The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022

+4
George Carlin
jimbopip
BigGee
RDW
8 posters

Go down

Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022 Empty Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022

Post by RDW Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:39 am

Scotland

Player of the season -
Young player of the season -
Best new cap -
'Must do better' award -

Edinburgh

Player of the season -
Best new cap -
'Must do better' award -
Glasgow

Player of the season -
Best new cap -
'Must do better' award -

606V2 honourable mention award

-

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022 Empty Re: Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Jul 2022, 9:30 am

SCOTLAND

Player of the season - Pierre Schoeman

Young player of the season - Rory Darge

Best new cap - Ben White

Must do better ' pretty much a the senior players, to many to mention

GLASGOW

Player of the season - Jack Dempsey

Young player of the season - Rory Darge

Best new cap - Ollie Smith

Could do better - Again loads, but will pick out Ali Price

EDINBURGH

Player of the season - Mark Bennett

Young player of the season - Ben Muncaster

Best new cap - King Boff

Could do better - Magnus Bradbury, who may look back on his time with Edinburgh with a what might have been look!

Honourable mention to all Scottish posters on the forum on whst has been an intensely disappointing year for us (again). There is a feeling that we are really underachieving now and that's what hurts most. Well done for sticking with it though. In the immortal line from trainspotting - it can indeed be sh*te being Scottish!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022 Empty Re: Scottish Rugby end of season awards 2022

Post by RDW Wed 20 Jul 2022, 9:55 am

Scotland

Player of the season - Schoeman. No other player has been consistently good across all 3 campaigns.

Young player of the season - Darge, who has been a revelation

Best new cap - I'm gonna cheat a bit here and say Bennett, who has been in the wilderness so long he's like a new cap! Great to have the real MB back.

'Must do better' award - Townsend. Inconsistent selections, strange tactical choices, not learning lessons. Honourable mention to Hogg and Russell.

Edinburgh

Player of the season - Bennet - his best season since 2015

Young player of the season - Muncaster - where did he come from?? Honourable mention to Boyle who looked really average last season

Best new cap - Vellacot - his run of games at the start of the season were electric

'Must do better' award - the whole team when it comes to knockout games. Still a major hurdle we're failing to overcome.

Glasgow

Player of the season - Dempsey

Young player of the season - Darge

Best new cap - Murphy Walker

'Must do better' award - Horne, who very much needs to re discover his mojo.

606V2 honourable mention award - Jimbo's quote function abilities. Give it another few years and he might get there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Jul 2022, 12:55 pm

Scotland

Player of the season - Schoeman, consistently gnarly. Must be related to Shrek.
Young player of the season - Darge, by a country mile.
Best new cap - Maybe too early to say but both Titman and the Human Ginger Nut On a Cocktail may well become real stars.
'Must do better' award - Ickle Jonny, if we're being painfully honest. But we'd best check with Aldi Price that that's alright.

Edinburgh

Player of the season - Does anyone care?
Young player of the season - Rory Darge.
Best new cap - The tartan bunnet tigertattie places between his feet when he's serenading tourists with The Ballad Of Lobbie Dosser outside The World's End.
'Must do better' award - FES when he's taking his commission for "loaning the bunnet" to tigertattie.
Glasgow

Player of the season - Dempsey
Best new cap - Human Ginger Nut.
'Must do better' award - Every feccer who was in any way connected to that game against Leinster.

606V2 honourable mention award The Paul Simon "Still Crazy After All These Years" award goes to GC for STILL being funny.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:17 pm

I don't know what to make of that season - be that at franchise level or internationally.

It's clear that at pro level, there are the Saffer sides, then Leinster/Munster and probably also Ulster, then us. Welsh franchises have been mediocre for the last 4 years, as have the Italian sides. Does that process of being in the middle make me feel good in any way? No. Am I encouraged for next season? For Glasgow, definitely not. For Edinburgh, I suppose so as Blair has a brain and will improve as a coach. Am I in any way excited? No.

For the international team, the simple fact is that we've lost, what, 4 out of our last 7 test matches? We had 3 captains in 4 matches this summer and I don't understand how that brings us any further on. As the Scotsman said, it was a good tour for everyone who stayed at home. I have seen teams change shape but I have never seen one in 3 years going from the best NH side defensively to one that concedes tries at will and apparently does not have the collective nous to understand how to deal with restarts.

We're 7th in the world, very slightly flattering to us at the moment. Do we look like a side who will kick on from that? Not at the moment. It does raise the ultimate question, which is are we expecting too much or too little from the side?

I guess we'll only know when we get all of the regulars back for the autumn series.

Sorry for the Mr Magoo impression - not been a good day.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm

See, what you did wrong there was focus on the rugby. That won't put a cherry on top of your day.
I actually think Glasgow have a really good side just waiting to break out.
Hornito-the InvisiblePuma-Forbes-McDowall-Seaman-Fifita- McKay
That would be our second/ third choice set of backs.
It's not all Liz Truss. Granted it's not Anueryn Bevan yet but it could be .

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm

I am not so sure it was a good tour for those left behind.

Russell - is what he brings to the team greater than what he gives away? That question still very much unanswered. Blairhorn definitely improved as the series went on and Thompson showed he was a solid, if unspectacular alternative. Russell needs to play well in the autumn to show us what he used to do. We have not seen much of that form in recent times. Maybe the bigger winner here was Hastings.

Hogg - Well Shuggy has been making a very good impression of a decent FB with Quins in the later part of the season and Ollie Smith did not look out of his comfort zone on his debut. After a well earnt summer off, Hoggy needs to hit the street running with Exeter next season. I hope some competition for his shirt might do him good!

Harris - a bit less clear here, despite Bennett having a very good tour. Chris Harris is a very good player and often looks a lot better in attack for Gloucester than he does for Scotland. Still, Bennett's form and Shuggy coming back into focus with Glasgow will keep him honest.

Brown/McInally - Ashman looks like the coming man and I am not sure the old boys have much left in the tank to hold him back.

Ritchie - maybe the exception to the above. I don't see the 2 x OS experiment being viable against most decent international sides and Ritchie will come back in on the BS in the autumn and probably as captain.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:08 pm

jimbopip wrote:
I actually think Glasgow have a really good side just waiting to break out.

A good laugh like that will be just the thing to cheer GC up after his bad day. Excellent work Jimbo Wink

TheMildlyFranticLlama

George Carlin and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 20 Jul 2022, 9:08 pm

The 2 x OS can work but only when you are playing for turnovers to launch an effective lineout, which we do not have.

Ritchie will be at 6 with Mish at 7 and darge on the bench. Darge will go on for whoever gets gubbed first.

This season wasn’t a write off as we did some development and tinkered around.

I’m totally on the Finn maybe aye/maybe no train. If he’s on form he’s unplayable but if he’s not feeling it, he’s a liability.

Al I know is shoe and Sutherland are great loosheads. Zander is a great TH (penalties excluded). GG and Cummings are very good second rows and our flanks, as mentioned are great as are our wingers. Sadly though that’s where it ends. Our 8 is decent in defence but going forward a total non threat. Our 9 is woeful 80% of the time and good 20% of the time. That ratio is the wrong way round for a pro sportsman. Our non-Finn 10 isn’t even a 10. 12 and 13 just don’t work whoever we pick unless we some day get a hutch/harris or Redpath/Bennett combo.

You don’t win having great in only half your positions. Teams need a spine which to me is still 2, 4or5, 8, 9,10,15. We’re still short of a great hooker, a brute of a lock, a barnstorming 8 and a 9 and 10 combo that have control and attacking prowess. Until we find that, we could have the best wings, fullbacks and flankers in the world but we’d not win tours/championships.
tigertattie
tigertattie

George Carlin and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Jul 2022, 11:06 pm

Has someone hacked your account tiger? That is a surprisingly cogent post. Almost as shocking as FES putting money INTO the poor box.

jimbopip

George Carlin and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Jul 2022, 4:36 pm

jimbopip wrote:Has someone hacked your account tiger? That is a surprisingly cogent post. Almost as shocking as FES putting money INTO the poor box.

What is more shocking:

That I do actually know a bit about rugby?

Or

FES giving to charity? (For the avoidance of doubt, on this occasion, “charity” isn’t a lady of loose morals)
tigertattie
tigertattie

George Carlin, jimbopip and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 21 Jul 2022, 5:48 pm

Tiger! Obviously you know a bit about rugby; you read enough about Glasgow on these boards to know that The Once And Future Champions are an exceptionally good rugby team ( at least for 55 minutes in every game).
FES however, is still lighting his cigars on the flames from bonfires that were once food banks. I tried to explain that if he didn't use up all his Swan Vestas starting conflagration he could light up in the traditional way.
" Just encouraging the workshy back into gainful employment Jimbo. It's not arson it's a philosophical choice."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm

Wonder if FES will be voting for Liz truss. He’s surely a paid up member of the Tory party!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 21 Jul 2022, 7:28 pm

Scotland

Player of the season - Darcy Graham - He’s looking really sharp on the wing. I’d love to see him getting a chance at fullback a bit more too because he just seems the sort of player who could be devastating in a more tactical position.

Best new cap - White - Try on début and some great speed of ball. I’d hope to see a bit more from him as he progresses but he’s got time.

Must do better' award - Tuipilotu - new to Scotland but already showing limitations to his game. What else can he offer despite his barn storming carries into contact? Perhaps Dean deserves a shot considering his dedication.

Edinburgh

Player of the season - Boffelli and I’m sure a lot of Edinburgh fans were happy it was him who won it for Argentina. Honorable mention to Chris Dean who has been back on good form alongside Bennet

Young player of the season - Ben Muncaster - he’s only getting started and has a big future ahead of him.

Best new cap - Kinghorn as a 10. For all the criticism he’s done very well and will be a good backup for Scotland by looks of things.

'Must do better' award - Anyone who is not realising their true potential as a pro player. Edinburgh will only be URC contenders if they have a team that doesn’t degrade in quality dramatically as the injuries mount up and during the international window. There’s young talent and I’d like to see them be as effective as Leinster’s youngsters.

Glasgow

Player of the season - Dempsey - Great carries and aggression. Hope he sticks around.

Young player of the season - Darge - Glasgow finally have a decent openside post Gibbins.

Best new cap - McKay, he’s been electric for Glasgow and I hope he’ll get more go forward ball next season.

'Must do better' award - Wilson. Needs to either retire or ditch the second jobs and focus on his game more.

Honourable mention to Rob Harley who I’m glad to see is moving to France to experience a new rugby culture. Best of luck to him.

606V2 honourable mention award

I’ll give a shout out to Shaun for his unwavering optimism. Don’t worry Shaun it’ll fade eventually but you’ll hopefully avoid becoming a jimbo.. or a GC, FÈS, Tattie, Mr RDW himself or actually, anyone on the Scottish threads..

I’d also like to say that although I might not reply directly to a lot of messages I take the time to read everyone’s opinions and enjoy the alternative views from everyone who contributes. Even Jimbos (once translated).

bsando

NeilyBroon, jimbopip, BigGee and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 22 Jul 2022, 12:45 pm

Scotland

Player of the season - I think I agree with others on this that Schoe has come in and made the biggest impact already to the side

Best young player - who else but Darge?

Best new cap - Darge. He deserves two awards from this prestigious committee.

Must do better - Toonie. Game and tactical management has been utterly dire this season.

Edinburgh

Best player - probably schoe again, but velacott had a great start to the season and can feel aggrieved he hasn't had more time for Scotland. boffelli gets a mention too.

Best young player - muncaster

Best new cap - boffelli by far

Must do better - in pressure games. And defence. It'll come!

Glasgow

Best player - Dempsey or Darge

Best young player - Smith has really come to be the player we expected him to be

Best new cap - McKay, again by quite a margin.

Must do better - as a whole.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down