type of guy we need to replace Rowlands.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 22 Feb 2023, 1:40 pm

I'm really hoping Dai has some serious budget available when this contract mess goes through.

There are going to be some good players available and if we free up enough budget we could really target some of them. That's why I would probably let Dee, Davies and Moriarty go as I'm guessing that's a good chunk towards 700-800K.

Think Morris, Kieran Williams & Thomas-Wheeler could all be good pickups.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 22 Feb 2023, 2:34 pm

I doubt we'd get any of those 3. I'd be hoping we could get Ben Thomas and James Ratti from Cardiff if those move on though. Wouldn't mind keeping Dee but he's third choice right now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Wed 22 Feb 2023, 6:30 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:I'm really hoping Dai has some serious budget available when this contract mess goes through.  

There are going to be some good players available and if we free up enough budget we could really target some of them.  That's why I would probably let Dee, Davies and Moriarty go as I'm guessing that's a good chunk towards 700-800K.

Think Morris, Kieran Williams & Thomas-Wheeler could all be good pickups.

Aren’t Dee and Moriarty on the national elite 38 players thing? If so, then we only pay 20% of their wages. If they’re scrapping the elite 38 and asking the regions to fund all of their players wages from their budgets then yes we wouldn’t be able to afford Moriarty anywhere near what he’s reportedly on with the proposed £4.5m.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 23 Feb 2023, 10:03 am

I'm assuming the way it works though is that Dragons pay 100% of the salaries and then receive a reimbursement from the WRU for the 80%.

Looks like this system is all but finished though as the new agreement didn't seem to mention the elite 36 packages.

At least now we for the first time since regional rugby started all 4 sides will receive equal funding. At least we will then see who actually uses the money better in terms of success. This was a long overdue change.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 23 Feb 2023, 2:47 pm

I’m hoping we have our players available more across the regions then. Part of the elite player thing was having extra time with them, and then we can use the funding to get squad cover. So might see those stars who stay (if any stay) playing a bit more. Fingers crossed.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 23 Feb 2023, 3:23 pm

yeah that would be great - im not sure how many of the 36 will still be playing in Wales after the Summer though. And most we really dont have many in there so not sure how much it would affect us.

Dai needs to be really smart though in the summer with signings though. I know the media are making a lot of the 70 welsh contracts up but actually there is a similar problem everywhere. England and France have a lot of players coming out of contract. There will be some quality available in the market if he can pick it out.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 02 Mar 2023, 3:53 pm

Any ideas of numbers of players you're going to be losing?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 02 Mar 2023, 9:56 pm

I’ve heard that it will not be so bad for the dragons as we had such a big clear out last year when we lost 21 players roughly I think it was. Plus, if we’re all going down to £4.5m then the drop for the Dragons is not as great as for the others, I think? I’ve just posted on the Wales international thread about the WRU potentially not allowing NS38 players to be offloaded. Talk of Adams and Williams exits from Cardiff being blocked, but their 80% wages having to be picked up by the region. Ridiculous. If we need to see out 100% of Moriarty’s contract then we’re screwed!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next