The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster Rugby 2022/23 Season

+27
doctor_grey
Engine#4
neilthom7
RiscaGame
No 7&1/2
Recwatcher16
tigertattie
sensisball
Sgt_Pooly
mikey_dragon
BigGee
Heaf
formerly known as Sam
Intotouch
bmcr
TJ
Collapse2005
LeinsterFan4life
Oakdene
Pete330v2
Unclear
Kingshu
geoff999rugby
Poorfour
thebandwagonsociety
Maine man
Pot Hale
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Leinster Rugby 2022/23 Season - Page 4 Empty Leinster Rugby 2022/23 Season

Post by Pot Hale Tue 16 Aug 2022, 9:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Interesting season coming up for the boys in blue - reached deep into the knockout rounds in both domestic and European cups and came up short. Some might argue that the depth wasn't there in key positions - notably lock and front row to make it through. With the cutbacks, the squad has been reduced again with a number of Leinster players heading west to Connacht, and promotions from the academy being capped at 4. The good news is that with Toner retiring, Cullen was finally able to get another foreign lock in, with Jason Jenkins moving from Munster. The 26-year old got one cap for the Springboks back in 2018, but hasn't been selected since, so hopefully, Leinster can rely on him being available for in-window games during the season.

The other foreign recruit is the 31-year old, Charlie Ngatai, another 1-cap test player from New Zealand, who will fill in regularly in the absence of Henshaw and Ringrose, and replace the departed Rory O'Loughlin.

All of the coaches' contracts are up at the end of this season, so with the new CEO installed, he'll have a lot on his plate, along with getting the RDS stand redevelopment programme underway.

With RWC coming up next season and test players on restricted programmes, could be another underwhelming season ahead.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Leinster Rugby 2022/23 Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Leinster Rugby 2022/23 Season

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 24 May 2023, 11:29 am

Headlines and journo's would have the season being a write-off.

However the final two matches of the season saw a great Munster performance have a last minute drop goal to take the lead for Leinster to lose by 1 point. La Rochelle, the defending champions deservedly win the final rematch by 1 point.

Well deserved victories for both Munster and LaRochelle.

There are plenty of areas to improve. I thought we were closer to LaRochelle in the final this year that we had been to Exeter/Saracen/LaRochelle overpowered defeats of the past.

Not too many changes made to the squad, more evolution than revolution. Been very impressed with the academy players (and players from u20s). There could be a golden crop coming through.... maybe.... maybe

But on the final to LaRochelle. There is a tactical debrief that needs to happen there.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 24 May 2023, 1:59 pm

No doubt there will. But they need to move on shortly with lessons/shortcomings identified.  

A key question hovers over the leadership group in the club.  Sexton now gone, Ryan seems destined to take on the club captain mantle.   Who is he surrounded by within the squad?   Byrne, Ringrose in the backs, and van der Flier, Conan, Porter up front?

They’re at the limit of their foreign import quota with Alaalatoa, Ngatai and Jenkins so unless there’s an NIQ gem out there then they’re stuck with what they have.  Is Russell the future James Lowe, or Alex Soroka good enough to replace Ruddock?   McKee certainly looks another good hooker prospect and should get plenty of games next season.

Interesting times for the club.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Intotouch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Thu 25 May 2023, 12:20 am

Pot Hale wrote:Great game at the weekend - brilliant atmosphere, two superb teams and nail-biting finish - couldn't ask for more.

Leinster just couldn't do it - Cullen will have a lot of soul searching over the summer.  Nienaber may just be the right new addition to the coaching mix for next season.

Squad changes have been finalised with Kearney, Sexton departing from senior squad and smith and Sean O'Brien heading from the academy over to Connacht - good additions to what is looking like a very good squad for the Westerners for next season.

Incoming for Leinster are 3 academy promotions in Soroka, McKee and Russell who already have some senior game time under their belts.

So far, it doesn't look like any other business to be done.  Minor in comparison to the other clubs - Ulster have 11 players departing, and only 3 senior coming in, plus 5 academy players on development contracts.   Connacht have 8 out and  in with JJ Hanrahan moving from Dragons to Connacht, plus two young players on loan from Ulster.  Munster with 9 leaving along with 3 others from during season, and 5 arriving including 2 academy players.  

Leinster looked lacking in both leadership and sense by the end. I couldn’t believe Byrne didn’t get into position for a drop goal at the end. Nerves may have thrown Lowe off his kicking but still. A couple of smarter decisions and they’d have won that match.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 25 May 2023, 5:26 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Headlines and journo's would have the season being a write-off.

However the final two matches of the season saw a great Munster performance have a last minute drop goal to take the lead for Leinster to lose by 1 point. La Rochelle, the defending champions deservedly win the final rematch by 1 point.

Well deserved victories for both Munster and LaRochelle.

There are plenty of areas to improve. I thought we were closer to LaRochelle in the final this year that we had been to Exeter/Saracen/LaRochelle overpowered defeats of the past.

Not too many changes made to the squad, more evolution than revolution. Been very impressed with the academy players (and players from u20s). There could be a golden crop coming through.... maybe.... maybe

But on the final to LaRochelle. There is a tactical debrief that needs to happen there.

Squad wise....you're incredible, it's obviously more of a mental issue now after so many near misses?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 25 May 2023, 9:48 am

Squidge thinks he spotted something in the last series of plays (around from 18 mins into his video). He reckons it looks like Ross Byrne was trying to get Leinster pods to take the ball up near the posts, for a potential drop goal. Meanwhile, Gibson-Park was clearing the ball from the base of the ruck quickly, and looking wider. He notes that the half-backs were often separated, with little opportunity to communicate over that passage of play.

When play stopped for the injury (and resulting red card), it was Byrne who called the whole team over. Squidge takes that as a sign he might have been frustrated they weren't all on the same page, and needed to spell out what he wanted from the scrum.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Thu 25 May 2023, 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 25 May 2023, 10:23 am

All valid observations. There was a single point in the difference at the end of the game. So it's close.

My head goes back to the 6pt margin in the second half. It felt like the team dynamic was that we'll hold on to this lead as it is for an entire half. And we appeared to say to ourselves, let's hold on from here, no need to change tact and get back beyond a score in front. We can hold out and it turned into the kid with his finger in the hole in the dam. It became inevitable.

We gave up the tempo, defended the 6pt lead, and let their oversized players dictate the pace of play as they had possession.

And then a couple of things we were doing went wrong, compounding issues. We'd win turnovers, not with penalty advantage and fluff the clearance or knock on straight away. we'd kick out on the full. A lot of our kickers then got slower in their kicking motion risking charge downs and getting more yippish.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 25 May 2023, 10:35 am

That's an observation I would have never thought to look for. A good experience for Byrne, he will know that now for the next time he is playing in a final.

Leinster have been dominant for a while with their second team, but there's probably going to come a time where everyone else gets better and their seconds are no longer good enough to beat everyone else. Especially with the South Africans now involved, they're always strong up front.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 25 May 2023, 2:10 pm

It's surprising that Healy is being continued with or perhaps they are going to delay making announcement on his retirement until after RWC (assuming he travels). Milne and Clarkson need to get a lot more gametime next season if they're to develop as league regulars. Odd that they're keeping Abdaladze as he's now NIQ following his decision/selection for Georgia.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 25 May 2023, 6:26 pm

Pot Hale wrote:It's surprising that Healy is being continued with or perhaps they are going to delay making announcement on his retirement until after RWC (assuming he travels).  Milne and Clarkson need to get a lot more gametime next season if they're to develop as league regulars.  Odd that they're keeping Abdaladze as he's now NIQ following his decision/selection for Georgia.  
I think Vakh signed a multi year deal before he joined up with the Georgia squad, he won't be here past that. Clarkson isn't good enough currently, his scrummaging is poor and doesn't make up for it at all around the park. I hope he proves me wrong but I can't understand the decision to back this guy ahead of the likes of Ben Griffin.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 29 May 2023, 12:20 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:It's surprising that Healy is being continued with or perhaps they are going to delay making announcement on his retirement until after RWC (assuming he travels).  Milne and Clarkson need to get a lot more gametime next season if they're to develop as league regulars.  Odd that they're keeping Abdaladze as he's now NIQ following his decision/selection for Georgia.  
I think Vakh signed a multi year deal before he joined up with the Georgia squad, he won't be here past that. Clarkson isn't good enough currently, his scrummaging is poor and doesn't make up for it at all around the park. I hope he proves me wrong but I can't understand the decision to back this guy ahead of the likes of Ben Griffin.

On the Vakh side of things. His choice to choose Georgia, best of luck to him. That try from outside the 22' in SA towards the end of the summer and solid scrums will be enough to get him his next gig once the current contract runs out.

Personally, I'd like if the Irish provinces (or maybe even URC wide), for european tier 2 (no jokes) players to get a bit of representation. Even if in the extended squads or additional academy place or something. A club isn't going to go out of business over the cost of a squad/academy contract, but the upside for the next tier is surely more certain?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 29 May 2023, 12:56 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

On the Vakh side of things. His choice to choose Georgia, best of luck to him. That try from outside the 22' in SA towards the end of the summer and solid scrums will be enough to get him his next gig once the current contract runs out.

Personally, I'd like if the Irish provinces (or maybe even URC wide), for european tier 2 (no jokes) players to get a bit of representation. Even if in the extended squads or additional academy place or something.  A club isn't going to go out of business over the cost of a squad/academy contract, but the upside for the next tier is surely more certain?

Fair points. Added to that is a discussion that's supposedly happening around a draft system for younger URC players to move around the 16 clubs to get more game time.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 29 May 2023, 1:07 pm

Leinster Awards gig on Sunday included farewells to 10 Leinster players who retired during season or are leaving at end:

J Sexton - going into business
D Kearney - US Rugby
N McCarthy - US Rugby
J Tracy - retired through injury
T McElroy - released
C Ryan - retired through injury
S O'Brien - moving from academy to Connacht senior
A Smith - moving from academy to Conncht senior
M Hanan - released
Max O'Reilly - released

Incoming players announced so far are limited to 3 academy players promoted to senior squad:

John McKee - hooker
Alex Soroka - back row
Rob Russell - wing

This puts 24 of the 43 senior squad at 26 years or younger.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 29 May 2023, 4:27 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Personally, I'd like if the Irish provinces (or maybe even URC wide), for european tier 2 (no jokes) players to get a bit of representation. Even if in the extended squads or additional academy place or something.  A club isn't going to go out of business over the cost of a squad/academy contract, but the upside for the next tier is surely more certain?

Fair points.   Added to that is a discussion that's supposedly happening around a draft system for younger URC players to move around the 16 clubs to get more game time.  
Exactly the thing to do. I am so unused and still a bit uncomfortable with Rugby making smart decisions.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 29 May 2023, 4:52 pm

Sorry not a fan of drafts.

Firstly within countries only I assume.

I'd love the conversation to young Munster and Ulster lads telling them they have to play for each other Provinces.
I can think of quite a few who would tell you where you can stick your draft.
Wont happen

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon 29 May 2023, 5:27 pm

In theory a draft is a decent idea however in reality in the URC I would doubt it will get any traction.

Firstly I doubt the IRFU would want their players moving outside Ireland where they would have zero control over them.

Both the IRFU and the provinces also wouldn't want the players moving in case they needed them and were left short via injuries etc

There is also that the players would then be subject to the coaching at the clubs they go to, if that coaching is bad it could actually harm their development compared to staying and playing less but receiving better coaching.

Then there are the players, it's hard enough to get players to move within Ireland let alone outside.  Players would rather stay at Leinster and be 2nd or 3rd choice than move to Ulster so what do we think those players will say when we ask them to move to Zebre.

Irish players are also fairly relucatant to move away from home for the most part so theres that.

Then there are the logistical issues.  Who is eligible for the draft, how would that be decided? How to decide where the players go, especially focussing on teams tanking (it's an issue in the NFL no matter how many blind eyes they turn)

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 29 May 2023, 7:47 pm

neilthom7 wrote:In theory a draft is a decent idea however in reality in the URC I would doubt it will get any traction.

Firstly I doubt the IRFU would want their players moving outside Ireland where they would have zero control over them.

Both the IRFU and the provinces also wouldn't want the players moving in case they needed them and were left short via injuries etc

There is also that the players would then be subject to the coaching at the clubs they go to, if that coaching is bad it could actually harm their development compared to staying and playing less but receiving better coaching.

Then there are the players, it's hard enough to get players to move within Ireland let alone outside.  Players would rather stay at Leinster and be 2nd or 3rd choice than move to Ulster so what do we think those players will say when we ask them to move to Zebre.

Irish players are also fairly relucatant to move away from home for the most part so theres that.

Then there are the logistical issues.  Who is eligible for the draft, how would that be decided? How to decide where the players go, especially focussing on teams tanking (it's an issue in the NFL no matter how many blind eyes they turn)

that would appear to mirror the reaction of some Welsh fans to the proposal. Nonetheless, with the shortening of the season, the opportunity for game time for u23s is very limited. I think Nucifora has given up on WRU/SRU and is looking beyond GB to find new comps for youngsters to participate and play in. The cup comp in SA last year was part of that with the Emerging Ireland squad. Be interesting to see what develops on that front.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 29 May 2023, 8:13 pm

It's noticeable that the intake of academy players into senior squads for next season has reduced substantially - only 12 named so far.  A number of development contracts in Ulster and Connacht, increasing their squad sizes slightly.

The player movements of the four provinces looks like this so far:

Leinster - 42 in Senior squad for next season
Out  - 11 incl 2 academy players to Connacht and another released
In - 3 academy players promoted

Munster - 42 in Senior squad for next season
Out - 5 senior players
In - 5 including 2 academy players promoted

Ulster - 46 in Senior squad for next season incl development
Out - 11 players including a season-long loan to Connacht
In - 8 players including 5 from academy on development, and a club player from Munster

Connacht - 47 in Senior squad for next season incl development and 1 player on loan
Out - 9 senior players
In - 9 players including 2 Leinster academy graduates, and an Ireland 7s player.

Of the 177 players:

39 are foreign-born from the following birth countries:
NZ 10
Eng 8
SA 7
Aus 6
US 3
Zim 2
Can 1
Fra 1
Arg 1

10 out of the 178 players are ineligible to be selected for Ireland - just over 6%.
7 are qualified via residency
22 are qualified via parents/grandparents.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 27 Jul 2023, 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 30 May 2023, 10:53 am

Pot Hale wrote:It's noticeable that the intake of academy players into senior squads for next season has reduced substantially - only 12 named so far.  A number of development contracts in Ulster and Connacht, increasing their squad sizes slightly.

Cynical Me might guess that with the 'turmoil' of clubs going boom in England. Those professional players getting absorbed into the other clubs reduces the club capacity and player pool required. Clubs have to keep an eye on the finances. There's reduced risk of an academy player who is stepping into regular senior matches getting offered a contract from another club. Less incentive to shift them early from Academy contract onto their first senior deal. Getting that extra season value out of the academy contract, means the more expensive next contract for the player is one year further out.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 12 Jul 2023, 4:17 pm

https://shop.leinsterrugby.ie/

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 12 Jul 2023, 4:19 pm

Castore drip feed of the new Leinster gear.
Training and travel doesn't look too bad. Different can be good.
It'll be interesting what quality will be like and how long they'll last.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Jul 2023, 3:06 pm

Training tee is very nice. Castore isn’t a bad sponsor (could be macron haha). It does seem a bit of a step down from adidas though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 13 Jul 2023, 5:22 pm

Johnny Sexton disaplinary started at 9am today and may go into 2nd day.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 19 Jul 2023, 2:14 pm

So Castore take a muted relook at the Canterbury jersey 11-12 season with the harp image on the bottom half. Time will tell about jersey quality.

My mind is seeing a clown/joker face (two dashes of the eyes up top and the harp as a mouth below)? That might say more about me.........

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 27 Jul 2023, 7:35 pm

Abdaladze is heading for France to play with Brive on a two year deal.  He's broken the final year of his Leinster contract for the move - no pushback from Leinster on it.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon2 Fri 28 Jul 2023, 10:13 am

Pot Hale wrote:

Abdaladze is heading for France to play with Brive on a two year deal.  He's broken the final year of his Leinster contract for the move - no pushback from Leinster on it.

Always going to happen once he declared for Georgia. We might be a bit light at TH unless some of the younger guys step up.

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 28 Jul 2023, 12:34 pm

Agreed.  So Healy likely to stay on for next season given he covers both positions.  Of the two in the academy - Paddy McCarthy and Rory McGuire - McCarthy looks the more likely to progress.  Played very well in the RWC U20s this year.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon2 Fri 28 Jul 2023, 1:27 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Agreed.  So Healy likely to stay on for next season given he covers both positions.  Of the two in the academy - Paddy McCarthy and Rory McGuire - McCarthy looks the more likely to progress.  Played very well in the RWC U20s this year.

I believe there is also Lasissi as well in the academy. Paddy McCarthy looks like he could be better suited to LH too. Healy will defo play more at TH this season.

TH does look a bit bare when you know Furlong is turning into SOB with his injury profile, and how few games he plays for Leinster.

It will be an interesting season, as it gives an opportunity for teams without many internationals a chance to build momentum and get wins they may normally not get. Remember Connacht in 2016...

Leinster could be down 20+ players for long periods this season.

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4